Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

yergacheffe posted:

Looks like it requires Oculus TV which is a portable headset exclusive?

My Google-fu is failing me, is there any way to load Quest/Go stuff onto tethered headsets? Like some sort of ReVive thing except between Rift and Quest? I don't understand why there's even a walled garden inside a walled garden for something as simple as a media viewer.
Oculus isn't bothering to keep parity between Quest and Rift. For example, I believe there's a Netflix app for quest right? But there isn't one for Rift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

El Grillo posted:

Oculus isn't bothering to keep parity between Quest and Rift. For example, I believe there's a Netflix app for quest right? But there isn't one for Rift.

There's no reason to have a dedicated Netflix app for Rift. You're connected to a PC anyway, and there's free apps such as Bigscreen that will give you a virtual movie theater to watch your screen in.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Yes of course - though it would be a much smoother integration to just have a dedicated app as on their other platform. More in keeping with their initial concept for Dash, too.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Finally got Alyx installed and it's just stunning.
I've not played any VR stuff for a while now so I'm sort of out of tolerance and can't play terribly long. It takes me a while after stopping to remember how to walk normally which is cracking me up.

Thumper is 50% off right now on the Oculus app so I grabbed it try out sometime. Looks interesting.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

AzureSkys posted:

Finally got Alyx installed and it's just stunning.
I've not played any VR stuff for a while now so I'm sort of out of tolerance and can't play terribly long. It takes me a while after stopping to remember how to walk normally which is cracking me up.

Thumper is 50% off right now on the Oculus app so I grabbed it try out sometime. Looks interesting.

Someone else earlier in the thread described Alyx as "dream quality".

That's exactly what it is, I play it alone in my room at night and it feels like a dream but I'm standing up. A sleepwalk. And when I step back out I'm disoriented like someone roused me from a deep sleep, all I want is to go back.

I've really come around on this Pimax 5k too. I bought it just to have something to play Alyx with that wasn't sold out, but it's fast becoming my favorite headset. With the DAS it's overall the most comfortable one and the viewing angle really is astounding. The clarity is great too. The main issue is the software is definitely pretty janky to dial in. For this recent Alyx session I had to reboot the headset and Pimax software several time to get everything to fire up correctly, but once it was working it kept working for hours.

If any of you see an Amazon Warehouse Pimax on Amazon and you have some Vive stations/controllers, I'd recommend grabbing it to try. The warehouse ones are already used so you don't have to feel guilty if you decide to return it, and if you keep it you're saving at least around a hundred bucks.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Different topic, I have a totally abandoned office building now and I'm the only one with the key. We have a corridor that goes around the whole office like a huge donut. Theoretically, if I strapped a gaming laptop to my back and put like 20 lighthouses all around the office, would Steam VR let me make a chaperone that stupidly huge? It's such a long hallway with such a gradual turn that Alyx would be more like those redirected-walking games.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Does anyone else use a Rift with an Asus motherboard - I've always had USB issues but recently they seem to have gotten worse for no identifiable reason. I have a PCI-E USB hub and those sockets seem to work fine. But the one camera which I plug into the motherboard (/front of case) sockets is just always dodgy. Literally the only other thing I have plugged into a motherboard USB socket is the HMD itself. Anyone got any tips for how to sort this poo poo out? I only have 3 cameras, it shouldn't be impossible.
I've looked on Asus's drivers website but there doesn't seem to be a dedicated USB driver for the board that I can download to update.

e: updated the bios and it looks like it might be working...

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Mar 28, 2020

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

just beat half life alyx and hoo boy this old half life fanboy was thrilled the entire time. I enjoyed so much of the game and I am extremely happy I managed to finish it before coming across any spoilers. Playing HL2 and the episodes again this last month helped set the mood and Alyx blended in just perfectly from start to finish.

ending spoiler:
also playing those games again set me up perfectly for the ending and I almost lost it with the post credits scene. GIVE ME MOOORRREEEE! Also more of the green energy attack, that ruled

Glad to see others also did the peak under the two handed shutters to shoot zombies in the crotch. Was anyone else able to break out of the intended path of the game? I managed to climb up and out onto the rooftops of the arena outside the distillery entrance stacking barrels and boxes. I explored all around the roofs and probably could have skipped the arena fight entirely, but I didnt want to miss any more than I already might have. I also thankfully found a place I could get down without dying before triggering some of the location events backwards. Truly one of my favorite things to do in a half life game

Also the knuckles were a must have, I cant imagine how much different and probably worse it would have been without then

Tweak fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Mar 28, 2020

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Tweak posted:

ending spoiler:
also playing those games again set me up perfectly for the ending and I almost lost it with the post credits scene. GIVE ME MOOORRREEEE! Also more of the green energy attack, that ruled

Glad to see others also did the peak under the two handed shutters to shoot zombies in the crotch. Was anyone else able to break out of the intended path of the game? I managed to climb up and out onto the rooftops of the arena outside the distillery entrance stacking barrels and boxes. I explored all around the roofs and probably could have skipped the arena fight entirely, but I didnt want to miss any more than I already might have. I also thankfully found a place I could get down without dying before triggering some of the location events backwards. Truly one of my favorite things to do in a half life game

I must be the only person who wasn't super thrilled with the green lightning. It was kinda cool, but I found it impossible to aim at anytime who want fairly close. Also, I was pretty much expecting the gloves to get juiced at the end, and I was really hoping they were going to let us pick dudes up and fling them around.

I'm looking forward to the community mods that will surely let me do that and also shoot items at high velocity like the gravity gun.

I figure the following is vague and unimportant enough to not need spoiler tags.

As far as breaking out of the levels, I actually did that on accident once. There was a point in the game where you're inside a building and on kind of a cat walk. I ran out of things to do up there so I worked my way to the lowest point I could find and tried to teleport to the highest thing I could find on the ground level but it not only displayed the death symbol but Russell came on the radio and was like "That's too high you'll die!"

So I found a place on the outside of the building where there was a lower level that looked accessible by hopping over the railing, and it was! But it shouldn't have been. Nothing had any collision boxes and there was nothing to do. I tried shooting myself in the head, but that apparently doesn't work so I reloaded.

After trying every single thing I could think of I finally went back to the first spot and jumped down instead of teleporting and I was totally fine. :arghfist:

Did anyone else notice that there were multiple places in the game where models were missing collision? I found several that really seemed like they should have been caught in testing (and to be clear, these were in places you were supposed to be).

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

i was certainly worried about when my last autosave was if i couldnt find a place to safely get down since my options were death by falling off a roof or off the map itself otherwise

One weird thing that happened to me twice towards the end of the game was my off hand would just... stop working? Like it was there and could even bring up the main menu but it couldnt grab either normally or with the russell. I only managed to fix it by finding my last good autosave with a working hand.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

El Grillo posted:

Does anyone else use a Rift with an Asus motherboard - I've always had USB issues but recently they seem to have gotten worse for no identifiable reason. I have a PCI-E USB hub and those sockets seem to work fine. But the one camera which I plug into the motherboard (/front of case) sockets is just always dodgy. Literally the only other thing I have plugged into a motherboard USB socket is the HMD itself. Anyone got any tips for how to sort this poo poo out? I only have 3 cameras, it shouldn't be impossible.
I've looked on Asus's drivers website but there doesn't seem to be a dedicated USB driver for the board that I can download to update.

I have an Asus with the Quest, and strangely the Link won't work on the usb 3.1 gen 2 ports, but it works in the gen 1 ports.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tweak posted:

One weird thing that happened to me twice towards the end of the game was my off hand would just... stop working? Like it was there and could even bring up the main menu but it couldnt grab either normally or with the russell. I only managed to fix it by finding my last good autosave with a working hand.

OMG this happened to me too! on Level 10, so also close to the end. I had to reload a previous save, going to the main menu and loading the last autosave wasn't enough to solve it.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Turin Turambar posted:

I have an Asus with the Quest, and strangely the Link won't work on the usb 3.1 gen 2 ports, but it works in the gen 1 ports.
Updated my bios, seems like it's helped... might be worth a try if you're as dumb as me and had never updated it before :welp

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

El Grillo posted:

Updated my bios, seems like it's helped... might be worth a try if you're as dumb as me and had never updated it before :welp

I'm up to date in that regard.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Tweak posted:

i was certainly worried about when my last autosave was if i couldnt find a place to safely get down since my options were death by falling off a roof or off the map itself otherwise

Something similar happened to me except my hand just disappeared entirely. I could open the steam VR menu and it was tracking just fine in there, it just wasn't in alyx anymore.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

Different topic, I have a totally abandoned office building now and I'm the only one with the key. We have a corridor that goes around the whole office like a huge donut. Theoretically, if I strapped a gaming laptop to my back and put like 20 lighthouses all around the office, would Steam VR let me make a chaperone that stupidly huge? It's such a long hallway with such a gradual turn that Alyx would be more like those redirected-walking games.

Nah, it only has support for up to 4 2.0 Lighthouses, and they all have be covering the same area. And you couldn't hop between lighthouse setups or anything like that, either.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
I had HL:A since day one but have yet to beat it due to other responsibilities. I've progressed pretty far I imagine. Before patch, I hated not being able to do smooth/continuous turn, that was fixed thankfully right away.

One thing I hate about this game is that it is focused too much on creeping around dark buildings and disposing zombies, my least favorite part about the Half Life series. What I enjoyed about the previous Half Life games was fighting more intelligent soldiers, combine, vortiguant, striders, hunters, and other Synth. I enjoyed in HL1 seeing Black Mesa scientist freaking out throughout the facility and witnessing cool scripted events and even enjoyed my trip to Xen. HL2 I enjoyed traversing outdoors and fighting combine and synth with fellow resistance fighters and enjoyed meeting Dog and the couple of bases Eli Vance was holed up.

So far several hours into Half Life: Alyx I've witnessed none of these things except an occasional small batch of combine and a tiny apartment base.

Overall I feel the atmosphere in HL1 and HL2 were cooler than that HL:A.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm in chapter six and I'm fighting more combine now, but I do wish there was less zombies and more fights. The zombie fights are mostly just "ok, move back a plink away at this guy" but the combine fights are much more interesting. I'm crouched down, behind cover, I'm leaning out of cover in real life to shoot at the dudes when they have to reload. It's much more hectic.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

ijii posted:

I had HL:A since day one but have yet to beat it due to other responsibilities. I've progressed pretty far I imagine. Before patch, I hated not being able to do smooth/continuous turn, that was fixed thankfully right away.

One thing I hate about this game is that it is focused too much on creeping around dark buildings and disposing zombies, my least favorite part about the Half Life series. What I enjoyed about the previous Half Life games was fighting more intelligent soldiers, combine, vortiguant, striders, hunters, and other Synth. I enjoyed in HL1 seeing Black Mesa scientist freaking out throughout the facility and witnessing cool scripted events and even enjoyed my trip to Xen. HL2 I enjoyed traversing outdoors and fighting combine and synth with fellow resistance fighters and enjoyed meeting Dog and the couple of bases Eli Vance was holed up.

So far several hours into Half Life: Alyx I've witnessed none of these things except an occasional small batch of combine and a tiny apartment base.

Overall I feel the atmosphere in HL1 and HL2 were cooler than that HL:A.

Yeah there are much more moments with zombies and headcrabs and less with Combine soldiers and other stuff. And the combine AI is very... static. Even when you back down and wait to see if they advance, they need lots of time to move.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I hope they update Alyx with a firing range or something. I'm not really one to continually play through single player games over and over again. But I'd like to play with all the weapons in a sandbox room/area.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Nah, it only has support for up to 4 2.0 Lighthouses, and they all have be covering the same area. And you couldn't hop between lighthouse setups or anything like that, either.

No. Official support is for 4 at once, but it will not prevent you from having more in your play space and will work just fine with more in large rooms. You have to worry about channel ID overlap on the high end

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

rage-saq posted:

1: you need to be in the 1070/2070 range for VR, a 770 isn’t even remotely close to being acceptable. You’ll also need a CPU from recent time as well, a 4790k is probably the minspec cutoff.

2: glasses are fine in VR and are necessary if you need them to read anything 10 feet away as that is the focal distance of anything in VR.

So is 1070/2070 minimum specs or would that let you play on high? I'm looking over at PCPartPicker for build guides and as far as I can tell Radeon RX 5700 XT is roughly equivalent and slightly better value for money. I'm taking this as an impetus to actually put together a new PC and looking around on PCPartPicker, trying to gauge what build makes the most sense for getting good performance if Alyx is the goal.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A 1060 6GB will run Alyx but it’s kind of the lowest possible card. A 980ti would probably do OK but those are more expensive than the 1060

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

spacetoaster posted:

I hope they update Alyx with a firing range or something. I'm not really one to continually play through single player games over and over again. But I'd like to play with all the weapons in a sandbox room/area.

Chances are we'll see some pretty creative maps once Valve releases the Hammer editor. Until then you're free to mess around with console commands
https://streamable.com/z0t33

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

spacetoaster posted:

With ALL OF THEM?

/s

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

New H3VR update just added a bunch of Half-Life weapons (including a crossbow) and a Half-Life themed Take and Hold character. Smaller weapon progression (it's only guns that appear in HL2) but the enemies are all HL2 themed, including Combine hotdogs and "Breadcrab Zombies".

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Aeble posted:

So is 1070/2070 minimum specs or would that let you play on high? I'm looking over at PCPartPicker for build guides and as far as I can tell Radeon RX 5700 XT is roughly equivalent and slightly better value for money. I'm taking this as an impetus to actually put together a new PC and looking around on PCPartPicker, trying to gauge what build makes the most sense for getting good performance if Alyx is the goal.

The issue isn't that AMD dont' have similar performance. Its that AMD has poo poo drivers and tends to play second fiddle to NVIDIA in the VR space.

And yeah. Hes trying to recommend something that wont be potato. a 1070/2070 should get most people to med/high on most games. Id probably stay 20XX series personally.

rage-saq posted:

No. Official support is for 4 at once, but it will not prevent you from having more in your play space and will work just fine with more in large rooms. You have to worry about channel ID overlap on the high end

OH boy, Lemme tell you how fun this poo poo is in a con space.

I had a booth, showing like 18 light houses. Boy oh boy figuring out whos was what. Hahaha

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Aeble posted:

A 2070 Super (which is almost a 2170) will put you in a very good place for VR.
Don’t get AMD, they have been exceptionally poor with compatibility on the VR front and their driver situation is as pathetic as ever.
As someone who does support for VR software I could not possibly strongly suggest enough avoiding AMD at this point (and all previous points) in time.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

EbolaIvory posted:

OH boy, Lemme tell you how fun this poo poo is in a con space.

I had a booth, showing like 18 light houses. Boy oh boy figuring out whos was what. Hahaha

I’m glad they added the LED blink feature but would it kill them to add a 2 digit led ID on the back or something?
I guess very few installs go over 4 stations.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Aeble posted:

I'm a 5700 XT owner and HL:A runs fine at default Index resolution on high settings (not ultra) usually with about 5% reprojection. Even small amounts of reprojection are noticeable with continuous locomotion, creating a bit of a stutter, but looking around is fine. I'm perfectly happy with how it looks and performs and the minor reprojection isn't really an issue.

The 5700 XT is pretty great for the cost but it's not amazing for VR. The RTX 2070 (not super) I was using previously thoroughly outperformed it. There have also been a lot of driver issues in the past--such as Pavolv being unplayable--that have mostly been resolved, though I don't use VR much so I'm unaware of any big outstanding issues at this time.

I would have recommended against it 6 months ago but now I don't know, I think it's fine. You're still better off getting a 2070 or 2070 S if you can find either at roughly the same $400 price point. Non-VR games run like a dream and the 5700 XT is totally the way to go in that respect.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

rage-saq posted:

Ooops! I guess I didn't read the Lighthouse 2.0 specs closely enough :sweatdrop:

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Ooops! I guess I didn't read the Lighthouse 2.0 specs closely enough :sweatdrop:

Basically don't let a sensor see two lighthouses with the same channel ID at the same time, which shouldn't be too hard to do if you preconfigure them properly and you space them out enough.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
How do you use wired headphones in the rift s? Do you just plug them into the jack and that’s it! Or do you need to do anything else,

I went to setting and tried to change audio device but the only other option said windows default. I tried that but it didn’t change the audio to my headphones so not sure what I should be doing

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Plugging into the jack just works for me. Automatically switches from the Rift speakers to the headphones.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Never mind Alyx I can't believe it took me this long to buy Tilt Brush, I am a GOD

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Alyx patched in being able to choose movement and gun hands separately.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Aeble posted:

If you are considering a 5700 or XT, you can go to the SH/SC GPU thread and ask and get a bunch of responses from people who regret buying them. AMD driver badness has been overhyped for a long time, but these GPUs have legitimately terrible drivers for a way longer than acceptable period - they're 9 months old and many people still struggle to find a single working driver version. VR support seems to be even worse. Nvidia is WELL worth the premium.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Organza Quiz posted:

Never mind Alyx I can't believe it took me this long to buy Tilt Brush, I am a GOD

My daughter is an artiste extraordinaire, and I want to get her one of these apps, but I'm not sure of the 'best' one to get. There's what, medium, quill, tilt brush... I think one or two more after that. I think I'm leaning towards Quill due to seeming to be simpler to use animations on?? Anyone have thoughts?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Kaedric posted:

My daughter is an artiste extraordinaire, and I want to get her one of these apps, but I'm not sure of the 'best' one to get. There's what, medium, quill, tilt brush... I think one or two more after that. I think I'm leaning towards Quill due to seeming to be simpler to use animations on?? Anyone have thoughts?

Quill is free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

Alright, thanks for all the replies! I'll probably go for the 2070 or 2080 SUPER, as soon as I decide if the extra performance is worth the 140% price.