Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreaseGunner
Dec 26, 2012

Just chillin'
I'm also loving Velvia, though I'm not really used to it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ektachrome100 from same day in comparison:

Prefer the velvia, tbh.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

The lab has now re-opened, using their night drop off slot and pre-booked pick-ups.

And I'm absolutely loving Velvia 100:

corect your colors and crop your borders this isn't rocket surgery

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

GreaseGunner posted:

I'm also loving Velvia, though I'm not really used to it yet.

And you too.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Ektachrome100 from same day in comparison:

Prefer the velvia, tbh.

i don't prefer either but up 2 u

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Wild EEPROM posted:

rocket surgery

Thanks for spoiling my next series theme.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Wild EEPROM posted:

Nah (But thanks anyway!)

ImplicitAssembler fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Mar 27, 2020

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Wild EEPROM posted:

your colors make it look like someone pissed all over the snow

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

correcting a scan that's already hosed up (which this thread seems to constantly do) is much more challenging than actually processing and scanning your film correctly

the shots posted recently by many different posters all have some serious hosed up blues.

GreaseGunner
Dec 26, 2012

Just chillin'
I mean, that's what the positive looks like. It was overexposed.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

looks bad dude

GreaseGunner
Dec 26, 2012

Just chillin'
I'm not a fan of the cast I got with it but I've always liked the color I've seen from Velvia, the really fine grain is nice too but I suppose it's no different from Ektachrome. I had always heard Velvia saturated colors a lot more than other slide films so I'm surprised it has a weird pastel look even if I overexposed it. The lab I use has been making really weird mistakes lately but I would assume it's my fault and nothing they did.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

IIRC from reading apug.org, slide film is more sensitive to blue so you pretty much always need to be using a warming filter unless you're shooting in clear daylight. Any bit of shade or shadows and you're getting a blue cast. I think it's designed to offset the slightly yellow tint given off by slide projector bulbs.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

polyester concept posted:

IIRC from reading apug.org, slide film is more sensitive to blue so you pretty much always need to be using a warming filter unless you're shooting in clear daylight. Any bit of shade or shadows and you're getting a blue cast. I think it's designed to offset the slightly yellow tint given off by slide projector bulbs.

That's interesting. I would've assumed though that the manufacturers wouldn't really expect anyone to actually be using projectors any more though.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

President Beep posted:

That's interesting. I would've assumed though that the manufacturers wouldn't really expect anyone to actually be using projectors any more though.

Portra (negative film of course, not slide) is designed for a hybrid-digital workflow first and foremost.

I don't know if Fuji is really that proactive about re-engineering their film stocks/developing new film stocks like Kodak though. There is the RDP III generation but I think that also might have been about removing toxic materials from production, I'm not sure it made it much warmer.

Fuji is really a pretty badly managed company that doesn't seem to want to be in the film business anymore. I am convinced a lot of the "surprise" discontinuations of films are because they made a bunch of master rolls 10 years ago and just have them in cold storage and are slitting them up and when they're gone oops, that was the last of it! And they are especially bad about communicating this outside Fuji Japan and particularly to the western world.

But hey I guess they made Acros II. How is it, anyway? Still have crazy reciprocity failure and super fine grain? Any notable changes in behavior otherwise?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

polyester concept posted:

this is true but none of us are making cibachrome prints, we can shoot/meter for a digital workflow

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

Paul MaudDib posted:

Portra (negative film of course, not slide) is designed for a hybrid-digital workflow first and foremost.

I don't know if Fuji is really that proactive about re-engineering their film stocks/developing new film stocks like Kodak though. There is the RDP III generation but I think that also might have been about removing toxic materials from production, I'm not sure it made it much warmer.

Fuji is really a pretty badly managed company that doesn't seem to want to be in the film business anymore. I am convinced a lot of the "surprise" discontinuations of films are because they made a bunch of master rolls 10 years ago and just have them in cold storage and are slitting them up and when they're gone oops, that was the last of it! And they are especially bad about communicating this outside Fuji Japan and particularly to the western world.

But hey I guess they made Acros II. How is it, anyway? Still have crazy reciprocity failure and super fine grain? Any notable changes in behavior otherwise?

My brother decided to buy me a 10-pack of Fuji C200 for my birthday off of amazon. I've shot off at least one roll of it and I can confirm that it's not engineered for hybrid work. I did all the shooting outside when I took one of the rolls to Boston with me a couple months ago and depending on how the light is, it requires some balancing work in Lightroom to compensate.

I didn't touch temp or tint on these so you can see:

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

you didn't touch temp or tint but how are you inverting your negatives and removing the cast?

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

ansel autisms posted:

you didn't touch temp or tint but how are you inverting your negatives and removing the cast?

I'm letting the scanning software do inversion and cast removal (I have an epson v370). I should say these pics I didn't do anything extra to them with tint and temp outside of what the software decided to do.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

CRAYON posted:

your colors make it look like someone pissed all over the snow

maybe on your uncalibrated gaming monitor

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Dudeabides posted:

I'm letting the scanning software do inversion and cast removal (I have an epson v370). I should say these pics I didn't do anything extra to them with tint and temp outside of what the software decided to do.

i hope you see what i'm getting at here

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

ansel autisms posted:

i hope you see what i'm getting at here

I do.

ansel autisms posted:

correcting a scan that's already hosed up (which this thread seems to constantly do) is much more challenging than actually processing and scanning your film correctly

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

i have "48 bit positive, save as tiff" tattooed over my rear end

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

anyways

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Wild EEPROM posted:

maybe on your uncalibrated gaming monitor

i knew you were going to say this so i made sure to look at it on my calibrated monitor

sorry still too yellow

also, this makes me wonder. if 90+% of the people that will be looking at the photo are going to be on a phone, tablet or laptop why would you edit something in a way that only looks good on a calibrated pro monitor?

CRAYON fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 28, 2020

GreaseGunner
Dec 26, 2012

Just chillin'
Because it's, superior. :smug: In all honesty unless you're making a print it probably doesn't matter.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

prints are an important final step in the photographic process

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

imagine spending thousands on a camera and film and refusing to calibrate your monitor

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
I just apply an instagram filter to achieve the look I want

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ansel autisms posted:

imagine spending thousands on a camera and film and refusing to calibrate your monitor

Good thing I didn't spend thousands on my camera.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
Clearly the most correct solution is to code your website to only send plain black squares to anyone with the poor taste to view it on anything but an Eizo Coloredge or maybe a Viewsonic VP-series.

ansel autisms posted:

prints are an important final step in the photographic process

Blind print exchanges were the first photographic social media.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

cerious posted:

I just apply an instagram filter to achieve the look I want

Same but I just turn my monitor off.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
gently caress yes this is good

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Good thing I didn't spend thousands on my camera.

let me spell it out for you: it's astounding that people will put forth time and effort and money and be completely opposed to things that objectively improve their results.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ok, so I had a look at colour calibration tools are nowhere near as expensive as last time I checked, so it's not as silly a suggestion as I initially thought.
I'm still fairly confident that my monitor is close enough that it wont make a big enough difference (for me).

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Because I'm playing with printing right now I got a second-hand x-rite colormunki photo for monitor calibration and printer profiling. Currently calibrating my first paper type, just calibrated my monitor and while it was already close it did actually make a fairly big difference. My monitor was too bright and slightly over-saturated, which matched the corrections I was having to make on my prints to get them looking right.

GreaseGunner
Dec 26, 2012

Just chillin'
My home and work monitors are both calibrated but I still won't usually do much editing to my scans unless I actually plan on doing something with them besides posting online. Turning a hobby into work sounds like a good way to kill any fun.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Getting better at a hobby really fucks up my enjoyment of it, I tell ya.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

MrBlandAverage posted:

Getting better at a hobby really fucks up my enjoyment of it, I tell ya.

I mean, people can get different things out of the same hobby. The enjoyment one gets from the act of taking a photograph is far different from the act of editing a photo. It's not hard to imagine some people enjoy one but not the other.

Like, people might enjoy writing a story but hate editing, or enjoy painting a scene but hate mixing paints and cleaning brushes etc. You don't have to enjoy every aspect of a hobby to enjoy the hobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

CodfishCartographer posted:

I mean, people can get different things out of the same hobby. The enjoyment one gets from the act of taking a photograph is far different from the act of editing a photo. It's not hard to imagine some people enjoy one but not the other.

Like, people might enjoy writing a story but hate editing, or enjoy painting a scene but hate mixing paints and cleaning brushes etc. You don't have to enjoy every aspect of a hobby to enjoy the hobby.

Editing color isn't my favorite part of film photography, either. That doesn't mean getting better at it isn't rewarding.