Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Obesity in Western countries also has correlation to being lower class, with poor preventive care, poor nutrition etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

ThermoPhysical posted:

Also they'd do something for those on Social Security too?

Lobby the feds to lower the age for full SS benefits to 60, get more at risk people out of the workforce, open up employment for younger folks.

win win

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

popewiles posted:

It's an absolutely insane idea, but I'm actually starting to wonder if this is seen by Xi as the means of solving China's looming demographic cliff.

Doubt it, not nearly infectious enough to make a dent in their inverted demographic crisis.

Now, having 6+ months of zero international oversight to finish off genociding pesky ethnic minorities - with the plausible deniability of a pandemic to point at if anyone questions where they went? Yeah, that's happening.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Google Butt posted:

Do we know enough to say while likely, that could also be coincidence?

It's a huge risk factor for respiratory illness mortality. All that blubber crowds and weighs down on your lungs, reducing your effective lung capacity. Not only that, but the excess tissue consumes oxygen as well, leaving less for other organs.

And none of the reports seem to mention the prevalence of obesity in their populations :negative:

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Rime posted:

Doubt it, not nearly infectious enough to make a dent in their inverted demographic crisis.

Now, having 6+ months of zero international oversight to finish off genociding pesky ethnic minorities - with the plausible deniability of a pandemic to point at if anyone questions where they went? Yeah, that's happening.

Not to mention I am pretty sure most if not all the population monitoring measures are going to stay in place.

Xi is an imperialist authoritarian monster but I do think he has more of a brain than some of the Number worshiping ghouls over here. The collateral damage of a widespread pandemic is going to be worse than a moderate blunting of a demographic crisis.

[edit] vv

Munin fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 29, 2020

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Killing a marginal number of olds seems to be economically inefficient if it causes a complete destruction of the economy

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
But what do i know

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

It's a huge risk factor for respiratory illness mortality. All that blubber crowds and weighs down on your lungs, reducing your effective lung capacity.
Wouldn't that be more of an issue with breasts? It seems like men are much more affected, even though compared to men, women have pounds and pounds of extra fat directly over their lungs.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

steinrokkan posted:

Killing a marginal number of olds seems to be economically inefficient if it causes a complete destruction of the economy

World's worst bioweapon.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
when this all passes it's going to be really weird

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

angryrobots posted:

Childless goons think having kids is the same thing as having a pet.

Obviously having 1 child is not the same as having 1 pet but I feel like 1 child being equivalent to 3 cats is probably accurate enough.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

bird with big dick posted:

Obviously having 1 child is not the same as having 1 pet but I feel like 1 child being equivalent to 3 cats is probably accurate enough.

cats can do most poo poo on their own even if there's 3 of them so nah

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Anne Whateley posted:

Wouldn't that be more of an issue with breasts? It seems like men are much more affected, even though compared to men, women have pounds and pounds of extra fat directly over their lungs.

Maybe, but the X chromosome is linked to immune function and having two of them is an advantage.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Anne Whateley posted:

Well, some.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Anne Whateley posted:

Most of the effect is from the abdominal fat getting in the way of the diaphragm as it attempts to contract downwards. A similar thing happens to pregnant women as the fetus grows. The effect is especially pronounced when supine, sitting them at 30-45 lets gravity kinda move the fat down and out of the way a bit.

As far as breasts, all the ones I've seen that could be big enough to weigh the chest down all kinda slide and hang down the sides of the torso as they lie in bed. Maybe if they had a bra on

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 29, 2020

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Lazyhound posted:

Maybe, but the X chromosome is linked to immune function and having two of them is an advantage.

Holy poo poo this is some stupid nonsense.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Lazyhound posted:

Where can I get additional X chromosome? The more you have the more you are immune right !

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Bleusilences posted:

Where can I get additional X chromosome? The more you have the more you are immune right !

Ask Jamie Lee Curtis

Edit: Google searches return a bunch of Snopes weird stuff now

Google Klinefelter syndrome

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 29, 2020

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

If this were the early 2000's, some unknown artist would do it and then music pirates would distribute MP3 copies crediting Weird Al.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Hadlock posted:

Ask Jamie Lee Curtis

Whoa, is there something Activia can't do?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

mycomancy posted:

Holy poo poo this is some stupid nonsense.

uh no it’s not, it’s well-established

https://www.nature.com/articles/nri2815 , etc.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Munin posted:

Have you got some more on that btw. All the recent articles about it seem to have been gripes about the WHO praising China for getting into a full lockdown relatively early and getting transmission under control. Also, a total misunderstanding of the criteria for calling something a pandemic (something which was in any case hampered by lovely testing globally).

In general I was reading a lot of butthurt about Western governments being called out for being slow and poo poo with their response while Asian countries were being praised.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying western countries haven't hosed things up in their own ways, and I'm not trying to get into some rant on China (beyond 'its government is totally lying about the numbers and made this worse than it needed to be out of their own authoritarian instincts, this has nothing to do with the average Chinese citizen'). It's just been a thing for a while now that China has been moving very aggressively to raise its proportionate influence over the UN via getting smaller countries that need aid to agree to support China's proposals and against anything negative toward them. Until the Coronavirus, that's mostly been limited to the older issues of what they've been doing to the Uyghurs, in Hong Kong, its belligerence toward and demanding of the non-recognition of Taiwan as an independent nation, the 5-Dash Line, etc etc etc.

However, with the covid-19 crisis, we've seen the WHO raised to a prominence it doesn't usually see, and as a result, China's influence over it as an organization has become a lot more obvious to people not usually paying attention as a result. WHO is literally just an office of the UN, so what you see happening in the UN happens in the WHO as well; the only real difference is that the WHO is made up of a mix of bureaucrats and medical professionals, so China is also able to play on that by threatening to refuse the WHO access to areas of Chinese state influence (and cut off the 30% or so of its funding that China supplies, which would result in an almost instant collapse of the entire organization, naturally) and the information provided by said areas on, what, nearly a quarter of the planet's population? Information they need to actually do their jobs, even if they weren't being influenced like this.

You don't really need any conspiracy theories to see what's been happening, given that they've been pretty drat blatant about it since this whole crisis began in Wuhan. It's insanely bad simply because it means the entire organization's credibility is compromised, and its credibility is the single most important weapon in its arsenal as an organization the world's nations and peoples need to be able to rely upon in times of crisis...like this.

It's hard to find a single political leader or nation that hasn't hosed things up in this disaster thus far. The closest we've probably seen to a good response has been South Korea, since the cult that caused its explosion of transmissions weren't actually in charge of anything (but being idiots), and, ironically...Taiwan, which, of course, the WHO isn't able to acknowledge because of the 'pressure' they feel from China. Not being able to point to Taiwan publicly and loudly is directly contrary to what the WHO *should* be doing right now, and that's enough of a compromising of their mission in and of itself to condemn the way things are, right there.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Anyone else watching TV and thinking anxiously that people are standing way too close together?

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Beachcomber posted:

Anyone else watching TV and thinking anxiously that people are standing way too close together?

When the news is on, yeah

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Anne Whateley posted:

Men tend to build up more visceral fat around their organs

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rime posted:

This is fine and not at all indicative that the most dangerous authoritarian regime of our era has compromised a global agency and turned it into a propaganda vehicle. To believe otherwise would be wrongthink! :downs:

I don't see what this has to do with Trump

Also lol at anyone who hasn't already realized that the WHO is complicit member in spreading CCP propaganda, that has been obvious since January

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Here's something that has to do with trump

stolen from Nate Silver

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 29, 2020

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Lazyhound posted:

uh no it’s not, it’s well-established

https://www.nature.com/articles/nri2815 , etc.

If you'd read the article you linked, you'd realize that immunogenetics is a fuckton more complex than "hurr durr more X chromosomes is better! :downs:"

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

mycomancy posted:

If you'd read the article you linked, you'd realize that immunogenetics is a fuckton more complex than "hurr durr more X chromosomes is better! :downs:"

Yes, but my point that women tend to have more robust immune responses holds.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Goons. All joking aside I feel like this is the end of the world. I feel very anxious. Only bad poo poo gets posted here and online. It’s like no good news at all.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

It's a huge risk factor for respiratory illness mortality. All that blubber crowds and weighs down on your lungs, reducing your effective lung capacity. Not only that, but the excess tissue consumes oxygen as well, leaving less for other organs.

And none of the reports seem to mention the prevalence of obesity in their populations :negative:

Yeah, my brother is an EMT/fireman and always warns about not getting fat :)
Not only because they destroy their back carrying fat people on stretchers down narrow staircases,
but he saw some people die on operating tables from otherwise fairly easily treated problems because doctors couldn't get to whatever it was in time because it was hidden below layers of fat.

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

EimiYoshikawa posted:

It's hard to find a single political leader or nation that hasn't hosed things up in this disaster thus far.

The world is being kicked around by authoritarian Chinese leaders, a mobster US leader, bloodthirsty Sunni's, vengeful Shia, you name it, all of whom are under threat from some of the others. Outright lies have been shouted at each other at a high volume over the last years, massive propaganda and deception programs are active.

How can anybody expect an effective cooperation between those parties.

All the errors that are made are a logical consequence of the political configuration.

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

Piggy Smalls posted:

It’s like no good news at all.

Have you not read about the clean air?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

poverty goat posted:

Here's something that has to do with trump

stolen from Nate Silver

We can spin this a few ways:

"Complete morons are more likely to spread the virus, who knew! "

"The same culture of deep unacknowledged fear for their own day to day welfare and economic survival, which lead to the election of Trump, encourages a culture of bravado and belief that the Virus is blown vastly out of proportion - and lifestyle decisions along with it. To react otherwise would admit that their situation has become unsustainable due to forces outside of their control, and give in to that fear of losing everything."

"LOL, those spring break parties are going to kill us all. "

These of course may not be mutually exclusive interpretations.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Mox Hombre posted:

yeah just don't get sucked into that feeling I guess, imagine you're the main character and not some random npc who dies and leaves behind a lovely diary and 2 nuka cola caps

wow rude that diary meant a lot to me

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Piggy Smalls posted:

Goons. All joking aside I feel like this is the end of the world. I feel very anxious. Only bad poo poo gets posted here and online. It’s like no good news at all.

poverty goat posted:

The news is only going to get worse every day for the next 3- 18 months. Dedicate a small piece of the day to getting up to date on the latest virus developments, and then just don't let yourself turn on a news channel or navigate to a news website or anything with a news ticker for the rest of the day. I read the news and maybe watch the latest update from the wise british doctor nurse on youtube in the morning and then that's it for the day if I can help it other than the dank memes and maybe a relevant press conference. Nothing is really happening on an hourly basis, and nothing they say is going to change your plans with regard to sheltering at home- it's just going to make you more depressed and anxious. Do literally anything else. Make bread, wash dogs, cook dumb elaborate food you normally wouldn't bother with, clean your room, learn to knit, read a book, play videogame. Call your family, friends and neighbors and make sure everyone is doing ok. Even day drinking is probably better for your health and well-being than consuming a constant drip of human misery for the next year.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Piggy Smalls posted:

I actually feel quite anxious all the time now too buddy.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

I had a panic attack thinking that the virus might be able to hijack pollen for a ride, seems I was overthinking it.

quick edit: This is what started my train of though: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/18/coronavirus-lives-for-hours-in-air-particles-and-days-on-surfaces-new-us-study-shows.html

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Bleusilences posted:

I had a panic attack thinking that the virus might be able to hijack pollen for a ride, seems I was overthinking it.

quick edit: This is what started my train of though: https://www.economist.com/science-and-technology/2020/03/26/airborne-particles-may-be-assisting-the-spread-of-sars-cov-2

The virus hijacked two pollens and flew them into my nose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Catch a ride then?