Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

astral posted:

Did you already enable hardware offloading? You should be seeing much better performance than that.

yep, that was exactly it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

My home network is becoming increasingly unreliable. Most likely my wireless router is going out. It's an Asus RT-N66U that my dad gave to me when his office was throwing stuff out. I work from home, and the network instability is starting to be a real issue, so I'm going to go ahead and rework everything. The problem is that I'm fairly clueless when it comes to networking.

I live in an 188 sq ft townhouse. I have a 250 mbit fiber connection that goes into a structured wiring box in the laundry room, which is upstairs. From there I have Cat5e drops going to the upstairs loft, the master bedroom (also upstairs), and the family room downstairs.

Ideally, I would like to have all of the following devices wired, as well as wifi access points both upstairs and downstairs:

• Loft
    • Work PC
    • Gaming PC
    • Mac Mini
    • NAS (near future purchase)
  • Family Room
    • Apple TV
    • Nintendo Switch
    • Media bridge (near future purchase)
  • Master Bedroom
    • Wife's work PC
    • Apple TV

Any specific suggestions/recommendations on what to buy to make this all happen? I'm not concerned about working out configuration issues or troubleshooting. I just really don't know squat about setting up a wired network.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

TheMadMilkman posted:

My home network is becoming increasingly unreliable. Most likely my wireless router is going out. It's an Asus RT-N66U

That is done with life. I replaced that same unit doing the same thing with a er-x and nanohd and holy cow it was a night and day difference. Everything is rock solid and twice as fast. I wish I had done it a year sooner.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DWW3P6K/
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YFJT29C/

Just walk through the setup wizard. If you need more ports a normal old $40 netgear switch will do it for you.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 28, 2020

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I'm having some issues with my home setup. I have gigabit FiOS to the house, and connecting my PC directly to the AT&T router confirms it's working and the speeds are full 1Gbps as expected.

I have a Unifi Dream Machine (UDM) connected to the AT&T router, with all other devices in my house connecting to the internet through the UDM via other switches and APs. Everything connects fine, but all the ethernet-connected devices max out at 60Mbps. No other problems. I am mystified. All the UDM ports are gigabit, all the patch cables are Cat6. I've turned off all IPS/IDS on the UDM, I have no VPN or anything configured. I'm not sure what else to look at. Everything works fine, just 1/10th of the speed it should be.

[Edit] I solved my own problem. Smart queues! :argh: Disabling that got me up to 600Mbps, which is still pretty shy of the 880Mbps I get on a direct connection bypassing the UDM, but I'll take it for now.

ephori fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 28, 2020

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

TheMadMilkman posted:

My home network is becoming increasingly unreliable. Most likely my wireless router is going out. It's an Asus RT-N66U that my dad gave to me when his office was throwing stuff out.

Any specific suggestions/recommendations on what to buy to make this all happen? I'm not concerned about working out configuration issues or troubleshooting. I just really don't know squat about setting up a wired network.

Given the size of the space you are probably a good candidate for one of the newer wireless mesh setups. Google WiFi or Orbi or similar.

I wouldn't worry about wiring things up as long as you have enough equipment that can use the 5ghz band. Should be plenty of bandwidth in the air to work with if you have equipment that can handle the traffic, which the newer wireless mesh systems will.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

TheMadMilkman posted:

My home network is becoming increasingly unreliable. Most likely my wireless router is going out. It's an Asus RT-N66U that my dad gave to me when his office was throwing stuff out. I work from home, and the network instability is starting to be a real issue, so I'm going to go ahead and rework everything. The problem is that I'm fairly clueless when it comes to networking.

I live in an 188 sq ft townhouse. I have a 250 mbit fiber connection that goes into a structured wiring box in the laundry room, which is upstairs. From there I have Cat5e drops going to the upstairs loft, the master bedroom (also upstairs), and the family room downstairs.

Ideally, I would like to have all of the following devices wired, as well as wifi access points both upstairs and downstairs:

• Loft
    • Work PC
    • Gaming PC
    • Mac Mini
    • NAS (near future purchase)
  • Family Room
    • Apple TV
    • Nintendo Switch
    • Media bridge (near future purchase)
  • Master Bedroom
    • Wife's work PC
    • Apple TV

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Uni...ctronics&sr=1-2

and the er-x is a good choice

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-ER-X-Router/dp/B0144R449W/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=er-x+ubiquiti&qid=1585416613&s=electronics&sr=1-3

wire everything you can, don't listen to the guy saying wireless everything, that should be a banable offense, lol this is the networking thread people!

I personally run the er-x and the unifi ac lite, ROCK SOLID performance! if you find you need 2 unifi ac lite's you can make them the same SSID and your devices will switch between the two for better signal seamlessly. you do need to run a controller, either on a cloud key : https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Uni...ctronics&sr=1-3

or you can run it in/on a pc/server. I run mine in linux on my media server which is on 24/7.

https://www.ui.com/download/unifi

also for a switch, I use this : https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-8-Po...0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

This seems like the right starting point for me. One question, though. It looks like the AP requires PoE, which I currently have no way of supplying. Would it be better to add a PoE adapter to power both the ER-X and the AP, or to bump up to the ER-X-SFP to provide PoE? The cost difference is about $15, and having PoE available for all of the ports might let me try some fun things in the future.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

TheMadMilkman posted:

This seems like the right starting point for me. One question, though. It looks like the AP requires PoE, which I currently have no way of supplying. Would it be better to add a PoE adapter to power both the ER-X and the AP, or to bump up to the ER-X-SFP to provide PoE? The cost difference is about $15, and having PoE available for all of the ports might let me try some fun things in the future.

The single packs come with a POE injector. Or at least, the Nano HD does. Also because Ubiquity is a lovely company the ER-X is a bullshit non-standard poe.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Can I get an Asus router and Unifi AP to hand off more gracefully to each other? I only have problems with my iPhone, but I'm also walking around the house with it.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

The single packs come with a POE injector. Or at least, the Nano HD does. Also because Ubiquity is a lovely company the ER-X is a bullshit non-standard poe.

I checked the amazon questions and it looks like it does come with one. Went with just the er-x and the AP. I’ll figure out additional switching later. This will at least put me where I currently am, but without failing gear.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

TheMadMilkman posted:

I checked the amazon questions and it looks like it does come with one. Went with just the er-x and the AP. I’ll figure out additional switching later. This will at least put me where I currently am, but without failing gear.

If you just need dumb switching I'm using these two to extend my network. Right now I'm at 100% port utilization on the ER-X and the 5-port one is in a box, but when it was in service it was always going full speed ahead. I actually got some extra life out of my Asus router by going to using just 2 ports on it (WAN + LAN) and the 5 port netgear for all wired switching. It meant it did less work for non-wifi clients, so it crashed less often. I wish I had switched to the ER-X back then.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AX8XHRQ/
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KFD0SMC/

I got the 16 port one because I have a dumb number of wired things in my office as while the walls were off I added a bunch of wall jacks.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

TheMadMilkman posted:

yes, i forgot to mention, it does come with a PoE injector. also, i wouldn't power the router with PoE. but that is my personal opinion

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
My brother just built a house with ethernet cables going to each room. What is the thread recommendation for small, unobtrusive, cheap, PoE, wireless access points?

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

Per posted:

My brother just built a house with ethernet cables going to each room. What is the thread recommendation for small, unobtrusive, cheap, PoE, wireless access points?

Are you looking for something that mounts on the wall? I know Ubiquiti has an in-wall model that's AC Wave 2 and also has 4 switchports on it, one even has POE passthrough. Just be mindful of your total POE budget. You'll also want to tune your radio power based on how many APs you put out there and where they are in relation to each other.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

It’s going to be something like a Unifi AC Lite as an access point.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I need you all to help walk me through something. I have a WebODM instance running in a VirtualBox VM on my workstation that I'd like accessible from anywhere on my network. Normally we'd be looking at docker -p foo:bar and calling it a day, but the jump from Virtualbox VM to Windows Desktop to LAN is breaking my train of thought somehow.

The container has its webGUI exposed on 8000, so the first step would be to use VirtualBox's built in port forwarding to bind the 8000 port of the Docker VM to something "local". From there it would be a simple matter of exposing the port to my LAN or the like. Does that track?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Warbird posted:

I need you all to help walk me through something. I have a WebODM instance running in a VirtualBox VM on my workstation that I'd like accessible from anywhere on my network. Normally we'd be looking at docker -p foo:bar and calling it a day, but the jump from Virtualbox VM to Windows Desktop to LAN is breaking my train of thought somehow.

The container has its webGUI exposed on 8000, so the first step would be to use VirtualBox's built in port forwarding to bind the 8000 port of the Docker VM to something "local". From there it would be a simple matter of exposing the port to my LAN or the like. Does that track?

Vboxnet is the command you want. It's buried in the documentation and awful to find. Lookup nat port forwarding vboxnet and it should come up. (mobile posting or I would find it.)

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll check it out.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Per posted:

Used Unifi AC or Unifi AC Lite access points from ebay.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

Per posted:

I'd go with Unifi's in-wall APs. They come in a few flavours, but I just have the UAP-AC-IW-US which is basically an AC-LITE stuffed into a can, with 2x RJ-45 also coming off the bottom. About the same price as well. If he needs more density, go with the HDs. I've got mine powered by a Unifi PoE switch and it's a pretty nice setup.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
I'm looking for recommendations for a reliable, fast mesh network. I have been browsing Amazon for hours comparing and it seems like everything sucks. Do you guys have any advice? I have Comcast cable and am currently using one of the little wall plug netgear extenders in addition to a netgear nighthawk (which is working great just not pushing well through the whole house).

current router:
https://www.amazon.com/R7000-100PAS...ps%2C213&sr=8-2

current extender:
https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-AC12...226&sr=8-4&th=1

I tried to get this and install it:
https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wi-F...85677948&sr=8-4

but it was an absolute nightmare with spotty reception, WiFi dropping for no reason and I eventually just had to return it. Any help/advice is appreciated

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002

Moatillata posted:

I'm looking for recommendations for a reliable, fast mesh network. I have been browsing Amazon for hours comparing and it seems like everything sucks. Do you guys have any advice? I have Comcast cable and am currently using one of the little wall plug netgear extenders in addition to a netgear nighthawk (which is working great just not pushing well through the whole house).

current router:
https://www.amazon.com/R7000-100PAS...ps%2C213&sr=8-2

current extender:
https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-AC12...226&sr=8-4&th=1

I tried to get this and install it:
https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wi-F...85677948&sr=8-4

but it was an absolute nightmare with spotty reception, WiFi dropping for no reason and I eventually just had to return it. Any help/advice is appreciated

Eero, orbi, plume, Google WiFi, unifi mesh are all pretty good. The setups would likely replace your current router.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
I set up Plume for my folks’ house and it’s been pretty solid for them; however I deployed it with (old and amateurly run, but functional) Ethernet backhaul since that was the previous setup, so I can’t actually speak to how well the mesh aspect works. But the pods are plenty powerful and the management software is easy enough to use.

Does require a yearly subscription; but that includes server side software that analyzes signal strengths and traffic flows to reshape the network over time.

tl;dr. not for everyone but what they’re selling seems to work fine.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Eero has a pretty solid security team so I’d probably try them first. Netgear(Orbi) seem to make a lot of mistakes in general but I don’t know about their mesh gear. I can’t speak to the others.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
Appreciate the responses

My coworker was recommending Plume but I was discouraged by the monthly fees on top of what I'm already paying for service.

I just ordered a new modem thru Comcast (apparently mine was too old) maybe that will help. Will probably go with one of the suggestions here if that doesn't help at all.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

Moatillata posted:

Appreciate the responses

My coworker was recommending Plume but I was discouraged by the monthly fees on top of what I'm already paying for service.

I just ordered a new modem thru Comcast (apparently mine was too old) maybe that will help. Will probably go with one of the suggestions here if that doesn't help at all.

If you want to make everything Comcast's problem, they also sell their own mesh solution called X-Fi Pods. No experience with them, I've just seen the advertising for it.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

H2SO4 posted:

If you want to make everything Comcast's problem, they also sell their own mesh solution called X-Fi Pods. No experience with them, I've just seen the advertising for it.

:hmmyes: I do enjoy shoving my problems onto others

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

IIRC, in some markets, the xFi pods also includes unlimited data, so that might save you some cash.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

That is done with life. I replaced that same unit doing the same thing with a er-x and nanohd and holy cow it was a night and day difference. Everything is rock solid and twice as fast. I wish I had done it a year sooner.

My er-x and ac lite arrived today. Got them set up after work. Had a slight bit of trouble because I forgot to input the DNS servers. Still only took about 20 minutes to be up and running.

And, just like H110Hawk said, I wish I had replaced my old router forever ago. Things had been slowly degrading for a while, but it's easy to ignore slow degradation. It's shocking how well everything is working, and I have yet to get most of my stuff wired again, since running a separate router/ap and using PoE injection required snagging ethernet cables from all of my normal spots.

My wiring cabinet is a rat's nest like no other, and will be until I can get out to get some cable and a crimper.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

TheMadMilkman posted:

My er-x and ac lite arrived today. Got them set up after work. Had a slight bit of trouble because I forgot to input the DNS servers. Still only took about 20 minutes to be up and running.

And, just like H110Hawk said, I wish I had replaced my old router forever ago. Things had been slowly degrading for a while, but it's easy to ignore slow degradation. It's shocking how well everything is working, and I have yet to get most of my stuff wired again, since running a separate router/ap and using PoE injection required snagging ethernet cables from all of my normal spots.

My wiring cabinet is a rat's nest like no other, and will be until I can get out to get some cable and a crimper.

you are going to love this setup. glad you got it going pretty painlessly. small learning curve to it but it is dead nuts solid.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

TheMadMilkman posted:

:toot:

If rats nests are wrong I am apparently super wrong. Never look behind my entertainment centers. :stare:

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

H110Hawk posted:

:toot:

If rats nests are wrong I am apparently super wrong. Never look behind my entertainment centers. :stare:

Patch panels are cheap, skip the crimper. So much nicer too.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Are there any racks out there (one shelf would be fine, but more wouldn't hurt, as long as they're not very expensive) that can be mounted on 24'' apart studs? The one that I have (that I installed my patch panel in) was made for 16'' studs and in my basement they put them at 24''. I could put a board perpendicular to the studs but I want to finish the basement at some point in the far future.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Volguus posted:

Are there any racks out there (one shelf would be fine, but more wouldn't hurt, as long as they're not very expensive) that can be mounted on 24'' apart studs? The one that I have (that I installed my patch panel in) was made for 16'' studs and in my basement they put them at 24''. I could put a board perpendicular to the studs but I want to finish the basement at some point in the far future.

Put it perpendicular but flush? That won't prevent you from finishing it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
You can probably get away with just one side of the rack in a stud and anchors for the other unless you plan on hanging some really heavy poo poo off of it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just put another stud in where you want the rack to go

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

So I'm living with my parents for the duration of covid-19 and their WiFi seems to suck rear end. My phone routinely does better at browsing webpages just running off LTE instead of their network. I'm pretty sure it's not a problem with the ISP or the router because a computer that is connected by ethernet seems to work fine. It's a two story house, ~2000 sq ft.

They use Frontier's FiOS service. At least I think it's FiOS and not just standard DSL because we still have the ONT that Verizon installed a decade ago. From what I can tell this means I can't just replace the router entirely, I'd have to configure the frontier router to DMZ to a new router.

So is the right solution here to get a unifi access point?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If ethernet is fine, then yes.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

VostokProgram posted:

So I'm living with my parents for the duration of covid-19 and their WiFi seems to suck rear end. My phone routinely does better at browsing webpages just running off LTE instead of their network. I'm pretty sure it's not a problem with the ISP or the router because a computer that is connected by ethernet seems to work fine. It's a two story house, ~2000 sq ft.

They use Frontier's FiOS service. At least I think it's FiOS and not just standard DSL because we still have the ONT that Verizon installed a decade ago. From what I can tell this means I can't just replace the router entirely, I'd have to configure the frontier router to DMZ to a new router.

So is the right solution here to get a unifi access point?

yes you can, unless they have TV from fios too. if they have just internet with verizon fios, they would have the ethernet from the ONT enabled and you can just run that into a router of your choice. I have a Ubiquiti ER-X running on my FiOS. I own a G1100 from frontier that works with FiOS as well, i began with that and then went ahead and got a ER-X and a Unifi AC Lite. Never looked back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

derk posted:

yes you can, unless they have TV from fios too. if they have just internet with verizon fios, they would have the ethernet from the ONT enabled and you can just run that into a router of your choice. I have a Ubiquiti ER-X running on my FiOS. I own a G1100 from frontier that works with FiOS as well, i began with that and then went ahead and got a ER-X and a Unifi AC Lite. Never looked back.

Even with TV you can do native ethernet, at least if you only have 1 TV it works for me. The only CPE I have at my house is the Frontier ONT box (says Verizon on it) on the outside of my house, and the cablecard mcard in my tivo.