Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

LonsomeSon posted:

I was skeptical about vehicle pathfinding when I first picked this game up, but provided you've got a wide enough cleared path it is pretty good. Actually recording the route can be pretty loving frustrating, also, and I found that following the autopilot tractor in my own tractor let me get a better idea of how the AI is interpreting the instructions, when the game is actively moving the vehicle around where the player can see, anyway.

Moving large amounts of materials between two remote outposts you rarely visit in person is basically the perfect application for vehicle autopilot, because at least as I understand it the movement is abstracted when there isn't a player present.

I thought about messing with the tractor cause you get it pretty early, but when I realized you could build sky bridges to anywhere very easily, I just said, why wouldn't I conveyor stuff? I just got to Tier 7/8 with the space elevator, I could have optimized stuff around my base with a truck, but turns out killing time flying around getting stuff to bring into my manufacturer manually was best. Now I'm onto stupid aluminum processing and just feel like I might be done with this game for the time being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I'm pretty sure the tractor cheats when you're not looking but even still I've set them some incredibly lovely paths and they've done just fine.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

LifeSunDeath posted:

I thought about messing with the tractor cause you get it pretty early, but when I realized you could build sky bridges to anywhere very easily, I just said, why wouldn't I conveyor stuff? I just got to Tier 7/8 with the space elevator, I could have optimized stuff around my base with a truck, but turns out killing time flying around getting stuff to bring into my manufacturer manually was best. Now I'm onto stupid aluminum processing and just feel like I might be done with this game for the time being.

Not having long rear end conveyors going all over the map helps a lot with min spec computers and multiplayer lag. I have like 6 trucks going but have switched over to trains and once you set them up they're a lot of fun. The water train from the aqua cola station is enough to keep my aluminum and my 'wet' cement machines going with 3 liquid freight stations on each end.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Fans posted:

I'm pretty sure the tractor cheats when you're not looking but even still I've set them some incredibly lovely paths and they've done just fine.

They 100% do cheat. If they need a bridge over a gap, you can delete the bridge afterward or build a straight up wall, if you're not looking at them they're fine

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

When you’re nearby the vehicle it drives between each arrow, but when you’re far away from it, it actually just teleports to each arrow so it usually only messes up and gets screwed up near your base (where you is!)

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

tranten posted:

When you’re nearby the vehicle it drives between each arrow, but when you’re far away from it, it actually just teleports to each arrow so it usually only messes up and gets screwed up near your base (where you is!)

This was my first truck path:

It worked surprisingly great! ...as long as I was either watching the truck the entire way or if I was far enough away that it would teleport from arrow to arrow. Turns out that if I got back to the factory from somewhere else and caused the truck load in for full simulation while traversing that path it would be about a 50/50 on it falling down into the lake while trying to resolve the difference.

The waypointing system is still fine over reasonably flat terrain. The problem is that there are some fuzzy and ill-defined limits to what level of non-flat it can handle. You can't really tell if a path you've made is going to be problematic or not when you're making it or even by following the truck around afterwards, since paths mainly fail when you're not looking at them.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

So I'm hesitant to mess with nuclear power since the waste is a pain in the rear end to deal with. Have the game devs said anything about what the plan to do with nuclear waste, or is it just the penalty for getting to the end stage of the game? Also lol:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I've seen some rumors that nuclear waste will be used for the quantum computer technology.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
I like that it's useless. It means you have to solve the problem of long term storage

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

At least at the moment, nuclear waste is built entirely around having a waste item you can't get rid of. Stack together a few industrial storage containers and they'll handle your waste for days, and once they fill up it's not like it's hard to build a few more. Just got to do it somewhere out of the way.

I can't imagine it being used in anything productive. Maybe it could get some alt recipes that use a resource to turn nuclear waste into less nuclear waste. Since it only exists as a byproduct of power generation it'd be really frustrating to have as a required resource for something useful - you can't have a consistent rate of supply.

Maybe in the future depleted uranium would be a usable resource? It'd give uranium nodes a use other than power, and they've got to fill those last three tiers with something.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Figure out a way to turn it into ammunition for spaceship mounted railguns, and let the crusher accept it.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
If the devs were evil, they coul make radiation levels increase exponentially related to the amount of nuclear waste stored close together

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you run the math you're not going to need anything fancier than a few industrial storages out in the middle of the ocean or an unused corner or cave on land.

That still leaves a feels issue since that seems kind of half assed. Maybe have something like a garbage pit that has higher storage than an industrial storages, dampens radioactivity a little, but you can't retrieve anything dumped into it.

I don't know, maybe it is fitting to just cjuck it out into the ocean.

Combining those ideas. Garbage pits aren't fed by belts, but by catapults up to a km away.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yeah one large storage container can hold waste from 80 hours worth of one nuclear plant running at full load. If you build two waste containers per plant you build you're basically set forever.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Give us another Space-Elevator-Size building, but a mag-lev catapult which flings entire storage cans into the sun.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
The thing to remember about trucks is that to increase the throughput of the route, you'll need to upgrade to a bigger truck, not use more trucks - trucks that are on autopilot have no way to detect other trucks, so trying to put multiple vehicles on the same route WILL inevitably lead to collisions and one (or both) participants getting physics-yeeted into the lake three hills away.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Or, if your production is too high for one belt to fill a truck station enough to fill a truck before it makes a full circle, make more truck stations and have the truck stop at all of them. If you have three truck stations filling at 120 items/min and your truck stops at all three, the truck effectively fills at 360 items/min. You just need a similar arrangement for the unloading.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

At least at the moment, nuclear waste is built entirely around having a waste item you can't get rid of. Stack together a few industrial storage containers and they'll handle your waste for days, and once they fill up it's not like it's hard to build a few more. Just got to do it somewhere out of the way.

I can't imagine it being used in anything productive. Maybe it could get some alt recipes that use a resource to turn nuclear waste into less nuclear waste. Since it only exists as a byproduct of power generation it'd be really frustrating to have as a required resource for something useful - you can't have a consistent rate of supply.

Maybe in the future depleted uranium would be a usable resource? It'd give uranium nodes a use other than power, and they've got to fill those last three tiers with something.

Except, part of the plot of the game is "nothing goes to waste" so it's weird that endgame you have waste.

Was looking up the datamined tier 9 objects and alien ore stuff...having storage that teleports to other boxes will be nice, i really miss the factorio drones and logic boxes.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

nielsm posted:

Or, if your production is too high for one belt to fill a truck station enough to fill a truck before it makes a full circle, make more truck stations and have the truck stop at all of them. If you have three truck stations filling at 120 items/min and your truck stops at all three, the truck effectively fills at 360 items/min. You just need a similar arrangement for the unloading.

Wait, do truck stations load at 120 items/minute or 120 stacks of items per minute?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
120 stacks per minute for the station. I haven't done the math but the rate limiting step is going to be the belt going in unless you're trying to truck screws or something. So the point is more about when your production outpaces your current belt tech.

E. I guess the math isn't that hard, belts are the rate limiting step for all items going through a truck station.

As long as your travel time is less than the bench mark times calculated in the wiki, you can treat truck stations as a magic portal from the input belt to the output belt which is pretty awesome and what attracted me to them for coal because I'm allergic to manual activity like plopping belts every 40m.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 27, 2020

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
What I'd like is some kind of reverse mine, a structure similar to the 'AWESOME Sink'. Just a big bottomless pit you can build a machine on that just buries all the nuclear waste deep below the mantle. Just to make it extra hard, each load of waste has to be loaded into a container that requires seperate parts to make. Sounds like a possibility and I can imagine some of the hilariously dickish places they could put these.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That would be a good idea, or just something that requires high end parts to make that can be combined with nuclear waste to make it safe for the awesome sink.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

Tombot posted:

What I'd like is some kind of reverse mine, a structure similar to the 'AWESOME Sink'. Just a big bottomless pit you can build a machine on that just buries all the nuclear waste deep below the mantle. Just to make it extra hard, each load of waste has to be loaded into a container that requires seperate parts to make. Sounds like a possibility and I can imagine some of the hilariously dickish places they could put these.

That's actually a really clever idea. Make waste disposal a resource you have to work around

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Joda posted:

That's actually a really clever idea. Make waste disposal a resource you have to work around

Reprocess the waste into usable uranium again to feed back into the fuel production system, like the factorio kovarex enrichment process.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Sekhmnet posted:

Reprocess the waste into usable uranium again to feed back into the fuel production system, like the factorio kovarex enrichment process.

just as long as you don't phrase it as "do it like Factorio" i guess

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

FFT posted:

just as long as you don't phrase it as "do it like Factorio" i guess

The more time I've played satisfactory the more I appreciate that it's not factorio. I love that belts can clip through each other but for aesthetics I can rise them over each other. I love that machines don't slow down based on power running low, so you don't end up in a situation where your base is working, but it's going at 5 percent normal speed suddenly and you have to massively reconfigure everything to solve it. I'm really happy that resource nodes don't run out, so mostly I set far away stuff up, belt it in, and never look back.

Really wish I cared more about the aesthetic stuff, I'm more of a just make it work player, so every time I had to lay a bunch of foundations and actually build an organized area it was kind of a drag. I built so many drat computers and reinforced frames at workbenches you people would have lost your mind. I just love quick and dirty grinding research and getting new poo poo!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The problem with nuclear waste is it's not challenging or fun. It's just an extra step that's trivially solved in an unsatisfying way.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

LifeSunDeath posted:

I love that machines don't slow down based on power running low, so you don't end up in a situation where your base is working, but it's going at 5 percent normal speed suddenly and you have to massively reconfigure everything to solve it.

...it just shuts down completely instead. So if there's a temporary blip you just need to get over, the factory can't. I'm not sure that's better, really.

It'd help a lot if the power display also showed you the maximum potential draw, if all your machinery is running at the same time, the same way it shows maximum generation. So you can make sure you're producing enough to cover that. Otherwise unless you're keeping a running total as you build things, you'll only know you've gone over when it spikes.

Alternatively (or additionally!), put in capacitors that function as batteries to cover those spikes. I'd like that.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

I cover spikes by building more generators than I can fuel. That's effectively a battery.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Dr. Stab posted:

I cover spikes by building more generators than I can fuel. That's effectively a battery.

Then you just need a display for your maximum sustained power draw if all fuel reserves were spent.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
In a way I never experienced in Factorio, maybe because of the difference of mapping, or 2d vs 3d scale, I am quickly feeling like a techpriest in WH40K when I go to older parts of my mall.

Without plans or schematics I have no idea by what forces of man the reinforced iron plates and steel beams fill the storage container so I say a hail Mary that there might be more when I come back.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

zedprime posted:

In a way I never experienced in Factorio, maybe because of the difference of mapping, or 2d vs 3d scale, I am quickly feeling like a techpriest in WH40K when I go to older parts of my mall.

Without plans or schematics I have no idea by what forces of man the reinforced iron plates and steel beams fill the storage container so I say a hail Mary that there might be more when I come back.

Goddamn, they need to have Dreadnaughts in this game.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I finally started sinking my teeth into this two days ago. While my factory is very obviously in extremely early stages, and probably fraught with inefficiencies and wasteful design, I feel it has already served its true purpose in granting me this beautiful, stupid golf cart

https://i.imgur.com/GgzLYZY.gifv

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

I'm rethinking my position on turrets now that critters spawn in my base regularly. Although honestly a door that could be closed to keep wildlife outside would work just as well. At least they don't tear up the machines.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Alright, question: Do trains just... not work right in multiplayer? I mean, it might be because we're on experimental (I know) but I went to all the trouble to build our first big train route then set up the train on the tracks and... nothing. I can't get in it, can't attach cars to the engine, nothing. I was briefly able to get in one and kinda nudge it around a little when the host was nearby, observing me. Is this some kind of weird host/client issue? Is it a known bug?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yes trains are massively broken in multiplayer. It's one of the areas they hope to fix with the dedicated servers development track they announced.

They do somewhat work in multiplayer, but only the host can build and control the trains fully. Other clients have some limited control when the host player is near, as you saw.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I just got tractors and steel unlocked. Are tractors reliable for transporting ore, or should I hang tight for trains?

oh god i do not have enough coal and the amount of iron ore I need now is loving astonishing

Other news, I was trying to make jump pad networks earlier but part of me just wants to rely on the golfcart until I get to hypertubes

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I just got tractors and steel unlocked. Are tractors reliable for transporting stuff or should I hang tight for trains?

oh god i do not have enough coal and the amount of iron ore I need now is loving astonishing

Other news, I was trying to make jump pad networks earlier but part of me just wants to rely on the golfcart until I get to hypertubes

I didn't build a jump pad network until almost the very end of doing the space elevator research. They're pretty cool and useful with the jetpack but they feel pretty slow and having to air control to chain them together and not take damage is kinda stupid, I wish they had purple jelly pads that would just rebound you with continued momentum. I only use to hypertubes as a launcher to my far off oil rigs and back...otherwise it's just kinda slow for actually going through tubes.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

I just got tractors and steel unlocked. Are tractors reliable for transporting ore, or should I hang tight for trains?

Tractors are perfectly good for hauling ore at the volumes and distances you need in tier 3. Once you've managed to record the full circuit they're perfectly reliable, as they are abstracted out when they're not near you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Tenebrais posted:

Tractors are perfectly good for hauling ore at the volumes and distances you need in tier 3. Once you've managed to record the full circuit they're perfectly reliable, as they are abstracted out when they're not near you.

Oh good, I'd wondered how their pathing was handled. Part of me worried about them hitting a random fuckin tree or firespitter or something and getting completely derailed forever.

I just need to decide how to organize my buildings now - where to put smelting vs manufacturing, whether to continue with the Main Bus thing I've got going borrowed from Factorio, that sort of thing.

I assume I get an in-game map at some point? I have no idea how big this world is (trying to see how far I can get without wiki'ing everything)