Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
My birthday was Monday and considering Wisconsin shut down Tuesday at 5 PM, I got it in just under the wire. My last birthday drink was with a friend at the bar they work at at 4:58 Tuesday. I never got around to posting my birthday haul, Belle and Sebastian swag edition. No vinyl so there is no reason for it to be in this thread, but look, i’m uploading pics to imgur and writing image tags and wow

Japan editions of their last two albums. Each features one (1) Japan-exclusive bonus track. Getting these was the only way to even hear them, let alone own them in CD quality. I’m now seeking little plastic protective bags like the ones other Japanese CDs I’ve bought came in. Must keep the delicate obis safe

Incredible woodcut print from their 2013 tour. It measures about 19x25”. Throw it on the pile with all the other artwork I can’t afford to frame :smith:

And finally, an incredible double-sided vintage poster, from the extremely brief period where their major label debut was licensed to The Enclave in the States, before they went under and Matador got the album. Notice the Enclave promo disc holding down the bottom-left corner. :smug: Unlike the other prints, this is a standard 24x36” size, and will be framed shortly. Or maybe in 4 months, who knows now. I feel like I’m going to have to display the concerts side?? Tough choice, good choice

Edit

caligulamprey posted:

Hell yeah, dogg!

...I have zero idea when shows are gonna start going on again :smith:

No joke I was gonna ask the same thing before I saw CPL’s request, idk if you wanna be a weirdo buying three copies of a record.

pwn fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

pwn posted:

No joke I was gonna ask the same thing before I saw CPL’s request, idk if you wanna be a weirdo buying three copies of a record.

I'd be really surprised if they even pressed more than a couple hundred copies. They're probably long gone. It's never even turned up on discogs or ebay and it was self released. I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

pwn posted:

My birthday was Monday and considering Wisconsin shut down Tuesday at 5 PM, I got it in just under the wire. My last birthday drink was with a friend at the bar they work at at 4:58 Tuesday....

Mad jealous on this alone. My birthday's tommorow and it's effectively been cancelled.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Turbinosamente posted:

Mad jealous on this alone. My birthday's tommorow and it's effectively been cancelled.

Happy birthday buddy, i’ll spin a CD or three in your name tomorrow :cheers:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

pwn posted:

Happy birthday buddy, i’ll spin a CD or three in your name tomorrow :cheers:

Haha, awesome thanks!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

:frogout:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I don't even own a CD player anymore. :smug:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

I have one of those early model Playstations with the red, yellow, and white inputs instead of the single plug. Supposedly it's a really good CD player because of the DAC it uses or some bullshit. I was never exactly blown away with it but I tried it way back when because I found it in a thrift for ten bucks. I'm sure it's probably bullshit but I don't listen to CDs very often so I never felt like bothering with getting a proper CD player.

pwn
May 27, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

How will you ever play this ridiculous thing, though

I recently unearthed a couple boxes of CDs out of storage, and then a friend decided to unload another box on me. My cup runneth over with nowhere to go (I seriously need shelving)

And I can't loving believe I forgot to post this before: My friend painted me a portrait of Kate Bush for my birthday.

:3:

Edit:

CPL593H posted:

I have one of those early model Playstations with the red, yellow, and white inputs instead of the single plug. Supposedly it's a really good CD player because of the DAC it uses or some bullshit. I was never exactly blown away with it but I tried it way back when because I found it in a thrift for ten bucks. I'm sure it's probably bullshit but I don't listen to CDs very often so I never felt like bothering with getting a proper CD player.

I use an old 5-disc Sony DVD player, with a TOSLINK. It also plays SACDs, which comes in handy when I want to play the one SACD I own.

pwn fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Mar 21, 2020

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

A human heart posted:

Frankly most of the posters in this thread don't listen to nearly enough genuinely weird music

These two albums sit side-by-side on my shelf.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Hey CDs are great too! :colbert: Besides we could be talking about the devils own format:

And also it was a birthday miracle you guys:

(receivers still being a bitch though)

pwn
May 27, 2004

The best format

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc4ZrZYxDPs

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

pwn posted:

How will you ever play this ridiculous thing, though

My copy's in a random box where it will sit for the rest of my life, which is TBD at this current juncture. I would like to pick up the Cherry Red pREServed CD reissues at some point since they're a treasure trove of legit vault material that hadn't seen the light of day until these releases. The Gi3P set even has the demos with Hardy doing all the speaking which is super cool.

Man, I'm gonna really regret missing the stage show. Though I hear they're open to the idea of touring it, which would rule:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd74q_Xz1gs

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I couldn't decide on which lame quip I had for this so I'll give you all three.

This music sounds really lovely!

This would sound way better if he wasn't playing it on a Crosley.

Someone get in touch with the Tech Moan guy because reel to reel is no longer the most expensive format!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

I'm not hoarding, I'm an audiophile looking for the best sounding toilet paper.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

I'm not hoarding, I'm an audiophile looking for the best sounding toilet paper.

Just a heads up that whole thing about how four ply sounds better because it's heavier is total bullshit. It's just a marketing gimmick. I have old single ply rolls from the 70s that sound way better than a lot of those those four ply reissues.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

It’s so pretty.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That sure is pretty. What's the other disc look like?

Who was it that said they're only subscribed to Mondo's newsletter cause they're waiting on the Freaked soundtrack? This is your day.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Who was it that said they're only subscribed to Mondo's newsletter cause they're waiting on the Freaked soundtrack? This is your day.
I ordered that the minute it hit their website! It is now in my possession and I love it very much. Not having 900 different loving Marvel posters up in my social feed on a daily basis feels so good now that I've kicked Mondo to the curb.

I also busted out my old scanner, went to a print-on-demand website and made this, my crowning achievement:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Fors Yard posted:

On a sort of related note, has anyone tried the speaker setup Eno suggests on the back of On Land?

I've been curious to try it sometime and it seems pretty simple.

I just set this up today and it sounds really cool. It makes me realize how much more efficient my rear speaker is than the mains. I wish I could play with the volume better. Still cool I’ll keep it for a while

pwn
May 27, 2004

https://twitter.com/gecafe/status/1242314311676108801?s=21

PiaPtK Records having a BOGO sale where M]ke picks out what he thinks you’ll like as the freebie. I gave him my extensive list of Golden Boots I already owned, and he somehow found one I didn’t :3:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

If anyone in the US wanted anything from Austrailia but didn't buy it because if the shipping costs their dollar is tanking right now so this would be the time to buy your poo poo.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 25, 2020

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Detective No. 27 posted:

That sure is pretty. What's the other disc look like?

They’re both pretty much identical. The lavender pops in person. Pressing sounds incredible too.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

It is finally mine!

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

"Nite Flights" is so loving sick and Bowie's version is appalling.

The record store I picked up Animal Collective's Tangerine Reef from is now doing curbside service and I'm gonna see if I can net that Live from 9:30 Club box set from them tomorrow. It'll probably be the last fun purchase I make before jailing myself for an indeterminable amount of time.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 27, 2020

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

"Nite Flights" is so loving sick and Bowie's version is appalling.

The record store I picked up Animal Collective's Tangerine Reef from is now doing curbside service and I'm gonna see if I can net that Live from 9:30 Club box set from them tomorrow. It'll probably be the last fun purchase I make before jailing myself for an indeterminable amount of time.

Jesus, tell me about it. You hear the words "David Bowie" and "Nite Flights" and think "Hell yeah!". Then you hear the song and there are no words to describe how disappointing that it is. Anyway it will always be funny to me that at some point someone was like "Nobody gives a poo poo about the rest, just put the first four on a disc and sell that.'.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Anyone else pre-order The Chats new album?

I didn't want to spend $30 or whatever from their official site for the yellow version so I got the $16 Amazon version, expecting it to be black. I guess maybe there isn't a black version? A nice surprise, at least. :)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

wa27 posted:

Anyone else pre-order The Chats new album?

I didn't want to spend $30 or whatever from their official site for the yellow version so I got the $16 Amazon version, expecting it to be black. I guess maybe there isn't a black version? A nice surprise, at least. :)

The site is super sold out anyway. I was going to get it from where ever but I've already bought a few too many records recently so I need to wait a while. Plus Perfume Genius has a new album coming too. I think that's in May though.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i spent my money on a pub feed instead

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

One of the local record stores is now doing curbside pick-up so I had to go back and pick Live at 9:30 up. Triple LP set (mine's hand numbered 1133/2000) with a sweet poster included.

I flip around, but more often than not Centipede Hz. is usually my top pick for Animal Collective because it's only concerned about my main two obsessions in music: texture and density.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

All Animal Collective owns. Probably top 3 bands for me. People who dog on their recent stuff are johnny come lately wimps IMO

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Toe Rag posted:

All Animal Collective owns. Probably top 3 bands for me. People who dog on their recent stuff are johnny come lately wimps IMO
Painting With as an album didn't click for me at all until I saw the live show (which, even though I had been listening since Sung Tongs was my first Animal Collective show). Being able to stretch those songs out with the extended jams really let the material breathe. They also ended up swinging through town a second time at the tail-end of the tour and it was a completely different set, so much more frantic, fast and (YES!) scream-y. During that trance version of Bees Avey kept screaming THE FAST VERSION until he got the beat to where he wanted.

Wanna see those dudes again.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 28, 2020

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It finally came in!

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
What is it

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

If I had to guess, it's a record

pwn
May 27, 2004

It’s one-a them thar vaporwave albums, i do believe. As such i’m sure it’s already long sold out.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Vaporwave LPs sound pretty good but my prefered format is calling my doctor's office and being on hold.

pwn
May 27, 2004

CPL593H posted:

Vaporwave LPs sound pretty good but my prefered format is calling my doctor's office and being on hold.

Lol

I pre-ordered K-Mart 1989-1992

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
So what is it like local radio stations on 9/11 remixes or something? That’s pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sorta. It samples a lot of Good Morning America, on the morning, right before it happened. The whole idea is that it marks the moment where we changed as a culture, the moment where the things that vaporwave draws from died. Pad Chennington has a pretty good video explaining it better than I could.

Here's the album if you're curious.
https://news-at-11.bandcamp.com/releases

CPL593H posted:

Ah, a man of taste.