Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Elentor posted:

I love True Blood's lovely trashy campiness to death but that show embraced its trashiness.

Westworld needs to embrace something.

True Blood owns.

Hell I even like the maenad season!! Its biggest crime was ruining Tara.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Every season of True Blood is entertaining in my opinion.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The only season I'd say is genuinely bad is the last one, and mostly because it was boring.

But then it has the Sookie and Bill ending which is so ridiculous and melodramatic that it nearly makes up for how bad every other episode was.

e: that said the show was much better at toeing the line of trash but self aware when Alan Ball was still showrunner

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I liked the beginning of True Blood where it was fun to learn about the different kinds of mythical creatures.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I really liked the season premiere but the writing in episode 2 seemed worse than... Anything that came before it?

Maeve is now just a sarcastic exposition machine apparently. The square root of minus 1 thing might be the dumbest thing I've seen on TV, ever.

I think I'm just ready for a show about Aaron Paul and robits running around in Neo LA. Westworld itself just feels incredibly tired and depleted. There's nothing more we can see of it that hasn't already been explored to death, so I hope the show doesn't feel the need to go back there again.

e: No actually putting a loving Game of Thrones cameo in was the dumbest thing I've seen on TV.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Human Tornada posted:

The one thing I liked about this episode was that it implied that the guests in Warworld were playing as the Nazis without putting too fine a point on it.

I must have missed this, when was it implied?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Would it be morally ok to torture robots in a theme park if the robots were nazis?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Wafflecopper posted:

I must have missed this, when was it implied?

Just the impression I got. We're used to seeing the hosts run around on rails and the guests step in when they want to. Maeve and that guy were running around with the plans or whatever following their script and the Nazis kept trying to stop them.

I doubt the villagers wearing rags and being held captive were the guests, and that's all we saw besides Nazis. Hosts and guests is the dynamic of the (functional) parks. I guess if we saw some dashing resistance fighters running around they could have been guests, but we didn't.

But like I said when it turned out to be bullshit and there went really any guests at all it became much stupider.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Huh, my complaint last week was that WarWorld was an outrageously stupid idea and I thought that they addressed that by making it just part of a simulation, not an actual park.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I know Dolores has a bunch of brainbulbs she took with her, and that the identity of them is supposed to be a mystery they seem to working up the entire season to reveal.

But does anyone actually care?

Seasons 1 and 2 made it clear that the only actual hosts who are fully realised people are Dolores and Maeve, everyone else is just their thrall. Or Teddy.

Oooh, the CEO of Delos is actually Dolores' father! Okay, and?

When all the hosts only exist as puppets, and we don't even have the original actors playing them, why should I give a poo poo?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I was kind of interested in which hosts she took when the last season ended, but I honestly don't care anymore. I'm kind of more interested in what happened to William when he wakes up and realizes he's in the thing. Does that mean anything or was it just a throw away gag?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Pa Abernathy and Teddy, Clementine I guess but only if she gets her original body back.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Wasn't Teddy in the forge? God I have almost no idea what's going on with any character except Dolores. Anthony Hopkins is still human/dead, right?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Huh, my complaint last week was that WarWorld was an outrageously stupid idea and I thought that they addressed that by making it just part of a simulation, not an actual park.

Now that they're in the real world with real stakes the idea of spending any more time in a park seems tedious and I hope they never go back, and a simulation of a park is even worse.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 28, 2020

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Given how frequenlty complex numbers are used to calculate very real situations it's completely inconceivable that an advanced computer system wouldn't know how to deal with them.

If they were going for a dumb maths joke they could have easily just said "calculate pi to the nth digit" and that would have at least worked somewhat.

:goonsay:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Just watched 3x02 and lmao what a way to follow up an unbelievably sleek and sexy package with a solid hour of self-indulgent garbage I couldn't give less of a poo poo about, goddamn.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Captain Splendid posted:

Given how frequenlty complex numbers are used to calculate very real situations it's completely inconceivable that an advanced computer system wouldn't know how to deal with them.

If they were going for a dumb maths joke they could have easily just said "calculate pi to the nth digit" and that would have at least worked somewhat.

It would have been cool to get some kind of programming quirk or loophole instead of a math joke which doesn't even hang a TI-86. :shrug:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It would have been cool to get some kind of programming quirk or loophole instead of a math joke which doesn't even hang a TI-86. :shrug:

I'm trying to imagine something like Maeve running into corners repeatedly and jumping into small spaces to try to glitch the simulation out and get out of bounds, and it's kinda hilarious to me.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Im on ep 1 but Devs is great so far. Watch that instead of this dreck.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I know Dolores has a bunch of brainbulbs she took with her, and that the identity of them is supposed to be a mystery they seem to working up the entire season to reveal.

But does anyone actually care?

Seasons 1 and 2 made it clear that the only actual hosts who are fully realised people are Dolores and Maeve, everyone else is just their thrall. Or Teddy.

Oooh, the CEO of Delos is actually Dolores' father! Okay, and?

When all the hosts only exist as puppets, and we don't even have the original actors playing them, why should I give a poo poo?

The only possible twist could be that Valkyrie is still Dolores and the Dolores running around is really someone else, but the other robots could just as easily be original creations for as much characterization as any of the other hosts ever got. Armistice and Hector were ok, but I think they’re confirmed dead.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Panzeh posted:

I'm trying to imagine something like Maeve running into corners repeatedly and jumping into small spaces to try to glitch the simulation out and get out of bounds, and it's kinda hilarious to me.

Ha! That would have been awesome. Or even something like a loop with no end state or whatever...basically the same gag but more in-line with the theme of ~programming~ being Maeve's superpower.

BelDin
Jan 29, 2001

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Ha! That would have been awesome. Or even something like a loop with no end state or whatever...basically the same gag but more in-line with the theme of ~programming~ being Maeve's superpower.

To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion!

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

BelDin posted:

To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion!

The "B." in Benoit B. Mandelbrot stands for Benoit B. Mandlebrot

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Was the whole 'everyone is a spy' thing meant to break the simulator? I didn't get that at all.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I guess it was supposed to break everyone out of their simple loop and cause them all to be suspicious which I guess used more resources.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Just watched 3x02 and lmao what a way to follow up an unbelievably sleek and sexy package with a solid hour of self-indulgent garbage I couldn't give less of a poo poo about, goddamn.
Yep. Bring the Cyberpunk.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://twitter.com/GRRMspeaking/status/1243939678102962177?s=19

Either he's late or there'll be more GoT references in episode three. Super.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
oh, god drat it, he was WRITING last week, now this?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If you look at the blog post, it seems he is talking about the dragon scene.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Chances this season ends (or at some point) has Delores talking to the other AI in a virtual world, and the other ai is played by Hopkins or young William? 60%.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
As a Jimmi Simpson fan, I would love if the AI that Deighlaurous finally meets is young William.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Captain Splendid posted:

Complex numbers are easy to work with but asking a computer to define one is impossible. You can multiply 2 cats + 5 and 3 dogs + 12 and lay out a plane of cats and dogs and land on a point. You know what cats and dogs are.

Nothing would stop you from waking down the thought process of describing what exactly that point means, but a naive computer algorithm might not be able to say “wait what?” and give up like a person would. An “intelligent” algorithm might know the usual processes can’t handle the question and then think “okay but what would it mean, even if it’s not real?”. This emulated host-AI got stuck trying to figure out why they can’t figure it out.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SLOSifl posted:

Complex numbers are easy to work with but asking a computer to define one is impossible. You can multiply 2 cats + 5 and 3 dogs + 12 and lay out a plane of cats and dogs and land on a point. You know what cats and dogs are.

Nothing would stop you from waking down the thought process of describing what exactly that point means, but a naive computer algorithm might not be able to say “wait what?” and give up like a person would. An “intelligent” algorithm might know the usual processes can’t handle the question and then think “okay but what would it mean, even if it’s not real?”. This emulated host-AI got stuck trying to figure out why they can’t figure it out.

Any AI complex enough to simulate human behavior and understanding of mathematics like they do in Westworld obviously has an algorithm that understands to a practical level what complex numbers are, they're not some mysterious voodoo. The level of technology and AI in Westworld is well past naive judging by what the main robot characters can do.

The plot is that they start having a philosophical debate about math and it escalates for some reason. As soon as they start talking about i they then jump to the Riemann hypothesis, and chit-chatting about common math problems is enough to crash the simulation because ?!?!

AI: √-x = i*√x if x>= 0
AI2: Waaaaaaaaaaat

*Physics stop working.

It's a dumb plot.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 28, 2020

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

MAEVE opens tablet and begins typing

SIZEMORE: What are you doing?

MAEVE: Just giving us a little advantage, darling.

CLOSE-UP on screen. It reads “JUSTIN BAILEY”

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just realized I missed a golden opportunity to mention my trauma for quaternions.

If the lady got so mind-blown she crashed the system with some basic equations imagine if the guy had told her "i*j is not equal to j*i"

"WHAAAAAAAAAAAT" *system reboots*

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Anything that oscillates requires complex numbers. The simulation has AC electricity for lights, and it simulates a car engine. It knows what i is.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Uh, do you?

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

As a Jimmi Simpson fan, I would love if the AI that Deighlaurous finally meets is young William.

At one point I thought a young William bot would end up killing old William and I still think that’d be cool in the stupid way.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Elentor posted:

Any AI complex enough to simulate human behavior and understanding of mathematics like they do in Westworld obviously has an algorithm that understands to a practical level what complex numbers are, they're not some mysterious voodoo. The level of technology and AI in Westworld is well past naive judging by what the main robot characters can do.

The plot is that they start having a philosophical debate about math and it escalates for some reason. As soon as they start talking about i they then jump to the Riemann hypothesis, and chit-chatting about common math problems is enough to crash the simulation because ?!?!

AI: √-x = i*√x if x>= 0
AI2: Waaaaaaaaaaat

*Physics stop working.

It's a dumb plot.
I’m not totally behind defending it, I just don’t think it was dumb. The part you’re skipping is that it was a simulation with interconnections that don’t exist for real. Gravity doesn’t stop working because there are too many bees, but in a computer program it’s easily possible. Maeve wasn’t simulated in that system, so she and anyone else “real” could take advantage of that.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
They should have just pulled a shuttered Star Trek tos plot point and asked the computer what was love before their heads spun around with smoke coming out their ears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They just needed Austin Powers to make their heads explode.