Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

why would you want this game to punch you in the balls more you freaks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.

ShowTime posted:

The change of just holding stuff you bring in is fine with me and I say this is a habitual secure container pistol runner. It got me my millions. I proposed a change of having a timer on items before they can go into your container. That way there is still a chance that you can kill the person and get the good loot. Right now you just find the item and stop everything to secure it. If you had a 1min-15min wait (dependent on value of item) before it could go in the container, that would prevent hatchlings from snapping up all the good stuff in the first few minutes. It also adds that now you need to bring a little more gear with you, because eventually you'll run out of pockets just waiting on some timers.

I don't really care too much. Secure containers are such a small aspect of the game that i'm fine with either way. I'd rather see the day where running with a pistol and nothing else isn't needed because you have enough passive income to not need to worry about money. The scav system already works well enough for making money. Yea, I have runs where I make nothing and I have runs where I make half a mil in minutes. But I can easily go into a raid and make at least 100k-150k, with almost no effort. That's enough to pay for a budget build.

I do want to see the hideout changed even more though. More passive income, more crafting, etc.

The real issue is that the majority of quests are just a money drain/noob tax and they cause noobs to get poor trying to complete them.

Even worse, is that you need to complete them to get to all to the things that give you ridiculous passive income.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Famethrowa posted:

why would you want this game to punch you in the balls more you freaks

because this thread is awful and full of armchair game devs

BANNED USER
May 18, 2010

I have this real nasty habit of punching faces

RattiRatto posted:

Just got the game as a way of passing this along stuck at home time. A few questions:
I keep dying to scavs (I believe - I am not even sure to tell since I get basically head shorted all the time) in customs starting area. Like I am having real hard trouble getting out as the pmc, while it's a hassle free situation whenever I spawn there as a player scav. Am I missing something? (Like you always need this kind of armor - as the only one I can get from one of the dealer is lvl2).
I think I have played around 20 raids and I still haven't managed to get any closer to completing the quests.

Please tell me I am not the only one having real hard time with what is supposed to be the "easy" stuff - ai scavs

Welcome to the Star Citizen of Jank Russian FPS multiplayer shooters, where the lead dev has a "vision" but will never see it come to life. Also, Nikita doesn't even play his own game, not until his "vision" is realized.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I really want to finish my quests but gently caress me is the "if you don't survive, you lose it" design behind almost all of them sucks poo poo. I figured I was safe because the quest didn't say anything about making it out alive, just to find the item, but I guess that doesn't matter. I'm torn between wanting all the quests done for access to everything and the Kappa container vs dealing with the frustration.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Cup Runneth Over posted:

because this thread is awful and full of armchair game devs

TBH even most armchair game devs who have never built anything and seen how players respond understand game design better than Nikita. It's more that vocal Tarkov fans, largely being Nikita fans, are generally fans of aggressively bad game design and pretending that players will do what the designer wants rather than what the players want.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

K8.0 posted:

TBH even most armchair game devs who have never built anything and seen how players respond understand game design better than Nikita.

seems insanely unlikely given that tarkov is really fun lol

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
What I want is a way for the hideout to generate skills instead of passive income.
And I want Jeager dead.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

ShowTime posted:

I really want to finish my quests but gently caress me is the "if you don't survive, you lose it" design behind almost all of them sucks poo poo. I figured I was safe because the quest didn't say anything about making it out alive, just to find the item, but I guess that doesn't matter. I'm torn between wanting all the quests done for access to everything and the Kappa container vs dealing with the frustration.

I like the ones that want you to do a thing, then survive and exit, but you don't have to do them together. So I can plant a thing or mark a thing and die, come back another time and run straight through, THEN I'm done. poo poo doesn't make any sense.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Do quests with a group, have the quest as a general goal but don’t force it if it’s not working out. Especially for customs quests.

But don’t rush dorms for a quest and then be surprised it’s an absolute shitshow. Dorms is the Pochinki of EFT. It owns and is fun as hell, but it’s almost always a mess.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Kikas posted:

What I want is a way for the hideout to generate skills instead of passive income.
And I want Jeager dead.

Jaeger is my sugar daddy, don't diss him.

And you should be able to build a gym in the hideout.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Some "fights" in this game can be complete bullshit and are super frustrating. They would definitely be my main gripe with the game. For some people it takes half a second to pop around a door, ADS and 1 shot me in the face. I don't know how people can do that. I don't know if it's just a lovely ping, so they had longer than it looked to do that, but gently caress is it frustrating to die when you have the advantage in surprise and knowing their location. I'll see them first, know exactly where they are gonna appear if they do and yet, still die to someone that doesn't know where I am (but can hear me) and doesn't know where to aim , whereas I do. They have an entire room to find me, where I have 1 spot I need to aim, yet they can fire their first shot before I can.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

ShowTime posted:

gently caress is it frustrating to die when you have the advantage in surprise and knowing their location. I'll see them first, know exactly where they are gonna appear if they do and yet, still die to someone that doesn't know where I am (but can hear me) and doesn't know where to aim , whereas I do. They have an entire room to find me, where I have 1 spot I need to aim, yet they can fire their first shot before I can.

If someone is good at this game and can hear you, they know where you are.

A lot of people hold the exact same spots in chokes and rooms, youd be surprised. And higher ergo means quicker ADS, especially with a canted sight.

You seem to have just gotten outplayed, tbh.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

TheTofuShop posted:

If someone is good at this game and can hear you, they know where you are.

A lot of people hold the exact same spots in chokes and rooms, youd be surprised. And higher ergo means quicker ADS, especially with a canted sight.

You seem to have just gotten outplayed, tbh.

I get sound and I wish I could describe the situation a bit better. It wasn't a strategic element that got me killed, it was this guy being able to enter the doorway, ADS and hit me in the face in a split second. I can also tell where people are based on sound. It's not hard to hear something in your left ear and know it's in that direction.

I can't even think of a gun that can go from your hip to your shoulder that quickly, then for them to get my face in the their sights immediately. You can kind of get that done just by having the gun leveled at the right level, as if you were going to no scope someone, but gently caress, this was perfect. I get outplayed all the time, tbh. This was more of a luck thing now that I've thought about it more. I even messaged the person to ask them, but they haven't accepted yet and at this point, too much time has passed for them to remember me.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

causticBeet posted:

But don’t rush dorms for a quest and then be surprised it’s an absolute shitshow. Dorms is the Pochinki of EFT. It owns and is fun as hell, but it’s almost always a mess.

I've actually had good luck rushing dorms for quests. Especially the room 203/303 ones. I can get up that staircase, go in and unlock the door, get my quest item and out of the building in like 10 seconds. Getting away and out to extract is always trickier.

I much prefer big firefight deaths over getting sniped from a silenced bush 200 yards away anyway.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

ShowTime posted:

I get sound and I wish I could describe the situation a bit better. It wasn't a strategic element that got me killed, it was this guy being able to enter the doorway, ADS and hit me in the face in a split second. I can also tell where people are based on sound. It's not hard to hear something in your left ear and know it's in that direction.

I can't even think of a gun that can go from your hip to your shoulder that quickly, then for them to get my face in the their sights immediately. You can kind of get that done just by having the gun leveled at the right level, as if you were going to no scope someone, but gently caress, this was perfect. I get outplayed all the time, tbh. This was more of a luck thing now that I've thought about it more. I even messaged the person to ask them, but they haven't accepted yet and at this point, too much time has passed for them to remember me.

No as in, "if I hear crunching glass from the next room I know they're in NW corner, wood means SW corner".

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

ShowTime posted:

I'm p sure it's mostly that the delay between what you see and what happened is something absolutely ridiculous in this game, like for the other guy too. Sometimes I kill streamers and I watch from their perspective and it's like they get their shots in then the game catches up to them being dead then they hear my shots.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Yeah I don’t have a lot of faith in this games netcode. It’s pretty common to get killed and then hear the shots after the death animation starts. Also I’ll always notice my own squad desycingsuper hard, and I assume the enemy would be doing the same, you just see it a lot less than your own squad mate.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

ShowTime posted:

It's called peeker's advantage. And it's a big deal especially in Tarkov.

Also some people are just that loving good. Like, watch a couple videos from someone like Worrun. His reactions are insane. Some people are basically human aimbots and you just don't stand a chance.

ChesterJT posted:

I've actually had good luck rushing dorms for quests. Especially the room 203/303 ones. I can get up that staircase, go in and unlock the door, get my quest item and out of the building in like 10 seconds. Getting away and out to extract is always trickier.

Dorms has a well earned reputation. But yeah same. If I need to go there, so long as I have a good spawn and I'm quick I don't usually have too much trouble.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ShowTime posted:

you dont really ads in close range fights and people often take very predictable positions within rooms. especially if they hear you it becomes really easy to just prefire as you enter a room and take people out before they can react.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
hipfire is REALLY good in tarkov, even better with a laser, poo poo like the AS VAL basically seems like it fires with the same accuracy ADSing as it does from the hip. I've watched some of the better streamers use the blindfire stances to still hipfire somebody and 1 tap their heads easily.

always be aiming for headshots. faceshields aren't common and good, class 4+ faceshields are even less common, so bopping a guy in the face is usually a good way to win a fight outright. Buy and use grenades. The other guy's fort armor won't save him from an RGD landing at his feet, and you get the bonus of the shrapnel not causing armor damage too for when you loot it off him. Flashbangs are great against scavs, they run around and stare at walls like dorks. Research your ammo types. Typically you either want rounds with good pen and aim for the head and chest, or rounds with high damage and aim for the legs. Leg meta isn't super viable outside of shotguns, though. Taking a round that pens class 3 armor at the very least is what you should aim for. 7.62 AKs can function with PS ammo, 5.45 can use BP or BT, 5.56 can use M855A1 or M856A1, mosins can shoot anything, and for the bigger 7.62 hunters/M1As M80 is a solid round. Any 3x39 round works, to be honest. You can, of course, shell out for poo poo like BS, Igolnik, and M995, but you're gonna spend a lot of money on bullets you're probably going to die with in your magazine or blow on a scav wearing a PACA, so stick with the budget rounds until you're ready to hunt for the sweaty boys.

An M80 round into the face is going to kill everyone short of somebody with a Class 5 faceshield (which means super sweaty), so always aim for the head.

plehsistential
Jan 29, 2012

death to all avatar havers
its point shooting not hipfire thx

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

plehsistential posted:

hipfire

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Hipfire is really good and at first it can be difficult but the more you play, the easier it gets. I still can't do the crazy poo poo Worrun does, but he is one of the best. I see him do crazier poo poo then someone well known like Shroud.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

plehsistential posted:

It's point shooting and in Tarkov the gun shoots where it's pointing at all times, there's no forced spread.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It's point shooting and in Tarkov the gun shoots where it's pointing at all times, there's no forced spread.

hardest thing to break from csgo

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

its called "hipfire"

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Stux posted:

its called "hipfire"

yeah, point shooting

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

thats longer to type so its called hipfire

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Stux posted:

thats longer to type so its called hipfire

what is? point shooting?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

causticBeet posted:

Yeah I don’t have a lot of faith in this games netcode. It’s pretty common to get killed and then hear the shots after the death animation starts. Also I’ll always notice my own squad desycingsuper hard, and I assume the enemy would be doing the same, you just see it a lot less than your own squad mate.

The net code is 100% trash, but dying before you hear the shot being fired is 100% intentional. Bullets travel faster than the speed of sound. This is a design decision.

https://youtu.be/8CjNskFJGMA

Lemon
May 22, 2003

In terms of explaining the mechanics to people learning the game, it's hipfire.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

VulgarandStupid posted:

The net code is 100% trash, but dying before you hear the shot being fired is 100% intentional. Bullets travel faster than the speed of sound. This is a design decision.

https://youtu.be/8CjNskFJGMA

This happened to me last from a dude with a shotgun like 3 feet away so it definitely wasn’t some superior physics simulation, it’s just poo poo net code. Like I was mid death animation and heard 3 shotgun blasts.

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.

causticBeet posted:

This happened to me last from a dude with a shotgun like 3 feet away so it definitely wasn’t some superior physics simulation, it’s just poo poo net code. Like I was mid death animation and heard 3 shotgun blasts.

Don't you understand the SPEED that Russians can fire shotguns at?!?!?!?!

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

twig1919 posted:

Don't you understand the SPEED that Russians can fire shotguns at?!?!?!?!

Same reason the Mosin is the best weapon in the game. This game is made by Russians, for Russians. The track suit is the best outfit in the game. Vodka is a rare item but only costs like 10k. Every jacket has a pack of croutons in it.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
God I wish I could have gotten a screenshot of these three chads sitting at the top of some steps on Reserve, all facing away towards a door just camping it, waiting for anyone to come through it. It was in that building next to the train station that leads to depot hermetic door. I knew someone was in there so I went down and through the underground area (they also shut every door on the way in, which btw, doesn't really do poo poo if you aren't gonna loot in that area). I crept up on them, looked up the steps and there were all 3 of them, facing away. I would have gotten a screenshot but at that moment one of them decided to reposition to aim around his buddies a bit better and I panic fired because I assumed he had seen me (he didn't, but I still died because I was a scav with a pistol and they were in actual kits).

People that camp like that are hilarious. I'm all for camping, but when all 3 of you face the same direction and aren't covering other points, it's hilarious. If I had any other weapon, all 3 of them would have been dead.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
Just bought a new pc, is there a way I can back up the install to save me downloading the game again like steam allows?
First time i downloaded the game at new years I got 1/3rd my normal download speed, don't want to go through that again if I can avoid it.

BANNED USER
May 18, 2010

I have this real nasty habit of punching faces

Copper For Lyfe posted:

Just bought a new pc, is there a way I can back up the install to save me downloading the game again like steam allows?
First time i downloaded the game at new years I got 1/3rd my normal download speed, don't want to go through that again if I can avoid it.

Just make a copy of everything? Considering we're talking about Tapkob here I highly doubt it.

BANNED USER fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 31, 2020

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
It just installs to a folder called "Tarkov". You can probably just install the launcher on your new machine, then copy that folder from the old one into the new location.

The vast majority of the data is in a folder labeled EscapeFromTarkov_Data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
I've copied all the files and the launcher just did an integrity check and i was good to go