Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Yeah, if you're king, First Guy will grab the king title. The duchies will then be distributed, but he will keep his brothers as vassals since they will be of lower tier than him.

Murdering the brothers before they have kids will work fine, but note that if they have kids those kids will inherit before First Guy. First Guy should also get a strong claim on the other duchies, so he'll have a free CB to snap them back up (because he was 2nd/3rd in line for them).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

megane posted:

e: Also, as a general rule, it's better to give counties to people who currently don't own anything. Non-inheriting relatives are good, lowborn schlubs are good. The reason is that this keeps them individually weak; if all they ever hold is their one single county, then they don't have the strength to fight you.

also depending on why you're giving a county away, look to give it away to a childless old man or a eunuch. when this person dies the title will come back to you and you get another chance to keep it or give it away again

Look Sir Droids posted:

If I manage that, it's much better for the succession, right? My first son becomes King and the other sons get what they get, but Son #1 is still the boss? So I feel like I'm on the verge of very clean or very messy.

this is exactly right. if you're playing gavelkind, it is best to shoot for one (and only one) higher level title that you can use to keep your other titles in the same realm on succession. if you have multiple duchies, they'll get split, one king title and multiple duchies means you lose the duchy titles but keep them within the kingdom. this can still be messy because you could end up with a powerful ducal vassal with strong claims on your own crown, but at least if that guy wins a rebellion and murders you he's still a dynast so it's not a game over

for obvious reasons, don't get two king titles unless you can also credibly get an emperor title (which probably not until you're reformed and ditching gavelkind anyway)

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Coolguye posted:

Also, to be clear, I need to ask a really irritating question:

A vassal is a landed character who exists beneath you in the hierarchy, and therefore pays you monetary and levy taxes in return for political protection. A 'landless vassal' makes no sense. Did you mean courtiers?

Probably! I don't know what I mean. I guess I was referring to dudes that don't have counties.

quote:

Getting the King title is definitely better as it gives you only one top level rank and will guarantee your realm will not shatter and your siblings will be your vassals rather than your equals. In that case, the most efficient way to re-unify the realm will not be to conquer them, because you can't declare war on your vassals. Instead, you'll simply wait for them to start plotting against you (which they absolutely will), and then try to arrest them.

Wait, so if I become King. Pass the King title down, I'll still need to re-unify the Kingdom? Or do you mean that's how I go about getting the counties back so I can redistribute them away from problematic relatives?

Any tips on fast-tracking my way to the King title from where I'm at? I need to rely on getting lucky with fabricated claims or is there another way?

luxury handset posted:

also depending on why you're giving a county away, look to give it away to a childless old man or a eunuch. when this person dies the title will come back to you and you get another chance to keep it or give it away again

I tried this with my most powerful vassal. I gave him a county, he went and took two on his own. His troop levy by himself is 80% of mine. But he was also childless. But still had an heir. He died, his heir took over. He is also childless, but has an heir.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 26, 2020

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Coolguye posted:

you said you had to put a retinue there, which is not true for personally held counties - the levies there spawn at max morale, it is only vassal levies that start at poor morale.

quote:

to at least force battle and allow you to raise levies mid-fight

so that i can avoid any economic loss on the province due to even just a moment of raiding/sieging

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Update: I invited some dipshit to court and it worked.

Edit: I have four sons, not three.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 26, 2020

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Look Sir Droids posted:

Probably! I don't know what I mean. I guess I was referring to dudes that don't have counties.
ok yeah, the term for this is 'courtier' - that is, someone who's only distinction is that they exist in your court. not trying to be an rear end, just it gets confusing otherwise.

quote:

Wait, so if I become King. Pass the King title down, I'll still need to re-unify the Kingdom? Or do you mean that's how I go about getting the counties back so I can redistribute them away from problematic relatives?
the latter. if you are king then your siblings will be your vassals and there will be no need to reunify the kingdom, but you still may want some of their land for yourself.

quote:

Any tips on fast-tracking my way to the King title from where I'm at? I need to rely on getting lucky with fabricated claims or is there another way?
look for counties you are targeting for the kingdom, and check the line of succession. invite a claimant to the throne of the county to your court, land him by giving him another county you don't care about, and then press his claim. he will still be your vassal after you press his claim, and when he inevitably starts plotting later you can always put him in time out until he dies.

quote:

I tried this with my most powerful vassal. I gave him a county, he went and took two on his own. His troop levy by himself is 80% of mine. But he was also childless. But still had an heir. He died, his heir took over. He is also childless, but has an heir.
more accurately, this trick works if the dynasty dies out. if there is still another dynast around, say a brother, a distant cousin, etc they will take over. if you want to see the county come back to you, promote someone of "house" Lowborn.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Coolguye posted:

look for counties you are targeting for the kingdom, and check the line of succession. invite a claimant to the throne of the county to your court, land him by giving him another county you don't care about, and then press his claim. he will still be your vassal after you press his claim, and when he inevitably starts plotting later you can always put him in time out until he dies.

Thanks. That’s way easier than fabricating, but I’m out of counties to dole out.

I did manage to get a claim on a county. The liege lord is in Norway. Even though I can take down the county easily, I can’t get him to agree to end the war. I can occasionally get him in a small battle but his main army always runs away. Sieging down the county half a dozen times isn’t enough. How do I handle this?

Talky
Mar 26, 2010

Look Sir Droids posted:

Thanks. That’s way easier than fabricating, but I’m out of counties to dole out.

I did manage to get a claim on a county. The liege lord is in Norway. Even though I can take down the county easily, I can’t get him to agree to end the war. I can occasionally get him in a small battle but his main army always runs away. Sieging down the county half a dozen times isn’t enough. How do I handle this?

It sounds like you need to go attack and siege down the Norwegian liege lord's land in order to get them to submit, or at least lure their main army into a place where you can catch it. Holding the target county should be a good chunk of war-score, but if their liege is large enough and you can't catch their army it will be necessary to attack their Norwegian holdings. Even if you don't have a good naval situation you should be able to just walk through the crossings in Denmark.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Talky posted:

It sounds like you need to go attack and siege down the Norwegian liege lord's land in order to get them to submit, or at least lure their main army into a place where you can catch it. Holding the target county should be a good chunk of war-score, but if their liege is large enough and you can't catch their army it will be necessary to attack their Norwegian holdings. Even if you don't have a good naval situation you should be able to just walk through the crossings in Denmark.

Yeah, I tried that but stretched my supply line. It was late in the war though, so I'll give it a shot early on after taking the objective county.

What's the different between a claim war and a conquest war? I have a claim on one county, but I can do a conquest war on its neighboring county.

Talky
Mar 26, 2010
Those are different Casus Belli (CBs), which you can just think about as your reasons / justification for declaring war. They all have different conditions and costs for declaring them, and all can change what happens when you win (or lose) the war. When you're on the war declaration screen the specific conditions should be listed in a tool tip if you hover over your different war declaration options, but the wiki is also good if you want to figure out what's possible:

https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Casus_Belli

A claim war means you're pressing a specific character's claim on the territory in question, and if you win that character will get that title. This is often great, because it doesn't have many extra costs (outside of finagling the claim and making sure they will be your vassal) or additional risks (versus say declaring a holy war CB, which means nearby states of the defender's religion may chose to defend them).

A conquest war (for pagans, which I'm presuming you are) is something you can just use on any county belonging to a character who is of a different religion than you. If they have a liege, then I'm pretty sure this depends on their top tier liege's religion.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!
Thank you for the advice about becoming a vassal. If it happens again I'll be more patient with it. I also realised that I had been playing for 200 years and I hadn't even built up a standing army, I feel like an idiot.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Talky posted:

Those are different Casus Belli (CBs), which you can just think about as your reasons / justification for declaring war. They all have different conditions and costs for declaring them, and all can change what happens when you win (or lose) the war. When you're on the war declaration screen the specific conditions should be listed in a tool tip if you hover over your different war declaration options, but the wiki is also good if you want to figure out what's possible:

https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Casus_Belli

A claim war means you're pressing a specific character's claim on the territory in question, and if you win that character will get that title. This is often great, because it doesn't have many extra costs (outside of finagling the claim and making sure they will be your vassal) or additional risks (versus say declaring a holy war CB, which means nearby states of the defender's religion may chose to defend them).

A conquest war (for pagans, which I'm presuming you are) is something you can just use on any county belonging to a character who is of a different religion than you. If they have a liege, then I'm pretty sure this depends on their top tier liege's religion.

Thanks. I tried several save scums, but I just couldn't make either of those wars work. I also realized Pomerania is bigger than I thought and I'll need three more counties to become King. It's not going to happen if I'm not able to quickly knock those two counties out.

I did find a claimant to invite to court though. I wanted to find a county to give him, so I revoked my biggest vassal's title and he rebelled. I put it down. His completely unrelated heir took over, so it was for nothing. Eh, I guess I'll have a lot of war target options in my next life. But I'll be a lovely Duke. One of my sons died though, so the inheritance got a tiny bit cleaner! The two oldest sons have good stats at least.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Finally got the Game of Thrones mod working, started on the oldest benchmark as Aegon. I...apparently have no idea how dragons work. Sometimes I get an Intrigue prompt to use them, sometimes I don't and I lose. There's apparently a "Dragon" flag that has to be ticked, but I'm not sure if that functions on a recharge or what

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

DeathChicken posted:

Finally got the Game of Thrones mod working, started on the oldest benchmark as Aegon. I...apparently have no idea how dragons work. Sometimes I get an Intrigue prompt to use them, sometimes I don't and I lose. There's apparently a "Dragon" flag that has to be ticked, but I'm not sure if that functions on a recharge or what

Its been a little bit since I played the GoT mod, but here's how I think it worked when I last played. When you siege a holding with a commander who has a dragon you'll be given the option of burning the holding. It doesn't destroy it but I think it will kill everyone inside. This option is also possible if you're a member of the Alchemists Guild via wildfire.

I could be wrong, and perhaps they've updated this mechanic since then.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Right, the problem is that the option to burn holdings (or armies) is an Intrigue option that does or doesn't come up, depending on whether the "Dragon" flag is currently ticked under Intrigue. What makes that tick or untick I do not know. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I did it! Became King of Pomerania! My very old original dude got very wealthy accumulating gold. My wife with very poor stewardship died, so I married one with high stewardship which doubled my demesne size. So I YOLOed it. The counties I had claims on changed hands a few times and I was able to hire mercenaries and just brow beat them down. Got 10 of the 19 counties, established the Kingdom and another Duchy.

And I was so giddy I didn't notice I got attacked by an enormous Swedish Army. I forgot to save when I quit out. Thank goodness for the autosave.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 27, 2020

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Congratulations! Now when your son inherits you have a ton of highly legitimate de jure claims to bring the other 9 counties under your rule! :getin:

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Coolguye posted:

Congratulations! Now when your son inherits you have a ton of highly legitimate de jure claims to bring the other 9 counties under your rule! :getin:

Yeah that’s def the next phase and, other than the succession, why I established the kingdom as soon as I could.. I’m thinking once I have all de jure counties under me, I’ll convert to Christianity so I can Holy War what’s adjacent to me that’s still a Pagan and Scandinavia. Assuming I can get some Christian allies.

Does the Holy Roman Empire just happen on its own?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

Does the Holy Roman Empire just happen on its own?

No, there's a decision to create it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I've began playing again and, again, I get bored in peacetime as Norse (I left coalitions on to keep things somewhat challenging), so I've decided to go Artifact and Bloodline hunting, pokemon style. In order to get artifacts within my realm I have to grant independence to the owner and then raid them, right?

How about bloodlines? Hod do I fuse a kidnapped bloodline descentant into my kwisatz haderach?

Fake Edit: Just noticed that the owner of the Yada Tashi is unlanded and will willingly come to my court. This means that eventually it will become mine, right?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Fat Samurai posted:

How about bloodlines? Hod do I fuse a kidnapped bloodline descentant into my kwisatz haderach?

You get a male carrier of the bloodline into your realm, then make them marry a woman of your dynasty matrilinealy. That way, their children will be of your dynasty, and also carry the bloodline you want to get. You then hope for girl children, and then matri-marry one of those girls to your (boy) heir. Your grandchildren will then have the bloodline your targeted.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
This may sound strange but is there a way to setup circumstances so that your AI vassals will create a Merchant Republic on their own? Suppose I cannot give any title county or above, to a Town. But I can give a Town to any Feudal lord. Is there a way through assassinations or so on to result in a Merchant Republic, or County Republic being created?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

This may sound strange but is there a way to setup circumstances so that your AI vassals will create a Merchant Republic on their own? Suppose I cannot give any title county or above, to a Town. But I can give a Town to any Feudal lord. Is there a way through assassinations or so on to result in a Merchant Republic, or County Republic being created?

you can in fact do this!

1) get title to a City in your realm. it should ideally be in a county that is coastal and that belongs to a small duchy. precisely how you do it is irrelevant, usually i drop the intrigue focus on the baron-level mayor and antagonize him at the same time. the combination of spies plus low relations means that he'll start trying to plot and i'll catch him doing something naughty fairly quick.
2) make the City the county capital. you do this by right clicking on the town in the county screen.
3) hand off the county title to a courtier. it barely matters who, but DO NOT make it a dynast unless you are playing a strictly agnatic game, the inheritance rules surrounding MRs play hell with any feudal laws that include women.
4) this will make the courtier the Lord Mayor of (County). Now give him the ducal title.

Boom, you have created a vassal merchant republic and merchant republic things will now happen. enjoy your taxes they will be substantial.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 29, 2020

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Also you want to make sure all Merchant Republics are your DIRECT vassal. Giving one to a king well drastically reduce the amount of income you get, since he will keep most of it.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Thank you for the advice about becoming a vassal. If it happens again I'll be more patient with it. I also realised that I had been playing for 200 years and I hadn't even built up a standing army, I feel like an idiot.

You can just pledge fealty as a menu option and the AI will accept 99.9% of the time, you have to really piss someone off for them to reject your vassalage.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Coolguye posted:

you can in fact do this!

1) get title to a City in your realm. it should ideally be in a county that is coastal and that belongs to a small duchy. precisely how you do it is irrelevant, usually i drop the intrigue focus on the baron-level mayor and antagonize him at the same time. the combination of spies plus low relations means that he'll start trying to plot and i'll catch him doing something naughty fairly quick.
2) make the City the county capital. you do this by right clicking on the town in the county screen.
3) hand off the county title to a courtier. it barely matters who, but DO NOT make it a dynast unless you are playing a strictly agnatic game, the inheritance rules surrounding MRs play hell with any feudal laws that include women.
4) this will make the courtier the Lord Mayor of (County). Now give him the ducal title.

Boom, you have created a vassal merchant republic and merchant republic things will now happen. enjoy your taxes they will be substantial.

The only issue here I think is giving the courtier the county title which I for various restrictions not allowed to do. Basically the rules in my game we're not allowed to create a MR directly; so I can't directly click buttons that would result in a republic. In fact I think I already specified I can't directly give anyone either the county or ducal title. I need an indirect way of doing so.

However it's all good if the AI somehow does it on their own. But there's only a limited number of county republics in the Iron century start, so ideally I need a means of indirectly coaxing the AI to do it on their own.

e: My current thinking is I could maybe do the first couple of steps, acquire a City directly, make it county capital, and then give that county to a feudal duke with gavelkind and more than 1 child boom, when they die it should split and one of them should be a Republic?

e2: Whelp, I managed to get some dude to inherit a county whose capital was a town but the dude didn't turn into a Lord mayor?

e3: Okay I think I figured out a way. I have to have an AI vassal who is duke level, give them the town-county (but make sure to keep the barony for myself so it stays a town-county). It may be the case they need to be over their demense limit so I also have fatten them up with counties, but as soon as they are over their limit, they will hand out the town-county to a courtier and BOOM AI made coastal republic.

The next "phase" that's a little more difficult is then getting them to create the duke title on their own, so I have to destroy the title, give them money and then hopefully to make it on their own. But before that I need to transfer that Town-County vassal back to me.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 29, 2020

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

I realllllllly hope CK3 adds a "are you sure about this" button for swapping characters after winning a crusade because my stupid rear end always clicks the one I mean to NOT click

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
On my very first game I accidentally did very well in the crusades by sending some country hicks down there and following around the insane doomstacks. I ended up being gifted a mountain of gold and a slice of heaven for some random chick I don't even remember nominating. When it asked me if I'd like to swap to Duchess Mc Stupidface in charge of... *checks notes* current day PALESTINE I had a good belly laugh and walked away from it. Got a notification a few years later of her head being on a pike, who would have thought?!

Make-your-own-fun, indeed.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Strange request maybe - does anyone know of a resource that has the event text complied in a reviewable/readable format? Reading through the cvs files is pretty rough

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Captain Beans posted:

Strange request maybe - does anyone know of a resource that has the event text complied in a reviewable/readable format? Reading through the cvs files is pretty rough

If you know the event you're looking for, it's pretty easy to find the event number and grep for it. Which one are you looking for?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Is there a way to sort or find out which rulers would be willing to do an alliance or defensive pact with me? Are non-aggression pacts only available via marriage ties? I have threats on about 2/3 of my border so I could use some help.

Is there a way to just look at my family tree? I didn’t pay attention to where a lot of people I married off went to.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

binge crotching posted:

If you know the event you're looking for, it's pretty easy to find the event number and grep for it. Which one are you looking for?

I'm actually not looking for a specific event - trying to write flavor text for an event mod. I'm trying to keep the same tone and style from the base game so the new events don't stick out. So far I've kind of ghetto combined all the the events descriptions from the cvs files but it's garbled in with the other localization languages. I'm hoping to massage it into an easily readable format.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 30, 2020

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

Is there a way to sort or find out which rulers would be willing to do an alliance or defensive pact with me? Are non-aggression pacts only available via marriage ties? I have threats on about 2/3 of my border so I could use some help.
Marriage is the only normal way to get a non-aggression pact, yeah. I think some events can result in them. Defensive pacts are completely different; they arise when a particular realm is super threatening. There's a mapmode that shows which ones exist, and then you can right click on the pact's target and select "join existing defensive pact."

quote:

Is there a way to just look at my family tree? I didn’t pay attention to where a lot of people I married off went to.

Click on the dynasty shield at the top right of your character page. There's also a little tree button that shows you your immediate family members but it's sort of useless?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

megane posted:

Marriage is the only normal way to get a non-aggression pact, yeah. I think some events can result in them. Defensive pacts are completely different; they arise when a particular realm is super threatening. There's a mapmode that shows which ones exist, and then you can right click on the pact's target and select "join existing defensive pact."

I believe the game will notify you if there are defensive pacts you can join with an icon, too. It's pretty unlikely you'll get the opportunity since the requirement to join one is that you can't be bigger than the % of threat the target has relative to the target (so if they have 30% threat, nobody who is >30% of their realm size can join that pact), and the AI usually keeps its threat pretty low. Defensive pacts are more of a thing to put the brakes on human players trying to conquer the whole world than something you ever really need to think about joining yourself.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

DeathChicken posted:

Right, the problem is that the option to burn holdings (or armies) is an Intrigue option that does or doesn't come up, depending on whether the "Dragon" flag is currently ticked under Intrigue. What makes that tick or untick I do not know. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't
As the CK2 ASoiaF guy until the Forever Winter War melted my CPU -- to the best of my recollection, you need your dragonrider present at the battle as a commander. My best guess is that that's why the Dragon flag is checking and unchecking; what it's trying to tell you is "a dragon is actually present at this battle" or "there's no dragon here, you didn't bring your dragonrider".

Dragons can also get injured and become ineligible to fight, but you'd know it if that happened. It's a risk of happening when you take 'em out in battle, but you get a very noticable pop-up window about it.

On a different topic: does bloodline transfer have anything to do with status of women? In my last 1066 start game all the bloodlines getting formed were all universal inheritance, and in the 867 game I'm playing now, so far everything is patrilineal inheritance/matrilineal transfer.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

In my last 1066 start game all the bloodlines getting formed were all universal inheritance, and in the 867 game I'm playing now, so far everything is patrilineal inheritance/matrilineal transfer.
Nothing in the base game is universal inheritance - everything is either patril or matril. Running mods?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

On a different topic: does bloodline transfer have anything to do with status of women? In my last 1066 start game all the bloodlines getting formed were all universal inheritance, and in the 867 game I'm playing now, so far everything is patrilineal inheritance/matrilineal transfer.
that has to do with the gender of the founder of the bloodline, not the surrounding culture. men will have a patrilinial inheritance/matrilinial transfer and women will have matrilinial inheritance/matrilinial transfer. at least in the base game. i'm not even sure what universal inheritance is.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

lurksion posted:

Nothing in the base game is universal inheritance - everything is either patril or matril. Running mods?
Nope. For some reason all the created bloodlines last game were getting both patri and matri inheritance, just across the board.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Okay, I have played for years and this is the first time I encountered something this annoying.

I started a Venice Ironman. I was not the elected Dodge, and Venice of all places got an usurper stack. Venice has all cities (earliest start), and when the usurper took Venice proper it gamed over for me, despite the fact the usurper would have just become the dodge of the merchant republic, since there were no feudal holdings; and on top of that, when I was dodge I had built a city, making me a mayor of a holding regardless of who the dodge was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

As the CK2 ASoiaF guy until the Forever Winter War melted my CPU -- to the best of my recollection, you need your dragonrider present at the battle as a commander. My best guess is that that's why the Dragon flag is checking and unchecking; what it's trying to tell you is "a dragon is actually present at this battle" or "there's no dragon here, you didn't bring your dragonrider".
Yeah, it's definitely not that since in this scenario, typically my only army is Aegon leading. So he should have a dragon at all times