Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

whether or not kurt is the most suitable person, he's definitely the one who would step up and do it. that's just who he is.

"I'm a good person so I'm going to develop a new religious system even though I already have a deeply held personal one" is not very convincing.

It's loving lazy, and one of the very few missteps in this run so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

On Page 5, Kurt failed to genuflect when entering the basilica, the writing in this poo poo loving SUCKS

(no one tell this guy about the Catholic Schism)

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

How Wonderful! posted:

Or Exodus, the pre-existing head of.... mutant religion.

This sounds like a BAD idea.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
God forbid we allow bad ideas on our separatist island where teenagers are encouraged to ritualistically beg Apocalypse to kill you with a sword. My favorite thing about the Krakoa status quo is all the profoundly bad ideas simmering at once.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Death by combat builds character. LITERALLY, OHOHOHOHO

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Sandwolf posted:

On Page 5, Kurt failed to genuflect when entering the basilica, the writing in this poo poo loving SUCKS

(no one tell this guy about the Catholic Schism)

I'm not requesting pedantry. I'm suggesting not defaulting to using the "religious character" to discuss religion as if that's the only option. And in this case, it's also a bad one, imo.

Also, the gently caress does the Schism have to do with this? Kurt is (was?) very clearly a post-Vatican II Roman Catholic.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is Wolfsbane still... whatever flavor of Protestant she used to be?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

It doesn't really seem so based on her recent characterization. She's been portrayed as much looser and relaxed and flirtatious. Honestly, I'm loving glad for it, she had gotten really stagnant.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

danbanana posted:

"I'm a good person so I'm going to develop a new religious system even though I already have a deeply held personal one" is not very convincing.

It's loving lazy, and one of the very few missteps in this run so far.
What Kurt would probably actually do is give lectures or write some poo poo down exploring these ideas. If anything they'd probably be rooted in Catholic thought and he would naturally consider this preferable (probably accurately) to Apocalypse's Sword Fight Rodeo.

e: And part of the contrast of this scene is probably "Kurt says 'I need to start a mutant religion'" which then jump cuts to Apocalypse doing Crucible. Big Lips is already doin' it

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

rantmo posted:

It doesn't really seem so based on her recent characterization. She's been portrayed as much looser and relaxed and flirtatious. Honestly, I'm loving glad for it, she had gotten really stagnant.

Rahne had had that going on since that DeFilippis/Weir New Mutants miniseres (where she, uh, made out with a student). I dunno, she hadn't really been all 'tis nae proper!' since Claremont. For my money's it's more interesting to integrate something and reconcile it instead of just ignoring it.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Gologle posted:

Death by combat builds character. LITERALLY, OHOHOHOHO

That was honestly the least icky thing about it. They spent the whole time talking up that the only thing that gives you worth is if you have super powers and that if you lack the ability to turn your fingernails blue under a full moon you're little more than a soulless animal undeserving of basic dignity.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

galagazombie posted:

That was honestly the least icky thing about it. They spent the whole time talking up that the only thing that gives you worth is if you have super powers and that if you lack the ability to turn your fingernails blue under a full moon you're little more than a soulless animal undeserving of basic dignity.
Isn't that the logical conclusion of pretty much every X-Men story post-House of M?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

galagazombie posted:

I'm gonna be fair to En Sabah Nur that I don't think this is what the dude was saying. It may be a practical outcome of what he is saying, but there seems to be a reliable underlying logic in most of these folks that acknowledges humans as intelligent beings with agency - but then goes on to say, "mutants are meaningfully distinct, and we are now talking about mutants."

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Nah they're super racist against humans rn. This issue of X-Men/FF has Doom, of all people, laying it on pretty well.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Doom is never wrong (except when he is)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Saying Krakoans are racist against humans is to ignore that they've spent the last however many years being oppressed by humans.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Endless Mike posted:

Saying Krakoans are racist against humans is to ignore that they've spent the last however many years being oppressed by humans.

"The real racists are the people who are mad that we tried to kill them all those times."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

I mean one does not preclude the other. There are real world examples of oppressed people who had no problem shifting into being oppressors.

The mutants are not quite there yet but there are alternate futures where they absolutely are. (And of course alternate futures where they are massively oppressed by humans so hey! Shitlords for all.)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Well of course. Humans suck. They've murdered mutants by the countryloads.

Just because the racism is justified doesn't make it less racist, though. It's been there since issue 1 of HoX. There's really no sugarcoating it.

Unless you're suggesting the socially-relevant definition wherein you can't be racist against white people for instance because they're the dominant demographic benefiting from the system of racial oppression at play...but even that might be arguable in this instance because mutants currently are the ones holding the power in any way that matters.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

galagazombie posted:

To be fair, that was Apocalypse saying it and we saw other people like Scott and Logan being pretty uncomfortable with that whole thing.

Pat Mustard
Mar 9, 2013

galagazombie posted:

Wasn't the crucible fight something depowered mutants chose to do, so they can be resurrected with their powers? They chose to fight Apocalypse as an alternative to committing suicide. It didn't seem like anyone was forced into it, all the Guthries were asking whatshername "are you sure you want to do this?" and stuff.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Pat Mustard posted:

Wasn't the crucible fight something depowered mutants chose to do, so they can be resurrected with their powers? They chose to fight Apocalypse as an alternative to committing suicide. It didn't seem like anyone was forced into it, all the Guthries were asking whatshername "are you sure you want to do this?" and stuff.

I think it's the whole having to fight him with a sword and take a lot of punishment mentally, physically, and verbally thing. There are easier and less painful ways to go.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Pat Mustard posted:

Yep. It was put in place as a control so that the depowered mutants wouldn't all suicide enmasse, you basically have to fight to show you're worthy of getting your powers back/being put in the front of the resurrection line.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Codependent Poster posted:

I think it's the whole having to fight him with a sword and take a lot of punishment mentally, physically, and verbally thing. There are easier and less painful ways to go.
What's the alternative, death panels!?

I think the idea was to make it difficult in order to avoid people bum-rushing the gates. Rationing on the basis of "are you willing to sword-fight Apocalypse?"

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Pat Mustard posted:

They chose to get their powers back and that was the only option they were allowed. I'm sure if you actually gave 99% of them a choice to just jump off a cliff or if that's too suicidey, charge an army of Brood with a bomb, they'd take that over Apocalypse's method in a heartbeat.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

galagazombie posted:

They chose to get their powers back and that was the only option they were allowed. I'm sure if you actually gave 99% of them a choice to just jump off a cliff or if that's too suicidey, charge an army of Brood with a bomb, they'd take that over Apocalypse's method in a heartbeat.

That's literally the point. They don't WANT it to be easy. They're trying to DISCOURAGE people dying frivolously.

"You want to skip to the front of the line? Fine, but you have to do something awful and painful. If you just slug down some pills and booze, you go to back of the line and wait for however long it takes us to get through millions of dead Genoshans. If you're not willing to fight for your right to die, maybe you should look into continuing to live as you are."

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Unless the state has immediate use of you, in which case they'll happily throw the rules out the window to serve their own purposes. :eng101:

Eventually poo poo's going to get to a point where they have the Five make multiple copies of themselves so they can throw the resurrection machine into overdrive, and we'll have ourselves a lovely little Clone Saga.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Cabbit posted:

Unless the state has immediate use of you, in which case they'll happily throw the rules out the window to serve their own purposes. :eng101:

Eventually poo poo's going to get to a point where they have the Five make multiple copies of themselves so they can throw the resurrection machine into overdrive, and we'll have ourselves a lovely little Clone Saga.

Every Jamie copy demands a copy

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Cabbit posted:

Nah, they don't want to do that. This is why they're looking for backups or replacements, like Synch. Plus if they start having babies, there will likely be replacements from them.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

jng2058 posted:

That's literally the point. They don't WANT it to be easy. They're trying to DISCOURAGE people dying frivolously.

"You want to skip to the front of the line? Fine, but you have to do something awful and painful. If you just slug down some pills and booze, you go to back of the line and wait for however long it takes us to get through millions of dead Genoshans. If you're not willing to fight for your right to die, maybe you should look into continuing to live as you are."

I think a lot of you are missing an additional point here, or simply choosing to ignore it:

It's an opportunity to die on your feet in a show of determination surrounded by people who care about you. It's meant to feel like a triumph. That you have been tested and have overcome. As opposed to dying feeling weak and alone when you choose to overdose in your room and wait in line until someone in your cohort further ahead in the line of 16,000,000 waiting for resurrection has their number called up and is in need of a companion.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Adder Moray posted:

I think a lot of you are missing an additional point here, or simply choosing to ignore it:

It's an opportunity to die on your feet in a show of determination surrounded by people who care about you. It's meant to feel like a triumph. That you have been tested and have overcome. As opposed to dying feeling weak and alone when you choose to overdose in your room and wait in line until someone in your cohort further ahead in the line of 16,000,000 waiting for resurrection has their number called up and is in need of a companion.

Look I've dealt with depression for a long time and I've turned it over in my head all sorts of ways, and I am 99% sure I would rather overdose in my room feeling weak and alone than get chopped apart with a sword by an eight foot tall blue monster man. If the people in the crowd really cared they'd run down and put a stop to the whole farce.

Every Big Two superhero comic Hickman has written in the past decade has been about power, and the right and wrong ways to use power, and what it means when you're powerful enough to decide what right and wrong are, and why that kind of power is attractive and interesting. I am not always on the same page as him, I don't think, but I am sure he is not unaware of the fact that "die with dignity and enter into power by being massacred in one-on-one combat with a giant guy" is an extremely on the nose magnification of the logic of fascism. Every form of fascism in the past century has insisted, in one way or another, that dying in violent struggle in the name of a sovereign power is nobler and more virtuous than dying at home of old age or of cancer or tuberculosis or whatever else.

Apocalypse's trial is manifestly grotesque and I am 90% sure Hickman intends it to be.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

How Wonderful! posted:

Look I've dealt with depression for a long time and I've turned it over in my head all sorts of ways, and I am 99% sure I would rather overdose in my room feeling weak and alone than get chopped apart with a sword by an eight foot tall blue monster man. If the people in the crowd really cared they'd run down and put a stop to the whole farce.
But Melody Guthrie, isn't, as far as we can tell, depressed. She's missing a piece of herself that she wants back. She isn't suicidal, she just wants to be whole again and she's not going to actually die on the other end of this. And she's not trying to become powerful, she's trying to reclaim her identity that was stolen from her against her will. So why would the people in the crowd stop it? To tell her she's not allowed to do it? That she either has to live out the rest of her life until the time of her natural death, to endure her violation unnecessarily, and then be brought back before she's allowed to be her whole self again? That she has to instead go home and down a bottle of pills and go through that instead, that that's the only right way? Lethal injection that isn't actually painless, it just looks that way to outside observers? Maybe you'd prefer that instead of a fight, Apoc or some other mutant just kill her outright?

Which of these is the moral option for someone who wishes to be their whole selves again?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Adder Moray posted:

But Melody Guthrie, isn't, as far as we can tell, depressed. She's missing a piece of herself that she wants back. She isn't suicidal, she just wants to be whole again and she's not going to actually die on the other end of this. And she's not trying to become powerful, she's trying to reclaim her identity that was stolen from her against her will. So why would the people in the crowd stop it? To tell her she's not allowed to do it? That she either has to live out the rest of her life until the time of her natural death, to endure her violation unnecessarily, and then be brought back before she's allowed to be her whole self again? That she has to instead go home and down a bottle of pills and go through that instead, that that's the only right way? Lethal injection that isn't actually painless, it just looks that way to outside observers? Maybe you'd prefer that instead of a fight, Apoc or some other mutant just kill her outright?

Which of these is the moral option for someone who wishes to be their whole selves again?

I think you're missing the point. Yes you can "choose" to do this, but it's a false choice when you're offered no alternatives besides "Eat poo poo and wait behind several million Genoshans or live in a society that has open contempt for you now that you can't shoot lasers out your rear end".

Endless Mike posted:

Saying humans are all the same who are all irredeemable seems pretty racist to me. Almost like saying all mutants are the same is racist.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Nah, they don't want to do that. This is why they're looking for backups or replacements, like Synch. Plus if they start having babies, there will likely be replacements from them.

They don't want to do that yet, is all I'm saying.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

galagazombie posted:

I think you're missing the point. Yes you can "choose" to do this, but it's a false choice when you're offered no alternatives besides "Eat poo poo and wait behind several million Genoshans or live in a society that has open contempt for you now that you can't shoot lasers out your rear end".
Ehh, open contempt is taking it way too far. We've seen no indication that any depowered mutants have been ostracized in that way outside of Apocalypse talking smack during the actual ritual. Instead, we see that Exodus is teaching younger mutants to have sympathy and respect for the millions that got depowered. They absolutely make a distinction between the depowered mutants and the human(s) who victimized them.

And...no, it's really not a false choice. There are no lies here, no pretense or ambiguity; you either want your powers enough to fight and die for them or you don't; the depowered mutants are given as much agency as they could possibly be given in this situation. Just because many will choose it because they see no other path doesn't mean the other path wasn't also readily available. There may very well be hundreds who choose not to go through the trouble. We don't know.

Putting it another way...is there nothing that you want that would be worth going through the Crucible for?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Wolverine doesn't like the crucible, so that should say something. One of the most violent guys is going "don't wanna see that."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wolverine doesn't like the crucible, so that should say something. One of the most violent guys is going "don't wanna see that."

He doesn't like seeing kids get hurt.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

BrianWilly posted:

Ehh, open contempt is taking it way too far. We've seen no indication that any depowered mutants have been ostracized in that way outside of Apocalypse talking smack during the actual ritual. Instead, we see that Exodus is teaching younger mutants to have sympathy and respect for the millions that got depowered. They absolutely make a distinction between the depowered mutants and the human(s) who victimized them.

And...no, it's really not a false choice. There are no lies here, no pretense or ambiguity; you either want your powers enough to fight and die for them or you don't; the depowered mutants are given as much agency as they could possibly be given in this situation. Just because many will choose it because they see no other path doesn't mean the other path wasn't also readily available. There may very well be hundreds who choose not to go through the trouble. We don't know.

Putting it another way...is there nothing that you want that would be worth going through the Crucible for?

"Those starving orphans had a choice to knife each other over the half eaten hamburger I offered to the winner. What do you mean I could have easily just bought them lunch?"

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Disregarding for a moment that the comparison here is ridiculous and any attempt to follow through on it is going to sound ridiculous as well...they can't just easily buy everyone lunch. There are literally millions of orphans ahead of you on the lunch line, except they're in even worse shape than you are (because they're dead, you see). You, in fact, already got your lunch. You want more lunch than everyone else. So fine, you get your extra portions as well ahead of the million dead orphans, but only if you go through something really difficult and painful.

It's not an elegant solution and it's not very nice. But no one's forcing you to do it, you're the one who's insisting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm not certain of just how proteus works. the presumption is that this is a backup mind in a clone body, who presumably burned out his initial clone body in short order and began living in a series of xavier clones. except, unlike the rest of the five proteus was dead so he clearly wasn't growing that first backup body with them. so, where did this version of proteus come from? there was no five before he popped up. he did come back during necrosha, and then went on to possess and eventually merge with morph in exiles. but that version is likely out of play, and i'm not sure if anyone in 616 was ever aware that it happened.

is there a backup system for cloning? or, since this is x-men, is there some hosed up time paradox?