Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Lawson posted:

Can anybody read this? This is green tea with a pleasant smoke aroma. It was given to me by somebody who traveled to China, but doesn't speak the language. I'd like to find it, or something similar so I can buy some more.

You could ask the GBS China thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3912640&pagenumber=18&perpage=40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

couldcareless posted:

Just shot in the dark based on smokey, it wasn't lapsang souchong was it?

The old wrapper is literally all the information I have -- I've never even heard the name of the tea pronounced. But I'll put lapsang souchong on the list of things to try out, thanks!

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

Good point, thanks.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Anyone have experience with LoveSac sectionals?

I need a big hangout casual couch and being able to change the orientation is appealing

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Lawson posted:

Good point, thanks.

There's also the tea thread.

Based on the smokiness, it might also be a pu-erh, although those often tend more toward earthy/funky.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Looking for a semi-compact EDC bag that isn't too tactical. I'm mostly going to carry my wallet, 2 sets of keys, knife, small flashlight, cellphone, shades and maybe some other things. I like compartments and the only things I see typically is something like a small grocery bag. Any suggestions? I've checked out Chrome, Tom Bihn and Timbuk2 with nothing that really suits my needs.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

obi_ant posted:

Looking for a semi-compact EDC bag that isn't too tactical. I'm mostly going to carry my wallet, 2 sets of keys, knife, small flashlight, cellphone, shades and maybe some other things. I like compartments and the only things I see typically is something like a small grocery bag. Any suggestions? I've checked out Chrome, Tom Bihn and Timbuk2 with nothing that really suits my needs.

Several, though really it's all just fanny packs being worn across the body instead of across the waist.

https://www.amazon.com/Fanny-Women-Yome-Waist-Adjustable/dp/B07JZ3WBKX
https://www.aersf.com/day-sling-2-black
https://www.peakdesign.com/products/everyday-sling/?variant=29742302068780
https://www.minaal.com/products/crossbody-bag
https://herschel.com/shop/hip-packs/tour-hip-pack-medium?v=10335-02519-OS
https://moderndayfarer.com/products/dayfarer-sling
https://bellroy.com/products/sling/ripstop_recycled/forest

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

obi_ant posted:

Mission Workshop has never done me wrong.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I also really like ortlieb’s bags if you want it waterproof.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

I'm looking for a cheap, good, portable (I know, pick any 2) 1080p+ monitor, preferably usb-powered, HDMI or DVI or VGA, basically for PC fixes and hooking up to my laptop for portable work (mostly text-based/2D non-photo, so crispness is much more important than color). Best-looking bet I've found so far is: https://www.newegg.com/p/0JC-00AW-00176?Item=9SIAEVEAKW3660&Description=portable%20monitor&cm_re=portable_monitor-_-0JC-00AW-00176-_-Product - looked on banggood but nothing better. Not in a hurry, so China-sourced is OK.
Also a pair of stereo bluetooth headphones with aptx, over-ear, under $100, durable, with a boom mic, that fit a large head, neutral sound profile. (Wirecutter's recommendation for Jabra move look promising except for the boom mic). Use case is music + teleconference, be nice if I could use one for both instead of having to swap headsets. US source preferred but $ and quality are more important.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Have any of your ever encountered a monitor with software controls? I like my Asus, but goddamn whoever designed the controls should be waterboarded. It's a horrendous ordeal and it's better left alone.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

colas posted:

Have any of your ever encountered a monitor with software controls? I like my Asus, but goddamn whoever designed the controls should be waterboarded. It's a horrendous ordeal and it's better left alone.

A lot of them do have software controls over i2c

But they’re all unique and special snowflakes and it’s terrible.

Check out ddcontrol for Linux. There’s very little documentation on it, only works under some conditions, and I have no idea if it works on windows.

But it exists.

http://ddccontrol.sourceforge.net/doc/0.4/

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
So now that I can't go and over pay for some rando to cut the few strands of hair I have left I'm thinking about finally buying a clipper and forcing asking politely for my wife to do it. As far as I know, Wahl is the go-to brand, but are there others I should consider? Are there specific models I should seek out or avoid? My hair is pretty fine and straight and I usually just ask for whatever a #1 clipper guard will get me, pretty short, nothing fancy.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Inspector 34 posted:

So now that I can't go and over pay for some rando to cut the few strands of hair I have left I'm thinking about finally buying a clipper and forcing asking politely for my wife to do it. As far as I know, Wahl is the go-to brand, but are there others I should consider? Are there specific models I should seek out or avoid? My hair is pretty fine and straight and I usually just ask for whatever a #1 clipper guard will get me, pretty short, nothing fancy.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Hey I already know that the Suck-Cut certainly does suck

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

Inspector 34 posted:

I'd also consider Oster.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Inspector 34 posted:

There's also Andis. I'd consider cordless I have one with a cord and it kind of gets in the way. Not annoying enough for me to buy a new one or convert mine, still kind of a bother.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Thanks, I'll check those out! Looking to keep it under $100 and it seems like Wahl has more options there than Oster. Will see what Andis has to offer too though.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Covid-chic is going to be the coming thing. A lot of haircuts done with scissors looking in the mirror.

Looking forward to our final grocery delivery on Wednesday. From there, we're looking at 14 days without any outside deliveries at all. The idea is that we've either been asymptomatic or we haven't caught Covid-19 at all.

My wife doesn't understand why that's important to me.

Beachcomber has a new favorite as of 08:22 on Mar 29, 2020

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Why is that important to you?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

SEKCobra posted:

Why is that important to you?

Peace of mind. It will also let me know that I didn't massively gently caress up in the past month. We'll be able to know from that point on what interaction caused us to contract the virus because we'll only be getting grocery delivery once a fortnight.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

The Remington model with the built-in vacuum is nice when it works (eliminates most of the cleanup), but it hasn't been reliable for me. My first corded model stopped working after a year of light use, and the power switch on the second one I got is already flaking out.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

You can also get a silicone guide for your neck. https://www.amazon.com/EDGUP-Neckline-Shaving-Template/dp/B00HFD0RNU. I have this but got it before they added the elastic.

Duck and Cover has a new favorite as of 20:39 on Mar 29, 2020

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm looking for some over-ear BT headphones that'll work well while I'm mowing the lawn.

$100 or less would be great. They don't need to be space-aged.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Ended up ordering an Andis Envy cordless clipper. There were a couple 1 star reviews but otherwise enormously positive. I only cut my hair like once a month so I don't need anything too crazy, hopefully this thing will be reliable for a few years at least. At $75 it's not a huge loss if it doesn't work out.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Inzombiac posted:

I'm looking for some over-ear BT headphones that'll work well while I'm mowing the lawn.

$100 or less would be great. They don't need to be space-aged.

airpod-likes and not over ear but i been hearing a lot of decent things about earfun because they're good quality for $50 price point and they come with wireless charging and whatnot with about the only real big con (at price point) being they feel cheap
https://www.amazon.com/EarFun-Bluetooth-Waterproof-Earphones-Headphones/dp/B07R5MKX3K/

i actually bought a pair for exercising and they've been working well for that

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm looking for a good chargeable jumper kit for a car, preferably one I could pick up from a Target or Wal-Mart or other big box store rather than having to wait for a delivery.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Futaba Anzu posted:

airpod-likes and not over ear but i been hearing a lot of decent things about earfun because they're good quality for $50 price point and they come with wireless charging and whatnot with about the only real big con (at price point) being they feel cheap
https://www.amazon.com/EarFun-Bluetooth-Waterproof-Earphones-Headphones/dp/B07R5MKX3K/

They went down to $34 so that's well within my budget. These will probably be good for work as well. Thanks.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Inzombiac posted:

They went down to $34 so that's well within my budget. These will probably be good for work as well. Thanks.

nice, but also what the gently caress!

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm looking for a "nice" set of track pants (if those exist). Something that won't fall apart, that I can work out in and sit in a computer chair all day now that I've been working from home.

I have some puma Costco ones which are not bad but I'm wondering what else is out there.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Futaba Anzu posted:

Trip report:

These things rule.
Easy to pair, good battery life and the charging case is pretty small, considering the price.

I also have mutant ears that rejects buds but these stayed in for most of a workout.
drat.

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug
Any recommendations for a TV stand (for a 32" TV) which can be screwed into the surface it's sitting on? Shops here seem to have a whole bunch of freestanding ones with tempered glass bases and no holes for screws.

Mounting pattern on the back of the TV looks like VESA 200x100.

syense
Oct 13, 2018

people who play large jenga at bars have nothing of interest in their lives.

Earl of Lavender posted:

Any recommendations for a TV stand (for a 32" TV) which can be screwed into the surface it's sitting on? Shops here seem to have a whole bunch of freestanding ones with tempered glass bases and no holes for screws.

i think if you add the word "grommet" to your search youll come up with more more options but a lot require a through hole in the surface you are mounting through.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Earl of Lavender posted:

At 32” take a look at computer monitor arms, depending on how heavy the TV is they could work.

AmazonBasics Premium Single Monitor Stand - Lift Engine Arm Mount, Aluminum - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MIBN16O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_URKKEb7Q91Z14

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Inzombiac posted:

I also have mutant ears that rejects buds but these stayed in for most of a workout.
drat.

It's funny because I have mutant ears that reject those spherical earpieces. I can wear Apple style ones just fine so I decided to give their basic AirPods a go and they're really good. I especially like them because I'm hearing impaired and with both in I suddenly don't hate talking on a smartphone so much.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

I'm looking for a good streaming box or stick that's fast and isn't limited, by that I mean it'll do pretty much every service.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I feel like Roku and Google are the two main ones that do everything really. I don't feel limited with my Roku at least

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

colas posted:

I'm looking for a good streaming box or stick that's fast and isn't limited, by that I mean it'll do pretty much every service.

Here some tables from wikipedia which compare the content available on the different streaming boxes. Roku and Google are very good, but others are not so bad either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_digital_media_players#Content_agreements

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I'm looking for a GPS tracker to put in some boxes for transport, in the event they get lost / misplaced / stolen / whatever. It needs to survive for 2-3 days. What am I looking for? Would a Tile Tracker or similar work okay, or would I need something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Those tile trackers don’t work from space, is my understanding. Like, you (or anyone else using the app) have to be within Bluetooth range for it to get binged and report back to the server. So if someone steals your poo poo and goes outside an urban area, your probably hosed. My understanding is that is the case with most “passive” (or low-powered) rfid setups and you’d have to put something in there that’s has a strong enough signal and enough battery to power that signal if you are looking for something with GPS. This info is all like 10 years old and comes from an amateur understanding tho, so I’m sure someone else can give a better answer (and tell me I’m a loving moron for what I’ve said)