Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

VR gives me motion sickness to the point that I feel like poo poo for 12 hours afterward so I have no plans to ever play another VR game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.
Why do goons keep saying that you need to spend $1000 on an index to play Alyx? It can be played on any headset. Even the ones that go on sale sometimes for $100. Is it some type of console war mindset that shouldn't still exist in people in their thirties and forties. All I'm saying is, release Bloodbourne on the pc Sony. I'm not buying your piece of poo poo Playstation just to play one game :mad:

Edit: I Just started playing Demon's souls on the pc with the 60 fps patch. It looks so much smoother now.

Happyimp fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 28, 2020

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Do you know how much of a kickin'-rad joystick I could get for hundred+ bucks? VR is being pushed to a lot of people who don't see the appeal, particularly when the shittiest option is still more expensive than any other peripheral they own.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Counterpoint 90% of VR posts I see are people who have a bug up their rear end about VR telling people that like it, that it in fact "sucks".

I've never seen an angrier group of haters than people who have convinced themselves VR is poo poo, and constantly have to let everyone who is enjoying the awesomeness of VR know that.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Moon Monster posted:

VR gives me motion sickness to the point that I feel like poo poo for 12 hours afterward so I have no plans to ever play another VR game.

When was the last time you tried it? VR has come a long way. I puked in a Best Buy in 2016 when I first used a demo and now I have a PSVR and a Rift S.

The PSVR is a great way to watch movies, its Netflix integration and all that is top notch.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

veni veni veni posted:

Counterpoint 90% of VR posts I see are people who have a bug up their rear end about VR telling people that like it, that it in fact "sucks".

I've never seen an angrier group of haters than people who have convinced themselves VR is poo poo, and constantly have to let everyone who is enjoying the awesomeness of VR know that.

It's the console wars resurfacing in a new headset. Doesn't help that people are understandably tired of game companies trying to push overpriced gimmicks on people they inevitably abandon. (except for Nintendo, because they're crazy)

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Rather than retread the vr chat for the millionth time, why dont we instead focus on the truly perplexing bit of that original post:

There are still people who give a poo poo about half life in 2020? :roflolmao:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
as far as VR goes i'm convinced it'll continue to be a gimmick technology long past my own expiration date. it'll be okay someday. but i ain't gonna be around for it

good to steal from idiots on public transport maybe lol

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

Rather than retread the vr chat for the millionth time, why dont we instead focus on the truly perplexing bit of that original post:

There are still people who give a poo poo about half life in 2020? :roflolmao:

Nobody cared until we all found out we could dive into Alyx's dirty underwear.

Countdown to somebody's girlfriend getting furious with them because they found them on the floor wearing a VR headset and THEY KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Happyimp posted:

Why do goons keep saying that you need to spend $1000 on an index to play Alyx? It can be played on any headset. Even the ones that go on sale sometimes for $100. Is it some type of console war mindset that shouldn't still exist in people in their thirties and forties. All I'm saying is, release Bloodbourne on the pc Sony. I'm not buying your piece of poo poo Playstation just to play one game :mad:

Edit: I Just started playing Demon's souls on the pc with the 60 fps patch. It looks so much smoother now.

you’ve been able to legally play Bloodborne on pc for like over a year now

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I guess I can understand the appeal to VR but I don't play games to get fully immersed. I play games while I'm texting people and looking up stuff on my phone and VR just requires to much of my senses locked in and I'll never be willing to make that investment, even if it did get good.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Barudak posted:

The machine gun has a mod thats just as good at popping weakpoints and useful for a different late game enemies unique gimmick while the shotguns really isnt.

Also you dont really need to engage with weakpoints if you dont want to, especially once you get the rocket launcher.

Yeah, I've been playing a lot more and its becoming more natural. Powerups to ammo and armor gathering went a long way.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I guess I can understand the appeal to VR but I don't play games to get fully immersed. I play games while I'm texting people and looking up stuff on my phone and VR just requires to much of my senses locked in and I'll never be willing to make that investment, even if it did get good.

I still think the best way to get your feet wet with VR is an older Galaxy S8 and a Gear VR headset. You can use an XBone controller to play Minecraft VR, which is pretty cool.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
https://arvr.google.com/intl/en_ca/cardboard/get-cardboard/

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

3DOF is a completely separate thing from VR at this point, go to one of those rental places.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I still use my Rift S pretty regularly even after a year of owning it but for the most part VR is just a clunky way to play bad games. I've tried over a dozen titles but H3VR and Racing sims are the only thing that have had any lasting appeal. It's awesome but also disappointing in some ways.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 28, 2020

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I still use my Rift S pretty regularly even after a year of owning it but for the most part VR is just a clunky way to play bad games. I've tried over a dozen titles but H3VR and Racing sims are the only thing that have had any lasting appeal. It's awesome but also disappointing in some ways.

I have put more hours into h3vr than any other game on my steam account, so vr was definitely a worthwhile buy for me. Dirt rally is second, and is amazing in vr.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Opinion of HL-Alyx
They cut the Hydra out of Half-life 2 because it looked bad in first person on a screen, now they have a display that has 3d depth perception and they didn't take the opportunity to bring it back.
Also The way the new VR half life game "fixes" the storyline is really really lazy to the point that it's almost the most laziest way possible.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

veni veni veni posted:

I mean from my point of view having enough money to drop on an expensive peripheral, and a decent gaming PC, and then having a large enough space to combine all of that together is just too much for like 90% of the market.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

For sure. That doesn't mean it isn't good though. The price and the amount of effort it takes is definitely one of the big things holding it back.

Personally I just have the ghetto rear end Playstation VR but it's still a lot of fun and pretty affordable. I'd really like to get something nicer but I don't have a gaming PC atm, so the affordability of the headset is less of an issue than the actual PC.

The oculus quest is pretty obtainable and is supposed to be real good but that's not really what I'm looking for personally.

PastaBakeWizard
Mar 4, 2020
New players being massively behind the curve in fighting games doesn't have a satisfactory solution other than decent skill-based matchmaking. Everyone's trying to simplify their games; nah. Just give the thing a normal MMR instead of the no calibration, start at the bottom mess most of these games have.

PastaBakeWizard fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 29, 2020

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Play posted:

Ah, I get it. You mean the grenade launcher? Yeah I kinda do agree about that, the damage should be a bit more standardized. Also I'm a bit confused at how, even beyond weak points, some guns are better on certain demons than others. The only one I explicitly remember being stated in the game is chaingun against hell knights and ballista against pain elementals, but I think there are probably more

I am 100% playing this game on Easy when I get around to it

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I am 100% playing this game on Easy when I get around to it

I replayed some levels on the second to lowest difficulty to hunt down secrets, and the nice thing about it is that you still have to learn the very same techniques as you have to for the higher difficulty levels. The only difference is you are basically allowed to make more errors and have more time to decide what to do. With more time I mean like 0,5 seconds instead of 0,2 seconds, and with more errors I mean five instead of one.

I totally get why this game isn't for everyone. At one point, id totally hosed it up (from a selling point): the game is brutal at the beginning. It's throwing you into the blender and you don't even know what's happening (tutorials or not).

It takes some time before the game mechanics "click", and that's when you have to decide if you like it or not, and replaying it the third time currently, that moment could very well be outside of the "two hour refund"-range for - e.g. - Steam.

I still think it's a realtime, superpaced JRPG in first person in regard to "if I do this thing, and then this thing, I gain X, while the enemy suffers under Y, so I now do Z that benefits from X and Y". Like combos in Final Fantasy or whatever, but you have to do them alone, in first person, at a very fast pace.

tl;dr: even on the lower difficulties, you won't be able to get around the central game mechanics, and it depends if they are fun to you or not. there won't be a situation which you can simply dakka dakka out off because difficulty is lowered, you'll have to adhere to the game mechanics.

ee: they are pretty awesome, though

tuo fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 29, 2020

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I'm just not into managing cooldowns in Doom. The doom experience i want is to click left mouse button and the wasd keys.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I like all the people getting into VR early because it has pretty quickly boosted the quality of the headsets while reducing the price and giving devs a reason to pursue it

I mean I'm not buying a VR rig yet but the people who are buying them are basically funding the development of something I eventually will buy, and that's cool. Thanks, early adopters

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

signalnoise posted:

I like all the people getting into VR early because it has pretty quickly boosted the quality of the headsets while reducing the price and giving devs a reason to pursue it

I mean I'm not buying a VR rig yet but the people who are buying them are basically funding the development of something I eventually will buy, and that's cool. Thanks, early adopters

Is there any reason to make this hugely smug piece of poo poo post?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I thought it was pretty clear, he's addressing early adopters of a consumer product and rubbing their noses in the phrase "A fool and his money are soon parted".

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Resident Evil is a much cooler name for the series than Biohazard.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I don't think their post was smug or lovely at all, early adopters do all of the things described in that post and that's well-understood by everyone. If anything signalnoise's post seems authentically appreciative of the people who pumped enough money into the nascent products to keep development effort flowing, leading to better products for everyone. It's cool and good.

I don't even agree with Serephina's interpretation; early adopters aren't well-described as being fools, they surely already understand that the first headsets weren't going to be the best or most affordable ones but are happy spending money on it anyway because it interests them. That's fine, nothing prevents them from buying the newer headsets

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yeah the fools are the people who thought that it would be amazing out of the gate, but I genuinely appreciate those early enthusiasts with money following along so that I can eventually have one at a price point that is comfortable for me. I find it to be kind of an unpopular opinion because there are so many people willing to poo poo all over the idea of crowdfunding or whatever new tech because it's "a waste of money".

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I love Dead Cells, but my broken brain refuses to unlock more weapons when upgrading my current unlocked weapons makes winning easier. I keep telling myself that I'm going to unlock and use something else, but nope.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

I have some opinions

Opposing Force > Half Life > Half Life 2
Hidden and Dangerous 2 > All other WW2 games
CoH 2 > CoH 1
Civilization fans prefer bitching about the latest release in the series than playing any of the titles.
Cosmetic DLC is dumb but fine to spend your cash on.
Patch file sizes are too small.
No OpenGL support (afaik) for Microsoft's 3D Movie Maker is the worst gaming travesty.
Consoles are too cheap.

Thanks for reading.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The best WW2 game is Close Combat 3 and it’s not even close

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Budzilla posted:

Hidden and Dangerous 2 > All other WW2 games
Patch file sizes are too small.
No OpenGL support (afaik) for Microsoft's 3D Movie Maker is the worst gaming travesty.
Consoles are too cheap.

Thanks for reading.
I don't understand these, but I agree with the rest. I don't know poo poo about WW2 games

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

world of tanks was pretty great when it was in beta and everyone was using misc early-ww2 tanks with mismatched guns and engines, but then beta was over and they turned the grinding and pay2win way up and turned it into just wow with tanks where everyone rushes to have the same minmaxed endgame tank. company of heroes pretends to be a good close combat successor at first but then it turns out it's really dumb and gamey with the control points and progression. I bring up these two games because they both had the bones of a quality ww2 game and then went the other way with it

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â

Budzilla posted:

I have some opinions

Opposing Force > Half Life > Half Life 2

You have your "greater than" and "less than" signs mixed up. Half life is good, but Half Life 2 is just a much better pure shooter. It has better dynamics in terms of movement, shooting, and environments in a way that makes it much less of a pain in the rear end than Half Life 1 is. Half Life 1 is absolutely the more groundbreaking and novel game, but Half Life 2 is just a more satisfying game to play when it's all said and done.
Also idk if you mean single player WW2 games or Mulitplayer, and I've never played the game you referenced but Medal Of Honor:Allied Assault and Day of Infamy are both pretty incredible.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

DildenAnders posted:

You have your "greater than" and "less than" signs mixed up. Half life is good, but Half Life 2 is just a much better pure shooter. It has better dynamics in terms of movement, shooting, and environments in a way that makes it much less of a pain in the rear end than Half Life 1 is. Half Life 1 is absolutely the more groundbreaking and novel game, but Half Life 2 is just a more satisfying game to play when it's all said and done.
Also idk if you mean single player WW2 games or Mulitplayer, and I've never played the game you referenced but Medal Of Honor:Allied Assault and Day of Infamy are both pretty incredible.

halflife 1 and 2 are both revolutionary in their moment in time and relatively bland and unimpressive with a broader view because every other game since has easily ripped off and built upon the things they did well, and because they didn't do everything well and those shortcomings are glaring in retrospect

e: though at this point in 2020 I've slogged through so many gratuitous open worlds that I may be a bit nostalgic for some AAA corridor action

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

The best WW2 game is Close Combat 3 and it’s not even close
That's actually a game I haven't thought about in a long time. I think I have the original instruction manual somewhere in containers under the house.

signalnoise posted:

I don't understand these, but I agree with the rest. I don't know poo poo about WW2 games
HnD2 is a simmy WW2 shooter made on the original Mafia engine and same developers. You run around as a 4 man SAS squad and it has RPG elements, numerous weapons (some quite rare in WW2 shooters), vehicles, Co-op, dress up, awful interface and a twist ending. It's not flawless but there isn't a WW2 shooter quite like it. It's on Steam.

DildenAnders posted:

Half life is good, but Half Life 2 is just a much better pure shooter.
When I think of good shooters I don't think of stopping the action every 20 minutes to do a physics puzzle.

quote:

lso idk if you mean single player WW2 games or Mulitplayer, and I've never played the game you referenced but Medal Of Honor:Allied Assault and Day of Infamy are both pretty incredible.
MOHAA was great.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

The FPS genre has dived off a cliff straight into the bottom of the sea

Only the new doom games are worth playing. Everything else is some version of call of duty or some mind numbing open world shooter garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
My beef with vr is my dislike of having screens glued to my eyeballs. That's my hot take.

Edit:titanfall 2's campaign rocked pretty hard and there's a nest indie fps scene now