Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

so do farts turn you on or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
dont Yuck my yum

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Imagine taking pride in understanding Prometheus

it's more of a perenial curse. like a modern day cassandra, alas.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of movies I watched Brain Damage last night and it was good, not as good as basket case but the boy was hotter.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Is CineD making poo poo up whole cloth in a vain attempt to ape Zizek sadder, is C-Spam being incapable of doing a basic reading... of what a creator said to explicitly describe their own creation sadder, or is Gnarlicious standing outside of the special ed class, yelling burns at the pebbled glass of the closed window, sadder?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Trick question. I’m sadder. Sadder and scareder all the time. *~BoOm~*

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m cool actually

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
By far the funniest part about SMG is not the sanctimonious tone he takes talking down to toy collector types about the themes of children’s movies, it’s the fact he has been doing it for almost a decade and has a fan club of full grown adults who go all breathlessly post about how they noticed the ideology in Barney or whatever.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It’s like a whole club of people who have posted millions of words that amount to “MGS is explicitly political you fool!”

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Saw three movies recently:

Hereditary's car crash scene and its aftermath was wild, but as a dumb atheist I can't take the supernatural parts seriously.

Fantastic Planet is a delightfully trippy class war cartoon but its ending is so disappointing I suspect it was censored.

Idiocracy LOL

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
here's a hot take: people who like Idiocracy voted for Hillary

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Idiocracy has gone all the way from box office flop to secret gem to overrated and back to underrated again

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020

Over Easy posted:

one funny thing about cameron is if you watch any of his movies up through true lies with the commentary, he is constantly observing the amazing practical effects and saying "yeah, we would just CGI that now" and not in a wistful kind of sad way, in like a "I am sure glad we don't have to do smart artful poo poo like that anymore and we can just shovel this poo poo out to you little SOBs" kind of way

he has a reputation of being a total control freak maniac and I think CGI has given him a perverse control over his films which have made them progressively shittier since the mid 90s.

on a semi-related note, I have been getting into collecting soundtracks on vinyl and I got Terminator 2 a few months back and it has been getting such an intense amount of play

the sound design on that movie is loving phenomenal and the way the composer used organic sounds distended through digital processors is masterful. Holds up incredibly well. Some of the most emotionally poignant film scoring outside ennio morricone

Terminator I, Aliens, The Abyss, and Terminator II are all classics. Everything afterwards is mediocre to bad IMO.

But man, correctly pointing out Aliens is a Vietnam parable sure does drive fans crazy. The jingoism and militarism in Aliens also illustrates the ethos of the Reagan era in which it was produced in.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

General Dog posted:

Idiocracy has gone all the way from box office flop to secret gem to overrated and back to underrated again

poo poo like Idiocracy is the dirt holding up a landfill.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

platzapS posted:

Fantastic Planet is a delightfully trippy class war cartoon but its ending is so disappointing I suspect it was censored.

Check out Belladonna of Sadness if you want another trippy af animated movie that deals with class. I think it even came around the same year as Fantastic Planet (1973?).

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I’m cool actually

Hm, and yet you post here... with us.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Wow you guys sure are movie geniuses, I never knew all these badass movies he secretly leftist themes

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

anyway i think aliens satirises the troops a little too but its in a slightly confused 1980s lib way. u got poo poo like hudson immediately going from over the top macho to a hilarious crying baby and at the end its up to the women to do poo poo right

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

I rewatched phantom menace with the chapo commentary for the first time in probably 20 years and i have to say lmfao what a fuckin turd. plot and dialog aimed at five year olds in front of early ps3 game backgrounds. reminded me of spy kids more than anything else. jar jar animates like xavier renegade angel

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Farm Frenzy posted:

I rewatched phantom menace with the chapo commentary for the first time in probably 20 years and i have to say lmfao what a fuckin turd. plot and dialog aimed at five year olds in front of early ps3 game backgrounds. reminded me of spy kids more than anything else. jar jar animates like xavier renegade angel

Spy Kids gave us this gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RFwyobtnKA

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

This scene is great, buscemi owns

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

the more i think about it the more i think the spy kids comparison is accurate. trilogies of extremely lovely early 2000s kids movies that people only remember fondly because the directors have b movie sensibilities and allowed five minutes of scenery chewing and shlock to slip through

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

mysterious frankie posted:

poo poo like Idiocracy is the dirt holding up a landfill.

Sometimes I just enjoy seeing the poor taken down a notch for once

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

General Dog posted:

Sometimes I just enjoy seeing the poor taken down a notch for once

They like fast food and sex and when they think it's wrong!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

General Dog posted:

love too make a pro-eugenics movie in the year 2006

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
can't believe people fell for that troll

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I sit here all night trying to think up good trolls and general dog just kramers in here and goes "yeah poor people suck lol" and people bite. im so angry

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

General Dog posted:

In Jim Cameron’s classic “Titanic”, you’ll notice that the rich people stay in nice rooms with windows and the poor people stay in dingy rooms with no windows that are physically and figuratively lower. Makes u think

honestly titanic is fairly underrated for its class commentary like yeah its as subtle as a sledgehammer but it very accurately portrays rich people as absolute dumbasses who are convinced of their superiority over the rabble solely because theyve memorized a bunch of nonsensical meaningless rules

like theres a great moment where the jackass rich guy whose trying to marry kate winslet bribes a guard to guarantee lifeboat seats and he gives this giant smirk and says i make my own luck as if he is a uniquely qualified genius for figuring out that you can use money to bribe people and not that this is an idea literally anyone in possession of a fuckton of money could come up with

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Farm Frenzy posted:

the more i think about it the more i think the spy kids comparison is accurate. trilogies of extremely lovely early 2000s kids movies that people only remember fondly because the directors have b movie sensibilities and allowed five minutes of scenery chewing and shlock to slip through

I mostly remember watching Spy Kids 3D and recognising it for being loving ridiculous at the time but also pretty funny and not quite as bad as most movies styled after video games

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
My favorite Titanic book was written by a survivor named Lawrence Beesley. Beesley gets on the boat and it's great he spends a bunch of time talking to cool people and eating. Then there's something confusing going on and he gets into a lifeboat. There's no crowd around, no desperation, nothing. There's some drama involved with the lowering of his lifeboat into the water but it's fine. Then the Titanic sinks and everyone in his lifeboat is okay and he's picked up by the Carpathia the next day. He has the most boring experience possible and he comes out of it completely unscathed.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

steven universe is the only piece of leftist media ever made

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

I have never seen steven universe, is it about workers taking control of the means of production in society?

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i ahve never watched it but its tjhe powerpuff girls but theyre all trans and have ptsd and every episode makes you cry.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
a bunch of gay warmachines raise a kid

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Farm Frenzy posted:

i ahve never watched it but its tjhe powerpuff girls but theyre all trans and have ptsd and every episode makes you cry.

Peanut President posted:

Both are correct

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The only good animated shows were made in the Soviet union and affiliated countries.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

steinrokkan posted:

The only good animated shows were made in the Soviet union and affiliated countries.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Peanut President posted:

Still funny that this description also applies to Transformers Animated with the genders swapped

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
The documentary Tiger King is insane because it's just a bunch of dumbass small business owners loving each other over and everyone else around them for like hours and hours of content in just the most insane ways possible. Like god drat the only person that didn't come off as a complete loving rear end in a top hat were a few of the park's workers and the libertarian guy who ran Joe's presidential campaign because he wanted a resume filler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

SunAndSpring posted:

The documentary Tiger King is insane because it's just a bunch of dumbass small business owners loving each other over and everyone else around them for like hours and hours of content in just the most insane ways possible. Like god drat the only person that didn't come off as a complete loving rear end in a top hat were a few of the park's workers and the libertarian guy who ran Joe's presidential campaign because he wanted a resume filler.

I really liked the reality tv producer guy who looks vaguely like tom waits and talks like a film noir protagonist