Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Towel hangers, would be my guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

brugroffil posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but if I was looking for the best home office chair in the ~$500 price range, would this be the place to ask? Daily 8 hour use right now, normally wfh twice a week otherwise, minimal use outside of actual work (lots of computer touching)

As others have said you can get a really nice used chair for $400 to $500, or a really lovely new chair for slightly less that will probably peel and/or fall apart within 12 months. There's a massive used office furniture place near here that is always sitting on hundreds and hundreds of used Aerons from startups and poo poo who want to spend $1600 on fancy office chairs. I think I paid ~$400 for a very lightly used one with all of the bells and whistles (then I spent another $60 on new armrests because the ones that came with it were like rocks).

Argas posted:

And most importantly, try before you buy. If there's a showroom near you, go in and take a look and see if you can try poo poo out. Not all chairs work for the same people.

This is really good advice for all kinds of furniture! I was recently in the market for new living room furniture and of the hundreds of chairs/couches I sat on across four or five showrooms probably 1/20 were comfortable. There seems to be a trend of making couches that look overstuffed and plush but feel like an old futon. Trying out dining room chairs a month later was just as bad.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Towel hangers, would be my guess.

That does make some sense, but there are folded towels sitting there on the shelf.

My guess was a semi-abstract safety thing, like a handrail but overhead. They seem oriented appropriately for that to the steps.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

CaptainSarcastic posted:

That does make some sense, but there are folded towels sitting there on the shelf.

My guess was a semi-abstract safety thing, like a handrail but overhead. They seem oriented appropriately for that to the steps.

That was my assumption too, since those stairs are a death trap once there’s any water on them.

E: also threading a towel through one of those would be a pain in the rear end.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Looks more like a non-OSHA compliant hand rail to me. They even go to with every step.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

CaptainSarcastic posted:

:hmmyes: that works (as an explanation, I mean)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I actually kinda like this minus the green jade lady, but the three rings?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Youth Decay posted:

The Zillow search term of the day is "Greek key".
You know that square spiral pattern that kinda sorta looks vaguely swastika-adjacent? That thing.

why do so many listings for fancy old houses have photos taken by a potato

This mansion was built in 1998, but fine woodwork is timeless.

Another well-done ginormous multi-million dollar historic-modern mansion, this one built in 2006.

On the other end of the spectrum, way out in Canton, IL this 1890s beauty can be had for $143k. A little rough on the outside but inside it's well-preserved.

BONUS: I can't actually use swastika as a search term because nobody is going to advertise that their house has swastikas, but the house with the potato photo above happens to have a swastika bathroom

at least they're facing the other direction?

A 'back to front Swastika ' is an ancient eastern religious symbol, used especially in Hinduism and Jainism which the nazis co-opted.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Swastiks are pretty common in traditional Buddhism / yoga lineages as well

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Those tiles remind me of my dad's ties. Houndstooth knitting.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Lord Bude posted:

A 'back to front Swastika ' is an ancient eastern religious symbol, used especially in Hinduism and Jainism which the nazis co-opted.

I know that. I just thought it was mildly amusing even though it's totally innocent. It's like the one pattern motif that no house is ever going to be advertised with. They'll proclaim the Greek keys and fleur-de-lis and quatrefoils and houndstooth, but fylfots, let's try and ignore those.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Anasazi aint a nazi

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Looking at the smaller version of the picture I thought the statue was a really ugly leather armchair set up for perving on the bath tub.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Thumposaurus posted:

Looking at the smaller version of the picture I thought the statue was a really ugly leather armchair set up for perving on the bath tub.

i mean its not leather but it could be

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I think that's terracotta with some kind of green finish. An actual jade figure of that size would be tens of thousands of dollars, and probably snatched up to make a Buddha statue before artistic nude lady sculptors got to it.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

there wolf posted:

I think that's terracotta with some kind of green finish. An actual jade figure of that size would be tens of thousands of dollars, and probably snatched up to make a Buddha statue before artistic nude lady sculptors got to it.

That’s why I work so hard to carve naked ladies out of Buddha statues

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

The Zillow search term of the day is "Greek key".
You know that square spiral pattern that kinda sorta looks vaguely swastika-adjacent? That thing.

why do so many listings for fancy old houses have photos taken by a potato

This mansion was built in 1998, but fine woodwork is timeless.

Another well-done ginormous multi-million dollar historic-modern mansion, this one built in 2006.

On the other end of the spectrum, way out in Canton, IL this 1890s beauty can be had for $143k. A little rough on the outside but inside it's well-preserved.

BONUS: I can't actually use swastika as a search term because nobody is going to advertise that their house has swastikas, but the house with the potato photo above happens to have a swastika bathroom

at least they're facing the other direction?

The room that 1998 woodworking is in is insanely huge

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Zillow search term of the day is "Revolutionary War"
aka 18th century houses got some wiiiiiiiiiiiide plank floors

like seriously look at these loving planks

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
I'm getting a little hot around the collar looking at all that thick hardwood 🥵

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mocking Bird posted:

I'm getting a little hot around the collar looking at all that thick hardwood 🥵

that runner tho !!!

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Youth Decay posted:

The Zillow search term of the day is "Revolutionary War"
aka 18th century houses got some wiiiiiiiiiiiide plank floors

like seriously look at these loving planks

Jesus wept. I do believe that's 20" cherry in the top pic, and drat well looks like walnut in the bottom. The legends are true.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Mambold posted:

Jesus wept. I do believe that's 20" cherry in the top pic, and drat well looks like walnut in the bottom. The legends are true.

Someone should ripe it up and take a sander to the boards for an aged shiplap wall.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Mr. Mambold posted:

The listing for the top one says it's pine, which was the most commonly used wood for these thicc floors.

Bottom house used several species of wood because it's 1727 and they haven't stripped all the big timber from New England just yet.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Youth Decay posted:

The listing for the top one says it's pine, which was the most commonly used wood for these thicc floors.

Bottom house used several species of wood because it's 1727 and they haven't stripped all the big timber from New England just yet.

I'm reasonably sure the very top one you listed is pine, the knots are pretty much a giveaway. I was referring to the top pic which I quoted of yours as cherry, actually the 4th I think.

Wide pine is not such an anomaly today since it is so fast growing. Cherry a couple hundred years old, almost nowhere like that anymore.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Mr. Mambold posted:

I'm reasonably sure the very top one you listed is pine, the knots are pretty much a giveaway. I was referring to the top pic which I quoted of yours as cherry, actually the 4th I think.

Wide pine is not such an anomaly today since it is so fast growing. Cherry a couple hundred years old, almost nowhere like that anymore.

Yeah by top one I meant the first house you quoted, and the listing says it's pine floors. Could be wrong, I doubt most realtors know how to identify wood.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Youth Decay posted:

Yeah by top one I meant the first house you quoted, and the listing says it's pine floors. Could be wrong, I doubt most realtors know how to identify wood.

Mixed bag. Good realtors know the housing stock in their areas, and are familiar with it's features and construction methods. If your realtor isn't doing stuff like pointing out water damage, walls that have been moved/removed, or how the listing says one thing but they think it's something different, then you have a lovely realtor.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Pr-Revolutionary War log cabin featuring some big, but not huge, logs.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Zillow search term of the day is "octagon"

of course an octagon house needs an octagon hot tub

A marble house with a marble fireplace, yours for $165k.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Are the ceilings really low in those old rear end houses? Or is that just the wide angle shots getting all distorted.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The distorted shots aren't helping, but yes, modest old houses (1700s or before) are famous for low ceilings. Where do you live?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Red_Fred posted:

Are the ceilings really low in those old rear end houses? Or is that just the wide angle shots getting all distorted.

Yeah they are really that low. It's easier to heat a house with low ceilings and in the Little Ice Age and before central heating that was a major consideration.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
In an otherwise quite nice house, there was this bath(?) made from tile and sharp edges:

Also, multiple different blue tiles and naked brick, bleh.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

That's a very strange bathtub. Possibly it's meant to be something else? Like a dedicated dog washing area/muddy boots cleanup area. I know in many households that sort of thing is the only thing a bathtub gets used for.

Also that is an aggressively 1970s house; I hate it.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Megillah Gorilla posted:

In an otherwise quite nice house, there was this bath(?) made from tile and sharp edges:

Also, multiple different blue tiles and naked brick, bleh.

The crazy unpredictability of tiles strikes again

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Youth Decay posted:

of course an octagon house needs an octagon hot tub

It looks like you could drown standing upright in this tub.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Youth Decay posted:

Yeah they are really that low. It's easier to heat a house with low ceilings and in the Little Ice Age and before central heating that was a major consideration.

The exception being Victorian houses in the UK, which are the only ones with decent ceiling heights here.

They had gas lamps & open fires, so more of a smoke dissipation space.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I would absolutely die drunk trying to climb this wall when it all peeled off at about 12 feet up.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Older houses in Australia tend to have high ceilings, although even our oldest houses are mostly much younger than the colonial era houses being discussed in the US. My house has 16' ceilings.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

The Lord Bude posted:

Older houses in Australia tend to have high ceilings, although even our oldest houses are mostly much younger than the colonial era houses being discussed in the US. My house has 16' ceilings.

Its because its hot as hell here, keeps it cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Youth Decay posted:

The Zillow search term of the day is "octagon"
My aunt has an old farmhouse that she put a huuuuuuuuuge addition on about twenty years ago -- despite being larger than the house itself, it actually worked out pretty well, and quality-wise it's not half bad because her brother did the finish work rather than someone who would be able to just cut every corner and then run. In any case, on the back of it all there's an octagonal room maybe ten feet in diameter. The Anabaptists who repaired their barn built it, all hand-carved timber framing with pegs. It's an amazing room, perfect for coffee after Thanksgiving dinner.

The Lord Bude posted:

Holy poo poo. I think my house has 8' ceilings. If I had huge amounts of money to throw around and built new, I'd go for somewhathigher ceilings, but 16'? You might as well hang a hammock from the ceiling for sleeping in winter, since that's where all of your heat has gone.