Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zugzwang posted:

Is this the consensus explanation on why the WHO has been so poo poo about this? Much of what they've been saying fails on first principles. Even if cloth masks are lovely and only work 20% as well as surgical/N95 masks (they work a lot better than 20% btw), that's not nothing when dealing with something this infectious.

To work well cloth masks need to be cleaned regularly. Like if you stop for food and stuff the mask in your pocket while you eat and then put it back on and then get home and put it in your pocket and then put it back on when you leave to go by milk etc., any contamination on the mask is gonna get all over your hands and your face. So probably not great at protecting you. It will still help protect others from you though.

If you wanted to get that 20% protection you'd need to be a tiny bit clever and careful about it. Like have a ziplock bag of clean masks and a seperate ziplock of unsafe masks. Any time you take a mask off for any reason it goes in the hot bag, never take a mask off and put that same mask back on.

You also need to remove masks properly so you don't contaminate your hands and face.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrvFrH_npQI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist

LionArcher posted:

No. And I’m a drat good uncle. And I’m with my current partner because she’s drat certain she doesn’t want kids. (And if she has them it could kill her so she really won’t!)

I love the idea of having kids on one hand. But I know the cost of having one well. And, the ethics of having one in this day and age seems questionable to me at best. Especially if I continue to eat meat, which I plan to. (Ethically sourced of course).

We need not to de-rail. I was part of it over love (as we all were). Backseat mod.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Facebook Aunt posted:

To work well cloth masks need to be cleaned regularly. Like if you stop for food and stuff the mask in your pocket while you eat and then put it back on and then get home and put it in your pocket and then put it back on when you leave to go by milk etc., any contamination on the mask is gonna get all over your hands and your face. So probably not great at protecting you. It will still help protect others from you though.

If you wanted to get that 20% protection you'd need to be a tiny bit clever and careful about it. Like have a ziplock bag of clean masks and a seperate ziplock of unsafe masks. Any time you take a mask off for any reason it goes in the hot bag, never take a mask off and put that same mask back on.

You also need to remove masks properly so you don't contaminate your hands and face.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrvFrH_npQI
These are fair points. If you only go out 2 or 3x week for essentials (I'm not going out that much), you can keep multiple masks on hand. Wear one per trip, take it off when you get home, don't wear it again for a while (days? a week? certainly not right away).

The "protect from you" thing is really the biggest point, given the asymptomatic transmission of this thing. I'd love to be able to say "I feel fine, I don't need a mask," but that's simply wrong.

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist

Zugzwang posted:

These are fair points. If you only go out 2 or 3x week for essentials (I'm not going out that much), you can keep multiple masks on hand. Wear one per trip, take it off when you get home, don't wear it again for a while (days? a week? certainly not right away).

The "protect from you" thing is really the biggest point, given the asymptomatic transmission of this thing. I'd love to be able to say "I feel fine, I don't need a mask," but that's simply wrong.

Holding your breath has worked in the hospital for me. I am a computer smasher and I don't use proper PPE sometimes to fix something simple. RIP ME. You will never hear from me again because I kept the SA password.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
over 10k dead in Italy

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist
What is the population there. I genuinely don't know.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Funk In Shoe posted:

I really do not feel miserable and exhausted. My life is richer and better with these kids than I would've ever thought possible. I am, however, extremely of the opinion that having small kids is hell

I'm baby crazy (wife too) and work in teaching so man, I love kid chaos. I want very badly my own.

But...

I want to skip to age 5. I do not want nor look forward to anything before that. My wife is insanely experienced with that area thankfully.

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist

Grape posted:

I'm baby crazy (wife too) and work in teaching so man, I love kid chaos. I want very badly my own.

But...

I want to skip to age 5. I do not want nor look forward to anything before that. My wife is insanely experienced with that area thankfully.

A girl at 12 ain't nothin to be hosed wit.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

drunkb posted:

60.5M or so

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
The wife & I were planning our first recombinant human, but now I'm thinking that anything that would conceivably require us to have anything to do with hospitals is a Bad Idea for a while.

Brother-in-law and his wife are still trying though. :rip:

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 28, 2020

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Please don't cough on your cat.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/27/first-known-cat-infected-with-coronavirus-reported-in-belgium/

quote:

“The cat had diarrhea, kept vomiting and had breathing difficulties. The researchers found the virus in the cat’s feces,” professor Steven Van Gucht said Friday, according to the outlet.
:(

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

drunkb posted:

About 60.3 million.

USA has just over 5 times that and also trump is in charge.

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist
My 21 year old lives in an suburb of Milwaukee. I spoke with her this morning and they are holed up.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

sweet thursday posted:

My wife has used my computer to work from home for one (1) week and she's managed to gently caress up one (1) computer.

It isn't her fault though. I've just owned it for 2 years without incident.

Like files gone or corrupted hosed up or "well the IRS sent an email and I had to click the link or they'd arrest me" hosed up.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Zugzwang posted:

Is this the consensus explanation on why the WHO has been so poo poo about this? Much of what they've been saying fails on first principles. Even if cloth masks are lovely and only work 20% as well as surgical/N95 masks (they work a lot better than 20% btw), that's not nothing when dealing with something this infectious.

I can't think of any other reason. Taiwan is completely cut out by the WHO, is not even allowed to attend in observer capacity, and disease cases in Taiwan are officially listed under 'China'. The WHO has completely caved to the PRC.

Didn't they have a press conference a while back where they spent the first couple of minutes praising China's rapid 5G rollout as very helpful in fighting the epidemic?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

drunkb posted:

A girl at 12 ain't nothin to be hosed wit.

I just got done teaching like half a year of 7th grade for a temp gig, and it's like my favorite grade I've taught so far by a landslide. Jesus gently caress I miss those kids.

Don't get me wrong! Middle schoolers are crazy gremlins of all sorts of various types. But poo poo man. I loved working with them so much.
In education what I've found is just about all teachers will treat middle school like Mordor, the dark land they dare not tread...
EXCEPT for a certain subset who the rest regard as crazy, who enjoy the heck out of it. I am in that subset.

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist

Grape posted:

I just got done teaching like half a year of 7th grade for a temp gig, and it's like my favorite grade I've taught so far by a landslide. Jesus gently caress I miss those kids.

Don't get me wrong! Middle schoolers are crazy gremlins of all sorts of various types. But poo poo man. I loved working with them so much.
In education what I've found is just about all teachers will treat middle school like Mordor, the dark land they dare not tread...
EXCEPT for a certain subset who the rest regard as crazy, who enjoy the heck out of it. I am in that subset.

I moved to a new area and someone stole my daughter's shoes. I asked if she knew who did it. She said yes. I told her to hit that bitch in the face with everything you have and I will leave work. She did and I did. She never hit a person the face before.

Edit because I high-5'd in the principles office. She thought she was in trouble in tears until I sat down and high fived her. That was a game changer for her.

drunkb fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 28, 2020

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Wtf does that have to do with the rona?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Burt Sexual posted:

Its a lesson. If someone has something that belongs to you (like tp) then use violence to get it

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist
We are finished. Haven't you heard? They nuked us all to make sure.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Burt Sexual posted:

Stress

Badchay
Mar 22, 2015

Just passed 30k deaths.

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1243969253239291904

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Colonel Cancer posted:

But clearly masks do not help unless you are a trained healthcare professional! They just make you relax and start making bad decisions while thinking that you are immune to their outcomes, just like seatbelts and bicycle helmets!

Your seatbelt and bicycle helmet and protects me, my seatbelt and bicycle helmet and protects you.

E: Don't share PPE.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Zugzwang posted:

Is this the consensus explanation on why the WHO has been so poo poo about this?

They were trying to cover up the fact this was already out of control with human-to-human transmission at the start of the year. The WHO has been a joke for years.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Burt Sexual posted:

Yeah, for some reason a bunch of people got confused and thought we were ranting about parenting in general, when we are ranting about parenting during Covid isolation.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
To be fair a lot of adults are finding it hard to be quarantined with other adults without a break.

One of my normally sunny and hyper-unflappable coworkers sounds frazzled on the phone nowadays after being stuck in a small apartment 24/7 her kids, who are like 4 and 7 or some poo poo.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Drunk Nerds posted:

Yeah, for some reason a bunch of people got confused and thought we were ranting about parenting in general, when we are ranting about parenting during Covid isolation.

I see

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The mortality rate for patients put in intensive care after being infected with Covid-19 is running at close to 50%, a report has revealed.

"The Guardian" posted:

Data from the Intensive Care National Audit and Research Centre (ICNARC) showed that of 165 patients treated in critical care in England, Wales and Northern Ireland since the end of February, 79 died, while 86 survived and were discharged. The figures were taken from an audit of 775 people who have been or are in critical care with the disease, across 285 intensive care units. The remaining 610 patients continue to receive intensive care.

The high death rate raises questions about how effective critical care will be in saving the lives of people struck down by the disease...

...“The truth is that quite a lot of these individuals [in critical care] are going to die anyway and there is a fear that we are just ventilating them for the sake of it, for the sake of doing something for them, even though it won’t be effective. That’s a worry,” one doctor said.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/mar/28/coronavirus-intensive-care-uk-patients-50-per-cent-survival-rate

The article also mentions that being male and being fat are significant factors in ending up in intensive care with this virus, so something something goons, I guess!

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/joshrogin/status/1243662199022813184?s=19

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Pistol_Pete posted:

The article also mentions that being male and being fat are significant factors in ending up in intensive care with this virus
gently caress

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

racist

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Don't worry, it's all in our heads.

edit: wait is this guy racist?

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Bleusilences posted:

I was joking because people questioning China, on anything to do with this including magically destroying the virus at 80,000 cases, are being called Sinophobic and Racist.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

He is now!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bleusilences posted:

No, not looking at his twitter. Standard reporter

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/_pascuzzo/status/1243691475508039686

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Pistol_Pete posted:

The mortality rate for patients put in intensive care after being infected with Covid-19 is running at close to 50%, a report has revealed.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/mar/28/coronavirus-intensive-care-uk-patients-50-per-cent-survival-rate

The article also mentions that being male and being fat are significant factors in ending up in intensive care with this virus, so something something goons, I guess!

There is a very obvious flaw in the methodology of those stats.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

coronavirus posted:

There is a very obvious flaw in the methodology of those stats.

And what would that be?

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

A number of people in Denmark have started talking about it being a problem that our respirator/intensive care capacity is only at 10% of the (government-being-optimistic) maximum capacity. Since our health officials are stating that almost everyone eventually needs to be infected, there are voices demanding loosening of the shutdown measures, so that more public can get infected! It's insane.

Media is full of optimistic experts saying that this epidemic really isn't that bad, that our superior Danish behavior has create a manageable spread of the disease, and that for the sake of the economy we need to open up society soon. It's a disgusting mix of "It's just the flu bro", borderline-supremacist exceptionalism, economic idiocy and reckless optimism. It's legitimately being presented by politicians as an issue of deciding what the acceptable cost is to give a handful of elderly a few years more.

There's a completely rejection of trying to isolate outbreak and stop the spread. Perhaps that's the realistic outlook - I can accept that, even if I think it's too early to assume such things. What I cannot accept is the refusal to slow down the spread by all means necessary, until we have at least tried getting this under control, improved our ability to treat infection and just generally know more about what we're dealing with.

These idiots think that if we simply re-opened society, nothing much would happen other than a few thousands old people with pre-existing conditions dying early. I'm worried they'll loosen the grip prematurely and act all surprised if everything goes to hell - probably claiming that it was inevitable, and not at all something we could influence.

Ugh. Stupid populists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/28/politics/trump-new-york-new-jersey-quarantine-coronavirus/index.html

UBISoft is releasing their new Division DLC very soon.

quote:

(CNN)President Donald Trump said Saturday that he's considering a short-term quarantine of "hot spots" in parts of the tri-state area — New York, New Jersey and Connecticut — where cases of coronavirus continue to rise.
"We're thinking about certain things. Some people would like to see New York quarantined because it's a hotspot. ... We might not have to do it, but there's a possibility that sometime today we'll do a quarantine, short-term, two weeks on New York. Probably New Jersey, certain parts of Connecticut," he told reporters as he departed the White House.
"I'd rather not do it, but we may need it," said the President, who was on his way to Norfolk Naval Station for the sendoff of a Navy hospital ship to New York.
He later tweeted, "I am giving consideration to a QUARANTINE of developing 'hot spots', New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut. A decision will be made, one way or another, shortly."

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said that he spoke with Trump on Saturday morning, but that the two had not discussed a quarantine.
"I don't even know what that means. I don't know how that could be legally enforceable," the Democratic governor said during in a news conference in Albany. "And from a medical point view, I don't know what you would be accomplishing."
"But I can tell you, I don't even like the sound of it," he added.
Trump, however, said that possible quarantine would be "enforceable" and "restrict travel" from those parts of the tri-state area. He also said any quarantine wouldn't affect truckers from outside the New York area.
"Restrict travel, because they're having problems down in Florida, a lot of New Yorkers going down. We don't want that," he said.
Florida's governor had mandated a 14-day self-quarantine or isolation period for travelers coming to Florida from airports in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut.
As he departed from Joint Base Andrews, Trump said he would speak to Cuomo later about the possible quarantine.
He said that it would be "for a short period of time, if we do it at all" and that he would not close the New York City subway.
Earlier this month, Cuomo had deployed the National Guard and created a 1-mile "containment zone" in New Rochelle, a suburb of New York City, in an attempt to stop a growing cluster of coronavirus cases.
The National Guard helped coordinate delivering meals to those in quarantine and a drive-thru coronavirus testing site was opened.
Cuomo said that the number of new coronavirus cases slowed over the period the restrictions were imposed.
As of Saturday morning, New York had at least 728 reported deaths due to coronavirus and at least 52,318 reported cases — making it the state with the most reported cases in the US, according to CNN Health's tally.
Trump says he may invoke Defense Production Act this week
Trump also said Saturday that he plans to invoke the Defense Production Act "maybe once or twice" this coming week.
The President did not identify which companies or supplies he would use the order to produce, but he did suggest he was facing push back from companies he called "little problem children."
"We're look(ing) at two companies that have not lived up to what they said. I would say they're in the 1% group, okay? And all of a sudden they heard we're going to use it and they're rolling out the red carpet," he said.

The President invoked the DPA on Friday, requiring General Motors to begin making ventilators.
This story has been updated to include additional reporting.

CNN's Jason Hoffman, Nicky Robertson and Sheena Jones contributed to this report.