Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like it. A quick search suggests people have been complaining about it going back to the release and no suggested fixes. I usually point my view to where I want to zoom then go into ads, probably doesn't help you at all sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

I just found a mod for the PC version that extends the render distance from ~400 meters to 715. Literal game changer.

https://www.nexusmods.com/thehuntercallofthewild/mods/5

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Trillhouse posted:

I just found a mod for the PC version that extends the render distance from ~400 meters to 715. Literal game changer.

:eyepop:

Any performance hit?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

gently caress, downloading that right now. Should make cuatro colinas and savannah much better.

Edit:Not noticing any performance issues on my end, but my specs are well above the recommended.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 29, 2020

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

There's a pretty good Steam sale on the game and all DLC right now:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/518790/theHunter_Call_of_the_Wild/

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Got back into this yesterday, and the latest version seems to have some crashing problems. On two separate occasions when buying ammo, clicking back and forth on guns checking what ammo they use has caused a hard freeze with a crash report thing...

Fun game otherwise. Not sure how long the drilling rifle has been a thing, but the 16 gauge slugs are a force of nature. Shoot a deer in the chest and it just drops dead instantly.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Slugs are great fun, it's a real crime there isn't a 12 gauge side-by side for some real cowboy action:bustem:

Anyway they released some new weapon dlc it's a caplock muzzleloader,a 10 gauge lever action shotgun for some terminator action, and finally a M1 Garand expy which is probably the stand out in the pack.

Edit:And of course the Muzzleloader is bugged on the rifle range and you can only shoot once before it just reloads over and over.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 27, 2020

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Hub Cat posted:

a M1 Garand expy which is probably the stand out in the pack.

Finally, a real deer gun. .30-06 downs whitetails with a single shot from 100m+.. no waiting for them to bleed out as with the .243.

Otoh, Windows gave me a Clock Watchdog Timeout BSOD after a few hours of playing today... first BSOD in nearly 5 years of having my current pc build.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

There was a .30-06 bolt action in Weapon Pack 3, but this is just a straight upgrade. Knowing EW the recoil is basically unmanageable for actually making followup shots without the perk in the shotgun tree, but it's the thought that counts I guess?
Edit: Console players are reporting weird rear end graphical and or geometry bugs. Would love to hear how this is happening.
Edit2:I really don't know what to say about bugs tbh, they said they were going to delay pushing paid dlc and knuckledown and fix bugs in July of last year but as far as I can tell that didn't really happen(probably because they have no money) so its just an endless cycle of broken patches with a handful of bug fixes that never really fix the core bugs over and over again.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 27, 2020

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

The .30-06 in WP3 is a M1903 expy.

Just bought the new pack, gonna help me out when I'm out of work next week.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I don't think the Eckers is a Springfield copy, pretty much none of the features are the same and it looks more like a modern hunting rifle.
Anyway the muzzleloaders look hideous but they have some killer penetration with Minié balls. It blew through both legs, both lungs and the spine because I forgot to check my zero before shooting, on a Moose

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Mar 27, 2020

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

The muzzleloader is an expy of the Hawken rifle I think, maybe even specifically the Pedersoli clone of it. It's great fun to use and I appreciate there's finally a reason to carry both kinds of ammunition; the round ball lets you use it on class 3 game at the cost of range and penetration.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I've just started out playing this and I'm terrible. Are the animal calls actually useful? How much range do they have? Also, what rifle should I be aiming to save up for next after the starter one?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I've just started out playing this and I'm terrible. Are the animal calls actually useful? How much range do they have? Also, what rifle should I be aiming to save up for next after the starter one?

1). Yes very. Scent lures are also fairly effective but more difficult to use.

2). Between 150m and 200m for most callers it shows you on the loadout screen and in the shop, just make sure you're using the correct caller for the animal you're calling.

Hub Cat posted:

With the lures as long as you're using a correct lure for the animal, the animal is in range (usually 200m) and the animal isn't aware of you somehow they will eventually come over if you call them enough. It can take a lot longer than you would think, the big thing is to listen out for leaves rustling (zooming in with binoculars or a scope sort of magnifies sound and can make the rustling easier to hear). When I'm calling in an animal I usually like to do a couple of calls wait 10-20 seconds then do another set then settle down and maybe call every 45 seconds or so, if after a couple of minutes you don't hear any rustling the animal was probably out of range.You can't overcall but it's easy to get distracted calling and then have the animal show up and you spook it. Generally if you can hear an animals calls they can hear your calls but if they are making repeated warning calls they are aware of you somehow.

3). The .243 is fairly effective against your average deer(whitetail,blacktail, roe and fallow) especially with the polymer ammo but the .270 is a solid upgrade.
For the bigger deer like Red Deer, Elk, Caribou, Reindeer and also Black Bears you want to be looking at the 7mm or the .45-70 with the 7mm being the better choice if you favor longer range shooting and the lever gun(.45-70) loses effectiveness beyond 100-150m, they also work on Moose but it requires good shot placement if you don't want to spend a lot of time tracking.
The .338 is the only choice for large animals like Bison etc.

So tldr usual recommended progression is .243->7mm->.338 for maximum species per dollar but personally I feel like the .270 is worth spending the cash on to increase enjoyment now if you aren't a super great shot and the .45-70 is worth looking at for a fun time after since its been rebalanced a bit(the problem being it only takes the lever scope and so your choice ends up being a good scope you use for all the rifles in the Hyperion 4-8 or the Lever scope which is only useful for the 2 lever guns). The .30-30 is largely a novelty since its basically as effective as the .243 but with less effective range.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 27, 2020

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Cool! Thanks for the answer, it helps a lot. I think half of my successful shots so far have just been lucky panic snap shots. Oh, and also one on a rabbit that was stuck on a rock and was running vertically in place somehow.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Honestly and this isn't a shot at you or anything, the best recommendation I can give is to be patient and take things slow. You would be surprised how often just walking slowly allows you to stumble into a whole herd of deer just grazing or the animal you're tracking just hanging out. Plus your accuracy goes way up when you have the time to setup the perfect shot without having to rush in a quick shot before the animal flees.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 27, 2020

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Yeah, that does seem to be very true. Do animals stop occasionally at places that are not specifically designated as "need zones"?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I think they stop and slow down for brief periods of time if they're within a certain radius of you, but otherwise they just travel directly between need zones. I'm not really 100% sure on this though. They have sort of a set schedule and all their time is accounted for by need zones.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I've gotten them to stop and hang outside of need zones with calls and favorable wind, even in early game. But you have to be lucky. Lakes and ponds are always worth checking out, they have good sight lines and funnel wildlife. Chill out with your face to the wind, put on a podcast on low, and watch the weather for a bit, especially mid-day. Farm those bunnies for rifle, shotgun, and archery score.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Yeah If they're near you they sort of putter around and follow their path slowly, calling them in, using scent lures, or spooking them will get them to stop pathing for a time(the caller's last for 90 seconds so it's huge especially if you keep calling) but eventually if you leave them alone they will return to their routine. The callers don't have a 100% success rate(that's what the strength score is for) and also if they're out near the edge of the callers range wandering off sometimes it won't "grab" them. Sometimes the AI just gets stuck or forgets what it was doing and wanders off too though

The real pro strat of course being to call them from one spot towards a nice open shot and then moving towards a concealed position that let's you get a nice broadside shot off.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 28, 2020

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Hub Cat posted:

Honestly and this isn't a shot at you or anything, the best recommendation I can give is to be patient and take things slow. You would be surprised how often just walking slowly allows you to stumble into a whole herd of deer just grazing or the animal you're tracking just hanging out. Plus your accuracy goes way up when you have the time to setup the perfect shot without having to rush in a quick shot before the animal flees.

Or you can take a 4x4 and haul rear end on the roads. Animals will just appear out of nowhere, so you can jump off and shoot them in the butt.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

uXs posted:

Or you can take a 4x4 and haul rear end on the roads. Animals will just appear out of nowhere, so you can jump off and shoot them in the butt.

...and then get nothing for it because now you get dinged massively if you don't hit at least one organ. One of the recent patches replaced the integrity score with a harvest check that requires you to use no more than two shots, for the round to be appropriate, for at least one major organ hit, and for the trophy organs (like the skulls on boar or deer) to be intact. That said, flushing animals out is a great way to get them moving to find need zones.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Forums Terrorist posted:

...and then get nothing for it because now you get dinged massively if you don't hit at least one organ. One of the recent patches replaced the integrity score with a harvest check that requires you to use no more than two shots, for the round to be appropriate, for at least one major organ hit, and for the trophy organs (like the skulls on boar or deer) to be intact. That said, flushing animals out is a great way to get them moving to find need zones.

You still get XP for them. And money.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I sprint and flush hunt for rabbits, that's fun when you unlock shotguns. Pew pew!

That 20g dlc shotgun is so versatile, I think that and the Ranger have the most harvests for me.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Suspect Bucket posted:

I sprint and flush hunt for rabbits, that's fun when you unlock shotguns. Pew pew!

That 20g dlc shotgun is so versatile, I think that and the Ranger have the most harvests for me.

The goose and duck hunt dlc are both great because the 20 gauge is an excellent early all-rounder. Especially if you're new and doing flush hunting, shotguns are the way to start because the terrible .243 hollow points you start with will just result in tears when you shoot a deer in the butt and have to wait 10 minutes and half the map for the fucker to bleed out.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I actually started using hollow points (or other low pen, high expansion ammo) after one of the recent reworks and they work pretty well at shorter ranges on broadside shots. However for the most part poly-tips are usually superior, especially over 100m.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
The game really doesn't encourage it but dropping a bison with a peashot to the brain is just so entertaining.

Also while I understand why, running into a boar with an ATV at full speed and being the one taking damage is laaame.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
No that's how it works in real life too

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

If y'all want cheesy strats need zone teleporting probably has the highest efficacy:

1. Find Water
  2. Find drink zones at the water
  3. Setup Tents near but not so near that "jumping in" spooks the animals
  4. Rest to the need zone times(all animals of a given species have the same need zone times)
  5. Fast travel to the tents shooting some but not all of the animals so the zone doesn't despawn
  6. Swap Reserve or exit and reopen you can have 3 tents per reserve
  7. Rinse and repeat till hunting pressure eradicates need zones
If you just want a certain level or weapon it's probably best to just use cheatengine over grinding strats though.:shrug:(There is no point where the game becomes "good" this is the game live your dreams)

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I actually started using hollow points (or other low pen, high expansion ammo) after one of the recent reworks and they work pretty well at shorter ranges on broadside shots. However for the most part poly-tips are usually superior, especially over 100m.
{Not explaining at you pretty sure you get this, just using your post as a jumping off point}

Hollow points end up being better in certain situations particularly if you're not going to make a double lung or heart shot. In practice a marginal shot with a hollow point usually ends up being a faster kill than a marginal shot with a poly bullet. Buttt... a big way a lot of shots go sour is hitting a leg or at a severe angle and the poly bullet wins there because it goes through and hits *something* where the hollow point stops in flesh or bone. (also lets you be lazy and just aim for the front legs and score heart shots) It's hard to hit frontal heart or lung shots at all with most hollow points which is probably where a lot of people go wrong when they are using callers (and butt shots on fleeing animals are just worthless obviously).

So yeah that was a lot of words to say 99% of the time use poly-tip, hard cast or whatever else it's called if you can maximize number of organs hit(because instant drops are rad) but soft points are fine and good if used correctly. It doesn't really matter as much now that quick kill is dead and buried.(the soft points on the .243 are kinda bad though because they have bad penetration and bad damage numbers)

I pretty much exclusively use the hollow points on the air rifle but otherwise I'm usually too lazy to swap ammo before shooting and I already get mixed up enough with the shotgun shells.

In other news, how the scope mounts on the Garand is ugly as sin, and as I thought the recoil drains most of the semi auto advantage so in actual use it's about neck and neck with the Eckers. For me it actually ends up being a worse gun because I'm a compulsive reloader and the en-bloc reload takes longer.
They broke buckshot integrity again(vital organ hits don't "count" for the score) so the 10g lever is fun but that kind of takes the wind out of its sails. It is really entertaining to run around shooting rabbits with it though, probably king hog hunter gun too.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Mar 29, 2020

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Anyway some mild example gimmick hunting. All of them went down within 100m of where they were shot except for the fuckup shot(The funny thing is if quick kill was still a thing only the one that dropped on the spot would be any good)

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Mar 29, 2020

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Hub Cat posted:

Anyway some mild example gimmick hunting. All of them went down within 100m of where they were shot except for the fuckup shot(The funny thing is if quick kill was still a thing only the one that dropped on the spot would be any good)

You still get a quick kill bonus, it's just hidden now. Have to mouse over things.

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 29, 2020

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
So you still have the starting gear and a black bear comes walking around a rock and starts growling. What's the best way to avoid having your face mauled off?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Good aim :cool:

Honestly bears mostly avoid you if you don't shoot them, just like walk or run away. If they do attack it will be one nonfatal swipe and then run off.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 29, 2020

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

I managed to kill one cleanly when it reared up on two legs, giving me a nice shot at its chest.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Hub Cat posted:

If y'all want cheesy strats need zone teleporting probably has the highest efficacy:

1. Find Water
  2. Find drink zones at the water
  3. Setup Tents near but not so near that "jumping in" spooks the animals
  4. Rest to the need zone times(all animals of a given species have the same need zone times)
  5. Fast travel to the tents shooting some but not all of the animals so the zone doesn't despawn
  6. Swap Reserve or exit and reopen you can have 3 tents per reserve
  7. Rinse and repeat till hunting pressure eradicates need zones
If you just want a certain level or weapon it's probably best to just use cheatengine over grinding strats though.:shrug:(There is no point where the game becomes "good" this is the game live your dreams)

{Not explaining at you pretty sure you get this, just using your post as a jumping off point}

Hollow points end up being better in certain situations particularly if you're not going to make a double lung or heart shot. In practice a marginal shot with a hollow point usually ends up being a faster kill than a marginal shot with a poly bullet. Buttt... a big way a lot of shots go sour is hitting a leg or at a severe angle and the poly bullet wins there because it goes through and hits *something* where the hollow point stops in flesh or bone. (also lets you be lazy and just aim for the front legs and score heart shots) It's hard to hit frontal heart or lung shots at all with most hollow points which is probably where a lot of people go wrong when they are using callers (and butt shots on fleeing animals are just worthless obviously).

So yeah that was a lot of words to say 99% of the time use poly-tip, hard cast or whatever else it's called if you can maximize number of organs hit(because instant drops are rad) but soft points are fine and good if used correctly. It doesn't really matter as much now that quick kill is dead and buried.(the soft points on the .243 are kinda bad though because they have bad penetration and bad damage numbers)

I pretty much exclusively use the hollow points on the air rifle but otherwise I'm usually too lazy to swap ammo before shooting and I already get mixed up enough with the shotgun shells.

In other news, how the scope mounts on the Garand is ugly as sin, and as I thought the recoil drains most of the semi auto advantage so in actual use it's about neck and neck with the Eckers. For me it actually ends up being a worse gun because I'm a compulsive reloader and the en-bloc reload takes longer.
They broke buckshot integrity again(vital organ hits don't "count" for the score) so the 10g lever is fun but that kind of takes the wind out of its sails. It is really entertaining to run around shooting rabbits with it though, probably king hog hunter gun too.

This is great advice and I absolutely agree. I have to mention that you can have far more than 3 tents per map though.

Be patient. There's animals all around you, but you don't see them all the time. They, however, hear and smell you. First decide what you'll hunt right now. Equip the right guns and ammo (hint: it's always polymer tipped/hardcast). Don't go hunting moose with a .243, it'll be frustrating for both of you. Use the guides on Steam to see where certain species are and when they drink. Sneak up with the wind in your face and shoot the animals broadside. Many animals can also often be easily shot in the heart from the front, you just have to aim lower than you think.

A good starting route is the river going north to south on the western part of Layton from 09-1530. This covers both moose and whitetail drinking time and there are plenty in that area. If you're just starting out, go to the open fields in Hirsfelden from 0500-0930 and shoot roe deer and fallow deer. They are small enough for the starting rifle.

In the beginning, I'd advice to shoot everything you see (but with good shot placement), but personally, I stopped caring about anything but the big males a long time ago. I'd go all in on at least weapon pack 1, 2 and 3. They are cheap and also on sale now.

Trillhouse posted:

Thank you for this! I'm running it now and it works like a charm. It makes the maps seem much more alive and realistic!

E: Editing

Freudian slippers fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Mar 30, 2020

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I should probably redo the DLC thing in the op after the revamp, huh? Really smart of me to consider it the day after the sale ends though.
Edit: and done should probably really put together a thing on reserves one of these days but effort.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 30, 2020

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Tried to back up a staircase in the ATV and it flipped over somehow and ejected my avatar at a few hundred km/h, causing it to go splat 2km away.

loving stupid buggy rear end game.

I was taking pride in that 0 deaths over 20+ hours and some stupid poo poo code decided "nope, gently caress you for existing and trying fun stuff".

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Ambaire posted:

Tried to back up a staircase in the ATV and it flipped over somehow and ejected my avatar at a few hundred km/h, causing it to go splat 2km away.

loving stupid buggy rear end game.

I was taking pride in that 0 deaths over 20+ hours and some stupid poo poo code decided "nope, gently caress you for existing and trying fun stuff".
They fact that you hunted for years without incident and then died in a an ATV accident just makes this an even more accurate simulation of real life lmao

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah idk getting catapulted by your ATV 2 km and dying sounds pretty fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

They fact that you hunted for years without incident and then died in a an ATV accident just makes this an even more accurate simulation of real life lmao

:lmao:

But yeah ATVs are the devil in this game.
My first death in this game was within a couple of hours of buying it I tried climbing a hill fell, rolled and slid off into the sky at a million miles an hour.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 1, 2020