Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I became a homeowner and now can finally upgrade from my Samsung DLP.

Have reviews starting filtering out yet from the beer virus stricken launch of the 2020 LG OLED models? New SoC (yay), more built-in "AI" / microphones (boo!), any other thoughts on the new CX series?

Or, pick up a C9/E9 and just call it good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

movax posted:

Or, pick up a C9/E9 and just call it good?
The way things are going, you will likely be ordered to stay home for a good while. If you have the money, go get a C/E9 today and call it good.

More specific comparisons from The Webs:

CX vs C9 posted:

CX has support for FreeSync versus C9 which does not).

CX supports 4k120 over HDMI 2.0 (via 4:2:0), while C9 will not be getting this feature.

CX has 120Hz BFI versus C9 which does not (this is a major upgrade and will improve near-black uniformity by 50%)

CX supports Cinema Motion Pro which is probably double-shutter and/or triple-shutter emulation of 24fps content.

CX includes Aloha-9 Gen 3 processor while C9 includes Alpha-9 Gen 2 (~half as fast/powerful)

CX has Ambient AI (or whatever ir’s called which will modify gamma/EOTF based on ambient light conditions while C9 does not.

And a somewhat deeper dive into the specs from AVS Forum.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm looking for a budget 55" TV for movies & TV shows. From my research (I've primarily been reading rtings), it looks like if I want to keep it <= $400, the Hisense H8F is my best bet. From what I gather, feature wise it compares more closely to the TCL 6 series and others in that price range rather than the TCL 5 series and others like it. It looks like its main deficiency is in viewing angles, which isn't a huge deal for this use. Does all this sound right? At that price is there something smaller I should consider? From what I gather 48"-50" TVs that would outperform the 55" H8F are more expensive than the H8F.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I need a new tv. Hoping to get something around 40” and need one that has a good response time for console gaming (is this still an issue with hdtvs?). Need at least 1080p. Old tv is 720. I don’t want a tv that can listen to me or watch me with a camera

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TCL 55R615 $479 shipped

movax
Aug 30, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

The way things are going, you will likely be ordered to stay home for a good while. If you have the money, go get a C/E9 today and call it good.

More specific comparisons from The Webs:

And a somewhat deeper dive into the specs from AVS Forum.

Got it — I need to get into the house and do some measurements above the fireplace to see if a 65" will fit / look obscenely large. I think I may just be stuck with a 55"-ish area of TV and the couch being too far from it (probably around 10' to 12' feet), but will have to see.

The BFI and other 120Hz type stuff is useless to me if the first thing I do is go into the TV and death-purge every single interpolation setting, right? Or has it actually gotten not lovely now?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

A MIRACLE posted:

Need at least 1080p. Old tv is 720. I don’t want a tv that can listen to me or watch me with a camera
The 42" Oleds are out in June, if you want to wait.

movax posted:

The BFI and other 120Hz type stuff is useless to me if the first thing I do is go into the TV and death-purge every single interpolation setting, right? Or has it actually gotten not lovely now?
Some people like it for animation, apparently.

The X line has a Theatre pro setting that takes all that poo poo away for you, too.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

48" LG's small OLED is 48" not 42".

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness
BFI is distinct from the "soap opera effect" horse poo poo. BFI improves motion clarity by inserting black frames inbetween every real frame, without interpolation. The end result is smoother looking motion with less blur, like you might remember from CRTs. It's not quite perfect motion clarity (since each frame is still displayed for 8ms~), but it's still smoother than a full sample and hold.

It does come with some drawbacks. You might notice flicker (sensitivity varies), and the image will be dimmer since it's only on half of the time.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Looking forward to my stimulus 65” CX

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I personally dislike the stutter during panning shots way more than interpolation.

keeper
Jun 5, 2002
I'm thinking about going for this 65" 4-series, I had a 55" version of this that I gave to my parents when their TV died and was happy with it, but > 55" fits my apartment setup just a little better.
https://www.brandsmartusa.com/tcl/234483/65-class-smart-led-4k-uhd-roku-tv.htm

It would be for my living room that guests actually will watch more than me and typically watch streaming or youtubes, is there a justification for going smaller and high quality if not regularly playing high quality streams or videos and not planning to own the latest consoles? May hook up a decent laptop or steamlink, but $500 is already hard sell for how rarely I'll use it so don't want to do more.

I've also being tempted by some slightly cheaper options like the 65" HiSense (399.99) or TCL 65" Class 4K UHD LED Roku Smart TV HDR 4 Series 65S421 ($428)

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

keeper posted:

I'm thinking about going for this 65" 4-series, I had a 55" version of this that I gave to my parents when their TV died and was happy with it, but > 55" fits my apartment setup just a little better.
https://www.brandsmartusa.com/tcl/234483/65-class-smart-led-4k-uhd-roku-tv.htm

It would be for my living room that guests actually will watch more than me and typically watch streaming or youtubes, is there a justification for going smaller and high quality if not regularly playing high quality streams or videos and not planning to own the latest consoles? May hook up a decent laptop or steamlink, but $500 is already hard sell for how rarely I'll use it so don't want to do more.

I've also being tempted by some slightly cheaper options like the 65" HiSense (399.99) or TCL 65" Class 4K UHD LED Roku Smart TV HDR 4 Series 65S421 ($428)

A little less than two months ago you could get a 65" 6-series for around $500. Still can at Costco, but it's YMMV in-store only, and requires transporting the thing. Big step up from the 4 series either way. The 55" of the 625 was on sale for $500 earlier this week at a few places, might see that more.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
There's an Open Box Return of a 65" Vizio P Series QX st my costco that's taunting me. $750+tax with 5 years Squaretrade.

My Samsung 55" from 2017 is starting to look too dim to my old eyes :corsair:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Should I ask about soundbars here or elsewhere? I bought a 55" TCL 6 series last year and it's been the best tv I've ever owned but my old rear end Sony receiver is dying. I only have two things plugged into the tv so I don't even need a receiver anymore, should I just buy the $50 TCL soundbar that's advertised as being the best match for this tv or is there a better option?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Should I ask about soundbars here or elsewhere? I bought a 55" TCL 6 series last year and it's been the best tv I've ever owned but my old rear end Sony receiver is dying. I only have two things plugged into the tv so I don't even need a receiver anymore, should I just buy the $50 TCL soundbar that's advertised as being the best match for this tv or is there a better option?
I'd guess a $50 soundbar would not give you a great experience, especially if you're coming from an actual receiver. If you only have $50 to spend there's not much better that you could do anyway.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rhyno posted:

Should I ask about soundbars here or elsewhere?
Friend, there's a first audio system thread you can hit up.

If you're space/budget limited a soundbar will be "fine". It'd say spend $250 on one of the Vizio 5.1 bars with wireless subs. $50 sounds pretty meh. Dr. E linked a 2.1 Vizio for like $130.

Consensus is get a modest reciever and some ok speakers for really good sound. I've got a 5 year old Onkyo and a mishmash of speakers, but I hooked it up during a long weekend and goddamn the difference between that and my 'bar was really obvious.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 28, 2020

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I got this Vizio: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7SLWRZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And it's great. I've had cheaper Vizio soundbars and they're barely better than the TV speakers but this setup really is good. I also have an older Onkyo and some Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers and they're about on the same level sound quality wise in real world usage.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I have to imagine that even a cheap sound bar is still going to sound better than a TV's own speakers. If all you got is $50 then get what you can.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My receiver is 20 years old and turns itself off at random. Anything will be a step up.

I have more than $50, I just figured maybe the TCL soundbar were as good as the TVs. I will check out that thread.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
All of these current Vizio devices have issues with turning on and off randomly. It’s super annoying. Had the PX for main TV and returned due to that issue and bought and returned a M quantum for use as basement TV just this week for it. Same drat thing.

A shame cause they are actually quite nice to look at aside from the blooming and only so so upscaling.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
We have the Vizio 5.1 with wireless sub and are very happy with it, Chromecast audio support is very nice.

I, however, suffer from mid-range hearing loss, so I can't really speak to being an expert on sound, all the reviews I have seen say it is pretty decent though, especially for the price.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I just shelled out for a LG CX 55 inch. It seems like most people get the 65", but I think 55 will fit my space better. Is there some break point other than raw size that is going to make me wish I had gone for the 65?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

No one ever said "I wish I got a smaller TV".

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

GreenNight posted:

My wife seems to like saying that

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

headcase posted:

My wife seems to like saying that

But can you go wrong with a big TV during a pandemic?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

GreenNight posted:

This is not true, I've been in several houses that have TVs that are clearly too big.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I knew some rich dudes who bought that 90" DLP just because they could. It was probably twice the size they needed for the viewing distance.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My wife wished we opted for the 75” OLED when we got the 65ef9500, until I showed her the $19,999 price tag which surprisingly enough changed her mind.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

I'm looking to upgrade our very old and now mostly knackered TV, looking at the LG OLEDs, and... is there much difference between the B9 and C9 models? Looking at specs, the C9 has 3GB instead of 2 for the processor, and 'maybe' better cores. Same number of cores, same speed, and tbh seeing as we mostly watch streamed stuff off Amazon I'm not sure it will make much difference?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The B6 got an oddball processor compared to the rest of the 2016 lineup and has been locked out of some app upgrades as a result. Just something to keep in mind.

jack_squat
May 7, 2007
Don't expect much.

OzyMandrill posted:

I'm looking to upgrade our very old and now mostly knackered TV, looking at the LG OLEDs, and... is there much difference between the B9 and C9 models? Looking at specs, the C9 has 3GB instead of 2 for the processor, and 'maybe' better cores. Same number of cores, same speed, and tbh seeing as we mostly watch streamed stuff off Amazon I'm not sure it will make much difference?

I just bought a C9 (literally last night), so I have the information fresh in my head. The major differences were:
-A better processor, as you noted. Also as you noted, the practical usefulness of this is unclear.
-Better peak HDR brightness for the C9 over the B9. Equivocal SDR brightness.
-Better factory calibration for the C9 over the B9. After aftermarket calibration, both the C9 and B9 performed identically...but if you don't want to gently caress around too much with that, it could be worth something.
-Physical difference in the base of the TV. Moot if you're doing a wallmount, but to me the C9 looked a little harder to tip over.

Source: RTINGS, https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/lg-c9-vs-lg-b9/802/915

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

I'm going to replace my 15 year old Sony 40" because I want to play the Final Fantasy 7 remake on a good TV with the 4k and HDR stuff before I die horribly. It will be almost exclusively used for gaming with some occasional streamed content.

One requirement is that I be able to slide it in my house and place it on a 2-3 foot high stand by myself. I'm not very strong, but I do have a dolly and a car jack :haw:. I don't think this will be a huge deal, considering I don't really want to go any larger than 55", and modern TVs are a lot lighter than what I'm dealing with right now. (My current TV is a 40" and weighs 80 pounds.)

I'd like to keep the price under $800. As far as size, something in the 50" range will work well for the relatively small room I'll be putting it in.

mekyabetsu fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 31, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The 48" CX LG OLED goes on sale in June, I think.

But you can walk into just about any Target or Best Buy and get a 55" C9 for about 1500.

The set's not heavy but you definitely need another set of hands to put the base on. With the thin panel and poo poo it feels super tricky. I helped assemble 2 B8's at work and it was pretty nerve-wracking.

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

Yeah, thinking about it some more, I really would prefer to keep the price under $1000. Honestly, coming from my old rear end 1080p LCD, it’s probably not going to take much to impress me. I basically just want a solid, 4k HDR capable gaming display.

mekyabetsu fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 31, 2020

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

55" is doable as a one person job but I wouldn't try anything bigger. TVs are much lighter now, my 2018 55" Sony weighs around the same [40 pounds] as my old 2008 40" did. They typically ship with the feet or stand not installed but they do the packaging [at least Sony did] in a way that one person can assemble it. I'd say one of the bigger risks is to the screen itself when you move it, maybe pick it up from the back so you don't scratch the screen. I've heard of people doing damage with watches, rings, belt buckles and jeans rivets. I kept the cardboard piece taped to the screen until I had it in place. It's an awkward shape but I got mine on my mount and up on the stand by myself. Like I said, though, it was at about the limit of what I could do by myself and the challenge for me was more about dealing with the shape and fragility than weight.

The 49" Sony X950H is around a grand and weighs 30 pounds, might be a good option. I'm really happy with the PS4 Pro on my X900F.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I got my 65" C6 on to it's stand by myself, but there was no way I was getting it on the entertainment center by myself, it was just to unweildly.

I fared better with the 65" X900E, likely do to the fact that its not curved and I could reach under it in the middle.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
True. When I set up my mom's 50" TCL I was able to carry it with just one hand fine and dandy. The bigger sets are heavier but sizewise have little in the way of grasping points so they're trickier.

mekyabetsu posted:

Honestly, coming from my old rear end 1080p LCD, it’s probably not going to take much to impress me. I basically just want a solid, 4k HDR capable gaming display.
You're gonna have the TV for what I assume is a long time so might as well get the panel with the nicest picture. Unless you're that concerned with burn-in or something.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 31, 2020

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, here's one to file into the 'huh' folder.

https://www.engadget.com/2020-03-31-samsung-display-stop-producing-lcd-screens-2020.html

Samsung is going to stop producing LCDs completely by the end of this year, shifting completely over to quantum dot (real quantum dot, not just LCDs backlit by quantum dot) displays.

That said, that doesn't necessarily mean that all of Samsung's lineup next year and beyond with be quantum dot displays since they often source their panels from other suppliers.

But, that's further proof of the softness of the TV market, there's really only room for one or two LCD panel manufacturers. If you want to make money, you have to go premium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Samsung is going to stop producing LCDs completely by the end of this year, shifting completely over to quantum dot (real quantum dot, not just LCDs backlit by quantum dot) displays.

The wording annoys my inner pedant because they are all LCD displays still, just a question of what's in the layers and how they are arranged.