Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Gully Foyle posted:

Essentially they compared the deaths for those communities to the same period last year. In Nembro, only 35 people died last year while 158 died this year, and only 31 of those deaths are officially coronavirus deaths. Same story in Bergamo just different numbers. This indicates there's a much larger impact than is being recorded. Likely it's some combination of the completely overloaded medical system meaning people aren't getting treatments for non-COVID illnesses as needed, and also some COVID deaths may be being missed.

I might be reading it wrong but isn't this year bar Jan 1st - Mar 24th. Bottom bar is the previous year. Doesn't say same period does it? I read it as whole year. If so the numbers become much worse comparing 3 months to a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Gove is neither human nor bat, surely he'll be immune

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Sad Panda posted:

I might be reading it wrong but isn't this year bar Jan 1st - Mar 24th. Bottom bar is the previous year. Doesn't say same period does it? I read it as whole year. If so the numbers become much worse comparing 3 months to a year.

No, the other bar must be comparing the same period (1 January to 24 March). According to Wikipedia, Nembro has a pop of 11500. No way only 35 people died in an entire year for a community of that size. Typical mortality rates for populations are on the order of ~8 per 1000 per year, so an average community of 11500 would expect something like 92 deaths per year. Of course if the demographics are shifted older or younger, that can change.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 28, 2020

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Ms Adequate posted:

That reminds me I saw a truly impressive sounding pic the other day and entirely forgot to save it so I could send it to Jose :negative:

One of the more interesting side effects of the rona is that it you are so focussed on both being dizzy and “oh gently caress please don’t let this get worse I don’t want to die” that your memory messes up and you can’t find where you put things in whole chunks of time.

I’m still awake because I’ve been trying to convince a bored old man who can and will be a Typhoid Mary, that he shouldn’t go out and he’s been trying to convince me that the repeated nasty coughing sound is just him swallowing the wrong way.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

learnincurve posted:

One of the more interesting side effects of the rona is that it you are so focussed on both being dizzy and “oh gently caress please don’t let this get worse I don’t want to die” that your memory messes up and you can’t find where you put things in whole chunks of time.

I’m still awake because I’ve been trying to convince a bored old man who can and will be a Typhoid Mary, that he shouldn’t go out and he’s been trying to convince me that the repeated nasty coughing sound is just him swallowing the wrong way.

I'm currently just sitting still waiting for a dizzy spell to pass, in fact! And aye, on the worse days, my sense of time is enormously hosed. If you're not already a hermit shutin like me I imagine it would be incredibly wild, because it's weird enough as it is, but if you're used to having a daily routine worth the name and suddenly don't as well, oof.

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/dawnhfoster/status/1243582566424289280?s=21

Guess they're going to be checking whether COVID-19 is transmissible to BLUE HADES.

Going to have to send someone from Mahogany Row to beg them not to kill us all because it's not our fault a virus exists and therefore it's not a violation of the Benthic Treaties.

Or wait poo poo maybe we're already well into CASE NIGHTMARE GREEN and it's merely a more subtle dissolution of the walls of reality than anticipated.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I think I've got the rona because gently caress me I'm knackered all the time and aching like hell.

I've no idea basically.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Flipswitch posted:

I think I've got the rona because gently caress me I'm knackered all the time and aching like hell.

I've no idea basically.

If if I feel like this all the the time before the rona... what do I do thread peeps?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

theres like no flour to be bought off any online retailer in the UK, i've bought 2 bags of grain like some kind of medieval peasant lol
no supermarket is doing delivery at all, so i guess everyone is meant to be out shopping and coughing on eachother

also all the places like amazon and ebay are just swamped with profiteers flipping flour and pasta at huge markups

food is gonna be a real issue huh, and i feel like everything is gonna be delayed for a week or two now the whole loving gov is gonna come down with covid and start panicking

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

If if I feel like this all the the time before the rona... what do I do thread peeps?
Yeah I felt like this before too, just worse now. :shrug:

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Communist Thoughts posted:

theres like no flour to be bought off any online retailer in the UK, i've bought 2 bags of grain like some kind of medieval peasant lol
no supermarket is doing delivery at all, so i guess everyone is meant to be out shopping and coughing on eachother

also all the places like amazon and ebay are just swamped with profiteers flipping flour and pasta at huge markups

food is gonna be a real issue huh, and i feel like everything is gonna be delayed for a week or two now the whole loving gov is gonna come down with covid and start panicking

I went to Aldi yesterday. All the shelves were full, usual prices, and from I noticed they were only missing eggs and toilet paper. I had to queue for a couple of minutes to get in, and they had security on the door. You just have to make sure you decontaminate as soon as you get home, and disinfect everything you've bought :shrug: I live with an at-risk person so it's a bit nerve wracking, but it seems like it's the best option right now unfortunately

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
https://twitter.com/JosieEliasPhoto/status/1243594248982839297

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Gove tried to get into No 10

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

spaffed up the wall indeed

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013
Javid's revenge.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Communist Thoughts posted:

I've been making an absolute killing with flour, and to boost my profits I've been cutting it with cocaine.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I've been making an absolute killing with flour, and to boost my profits I've been cutting it with cocaine.

Lol'd

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Check the gluten free section. There's always been rice flour so far.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Even the gluten free pasta had been picked clean when I last checked. Still bread thankfully.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

hemale in pain posted:

The post apocalypse is worse than anything imagined in creative media.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

hemale in pain posted:

That's a bit of a dickish thing to do if you don't have a gluten allergy.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Angepain posted:

I guess this is just what we have to do now, but the calm adverts from companies about measures in store just feel like i'm living in a weird dystopian future

https://twitter.com/Tesco/status/1243670478524383232

Please keep at least two metres away from your fellow shoppers. The wreaths of garlic are here to protect us and you. If a customer begins combusting please quietly alert a member of staff - we have appropriate equipment to help those succumbing to The Particles safely pass into the netherworld. Every little helps.

The outside stuff and distance for the check-outs is all working at the Tesco in Fratton, but inside there is no set route or anything like that actually inside the store so it kind of defeats the purpose

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/TruthAbtChina/status/1243473247536058368

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
So, uh, when was the last time Priti Patel was seen in public? You'd the Home Secretary would have some visibility in a crisis. I assume Dom has locked her in a cupboard so she doesn't become a PR disaster

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

at the time of a national emergency, having a minister whose default facial expression is "smug smirk" is perhaps not the best look

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

The outside stuff and distance for the check-outs is all working at the Tesco in Fratton, but inside there is no set route or anything like that actually inside the store so it kind of defeats the purpose

Asda in East Leeds had arrows on the floor to try and direct trolley traffic, and no fucker was paying the slightest bit of attention to them.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Dell_Zincht posted:

That's a bit of a dickish thing to do if you don't have a gluten allergy.

i do sorta! in that i think i have IBS and i seem to get gassy as gently caress and get stomach cramps if i eat too much gluten or onions. or maybe i'm imagining it.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

mrpwase posted:

Asda in East Leeds had arrows on the floor to try and direct trolley traffic, and no fucker was paying the slightest bit of attention to them.

in the fifteen minutes it took me to actually get into the Fratton store, at least three people tried to cut in line, and this was with about eight door staff working the length of the queue

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

hemale in pain posted:

i do sorta! in that i think i have IBS and i seem to get gassy as gently caress and get stomach cramps if i eat too much gluten or onions. or maybe i'm imagining it.

This is a thing, I also have this from time to time and have to go full gluten free for a week or two to get poo poo (lol) back on track.

I just love bread too much to give it up forever :(

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

hemale in pain posted:

I have the exact same condition as you, I just try not to eat bread. Or deal with the consequences if I do, haha

Also chinese takeaways tend to have the same effect on me, and McDonald's burgers.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
In case anyone wants a good chortle, there's this survivalist in the D&D virus thread who keeps posting massive "some tips for you rubes :smug:" screeds, and today's lesson is bonking

Highly recommend.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I tried getting on the Boots website yesterday and they were operating a queueing system to stop the site being overwhelmed. I was 240,000th in the queue.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

hemale in pain posted:

I was like this for a long time to the point that I just accepted that being constantly full of wind, having awful stomach cramps, and having wild fluctuations between diarrhoea and constipation was normal. Took a month off gluten and I felt somewhat healthy for the first time in months. Worth a shot if you feel like crap.

Hate being the millennial guy in a restaurant having to be all 'oh can this be done gluten free' because of all the food restrictions that's always the one associated with being a precious cliché, and I miss good beer like all hell, but it's totally worth it.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

In case anyone wants a good chortle, there's this survivalist in the D&D virus thread who keeps posting massive "some tips for you rubes :smug:" screeds, and today's lesson is bonking

Highly recommend.

What the gently caress is 'survival sex' and why does this guy brush past the phrase so easily as if we all know what it means :stare:

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Mar 28, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

xtothez posted:

Good to see that Brighthouse are joining Wonga on the shitheap of failed predatory companies run by sociopaths.

Oooh do you think people will just get to keep their furniture? Nice little windfall if so :v:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Giving up garlic and onions was probably the best thing I ever did for my ibs, I do miss garlic bread though...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nettle Soup posted:

Giving up garlic and onions was probably the best thing I ever did for my ibs, I do miss garlic bread though...

Is life without allium really living?

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Guavanaut posted:

There's supposedly 3.5m tests but I have no clue how they're being doled out and half of them probably don't exist.

I think I read last week somewhere that the plan was to distribute the majority of them through Boots and other pharmacies. If so, expect to see the majority on ebay or amazon for a grand each.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Nettle Soup posted:

Onions don't bother me, it's just bread and chinese food and sometimes Pizza. I've tried Pizza Hut's gluten free bases and i'm fine with them but they don't exactly taste great.

Hell, a lot of store bought gluten free stuff tastes awful and is nearly twice the price, but i'm too drat lazy to make my own so I just adjust my diet or get on with it.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

No awful, crippling cramps after every meal, no garlic or onions in a spag bol, it's a sad life.. Every now and then I give in and order some onion rings.

Hing is pretty awesome though, too replace the flavor in cooking.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Soylent Yellow posted:

I think I read last week somewhere that the plan was to distribute the majority of them through Boots and other pharmacies. If so, expect to see the majority on ebay or amazon for a grand each.

Good luck getting one from Boots, you can't even access the website right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ktb
Feb 24, 2006

Nettle Soup posted:

If it's the Fodmaps you can still have the oil soluble flavours so if you peel a load of garlic and simmer for 15-20 mins in olive oil then strain it you can use the oil and it's got a pretty strong garlic flavour. If anyone in your house still eats garlic they can use the confit garlic remaining to spread on toast. Also small amounts of the green parts of leeks and spring onions are likely to be ok which means wild garlic leaves probably are too but they're not listed anywhere for definite.

These guys have a lot more info and have tested loads of stuff for fodmaps.

Edit: obviously not recommending anyone change their diet without talking to a doctor. This is just a good resource for checking fodmap levels in foods.

Ktb fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Mar 28, 2020