Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

hemale in pain posted:

i do sorta! in that i think i have IBS and i seem to get gassy as gently caress and get stomach cramps if i eat too much gluten or onions. or maybe i'm imagining it.

As an IBS guy that sounds like IBS. Gluten doesn't affect me much but onions sure as hell do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
My local asda (Swinton) this morning was reasonably quiet at around 8.30. Fully stocked save for flour (lol) and long life milk. Had plenty of regular milk, lots of pasta though not any of the good stuff just home brand. Was low on beer too. There was loads of discounted produce which I went to town on as I've freezer space.

According to the checking lady they had brought in 10 new staff to cover sick leave in the coming weeks.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

fridge corn posted:

As an IBS guy that sounds like IBS. Gluten doesn't affect me much but onions sure as hell do

Same, I can eat bread happily, but onions or coffee are a Bad Idea for me with IBS.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Good to know that it's not just garlic that can keep IDS at bay.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I have diagnosed coeliacs disease. The worst part about it is how much of a ponce I feel asking restaurants if they have a gluten free option.

MR.B
Mar 15, 2007

I am the Owl

Kin posted:

Trip report from my local Tesco Superstore.

We went last night at 6pm and it was fairly quiet, but shelves were pretty bare.

We managed to get something equivalent to most of the stuff we usually buy, but in a lot of cases they were the last things on the shelf.

There were no queues for going in and out, but they did have a policy of closing off one aisle completely while they restocked it. They were only doing that on one aisle hen we were there though so i dunno if it was that effective. We were there for a half hour and they were still just stocking that isle. Could have been short staffed but could also just be that Tesco isn't that great. I dunno.

The only things i wasn't able to get was toilet paper and cereal. The store seems to be perpetually out of stock, but I think there's a link there.

Filling an isle can take quite a while im afraid. Although it varies from isle to isle. For example, Cereal is real easy, but household can take bloody ages.

Customers are being a bit more reasonable now and not huffing and puffing at every gap on the shelves. People are also queuing sensibly and not moaning now.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/welshbolshevik/status/1243677697257201670?s=20

Good of Jess Flaps to good providing content at this trying time.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

MR.B posted:

Filling an isle can take quite a while im afraid. Although it varies from isle to isle. For example, Cereal is real easy, but household can take bloody ages.

Whilst I applaud your efforts you're clearly being too ambitious, try doing just an aisle instead?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Azza Bamboo posted:

I have diagnosed coeliacs disease. The worst part about it is how much of a ponce I feel asking restaurants if they have a gluten free option.
Some restaurants will ask "diet or medical" if ask for gluten free now, because their trendy gluten free stuff isn't gluten free enough for that.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I got bog roll and tinned tomatoes yesterday. I reckon I have enough to ride out 2 weeks if I get sick.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

MR.B posted:

Customers are being a bit more reasonable now and not huffing and puffing at every gap on the shelves. People are also queuing sensibly and not moaning now.

Yeah, that's the thing i don't know how long it takes to do that sort of thing and it was the meat isle (packaged meat, pies and all that), so there were probably a few hundred different items to stock up.

I thought the idea was good at first (locking people out of it) but it just felt like they were focused too much on the one aisle or didn't have the staff available to follow through on that plan as the rest of the store started to dry up.

I'm playing 2 point hospital right now so i'm fascinated by the different operational optimisations that are getting put into place to manage supply and demand.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Azza Bamboo posted:

One of my relatives has coeliacs so if we're going places to eat or whatever, I always say 'she MUST have gluten free, it's coeliacs disease, not a 'lifestyle' thing'.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

One of my relatives has coeliacs so if we're going places to eat or whatever, I always say 'she MUST have gluten free, it's coeliacs disease, not a 'lifestyle' thing'.

In a strange anecdote, I recently went into a Frankie and Bennys with a friend who has a servere nut allergy.

When he mentioned it, they came back and made him sign a waiver before ordering.

I've never seen that before, it was surreal.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Why doesn't she just say that herself?

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

Kin posted:

In a strange anecdote, I recently went into a Frankie and Bennys with a friend who has a servere nut allergy.

When he mentioned it, they came back and made him sign a waiver before ordering.

I think Frankie and Benny's just do that with anyone who eats there.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Kin posted:

Have never had that, even at Frankie and Bennys. You get some proper oddball reactions though.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I stole this picture from that linked twitter thread and it’s slightly too nsfw for my account

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Oh hey Wuhan is open again

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Dell_Zincht posted:

Oh hey Wuhan is open again

It was all kicking off earlier on some bridge.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Why doesn't she just say that herself?

She lives 300 miles away so it's when I'm booking places for when she's visiting. I make them promise they really actually can do genuine gluten free before I book. I suspect some places might not be as fussy as others on the assumption it's just 'lifestyle'.

Overally we have found Pizza Express best at catering for a family get together - we have lactose intolerance, genuine must have gluten free, quorn allergy, vegans, vegetarians and determined meat-eaters. I've tried their gluten free pizzas sometimes (I get bloating from regular pizza which doesn't actually stop me eating them) and they're not too bad at all.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Mar 28, 2020

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Kin posted:

that’s bizarre. did you stay or go elsewhere?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I am fully done with this lock down and plague. Woke up yesterday, one ear just completely blocked but don't really want to go to the chemist for something that's not causing me no discomfort. And then this morning, happily playing a game and my 360 control I use on my PC's back button died. And it'd apparently take six weeks to get the relevant screwdriver posted from Amazon. This blows.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
What does the relevant screwdriver look like?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Dell_Zincht posted:

I have the exact same condition as you, I just try not to eat bread. Or deal with the consequences if I do, haha

Also chinese takeaways tend to have the same effect on me, and McDonald's burgers.

History Comes Inside! posted:

This is a thing, I also have this from time to time and have to go full gluten free for a week or two to get poo poo (lol) back on track.

I just love bread too much to give it up forever :(

ThomasPaine posted:

I was like this for a long time to the point that I just accepted that being constantly full of wind, having awful stomach cramps, and having wild fluctuations between diarrhoea and constipation was normal. Took a month off gluten and I felt somewhat healthy for the first time in months. Worth a shot if you feel like crap.

Hate being the millennial guy in a restaurant having to be all 'oh can this be done gluten free' because of all the food restrictions that's always the one associated with being a precious cliché, and I miss good beer like all hell, but it's totally worth it.

thank you for helping me feel less crazy.

i seem to be okay with like half an onion, a single beer or half a pizza but anything else and i'm gonna have an unpleasant night of not being able to sleep because my guts hurt.

what really loving sucks is that it makes me desperately need to pee more too. which i have been to the doctor about but they could never find out why but if i eat less bread it goes away :shrug:

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 28, 2020

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

forkboy84 posted:

I am fully done with this lock down and plague. Woke up yesterday, one ear just completely blocked but don't really want to go to the chemist for something that's not causing me no discomfort. And then this morning, happily playing a game and my 360 control I use on my PC's back button died. And it'd apparently take six weeks to get the relevant screwdriver posted from Amazon. This blows.

Little bit of olive oil should do the trick. On both counts.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

hemale in pain posted:

i seem to be okay with like half an onion

Hymmm half an onion.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

was this posted? GTech told NOT to produce ventilators.

https://twitter.com/macca_khan/status/1243845717376077825?s=20

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
gently caress it nows the perfect time to try and give myself a green ombre at home. Mermaid or swamp thing there is no in between

Also I'm worried for the future of the little mail order place that sells nice women's shoes in sizes 9-13 but I just don't have the money right now to buy summer wedges as if I'm ever gonna be able to wear them outside anyway. These are by no means the most important threads in this crisis but they are what I'm bothering myself with today.

Ktb
Feb 24, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

If you've got a small flat head screwdriver that's the right size to fit you can use that if you're careful.

Here is a video that shows it.

Ktb fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Mar 28, 2020

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Kin posted:

If I had to sign a waiver before eating at a restaurant I would be out of that restaurant so fast the chair would be spinning

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Isomermaid posted:

gently caress it nows the perfect time to try and give myself a green ombre at home. Mermaid or swamp thing there is no in between

Also I'm worried for the future of the little mail order place that sells nice women's shoes in sizes 9-13 but I just don't have the money right now to buy summer wedges as if I'm ever gonna be able to wear them outside anyway. These are by no means the most important threads in this crisis but they are what I'm bothering myself with today.

Do you have a link? I take size 10 and getting a decent looking shoe at a reasonable price is almost impossible. I live in trainers and boots 99.99999% of the time and have every pair of shoes I've bought since I was 18 as they are so hard to find.
At school I used to have to wear mens' shoes so had the P taken out of me something chronic.
And then friends would pick up a pair of size 8 mens' shoes which might not look too bad, and say look these aren't too bad, and I say 'don't look at the size 8 look at the size 10'. Mens' shoes on the whole are cut so there's a ridge all round the edge making them look like ginormous boats but women's shoes sort of 'fold under' round the edge.

(And ps a 5ft tall woman in size 4 DMs might look cute. A 5ft 10 woman in size 10 DMs doesn't.)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

forkboy84 posted:

I have a bottle of ear wax dissolver i can post you. I'll probably never use it again because i prefer to scoop it out with a tiny spoon these days

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I have a bottle of ear wax dissolver i can post you. I'll probably never use it again because i prefer to scoop it out with a tiny spoon these days

I've used this stuff and it gave me a horrible ear infection.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

They made the design of their prototype public before getting government approval. I suspect they were trying to bump the government into shelling out for a poorly-tested design.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Article in the independent talking about record number of evictions. What a poo poo species.

https://www-independent-co-uk.cdn.a...n-a9427361.html

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Article in the independent talking about record number of evictions. What a poo poo species.

"And it warns: “Estate agents, property management agents and landlords are very keen to evict tenants as they need the rent paid in full during these difficult times.”"

Ah yes, evicting people, that well known way of getting the rent paid in full

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

NotJustANumber99 posted:

“Estate agents, property management agents and landlords are very keen to evict tenants as they need the rent paid in full during these difficult times.”

So... uh... who do they imagine is going to be quickly moving into these properties to pay the rent?

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Do you have a link? I take size 10 and getting a decent looking shoe at a reasonable price is almost impossible. I live in trainers and boots 99.99999% of the time and have every pair of shoes I've bought since I was 18 as they are so hard to find.
At school I used to have to wear mens' shoes so had the P taken out of me something chronic.
And then friends would pick up a pair of size 8 mens' shoes which might not look too bad, and say look these aren't too bad, and I say 'don't look at the size 8 look at the size 10'. Mens' shoes on the whole are cut so there's a ridge all round the edge making them look like ginormous boats but women's shoes sort of 'fold under' round the edge.

(And ps a 5ft tall woman in size 4 DMs might look cute. A 5ft 10 woman in size 10 DMs doesn't.)

Reasonable price is... eesh well it's the best I've found for now, I kinda have to take "exists" first. But sure cinderellashoes.com YMMV on style, there are some real clunkers but also some really nice ones, otherwise yeah it was DMs for me too

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Dyson got behind Brexit so obviously deserves the pandemic ventilator profits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
cracking work as usual from the guardian/observer team

https://twitter.com/soniasodha/status/1243859877698682880