Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Yeah that's fair! Just... let's not make out that it's more than weird foibles without evidence, you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/AbiWilks/status/1243976522270216192?s=20

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

like supermarket workers, and well, everyone else, our entire economy is built around not paying the people who keep society running and keeping their lives as precarious as possible

i think that will be the very last thing the gov tries to fix, if they ever do.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

So, will the babies born this year be called Generation C or Boomers2: Revenge of the Virus?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/coronavirus-condom-shortage-factories-closed-a9431386.html
Between condom shortages, people not being able to get to the chemist, people stuck inside, and the government stripping out the suggestions of their own medical advisers about not needing two doctors' signatures for a medical termination at a time when you aren't going to be able to get two doctors' anything, we might as well cut straight to bare bones and use The Unwanted :(

thespaceinvader posted:

Also it's probably still going to be a very bad time to be in hospital generally given that we're not goign to be even close to out of the woods on COVID and we will have just brexited and lost big chunks of the EU staff.
Don't forget Covid Wave 2 - Winter Boogaloo

OwlFancier posted:

I mean the existence of the adjective implies the existence of the verb, I'm not sure you can ban the verb shaped hole that exists in the language otherwise.
Noun my verb hole (use condom pls)

goddamnedtwisto posted:

*Sadly deletes "Unconventional traction methods in early London railways.txt"
nooooooooooooo

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol of course she was responsible for the Ed Stone

https://twitter.com/ayeshahazarika/status/1243911785826172928

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Paying your workers more doesn't seem to be on the cards for these utterly dumb as gently caress shitheads, does it?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

What's noticeable in that article is that these problems were here before the pandemic and two of the three causes are separate to brexit. The government clearly has no interest in food security beyond a shrug and assuming that we can just get it from elsewhere and supply chain problems won't happen.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Pretty sure the government is going to put the problems of mass unemployment and lack of farmworkers together.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Nationalise the farms, bring in the army/volunteers to bring in the harvest, pay ubi. Right next problem?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1243980086598152193?s=20

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Let's fly seasonal workers from other countries in on a private jet so they can pick fruit and veg instead of paying a decent wage to all the newly unemployed in this country.

Or provide a UBI that would allow essential seasonal workers to survive here between harvest periods.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

*Sadly deletes "Unconventional traction methods in early London railways.txt"

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

whats the loving point in all this lol?

we're weeks behind and reluctantly stringing together half measures and voluntary poo poo. we still don't even have PPE for NHS staff which is frankly not even a step, its a basic assumption.

if i was the gov i'd be going "if we can keep deaths under a million that would be great" not some wildly optimistic estimate that assumes we've done the things we've just said we've done and not acted on

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

who called "government makes utterly worthless unsubstantiated argument about deaths not really counting" a week ago?

I'm assuming nobody is surprised the media are quite happy to parrot this absolute horseshit, so no bonus points for that

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

wait i just figured out the answer to my own post.
once we pass 20k that number will be memory-holed just like the herd immunity poo poo has been

they don't actually have to say anything that holds up in the future cause that context will never be mentioned.
so its actually much smarter to just lie to reduce panic and pointing fingers, fully secure in the knowledge you will never face consequences for it

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Spangly A posted:

who called "government makes utterly worthless unsubstantiated argument about deaths not really counting" a week ago?

I'm assuming nobody is surprised the media are quite happy to parrot this absolute horseshit, so no bonus points for that

https://twitter.com/PTSDGuts2/status/1243450936929943552

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Lol now I do actually want to write that, except my main source book is locked up at my office. Ah gently caress it, I'll cobble it together from half-remembered stuff and wiki like I normally do.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I expect you'll all be out clapping - ahem:

https://twitter.com/McCartneyMaxwel/status/1243809333135228928?s=20

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

I'm not behind him until I can get a dull, rusty blade.

I know its cynical, but I dont believe he has Covid 19. It all part of his "All in this together, pip pip" Churchillian hogwash. Also, it keeps him out of the way of doing something catastrophic in front of a camera.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't know if sarcastic clapping carries very well if lots of people do it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Trickjaw posted:

I know its cynical, but I dont believe he has Covid 19. It all part of his "All in this together, pip pip" Churchillian hogwash. Also, it keeps him out of the way of doing something catastrophic in front of a camera.

He'll look progressively worse in all his prerecorded messages because he has nothing else to do but drink all day now.

Don't be like Boris, kids.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Trickjaw posted:

its possible but it also seems insanely likely that he does have covid 19 lol

id be surprised if basically the whole cabinet and most of parliament hasnt been exposed

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Jose posted:

lol of course she was responsible for the Ed Stone

https://twitter.com/ayeshahazarika/status/1243911785826172928

Carrots, sweetcorn, mushrooms and cabbage, in a thin tomato-ish sauce, with under-browned turkey mince, all crammed into a too-small pan.

She should be arrested and charged with crimes against cooking.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Trickjaw posted:

It has crossed my mind, but on the other hand the speed at which Dominic Cummings was seen scarpering yesterday morning, not sure! I'd really like to know if HE has it!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm just worried about Corbyn more than anything, or maybe Skinner, both seem like the types who would give themselves it trying to do their jobs.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

OwlFancier posted:

I'm just worried about Corbyn more than anything, or maybe Skinner, both seem like the types who would give themselves it trying to do their jobs.

I think Skinner lost his seat in December, so he wouldn't have caught it at Westminster.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

True I guess, I figure he's probably still doing politics things even if not at westminster.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pistol_Pete posted:

Carrots, sweetcorn, mushrooms and cabbage, in a thin tomato-ish sauce, with under-browned turkey mince, all crammed into a too-small pan.

She should be arrested and charged with crimes against cooking.
otoh it's a league better than that loving sterile rear end chicken I saw last week. I'd eat it.

biglads posted:

I think Skinner lost his seat in December, so he wouldn't have caught it at Westminster.
King Ralph situation but with Parliament and Dennis Skinner.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

moostaffa fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 28, 2020

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

A sarcastic clap, yes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sterilize your rear end chicken before use to ensure you do not transmit covid.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

I think we need to make sure whoever does this stuff unionises. I'm concerned they'll get image-conscious Libs to volunteer for free.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Communist Thoughts posted:

whats the loving point in all this lol?

we're weeks behind and reluctantly stringing together half measures and voluntary poo poo. we still don't even have PPE for NHS staff which is frankly not even a step, its a basic assumption.

if i was the gov i'd be going "if we can keep deaths under a million that would be great" not some wildly optimistic estimate that assumes we've done the things we've just said we've done and not acted on
It reminds me of Mirowski's description of how neoliberalism as a system deals with problems, iirc it was the 3-step process
1) deny the problem is happening
2) obfuscate, up to and including providing contradictory information until nothing is certain
3) wait for the market to provide a solution of some kind, probably technological (or for the problem to go away)

Seems to apply quite nicely here.

StarkingBarfish posted:

Today's breakfast birds are the bullfinch couple. They're messy eaters:

StarkingBarfish posted:

Today's breakfast birbs are a fat goldfinch:

thank you for birbs :3:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/roobsleiser/status/1243896381003247616?s=20

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

CGI Stardust posted:

It reminds me of Mirowski's description of how neoliberalism as a system deals with problems, iirc it was the 3-step process
1) deny the problem is happening
2) obfuscate, up to and including providing contradictory information until nothing is certain
3) wait for the market to provide a solution of some kind, probably technological (or for the problem to go away)

Seems to apply quite nicely here.

thank you for birbs :3:

Yeah it's very apparent the gov basically exists to do PR and look in charge while all the real things happen independently. Occasionally putting a finger or two on the scale to stop the peasants from achieving agency.
Whats more they genuinely want it to remain that way.

I'm not sure what's worse, the rude awakening they're in for or the possibility they can just spin their way through this like normal.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

quote:

Self-employed forced on to breadline with no government help

Larisa Bucur has been on hold for more than three hours trying to register for state benefit through the universal credit helpline. A London-based interpreter, she usually earns around £1,200 to £1,800 a month, translating between Romanian and English at mental health and social services appointments.

Now, thanks to coronavirus, all this face-to-face work has been cancelled. Her partner, a self-employed construction worker, has also lost his income as building sites close.

“In two weeks time, we will have no money left,” Ms Bucur said — speaking by text message, so as not to lose her place in the universal credit queue. Her partner may — eventually — be able to recover 80 per cent of his lost income from the government’s new support scheme for the self-employed. But because she turned freelance only recently, she will not receive anything.

Ms Bucur is one of almost half a million people who applied for universal credit in the past week as the UK begins to feel the full force of the economic shock resulting from the coronavirus lockdown.

Such a steep week-on-week rise in benefits claims is all but unprecedented, leading economists to warn that unemployment may already be rising far more swiftly than during the 2008 financial crisis — despite the government offering help to employers who furlough staff rather than fire them.

Some large retail chains — including Pret A Manger and Timpson — have sent staff home on full pay, on the strength of the government’s promise to pay 80 per cent of wages for those affected, backdated to the start of March.

Many smaller businesses facing a near total loss of revenue are worried about taking on debt to cover wage payments until government help arrives.

“I don’t like to get a loan. It goes against the grain. But I will if I have to do it to pay the lads,” said Stacey Arron, who runs two removal and storage companies in West Yorkshire. He has largely shut down his business on safety grounds, despite intense pressure from clients to go ahead with house moves, and will need to find £5-6,000 a week to cover wages and insurance.

Some much larger businesses are taking a more startling approach. A mechanical engineer who worked for Wren Kitchens, a manufacturer and retailer based near Hull, told the Financial Times he was one of many staff informed since the lockdown that they had failed their probation and would be let go with a week’s wages in lieu of notice. His redundancy letter, which did not explain his alleged poor performance, did not even spell his name correctly.

Tim Martin, chairman of the pub chain JD Wetherspoon, earned notoriety after sending staff a rambling video message saying they would not be paid until the government scheme was in place (the company has now been forced to backtrack) and advising them to look for work at supermarket Tesco.

With job losses mounting, many people are facing immediate financial hardship.

The charity Citizens Advice has seen a surge in traffic to its website in the last month, with people searching first for advice on flight cancellations, a week later on sick pay, and then on redundancy and benefits. But on Thursday, the most viewed page was: “What to do if you can’t pay your bills because of coronavirus”.

Among those approaching Citizens Advice for help was David, a decorator in Derbyshire who had been unable to work since December owing to back problems. He was already worried about mortgage and credit card payments when the Covid-19 outbreak hit: since then, his wife lost her work as a childminder and his son has come home from college, increasing food bills.

He had borrowed money from one of his sons, used all his savings and was waiting for an overdue response on a benefits claim. In arrears on his mortgage, he is expecting to incur extra charges. “We have enough in our account for this month,” he said. “Next month where are we going to get the money for that? I haven’t a clue.”

The Covid-19 shock has come at a time when many households are ill-equipped to cope with a sudden loss of income.

Data released this week showed that typical household incomes had been stagnant for three years up to 2018-19, with the income of the poorest 10 per cent no higher than in 2013-14. Research last year by the Resolution Foundation, a think-tank, found that more than half of low and middle income households had no savings at all to fall back on in a downturn.

Michele Dillon, a Glasgow-based photographer, is one of many people close to tears at their situation. She usually has next to no income in the early months of the year, but her business — largely producing official stills for Bollywood dramas filmed in Scotland — picks up in spring. Now she is at home applying for a mortgage holiday and wondering whether she can afford to take her dog to the vet.

The government’s support for the self-employed, designed to replace 80 per cent of average earnings over the past three years, is of no help to her, she says, because “2020 would have been the first year my company would have made a profit”.

Lisa Graydon, a dance teacher in Huddersfield, is in the same position. The numbers attending her classes started dropping at the end of January, as people became wary about holding hands with strangers. In early March, she had to cancel a national competition she had organised at a day’s notice, losing £1,500 spent on hotel rooms, food, hall hire and trophies.

“I’ve got no income coming in whatsoever. I’ve had to refund everybody that booked on the event,” she said. But because her business, CurlyWurlyEvents, was only just starting to turn a profit, she said she would not benefit from the government’s support for the self-employed. “Eighty per cent of nothing is still nothing.”

that’s not the Guardian or other leftie source. it’s the FT
the government have hosed this totally. got to be a u-turn early next week

link: https://www.ft.com/content/5276044c-61fa-49fe-9941-b692b1dfb625

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

ok, this joke is getting funny again

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Jel Shaker posted:

ok, this joke is getting funny again

Oooh. How will the Buckfast supply chain to the Central Belt be affected by all this? Asking for several friends.

sinky posted:

Pretty sure the government is going to put the problems of mass unemployment and lack of farmworkers together.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Nationalise the farms, bring in the army/volunteers to bring in the harvest, pay ubi. Right next problem?

Nope, it'll be gulags, and not the good sort - as a second monkey-paw hits the country.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/goodbeanalt/status/1243678548461789185?s=20
https://twitter.com/Pornhub/status/1243790232924946433?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

oh good

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1243998677863145473