Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

This was my favourite bit:

quote:

He said other queries included... ...a man who asked: "My wife doesn't think her job is essential but I do and she's working from home. Is there anything I can do?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Wait what? Why would it matter if her job is essential or not if she's working from home o_O

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
It's your responsibility to have a shed to wank in, sir.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Wait what? Why would it matter if her job is essential or not if she's working from home o_O

he doesn't want her in the house so he called the police because he's a loving idiot

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

thespaceinvader posted:

This is one of the things my conspiracy theorist/catastrophising brain is SUUUPER concerned about. People in this country have been LIGHTNING quick to start informing on their neighbours, making draconian interpretations of the rules to beat people with, etc etc etc.

I can see exactly the shape of how an actual non-emergency police state could take hold overnight.

This happened in Egypt when Morsi (Muslim Brotherhood) became president. Reports started coming in from all over Egypt about members of the public enforcing laws that hadn't been made, particularly women against women - for example covered women attacking uncovered women and telling them they must cover, cases of covered teachers cutting off the hair of uncovered girls. It wasn't a law, hadn't been hinted as a law, but here we were, members of the public enforcing the not-law. (NB it wasn't all one way, after the 'not-a-coup' when CC got in, similar stories of girls wearing hijab having them ripped off and so on.)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

"My marriage only works because my wife is at work all day, help polis"

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Sounds like the public are trying to enforce the fake lockdown. Silly mites.
We appear to be back to speed running herd immunity don't they know?
15% mortality speed run. No vents. No masks. 3 months. (I don't know how speed run titles are formatted)

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
There are similar stories about people ratting out their neighbors to the police in France. It's not very surprising to have a number of people (I'm being vague here because I honestly have no idea how prevalent it is) be ready-made collaborators for a potential fascist regime.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
In all fairness, the government line has been "YOU MUST NOT LEAVE YOUR HOMES! (lol, not really)".

I can understand people picking up the loud bit but not the quiet bit.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The lockdown works well enough for it's purpose - which is is reducing human/human contact. While better guidance on what work should be closing is needed (since that's the main way people meet people other than ones they live with) there's vastly less contact that there was - modelling shows reducing social contact by 90% and by 50% lead to roughly same level of cases overall, just over a shorter time frame for the 50% case. It doesn't have to perfect, it just needs to be good enough.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Tsietisin posted:

Is he one of the Tesco own security or the agency they have instead?

Agency I'm pretty sure, why?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Err there's this BBC article: BBC News - Coronavirus: UK wary of international market for ventilators

As expected it's largely uncritical of the government, but there's this little sentence:

BBC posted:

The government has also said a mix-up meant it missed the deadline to join an EU scheme to obtain extra ventilators.

So, uhh, are we just memory-holing certain statement by the downing street spokesman, something along the lines "we're leaving" and what suspiciously sounded like "the EU" and "so we won't be joining this scheme"?

A Mixup posted:

The UK government has been accused of ‘putting Brexit over breathing’ after it confirmed it had opted out of an EU joint procurement scheme for urgently needed medical equipment to combat the coronavirus pandemic.

A spokesman for Boris Johnson’s government confirmed that it was staying out of the scheme because “we are no longer members of the EU.”

“We are conducting our own work on ventilators and we’ve had a very strong response from business and we’ve also procured ventilators from the private sector in the UK and from international manufacturers,” the spokesman added.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Is there some helpline or something to ask if the thing you want to do is a stupid idea or not?

Been meaning to ask for ages but has become particularly relevant these days.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Is there some helpline or something to ask if the thing you want to do is a stupid idea or not?

Been meaning to ask for ages but has become particularly relevant these days.

Go on dragons' den

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

"Landpeople"

Lol

Landlords aren't people

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I speak for the landpeople, we seek peace with the seapeople and the airpeople, let us unite to overthrow the tyranny of capitalism.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I thought it was going to reference as someone living on a boat.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

OwlFancier posted:

I speak for the landpeople, we seek peace with the seapeople and the airpeople, let us unite to overthrow the tyranny of capitalism.

Long ago the four nations lived in harmony. But then the Firepeople attacked.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Using an experimental artificial intelligence device which I have dubbed "the Wayforward Machine", I have managed to generate fragments of a television screenplay which will be broadcast in the year 2053 by Ukrainian cable television. From what I can tell, the series is called імунітет стада (Herd Immunity). It follows a handful of individuals during the outbreak of Coronavirus in the UK, weaving a story about government incompetence, human selfishness and many small acts of heroism. This is the longest coherent fragment:

Episode 1- Cause. Final scene. Location: Snowdon, summit. Time: Day, Saturday March 21st 2020 Weather: Sunny
Happy crowds of children and adults on the mountain top, enjoying the good weather. The scene is in slight slow motion with a warm yellow filter, but the sound track is muted and echoing.
An old couple pass a thermos cup of coffee back and forth. Children play tig. A group of men hug for a photo at the summit, arms over each others' shoulders. Drawn out shot of many hands touching the summit cairn. A runner passes through the crowds, breathing heavily, making plumes of vapour in the air which catch the sunlight. All sound fades apart from the sound of his breathing. Fade to black.

Episode 2- Effect. First scene. Location: NHS Nightingale. Time: Night, Saturday April 4th 2020 Weather: Pouring rain
A stretcher pushed by paramedics hurtles across a deserted car park, splashing through deep puddles and swerving around piles of abandoned building materials. It crashes through double doors, then swerves around a man in high vis on a ladder who is pushing cables behind a ceiling tile. The camera follows the stretcher along a corridor as it swerves past other medics, workers and more heaps of building materials, before crashing through another set of doors. The camera stops following the stretcher and slowly rises to the roof of a gigantic room, revealing row upon row of hospital beds.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Communist Thoughts posted:

Sounds like the public are trying to enforce the fake lockdown. Silly mites.
We appear to be back to speed running herd immunity don't they know?
15% mortality speed run. No vents. No masks. 3 months. (I don't know how speed run titles are formatted)

Gotta find someone to push the blame onto though, and when everyone gets to roleplay informing on their unpatriotic neighbours during the blitz... :kiss:

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
Alright, Sebastian.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I have never been more loving angry at people then folks who go to the bat for lovely landlords because "BUt the Governemaaaant".

These utter shits who seem to believe themselves so much smarter by deep throating a loving boot.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/SexWorkHive/status/1243615207894679560

Okay I know this is a very serious issue, but I had to have a hearty fnarr at "hardship fund".

thread's a goldmine:

https://twitter.com/sliderulesyou/status/1243546428246556675

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

yaffle posted:

Agency I'm pretty sure, why?

I used to work in head office for the agency company. God they are a complete bunch of Arseholes.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-52033324

quote:

Officers highlighted someone saying they were out to buy a bag of crisps - something that's obviously not an essential shopping trip.
:catstare:

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

This happened in Egypt when Morsi (Muslim Brotherhood) became president. Reports started coming in from all over Egypt about members of the public enforcing laws that hadn't been made, particularly women against women - for example covered women attacking uncovered women and telling them they must cover, cases of covered teachers cutting off the hair of uncovered girls. It wasn't a law, hadn't been hinted as a law, but here we were, members of the public enforcing the not-law. (NB it wasn't all one way, after the 'not-a-coup' when CC got in, similar stories of girls wearing hijab having them ripped off and so on.)
Reminds me of when the government were going to have a 'great repeal' of bad legislation with an online consultation, and it was full of people demanding more stupid prohibitions.

Interesting on the women bit, I wonder if there's been any kind of study like in The Authoritarian Personality but accounting for gender.

What's the gender neutral version of lord/lady, is it just booj?

Endjinneer posted:

Using an experimental artificial intelligence device which I have dubbed "the Wayforward Machine", I have managed to generate fragments of a television screenplay which will be broadcast in the year 2053 by Ukrainian cable television. From what I can tell, the series is called імунітет стада (Herd Immunity). It follows a handful of individuals during the outbreak of Coronavirus in the UK, weaving a story about government incompetence, human selfishness and many small acts of heroism. This is the longest coherent fragment:

Episode 1- Cause. Final scene. Location: Snowdon, summit. Time: Day, Saturday March 21st 2020 Weather: Sunny
Happy crowds of children and adults on the mountain top, enjoying the good weather. The scene is in slight slow motion with a warm yellow filter, but the sound track is muted and echoing.
An old couple pass a thermos cup of coffee back and forth. Children play tig. A group of men hug for a photo at the summit, arms over each others' shoulders. Drawn out shot of many hands touching the summit cairn. A runner passes through the crowds, breathing heavily, making plumes of vapour in the air which catch the sunlight. All sound fades apart from the sound of his breathing. Fade to black.

Episode 2- Effect. First scene. Location: NHS Nightingale. Time: Night, Saturday April 4th 2020 Weather: Pouring rain
A stretcher pushed by paramedics hurtles across a deserted car park, splashing through deep puddles and swerving around piles of abandoned building materials. It crashes through double doors, then swerves around a man in high vis on a ladder who is pushing cables behind a ceiling tile. The camera follows the stretcher along a corridor as it swerves past other medics, workers and more heaps of building materials, before crashing through another set of doors. The camera stops following the stretcher and slowly rises to the roof of a gigantic room, revealing row upon row of hospital beds.
Would watch.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
So hey I drive a taxi cab on odd nights for a bit of pocket money every now and again, and the local council was all "Hey fella, we need some off-hours public transport, you've got hella PVG and patient transport qualifications and word is you've already had the ol' Macaroni, fancy coming out and being a taxi?" Was informed it'd be key workers on account, plus a few shopping drop-offs and a bit of shifting NHS things around - blood samples, minor equipment, that kind of thing. So I thought fuckit, gets me out the house.

Did 22 runs last night.

2 nurses, 1 postal trunker driver.

19 of them a dude in hoodie, jogging bottoms, white athletic socks and blinding white Adidas trainers. To a man they'd get in, give me some twaddle about "aye ah'm uhhh muh maw's carer uh'm goin' to go uhh gie her a hand" - while the bottles and cans in their bag clanked and rattled - and away we'd go. Through silent, deserted streets, past countless shuttered businesses and fenced-off gathering spots. Deer are already starting to shift back into the city centre, the urban foxes are wandering around with impugnity, the rats are straight up chilling on corners, the usual horde of seagulls scavenging for kebabs are absent. Radio 4's on, talking about rising death counts, border restrictions, tougher curfews. The taxi reeks of antibac, and I'm wearing a mask. And every single one would go a bit quiet, look around, and go:

"Uhhh ye reckon this coronavirus thing is fur real?"

And then when I go "Yep, it's for real, it's coming, and you're gonna see some weirder poo poo yet, fella" every single one of them would then tell me they reckon it's man made, that you can sip hot water every 15 minutes to wash the virus into your stomach acid and man ah ken ah shouldnae be oot but it's just a coupla bevvies and a few burners wae the boys, eh?

And then one guy tried to stick his hand in my mouth as a "wacky" joke. I am sorry to report his run terminated before he reached his destination, and he may have received some mild injuries.

Don't think I'll go out tonight. Stay safe, wash your hands, don't get too doomy.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Interesting on the women bit, I wonder if there's been any kind of study like in The Authoritarian Personality but accounting for gender.

Unfortunately, women are some of the biggest enforcers of regressive culture on other women, eg with FGM. It's often girls' mothers who enforce it.

A friend (muslim, fully covering but not Egyptian) was talking to a female medical professor from one of the universities - I think she said Alexandria - and the prof was telling her how essential it is that a girl be 'cut'. (Friend's daughter was about 6 years old at the time). Friend was horrified. (Btw FGM is not a requirement of Islam, it's much more of an African thing and coptic christians, ethiopian jews and african animists all do it it too.)

Same if you read accounts of honour killings in the UK, very often the mothers or mothers-in-law are heavily involved in the planning if not the actual deed.

I'd be interested to see any research on authoritarianism and gender as well if there is any!

Oh hah a minute of googling and I found this paper: https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0146167212449871?journalCode=pspc

quote:

Gender Inequality and Gender Differences in Authoritarianism
Mark J. Brandt, P. J. HenryFirst Published June 25, 2012 Research Article Find in PubMed
https://doi.org/10.1177/0146167212449871
Article information
Article has an altmetric score of 134 No Access
Abstract
Authoritarianism may be endorsed in part as a means of managing and buffering psychological threats (e.g., Duckitt & Fisher, 2003; Henry, 2011). Building on this research, the authors postulated that authoritarianism should be especially prevalent among women in societies with high levels of gender inequality because they especially face more psychological threats associated with stigma compared with men. After establishing that authoritarianism is, in part, a response to rejection, a psychological threat associated with stigma (Study 1), the authors used multilevel modeling to analyze data from 54 societies to find that women endorsed authoritarian values more than men, especially in individualistic societies with high levels of gender inequality (Study 2). Results show that the threats of stigma for women are not uniform across different cultures and that the degree of stigma is related to the degree of endorsement of psychologically protective attitudes such as authoritarianism.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Welp, just left the estate to brave the shops and there was a body bag being loaded into a black van by the cops a few doors down.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

What's the gender neutral version of lord/lady, is it just booj?

Also is the lord in landlord describing a title or an action? i.e is it the action of them lording over you, and if so, can we use boojing for that too?

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/SexWorkHive/status/1243615207894679560

Okay I know this is a very serious issue, but I had to have a hearty fnarr at "hardship fund".

They could sell bonds.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'd be interested to see any research on authoritarianism and gender as well if there is any!

Oh hah a minute of googling and I found this paper: https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0146167212449871?journalCode=pspc
Thanks, most of what I found was more about how authoritarians view gender and sexuality (in rigid, concrete, and often nonsensical terms, unsurprisingly) than about how gender affects authoritarian tendencies.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Can confirm. I was in Egypt around that time and there was a lot of tension and suspicion in the air. It probably didn't help that I was taking photographs of power infrastructure between bouts of getting pissed on a boat with a gently caress off huge gun on the back of it. Which in all likelihood probably didn't work.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Also is the lord in landlord describing a title or an action? i.e is it the action of them lording over you, and if so, can we use boojing for that too?
Why not combine lord and lady.

Larding over someone. Landlard. House of Lards. Lard Protector of England, Scotland, and Ireland.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Parents decided to 'nip to the shops for a few things' today while on their daily mandated walk despite planning a 'big shop' (that they still plan on doing) this Monday. We already have a house full of food. Very cool. If I die know I died in service of them not going short on milk for 2 days. They seem to vaguely get that this is serious but they really don't get it, and probably won't till we start seeing mass graves. Ultimately they're more a threat to themselves than they are to me but how difficult is it to live off what we have for a few weeks, christ.

Love too be part of naively entitled millennial snowflake generation.

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

FGM is not a requirement of Islam
This is an elision. It's absolutely couched as obligatory in classic texts of Shafi'i school jurisprudence, such as Umdat as-Salik, so there are localities such as Indonesia where 'moderation' is counted as FGM IV. Other Sunni schools count it only as recommended. And, of course, there's a lot of good work out of al-Azhar against it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Endjinneer posted:

Nightingale's not going to be ready by the 4th of April. They can't even get the oxygen plant in until the week after that.

Actually I think it's probably more accurate to say Nightingale won't be ready *as a hospital* next week. This does not mean that people won't be being sent there, but...

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Cefte posted:

This is an elision. It's absolutely couched as obligatory in classic texts of Shafi'i school jurisprudence, such as Umdat as-Salik, so there are localities such as Indonesia where 'moderation' is counted as FGM IV. Other Sunni schools count it only as recommended. And, of course, there's a lot of good work out of al-Azhar against it.

Interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Disgusting Coward posted:

And then one guy tried to stick his hand in my mouth as a "wacky" joke. I am sorry to report his run terminated before he reached his destination, and he may have received some mild injuries.

Don't think I'll go out tonight. Stay safe, wash your hands, don't get too doomy.

I was :prepop: reading your post and then at this point I was full :staredog:

How does anybody go through life thinking they can do something like that without catching a beating?