Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

FranktheBank posted:

Theres a few reasons people keep rerolling. First is, people are loving stupid.

Can confirm. Am loving stupid.

quote:

Everyone thinks they 'missed the boat' with TLPs. "I can't start late because I'll be behind, so I'll just wait until the new TLP."

I’ve not had an issue on several TLPs starting late. Coirnav being an exception.

quote:

Were your friends not helping with the raids? gently caress it, wait for TSS and lvl 75. Or make friends with more people and see who else needs it for boxes/alts, it's not a make/break thing. Also, I don't know what class(es) you rolled, but Paw is loving baller xp. Even up to lvl 80 if you are a solo/duo.

I was 4 boxing (pal/dru/brd/mag) and another friend was 2 boxing the dps for my group. We had intended to play together semi-casually, but his partner wound up in a coma and he stopped playing.

I’ve done so much Paw. So, so much Paw. I was going crazy in paw by myself for 4-6 hours an evening. I just couldn’t do it.

The issue for me was the DoN progression AAs that provide buff slots and resists. Those are sort of unmissable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

RCarr posted:

I honestly would love to see the profit margins behind krono sellers. I imagine if everything is automated you can make a shitload of money once it’s all set up.

I am by no means a kronolord, but during luclin/pop on Selo, I was selling AE PLs for 4kr for 4hrs. I could have just put 5 people in it and made 20kr in 4 hours if I wanted to. I didn't actually want to massively effort myself, so I let anyone who did 2 'roles' in for free (meaning pull + ench or wiz + ench or wiz + pull, etc). At the time, kronos were easily selling for $9-10/ea, which means if I wanted to kronolord it, I would have done $45-50/hr. I also didn't want to turn EQ into a job, so I just hit 100kr and blew a bunch of it of cool items lol.

koreban posted:

The issue for me was the DoN progression AAs that provide buff slots and resists. Those are sort of unmissable.

I mean, you did miss them, and you can level to 75, 80, 85+ without them and be fine.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

The pandemic broke my brain. I’m wishing the new TLP server was open.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Ehud posted:

By the time they are released the pandemic will be over and everyone will be stir-crazy from being inside for so long the TLPs will bomb.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Ehud posted:

I was thinking the same exact thing today.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

jabro posted:

By the time they are released the pandemic will be over and everyone will be stir-crazy from being inside for so long the TLPs will bomb.

If they were smart they’d rush one out ASAP and get a flood of subscriptions.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

RCarr posted:

If they were smart they’d rush one out ASAP and get a flood of subscriptions.

Dreamweaver has responded to multiple people that brought up this exact point that their people aren't in the office/data center and can't spin up the server, even if they wanted to, so they're sticking with their 4-6 week launch window.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I didn't think about this before but do they actually have the ability to deploy patches right now?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

blatman posted:

I didn't think about this before but do they actually have the ability to deploy patches right now?

I would count on the answer being no.

Not because the technical capability doesn’t exist, but because remote work isn’t nearly as efficient as being on-site and collaborating in person.

I don’t know if their people are furloughed, or just working remotely, but either way, my IT senses go nuts when I think of remote deployment of any software package, let alone a live update to an MMO.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
Is krono farming on new servers still a thing ? And are Necros still the best class to do it with?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

It most certainly is a thing. I’m not knowledgeable enough about which class does it the best though.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Verbose posted:

Is krono farming on new servers still a thing ? And are Necros still the best class to do it with?

In vanilla, yes.

High pass keep guards can be auto farmed with a /pet attack guard & /pet attack a_guard. This is unlocked soon as you get your level 41 pet and will earn you 2kp an hour, which is basically a krono an hour for idle afk farming.

From there go to lguk and undead charm frogs to murder named spawns. Sell loot rights to guise camp, farm SMRs in picks, steal whatever mob you want it’s yours if you have a charm pet and Ud Nuke loaded.

You can also lock down and solo efreeti. Necros are great at easy server krono lording on a single character.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-

onesixtwo posted:

In vanilla, yes.

High pass keep guards can be auto farmed with a /pet attack guard & /pet attack a_guard. This is unlocked soon as you get your level 41 pet and will earn you 2kp an hour, which is basically a krono an hour for idle afk farming.

From there go to lguk and undead charm frogs to murder named spawns. Sell loot rights to guise camp, farm SMRs in picks, steal whatever mob you want it’s yours if you have a charm pet and Ud Nuke loaded.

You can also lock down and solo efreeti. Necros are great at easy server krono lording on a single character.

I think I misread something a few posts back, it's illegal to sell krono for real money? I thought it was like the D3 RMAH

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I mean yes it is but you'd have to do some real stupid poo poo or make yourself a nuisance to get busted for it. It's certainly possible if you're just mysteriously hanging onto hundreds of krono and then handing them out for cheap or nothing but they barely stop people from warping around, some guy afking guards in high keep for like $10 an hour is nothing.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Stanos posted:

It's certainly possible if you're just mysteriously hanging onto hundreds of krono and then handing them out for cheap or nothing

Isn’t this what Kronolords do though? Have a stockpile of Krono and hand them over to other players, getting nothing (in game) in return?

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Stanos posted:

I mean yes it is but you'd have to do some real stupid poo poo or make yourself a nuisance to get busted for it. It's certainly possible if you're just mysteriously hanging onto hundreds of krono and then handing them out for cheap or nothing but they barely stop people from warping around, some guy afking guards in high keep for like $10 an hour is nothing.

Was just looking for some extra income to get rid of this crippling credit card debt and I already work two jobs

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

onesixtwo posted:

In vanilla, yes.

This is all absolutely true, however with the new not-MQ2 scripting software, kronolords have built themselves automated unattended scripts for high keep, efreeti, mistmoore, guk, kerra isle, cyclops isle, etc.

Just about anywhere that you could feasibly make plat or drops worth anything, they’ll have a box crew of necro/mages that run unattended 24/7 and /pick over to other instances on timers for respawns.

It was a huge issue on Mangler with several well-documented farmers at cyclops isle, mistmoore, and efreeti especially that were never banned for the entirety of vanilla. I had stopped playing there by week 2 of kunark, but there were already reports of the farmers having moved over to seb and established themselves at chef, king, crypt, etc.

The absolute best way to make krono is to get in with a group of high-effort folks and run weekly Plat raids. A handful of skilled multiboxers can fill up the core of a raiding crew and auctioning off drops for plat/krono to pubbies can land you wildly lucrative raids for a couple hours a week’s work.

I can recall running public-bidding raids (we would piggy in people who outbid from outside the raid) and could come up 2-300 krono over the course of an evening depending on drops. Split to the person, not the number of boxes brought netted me an average of 10-14 krono, high of something like 21 once.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
If you’re high-effort, high reward, long-view money making, you’ll do real well maxing tradeskills in EQ for plat.

Gnome Rogue for the most options in a single class.

ogre/iksar/dark elf if you’re in the DoN+ era and want the best money making options in cultural armors.

Tinkering in the cultural armor era, especially if you can farm clockwork bolts/instructions, can net you *serious* krono once the last bloods/AAAAs start rolling in.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

koreban posted:

If you’re high-effort, high reward, long-view money making, you’ll do real well maxing tradeskills in EQ for plat.

Gnome Rogue for the most options in a single class.

ogre/iksar/dark elf if you’re in the DoN+ era and want the best money making options in cultural armors.

Tinkering in the cultural armor era, especially if you can farm clockwork bolts/instructions, can net you *serious* krono once the last bloods/AAAAs start rolling in.

I really didn't do much tradeskills last time, is it because of gnome tinkering? I thought about trying paladin this time 'cause it seemed pretty unique and I didn't see a lot of them. I rolled enchanter last vanilla and they seemed like a high pop class.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Verbose posted:

I really didn't do much tradeskills last time, is it because of gnome tinkering? I thought about trying paladin this time 'cause it seemed pretty unique and I didn't see a lot of them. I rolled enchanter last vanilla and they seemed like a high pop class.

When cultural armors come into their own in DoDH, they start using components that come from raid drops, coupled with a massively subcombine intensive container called the Quad-A, or AAAA (it's got a name, but it's the usual EQ gnomish bullshit name no one would ever be able to type properly from memory. Some sort of Anizok's Amalgamator). Back when I last played and Kronos were 50-60k, I think Quad-As were 250k+ at DoDH launch. You need one AAAA that is consumed in the combine, per piece of visible cultural armor. If you min-max correctly, I think you need all but one visible slot worth of cultural armors, so 7 total. I think at cost the AAAAs were close to 100k plat in pure materials, and savvy folks could get 50-100k with someone else providing mats for the combine.

In my experience, a lot of guilds' members will not even bother with tradeskills beyond whatever the 1.5/2.0 requires if there's a high-effort/high-playtime member who has multiple tradeskills maxed. So if you're in on that gravy train early, it's almost exclusive going forward, assuming you can keep up with it.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

koreban posted:

When cultural armors come into their own in DoDH, they start using components that come from raid drops, coupled with a massively subcombine intensive container called the Quad-A, or AAAA (it's got a name, but it's the usual EQ gnomish bullshit name no one would ever be able to type properly from memory. Some sort of Anizok's Amalgamator). Back when I last played and Kronos were 50-60k, I think Quad-As were 250k+ at DoDH launch. You need one AAAA that is consumed in the combine, per piece of visible cultural armor. If you min-max correctly, I think you need all but one visible slot worth of cultural armors, so 7 total. I think at cost the AAAAs were close to 100k plat in pure materials, and savvy folks could get 50-100k with someone else providing mats for the combine.

In my experience, a lot of guilds' members will not even bother with tradeskills beyond whatever the 1.5/2.0 requires if there's a high-effort/high-playtime member who has multiple tradeskills maxed. So if you're in on that gravy train early, it's almost exclusive going forward, assuming you can keep up with it.

So then the idea is you use your plat to buy krono from other people, and then put your krono up for sale on some website?

Also, this is something that will pay off a few xpacs down the line right? The other farming stuff is better at launch?

Verbose fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 28, 2020

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Verbose posted:

So then the idea is you use your plat to buy krono from other people, and then put your krono up for sale on some website?

Also, this is something that will pay off a few xpacs down the line right? The other farming stuff is better at launch?

Playerauctions.com is the website for buying and selling EQ stuff. Has been for decades now.

Farming stuff at launch is quick early cash and can pay off if you box your own farming crew or get in with some high-effort folks early. It’s hit-or-miss however because a lot of players will end up leveling in and around farming spots, and the professional kronolords will have automated box crews at all the top locations within a day or two of launch (Efreeti and frenzied ghoul).

Tradeskilling is playing the long game. If you’re savvy and patient and farm materials yourself you can make bank on Banded Mail or Wu’s armors early. Ranged slot idols from pottery. Misty thicket picnics.

I don’t recall kunark’s TS stuff well, but velious has panther armors and skyshrine stuff.

You can collect materials for the solstice earring equipment for Luclin launch, some epic weapon quest tradeable materials, the Luclin ranged slot focus idols, elemental bows, etc. there’s the green metal bane weapons for Ssra and the other type for Seru, acrylia armor.

Plus you’ll be well positioned for all the best tradeskill mastery equipment like coldain ring and shawl, concordance in knowledge, seru earring, etc.

And yes, you should be flush with platinum that you can use to buy krono. If you’re also decent on the raids, you can also be the moneyperson for plat raids, collecting the payments for the loot drops and paying out in krono (and making change for platinum when the split requires it), because you’re flush. (Pay yourself for the effort, as well.)

It’s *much* higher effort than buying a few laptops and the new automated software, but you actually play the game, socialize with people, and ideally you’d be having fun doing it.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Yeah I don't even have the money for a few laptops sooo

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Verbose posted:

Yeah I don't even have the money for a few laptops sooo

If you can make one tradeskill capped character, you can get in on that. If you’re a high demand class like cleric, enchanter, warrior, SK, or a rare one like rogue, you should have lots of grouping opportunities and can probably justify prioritizing some loot drops like blocks of clay, iron, silks, etc.

Trying to compete with professional kronolords takes some serious commitment.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Everything surrounding the cash camps of early era EQ on these servers is toxic as gently caress beyond belief. Necro is the right choice so you can easily avoid being trained to death. As a solo player I feel like you're better off being a commonlands tunnel auction baron if your want to make money pre Luclin.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Verbose posted:

Redguides although I guess they switched to https://ectunnel.com/community/

Found those vendors to be cheaper back when I played.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

The most amazing money making scheme I've seen on the TLPs is the guy who ran 36 bots in Siren's Grotto on Corinav. He had 12 of them across 3 picks running every day for over 6 months. He must have been making many hundreds of krono per week with 0 effort after the set up. It's like the ideal zone because nobody hunts in the area he was botting and he had enough of his bots there to force more picks to open. It's essentially as good as a plat dupe but with no risk of getting banned.

After running into this guy and wasting hours recording and reporting him I just gave up on the game. Apparently the guy was running 100 bots (never saw it myself so I assume it was less) in the same spot on Selo and god knows how many on Mangler.

J
Jun 10, 2001

koreban posted:

This is all absolutely true, however with the new not-MQ2 scripting software, kronolords have built themselves automated unattended scripts for high keep, efreeti, mistmoore, guk, kerra isle, cyclops isle, etc.

I just lurk this thread to keep up with how EQ is doing nowadays but haven't actually played in forever so I don't really understand certain things like how picks work, but what happens when two kronolords want to AFK farm the same spot? Is their unattended setup so sturdy that it can't really be tampered with by anyone else? This is fascinating to me.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

koreban posted:

Playerauctions.com is the website for buying and selling EQ stuff. Has been for decades now.

Farming stuff at launch is quick early cash and can pay off if you box your own farming crew or get in with some high-effort folks early. It’s hit-or-miss however because a lot of players will end up leveling in and around farming spots, and the professional kronolords will have automated box crews at all the top locations within a day or two of launch (Efreeti and frenzied ghoul).

Tradeskilling is playing the long game. If you’re savvy and patient and farm materials yourself you can make bank on Banded Mail or Wu’s armors early. Ranged slot idols from pottery. Misty thicket picnics.

I don’t recall kunark’s TS stuff well, but velious has panther armors and skyshrine stuff.

You can collect materials for the solstice earring equipment for Luclin launch, some epic weapon quest tradeable materials, the Luclin ranged slot focus idols, elemental bows, etc. there’s the green metal bane weapons for Ssra and the other type for Seru, acrylia armor.

Plus you’ll be well positioned for all the best tradeskill mastery equipment like coldain ring and shawl, concordance in knowledge, seru earring, etc.

And yes, you should be flush with platinum that you can use to buy krono. If you’re also decent on the raids, you can also be the moneyperson for plat raids, collecting the payments for the loot drops and paying out in krono (and making change for platinum when the split requires it), because you’re flush. (Pay yourself for the effort, as well.)

It’s *much* higher effort than buying a few laptops and the new automated software, but you actually play the game, socialize with people, and ideally you’d be having fun doing it.

I’d also suggest ectunnel as the go to for anything EQ

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

J posted:

I just lurk this thread to keep up with how EQ is doing nowadays but haven't actually played in forever so I don't really understand certain things like how picks work, but what happens when two kronolords want to AFK farm the same spot? Is their unattended setup so sturdy that it can't really be tampered with by anyone else? This is fascinating to me.

They battle it out and one of them decides to move on. It's the same for when players decide to move in and screw with them. Thing is: people at a keyboard eventually get tired of waiting on spawns, and/or Harm Touch only works so many times in an hour. Their scripts don't get tired, and the timers don't meaningfully change, so while you may have sure got 'em good in main pick, he's going to hop over to another pick in a couple minutes and get the next 3 or 4 spawns while you wait 27 minutes for respawns.

I (eyes) watched a guy get his crew trained by a particularly dedicated monk such that it wiped the crew out, who proceeded to reset their pathing and run straight back into the pack of pulled mobs until eventually the bind point got swarmed. Dude went from level 50 to level 11 over the course of an evening and his little bots just kept on trying to run out of the pack of mobs that were slaughtering them all night.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

koreban posted:

They battle it out and one of them decides to move on. It's the same for when players decide to move in and screw with them. Thing is: people at a keyboard eventually get tired of waiting on spawns, and/or Harm Touch only works so many times in an hour. Their scripts don't get tired, and the timers don't meaningfully change, so while you may have sure got 'em good in main pick, he's going to hop over to another pick in a couple minutes and get the next 3 or 4 spawns while you wait 27 minutes for respawns.

I (eyes) watched a guy get his crew trained by a particularly dedicated monk such that it wiped the crew out, who proceeded to reset their pathing and run straight back into the pack of pulled mobs until eventually the bind point got swarmed. Dude went from level 50 to level 11 over the course of an evening and his little bots just kept on trying to run out of the pack of mobs that were slaughtering them all night.

I was fairly sure the good bots would tell the human in charge they are being hosed with in various ways. The humans know the rules of the game and how to report people for training them and other stuff like that and will "play by the rules" while a GM watches the situation. This has the enjoyable end game of banning the "monk" in this situation and allowing the bot army to continue.

Early on the current TLP some guy with the guild name "Paul" had the ice giants camped for almost a month before he got banned, at the same time guild members got banned for trying to break his hold on the camp.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

I know you said a gnome rogue was best for tradeskills, but aren't they lovely cause of their low strength? Also do poison making and tinkering count as the two skills you can level to max? Finally, are they all good moneymakers or is one skill better than the others?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Verbose posted:

I know you said a gnome rogue was best for tradeskills, but aren't they lovely cause of their low strength? Also do poison making and tinkering count as the two skills you can level to max? Finally, are they all good moneymakers or is one skill better than the others?

Gnome rogue can do the most trade skills in one character. Poisonmaking isn’t super lucrative, but tinkering absolutely can be later on.

Stats can be augmented by smartly keeping gear and crafting JC jewelry for stats. +Str is also the easiest stat to collect.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

koreban posted:

Gnome rogue can do the most trade skills in one character. Poisonmaking isn’t super lucrative, but tinkering absolutely can be later on.

Stats can be augmented by smartly keeping gear and crafting JC jewelry for stats. +Str is also the easiest stat to collect.

If you max out Tinkering and Poisonmaking, does that count against your two tradeskills you can level past 200?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Verbose posted:

If you max out Tinkering and Poisonmaking, does that count against your two tradeskills you can level past 200?

I think so, but I’m 95% on that. Maxing smithing and tailoring is the smart move.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

What about jewelcrafting

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
JC is super good krono making early on but you have to pay a significant up front cost in making it. Plus a gnome rogue would be able to jc, you’d just have to use your enchanter box to enchant everything.

By end of velious if they actively raid, any raiding character has all maxed primary stats regardless of race/class combo. Hell if I played again, a gnome rogue is one of the combos I’d do.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

onesixtwo posted:

JC is super good krono making early on but you have to pay a significant up front cost in making it. Plus a gnome rogue would be able to jc, you’d just have to use your enchanter box to enchant everything.

By end of velious if they actively raid, any raiding character has all maxed primary stats regardless of race/class combo. Hell if I played again, a gnome rogue is one of the combos I’d do.

So the way it works is that only two skills can be maxed past 200 right? Is stuff below that still useful? Like would you take tinkering past 200 or is the moneymaking stuff below that

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Verbose posted:

So the way it works is that only two skills can be maxed past 200 right? Is stuff below that still useful? Like would you take tinkering past 200 or is the moneymaking stuff below that

Starting in Velious you can take AAs that allow you to raise an additional skill past 200, eventually leading to getting all of them to 300. There are also the tradeskill trophies and the Luclin tradeskill modifier items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Verbose posted:

Some Tradeskills do not count, not sure which anymore but I know research does not.