Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying western countries haven't hosed things up in their own ways, and I'm not trying to get into some rant on China (beyond 'its government is totally lying about the numbers and made this worse than it needed to be out of their own authoritarian instincts, this has nothing to do with the average Chinese citizen'). It's just been a thing for a while now that China has been moving very aggressively to raise its proportionate influence over the UN via getting smaller countries that need aid to agree to support China's proposals and against anything negative toward them. Until the Coronavirus, that's mostly been limited to the older issues of what they've been doing to the Uyghurs, in Hong Kong, its belligerence toward and demanding of the non-recognition of Taiwan as an independent nation, the 5-Dash Line, etc etc etc.

However, with the covid-19 crisis, we've seen the WHO raised to a prominence it doesn't usually see, and as a result, China's influence over it as an organization has become a lot more obvious to people not usually paying attention as a result. WHO is literally just an office of the UN, so what you see happening in the UN happens in the WHO as well; the only real difference is that the WHO is made up of a mix of bureaucrats and medical professionals, so China is also able to play on that by threatening to refuse the WHO access to areas of Chinese state influence (and cut off the 30% or so of its funding that China supplies, which would result in an almost instant collapse of the entire organization, naturally) and the information provided by said areas on, what, nearly a quarter of the planet's population? Information they need to actually do their jobs, even if they weren't being influenced like this.

You don't really need any conspiracy theories to see what's been happening, given that they've been pretty drat blatant about it since this whole crisis began in Wuhan. It's insanely bad simply because it means the entire organization's credibility is compromised, and its credibility is the single most important weapon in its arsenal as an organization the world's nations and peoples need to be able to rely upon in times of crisis...like this.

It's hard to find a single political leader or nation that hasn't hosed things up in this disaster thus far. The closest we've probably seen to a good response has been South Korea, since the cult that caused its explosion of transmissions weren't actually in charge of anything (but being idiots), and, ironically...Taiwan, which, of course, the WHO isn't able to acknowledge because of the 'pressure' they feel from China. Not being able to point to Taiwan publicly and loudly is directly contrary to what the WHO *should* be doing right now, and that's enough of a compromising of their mission in and of itself to condemn the way things are, right there.

China most likely isn't "totally lying about the numbers". I am sure they are covering up a lot of horror stories and that the way they did things led to a lot more collateral damage than South Korea's approach. But, I think that the total disbelief that they couldn't have got this thing under control is unwarranted and I am suspicious of the people pushing that narrative. China, South Korea, et al getting it under control is an indictment of the poor response in the West and a lot of people seem to be keen to minimize that by screaming about how evil the Chinese regime is (which it is, but is tangential to the topic of the epidemic control success) and sweeping SK, Taiwan etc under the carpet.

China did do their usual bad news lockdown routine at the start but once they started getting more solid data they were pretty quick to act based on nothing more than an appreciation of how bad it could get. Arguing that they should have been quicker rings hollow when the rest of the world, some Asian countries excepted, did gently caress and and are still mostly doing almost gently caress all.

In terms of China getting more influence in the UN that is a solid "duh!". China wants to be a global Hegemon, the US, the current global Hegemon, is systematically relinquishing its influence of the UN by undermining its processes, not living up to its funding obligations, is systematically reneging on its international obligations and agreements. Of course their influence is rising while the US' is cratering. Of course China is now getting the velvet glove treatment previously limited to the US and the countries it backed. That said I have seen no sign that the WHO statements have been in any way uniquely or extraordinarily compromised. I also mostly see that pushed by people who want to delegitimize the UN and international organizations altogether.

[edit] gently caress, what an awful page snipe. Have some Tom Waits reading poetry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHOHi5ueo0A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Munin posted:

China most likely isn't "totally lying about the numbers". I am sure they are covering up a lot of horror stories and that the way they did things led to a lot more collateral damage than South Korea's approach. But, I think that the total disbelief that they couldn't have got this thing under control is unwarranted and I am suspicious of the people pushing that narrative. China, South Korea, et al getting it under control is an indictment of the poor response in the West and a lot of people seem to be keen to minimize that by screaming about how evil the Chinese regime is (which it is, but is tangential to the topic of the epidemic control success) and sweeping SK, Taiwan etc under the carpet.

China did do their usual bad news lockdown routine at the start but once they started getting more solid data they were pretty quick to act based on nothing more than an appreciation of how bad it could get. Arguing that they should have been quicker rings hollow when the rest of the world, some Asian countries excepted, did gently caress and and are still mostly doing almost gently caress all.

In terms of China getting more influence in the UN that is a solid "duh!". China wants to be a global Hegemon, the US, the current global Hegemon, is systematically relinquishing its influence of the UN by undermining its processes, not living up to its funding obligations, is systematically reneging on its international obligations and agreements. Of course their influence is rising while the US' is cratering. Of course China is now getting the velvet glove treatment previously limited to the US and the countries it backed. That said I have seen no sign that the WHO statements have been in any way uniquely or extraordinarily compromised. I also mostly see that pushed by people who want to delegitimize the UN and international organizations altogether.

[edit] gently caress, what an awful page snipe. Have some Tom Waits reading poetry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHOHi5ueo0A

:hmmyes:

So we should believe at face value that they've had zero new cases in weeks and their quadratic model just hit a wall of the virus vanishing because Xi was so good at his job?

I'll ascribe a lot of power and control to China but magic is, unfortunately, still not a thing in real life.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

The virus hijacked two pollens and flew them into my nose

The second nostril has been clogged!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Munin posted:

how much honey are you getting from Xi

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Munin posted:

Wow it sounds like the unnamed country can only salivate!

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
At what point is everyone going to start going on cruises again? I can't wait to see the fjords

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Dear Watson posted:

At what point is everyone going to start going on cruises again? I can't wait to see the fjords

Hopefully never I hope the cruise industry perishes

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

I dont mind small cruise ship but what the industry has produced is just ridiculous.

Bleusilences fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 29, 2020

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cruise is the best way to see Alaska/glaciers imo

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Rime posted:

:hmmyes:

So we should believe at face value that they've had zero new cases in weeks and their quadratic model just hit a wall of the virus vanishing because Xi was so good at his job?

I'll ascribe a lot of power and control to China but magic is, unfortunately, still not a thing in real life.

Their numbers are probably massaged. Given the strong incentive operating at all levels to always be reporting success I'd be surprised if they weren't. The broad narrative that they got the outbreak under control for now is not something I see any reason to doubt.

They are now easing restrictions so what to look out for now is whether they will get another flareup that they'll have to admit to in a week or two from now.

Are you arguing that their response was ineffective and that the disease is ravaging their countryside right now and that hundreds of thousands are dying and this is all being successfully covered up?

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I can vouch for this!

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Guys what happens to america if China wins the bid to be the global reserve currency

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Piggy Smalls posted:

Goons. All joking aside I feel like this is the end of the world. I feel very anxious. Only bad poo poo gets posted here and online. It’s like no good news at all.

We're all going to have a bad couple years, but this isn't a civilization ending threat. We've been having epidemics on the regular since the dawn of civilization. We got this.

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

Munin posted:

Their numbers are probably massaged. Given the strong incentive operating at all levels to always be reporting success I'd be surprised if they weren't. The broad narrative that they got the outbreak under control for now is not something I see any reason to doubt.

They are now easing restrictions so what to look out for now is whether they will get another flareup that they'll have to admit to in a week or two from now.

Are you arguing that their response was ineffective and that the disease is ravaging their countryside right now and that hundreds of thousands are dying and this is all being successfully covered up?

What most Americans are arguing that China is evil.

Because in times of hardship you have to blame someone.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Chomp8645 posted:

Wow it sounds like the unnamed country can only salivate!

If you are alluding to Taiwan cases are picking up there right now according to the compilation by Hopkins and frankly I have not read anything about their response. The reporting has focused on the situation elsewhere.

I also didn't call out Japan despite their low numbers and solid looking trajectory since they seem to have gotten more lucky so far as opposed to having an exemplary response.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Those are temporary geographic features anyways.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

The Daily Mail fuckin sucks so no link but here's the story:

Did Michel Barnier infect Boris Johnson? The EU's Brexit negotiator could be Downing Street's 'Patient Zero' after Brussels meeting

EU’s Brexit negotiator may have 'passed virus' into Westminster's inner circle
Michel Barnier could be Downing Street's 'Patient Zero', according to one theory
Suspicion has fallen on a meeting in Brussels between him and David Frost

quote:

Could this be the ultimate revenge for Brexit? The coronavrius that has laid Boris Johnson low may have passed into Westminster’s inner circle via the EU’s chief Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier, according to one theory.

The Mail on Sunday has traced connections between those known to have the virus in an attempt to identify Downing Street’s possible ‘Patient Zero’ – the first person in a community to become infected.

And suspicion has fallen on a meeting in Brussels on March 5 between Mr Barnier and David Frost, the UK’s chief negotiator, which opened the first round of talks on a post-Brexit trade deal.

Within the 14-day maximum incubation period, Mr Barnier announced on March 19 that he had tested positive for coronavirus, writing on Twitter: ‘I am following all the necessary instructions, as is my team.’

The following day, Downing Street revealed that Mr Frost had entered self-isolation after experiencing ‘mild symptoms’, becoming the first member of the Prime Minister’s inner circle thought to have become infected.

Soon afterward, other top officials began working from home, including Whitehall enforcer Helen MacNamara.

Two days after first feeling unwell – and a day after a test confirmed that he had contracted coronavirus – Mr Johnson was yesterday running the country from self-isolation in his Downing Street flat.

Aides and advisers gathered in the Cabinet room for a series of video conferences with Mr Johnson, including the morning ‘Covid-19 war committee’, where the latest NHS data and international comparisons are shared.

Similar meetings of the war committee will take place tomorrow morning and throughout next week – assuming Mr Johnson continues to suffer only mild symptoms.

After the PM revealed his diagnosis, sparking a ‘stunned atmospshere’ among Westminster aides who learned the news only moments before it was made public, Health Secretary Matt Hancock tested positive for the virus on Friday, with Chief Medical Officer Chris Whitty then announcing he, too, had symptoms.

Yesterday Scotland Secretary Alister Jack became the third Cabinet member to start self-isolating after developing a mild temperature and a cough.

This newspaper understands that Mr Johnson is refusing to countenance the idea of stepping aside to let Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab take temporary charge on the grounds that he feels well enough to work and has no underlying health conditions.

But sources say that although Mr Johnson is trying to maintain his ‘usual sunny self’, he is blighted by a dry cough.

He is continuing to fulfil his duties, speaking on Friday evening to Donald Trump. It is understood the Prime Minister asked for help acquiring more ventilators, while Mr Trump commiserated with Mr Johnson during ‘one-on-one time’, with no aides listening.

The last Cabinet meeting to take place in person was March 17, meaning attendees could have contracted the virus without yet showing symptoms.

Last Tuesday’s meeting took place via video conference with only Mr Johnson, Mr Hancock, Professor Whitty and Cabinet Secretary Sir Mark Sedwill – the country’s most senior civil servant – attending in person.

Until last week – in violation of the Government’s own social distancing rules – the emergency Cobra meetings on Covid-19 were held in person, with key Ministers crammed around a single table.

Other potential ‘Patient Zeros’ include Prince Charles and junior Health Minister Nadine Dorries.

Mr Johnson encountered the Prince at a Commonwealth Service at Westminster Abbey on March 9 and the pair engaged in animated conversation, while Mrs Dorries, the first MP to test positive for Covid-19, attended a Downing Street reception with the Prime Minister at the start of the month.

There is also concern about a potential threat to the health of Commons Speaker Lindsay Hoyle, a diabetic who started self-isolating last week as a precaution.

ed lol that they include he talked to the queen on the phone

greazeball fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 29, 2020

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Facebook Aunt posted:

We're all going to have a bad couple years, but this isn't a civilization ending threat. We've been having epidemics on the regular since the dawn of civilization. We got this.

I would argue that the threat isn't the epidemic but rather the political divide that is deepening between the US, half its population, and the rest of the world

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Munin posted:

No I'm arguing it's already burned itself out in China for now and the coverup was the total casualties over the past two months. There's probably a few hundred straggling fatalities a day at best in the big cities but they're going unreported because they have to match the party line: the virus is fully extinguished!

They won't admit a second flare up, just as they won't admit how many died or that the virus is still active in the country at all. Despite it being pretty loving obvious it didn't disappear overnight after spreading in a country of 1.4 Billion for months.

Since there is now zero independent oversight in the country, who the gently caress knows. Unfortunately given how records are dealt with in 2020, we will absolutely never know the true scale even when the CCP collapses. I know I'm not going to be one of you folks happily bagholding blind faith in the world's only fully integrated surveillance state - which was already happily liquidating a minority and pretending otherwise before this broke out.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Piggy Smalls posted:

Goons. All joking aside I feel like this is the end of the world. I feel very anxious. Only bad poo poo gets posted here and online. It’s like no good news at all.
There's always some good news somewhere. About 2 weeks ago there was a promising article in the NEJM about HIV treatment. HIV treatment is already a pretty amazing success story compared to the disease's early status as a death sentence. Currently it requires patients to consistently take a daily 3-drug combination, but if they do so they can suppress their viral count to zero and live a perfectly normal life. When the viral count stay at zero not only is their immune function normal, but their odds of transmitting the virus to others is also near zero. New treatment protocols of HIV infected patients now focuses on mundane topics like "what is the best cholesterol medication?" because we've gotten such a good grasp on how to prevent HIV from progressing to AIDS.

The main difficulty currently is patients continuing to take the drug every day so that the viral count remains completely suppressed. Even temporary interruptions run the risk of HIV starting to copy itself or even worse the virus potentially developing resistance to one or more of the drugs being used. Just now they've developed and studied a long acting 2-drug injection that HIV patients only need to receive every 4 weeks to have the same level of efficacy as the 3 drug daily pill(s). HIV now being perfectly manageable with an injection every 28 days is pretty amazing.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

greazeball posted:

The Daily Mail fuckin sucks so no link but here's the story:

all the arrows are pointing away from Borris, is that telling me he is the source of covid?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Dear Watson posted:

all the arrows are pointing away from Borris, is that telling me he is the source of covid?

what do you think the purpose of the coronavirus press conference was?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lube banjo posted:

I would argue that the threat isn't the epidemic but rather the political divide that is deepening between the US, half its population, and the rest of the world

It's definitely going to diminish the US role in he world... But it's not going to have a major cultural effect, I would say. The interconnectedness of cultures is going to survive.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Dear Watson posted:

I'd say he is more like the essence of covid.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

Rutibex posted:

i totally called this. the reason for the super deadly mortality rate in the western world is obesity

Goons are hosed, in other words.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

https://www.kentucky.com/news/business/article241590061.html

excerpts:

quote:

Swapping bourbon for hand sanitizer, more Kentucky distilleries join fight against coronavirus

Sazerac, which says it is the largest producer of distilled spirits in North America, announced Friday that Franklin County-based Buffalo Trace had kicked off the company’s production with its initial run of sanitizer on Friday.

The company said it is making sanitizer for “some of the world’s largest organizations in healthcare, government, military, retail, distribution, airline, pharmacy, and banking industries.”

Dueling Barrels Brewery & Distillery, a Pikeville distiller operated by Alltech, has also begun producing sanitizer that will be donated to local organizations, the company said in a news release. The company’s mainstay products include craft beer and Kentucky moonshine.

Dueling Barrels planned to distribute its first batch of sanitizer to first responders on Friday.

“Dueling Barrels’ sister distillery, Lexington Brewing & Distilling Co., is also distributing hand sanitizer and will be supporting the effort in Pikeville as both locations work to ramp up production,” the release stated. “Team members are working with city leaders to identify organizations in need. The next batch will be produced and delivered next week.”

Old Forester, Woodford Reserve, Rabbit Hole Distillery and Wilderness Trail Distillery in Danville are among other Kentucky distilleries that have been making hand sanitizer to help in the fight against COVID-19.

And they just bottle the poo poo up in loving pint and handle bottles.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

https://twitter.com/JesseLehrich/status/1244053944554401800

fema seems to be only delivering supplies to states the president likes while ignoring states he doesn't, so i guess we get to see irl the president kill someone on fifth avenue

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Piggy Smalls posted:

It's easier if you allow yourself to accept that none of us were actually promised a good life or a good world; that our lot has always been to suffer in life and then die.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Chief McHeath posted:

https://www.kentucky.com/news/business/article241590061.html

excerpts:

And they just bottle the poo poo up in loving pint and handle bottles.

You have to hope someone doesn't screw up the labeling.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Rime posted:

No I'm arguing it's already burned itself out in China for now and the coverup was the total casualties over the past two months. There's probably a few hundred straggling fatalities a day at best in the big cities but they're going unreported because they have to match the party line: the virus is fully extinguished!

I broadly agree with that but would quibble about the scale. I don't think the numbers they released are a total fantasy, which a few hundred lingering cases for each of their major cities would imply. If it ever had got to that point then it probably would have ended uncontainable along the way and the peak fatalities would have been high enough to make a mockery of the internal narrative.

Them kicking off the lockdown when there were only 30 official casualties did sharply limit the peak. That's why early intervention was so important in South Korea as well and the lack of it so damaging to Italy and Spain (and soon I expect for the US as well). China generally following WHO advice and locking down early was good, the US and most of the rest of the world dilly-dallying as the WHO was saying strong action now would mean the disease would still be containable before it became pandemic (and soon potentially endemic) was very bad.

Rime posted:

They won't admit a second flare up, just as they won't admit how many died or that the virus is still active in the country at all. Despite it being pretty loving obvious it didn't disappear overnight after spreading in a country of 1.4 Billion for months.

Since there is now zero independent oversight in the country, who the gently caress knows. Unfortunately given how records are dealt with in 2020, we will absolutely never know the true scale even when the CCP collapses. I know I'm not going to be one of you folks happily bagholding blind faith in the world's only fully integrated surveillance state - which was already happily liquidating a minority and pretending otherwise before this broke out.

They weren't able to cover up the outbreak. They weren't able to cover up the Hubei and its neighboring jurisdiction clashing when they started lifting the lockdown and Hubei's neighbors didn't want people from Hubei to enter. They weren't able to cover up what happened to the Uighur's and how extensive and extreme their "re-education program" of them is. They won't be able to suppress the news of a second flare up and the actions they will need to take to suppress it again.

Xi, Winnie the Pooh, or however you care to call him, is a monster. His power grab and consolidation of power in China is one of the most worrying recent geopolitical developments I can think of. China's territorial claims are farcical, the treatment of their neighbors largely abominable, and the global response to all this largely toothless. The situation with Taiwan being a prime exemplar of all this.

[edit] China RE Covid is a bit like: https://lifestyle.clickhole.com/heartbreaking-the-worst-person-you-know-just-made-a-gr-1825121606

Munin fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 29, 2020

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/KeatonSmetana/status/1244003084059246592?s=20

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

i am harry posted:

It's easier if you allow yourself to accept that none of us were actually promised a good life or a good world; that our lot has always been to suffer in life and then die.

Gonna be fun when new Yorkers burn down trump tower in a couple of weeks.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1244075859834802177

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

seems to me the ccp's plan is to simply declare china cured, then when a massive flareup is announced in two weeks they declare it MUST have come from the USA seeing as how china was cured, proving the suspicions they had "all along"

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Excelzior posted:

seems to me the ccp's plan is to simply declare china cured, then when a massive flareup is announced in two weeks they declare it MUST have come from the USA seeing as how china was cured, proving the suspicions they had "all along"

Superpowers playing 5th dimensional chess with swamp lung is so drat human

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Meanwhile I just had some group video chats with friends and family today, drank some beer with my wife, played some video games with the daughter, smoked some weed in the garage, played some Animal Crossing in the basement, and that's human too and the type that will survive this thing

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Finally some good news for New York

https://mobile.twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1244083445732716546

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

is allergie? actualy is corona

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

Piggy Smalls posted:

There should be a very clear delineation between your worldview and comments posted on the general bullshit internet forum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Munin posted:

China has had years to get this under control, they knew exactly what the issues were that were causing viruses like this to get out and they didn't care to fix it. China is lying about its infections and death toll and you can't convince me otherwise.