Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I haven't tried it myself because lol playing hots but the rework is a massive, massive, massive buff to Blender Build. If the enemy team doesn't keep Xul from engaging on them, he'll utterly dominate teamfights without even trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Did I read correctly that Corpse Explosion got removed entirely? gently caress that noise, I love that weird-rear end D2 callback ability and its weird-rear end explosion sound.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Did I read correctly that Corpse Explosion got removed entirely? gently caress that noise, I love that weird-rear end D2 callback ability and its weird-rear end explosion sound.

It's inbuilt to the skelly-boys now.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Got new Xul in a brawl and it was crazy. I could 1v3 with no problem.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

^
Just had the same experience. Just take W talents and walk into the enemy team - if they don't pile on CC, you'll take them apart without trying.

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

It's an innate feature of the skeletons now.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Basically get to the loading screen, look which side has a Xul.

A has Xul, B doesn't? Yay, A win!
B has Xul, A doesn't? Yay, B win!
A has Xul, B has Xul? Normal game!
A has no Xul, B has no Xul? Normal game!

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

What's this op xul build? just w build?

edit: lol, 64 minute wait to log into bnet :psyduck:

appropriatemetaphor fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 18, 2020

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

W build being a loving monster and his Q summoning skeletons on hitting heroes and his E forcing all active skeletons to focus the rooted target and the massive, massive buff to Shade that made it only increase the cooldown of Bone Armor by 10 seconds.

Among other things.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
So Xul rework is gonna get a nerf then you figure?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I'unno. I don't really play HOTS anymore, so I couldn't tell you how it's impacted the meta. I can say that Xul has needed a substantial buff or rework for a while because he was in such a weird spot for so long. However, even with these changes, I can pretty much guarantee that the only teams he's going to be rolling are the ones that don't have any counters to him. If I had to hazard a guess, Johanna is probably going to get more popular as she's the only Tank off of the top of my head that can instantly and reliably shut down Xul's Cursed Strikes.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I played a game for the first time in about 2 years and Deathwing is 15,000 gold? Didn't he come out like, 4 months ago? :psyduck:

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Cuntellectual posted:

I played a game for the first time in about 2 years and Deathwing is 15,000 gold? Didn't he come out like, 4 months ago? :psyduck:

Initially he was 20,000 gold. I believe they intended that he be the first Epic tier hero, though I think they backed off on actually doing that.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Kaal posted:

Initially he was 20,000 gold. I believe they intended that he be the first Epic tier hero, though I think they backed off on actually doing that.

I can't imagine why this game is on life support.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Look just because a new hero is really expensive and also gamebreakingly good when introduced, and kept that way for months .... nah I got nothing, it was stupid.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Is he still any good? He looks fun, I have enough gold and I can't imagine they'd bother adding any more heroes any time soon.

Also is there any visual difference between worldbreaker and destroyer form? I tried him in try mode and didnt see any. :v:

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Cuntellectual posted:

Is he still any good? He looks fun, I have enough gold and I can't imagine they'd bother adding any more heroes any time soon.

Also is there any visual difference between worldbreaker and destroyer form? I tried him in try mode and didnt see any. :v:

He's good, just not the apocalyptic juggernaut he was on launch. There is no visual distinction between forms.

Just be careful around people with percent damage and remember that your life is purely in your own hands.

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
Are they ever going to turn this toys event off? I thought it was supposed to end in March and we are getting closer to April now... Not that I am complaining because any event is better than no event but the other day I got a loot box with tons of Christmas skins and stuff in it and it made me feel kind of sad.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
theres like 1 guy left in the crew running hots, i think he just forgot to turn it off

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

it's not a leak if you post it on your own website you loving dorks

anyways next event is greek gods themed because the art team has been playing Hades and wanted to get in on that sweet olympian action

Kith fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Mar 19, 2020

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
I really like Greek mythology so it might be kinda neat. It'd be nice if they did something other than a few skins and a new theme for the board game though.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
If anyone else is playing this dumb dead game during the coronapocalypse, add me. Inhumanbot#1554

e: Finally got 15k gold. Deathwing seems kinda bad but super fun and hey that's what counts right?

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 20, 2020

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I am guessing you are on us servers?

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
You’ve just got to remember ranged stance Deathwing is kind of a trap, and spend the majority of your time in melee stance.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I think the issues with Deathwing is that he's tanky... But not that hard to kill since he has no escapes, bad sustain in-fight, bad CC and lack of healing from allies.

He's got good damage... But it's so cumbersome you're unlikely to land it, and it's not actually THAT much better than say, Sonya's or Artanis'. He demands coordination from your team, but suffers heavily from a coordinated enemy team. His talents are also comparatively bad since his base ability damage sucks and is only even notable because of the doubled effect against heroes, which means he's got difficulty swatting at creeps and his talents are basically half as effective as they say, damage wise.

He's very cool and I don't doubt he was busted at launch, but I think I'd place him as being straight up bad from what I've seen.

Once again though: Fun. :v:

Star posted:

I am guessing you are on us servers?

Yeah.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
https://twitter.com/BlizzHeroes/status/1241138506744786944

Cool I guess.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

a :flaccid: promotion for a :flaccid: game

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
actually that rules i don't have like 60% of the heroes and i'd like to dick around

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Oh yeah it definitely rules but like... why not make it permanent? HOTS was never at a point where it was so popular that keeping the heroes on lockdown resulted in profit. Just unlock all of them, forever. Sure, players will get a ton of easy loot boxes, but there's so much useless poo poo in them now that they're unlikely to get anything noteworthy.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

I literally just unlocked my last hero (Deathwing) this week. Very timely! But really, good for them. It's a token offer, but gestures matter.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

On the other hand, it just worsened HOTS' tendency of releasing massively buffed heroes, since now every single game is just Xul and Deathwing versus munchkins. These heroes shouldn't be out of PTR and it really shows when every single player has access to them.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Playing KTZ against an entire team who can ignore rooting effects. Wonderful.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Ryuujin posted:

I think I would have rather had some updates increasing number of skeletons, letting them last longer and do more, and maybe with some talents to actually buff the skeletons.

New Xul plays fine, he is a good bruiser for 1v1 offlane, and his talent tree has multiple viable choices. But HotS heroes are supposed to "feel like" the character they are based on, and I wish they went whole ham with the most memorable D2 necromancer build. The lagomancer, surrounded by a hurricane of 30+ skeletons, chuckin' curses and explodin' corpses. I have played many summoner class characters in action RPGS since Diablo II, but nothing compares to summon necro. It's a dragon I have chased for years. Nothing feels as good to play.

I love that they included multiple necromancer curses (with the original cast sound effects!!) into the talent tree. It's great that corpse explosion is a baseline trait. But I really wish they tuned the numbers around so that Xul could have many more minions, even if that means they are individually weaker.

It would shoehorn him into only being good against teams that lack AoE damage, and for a long time now devs have stated they want to move away from the idea of "summoner" heroes that create minions. I understand why Xul is the way he is, but I am still disappointed.

edit: if they increased # of skeletons and kept the corpse explosion damage the same, he would become a powerful lane pusher that is balanced by his lack of presence in objective teamfights where there are no minions to spawn a skeleton. This is closer to his original design, back when towers and forts and keeps had limited ammo. He is no stronger in a teamfight, but if you ignore his lane he could punish you with a hard and fast push.

WITCHCRAFT fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Mar 26, 2020

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Hitting enemy heroes with any scythe will spawn a skelly.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
They'd probably argue that too many summons is toxic.

In their dead, non competitive Moba. Where heroes like Mal'ganis still exist.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

They supposedly wanted to cut back on summon-heavy characters because they make the game too complicated to follow.

In the simplest MOBA on the market. Where heroes like Samuro, Nova, and Tracer exist.

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:
I don't understand that aspect of it (just "complexity"). However, I do get the issue with leaving too much of a character in the hands of automatically value-generating summons. You run into the issue of having to balance for a very wide swathe of player skill levels. Make the summons too strong or important and you could end up having a character that skews lower skill levels completely.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Yes and no. Fixing the problem is as simple as focusing any summon-oriented design on quantity rather than quality - nearly every Hero in HOTS has some form of wave-clear mechanics, so large amounts of weak enemies can be countered (or at least handled) by the majority of the roster by design.

Summon-oriented characters become a problem when they start focusing on quality over quantity. Zagara is a great example - it's often very difficult (even at high levels of play) to properly prioritize whether you should be attacking Zagara or the Hydralisk: if you choose Zagara then the Hydralisk will usually be free to continue hitting you, and the opposite is true as well. On top of that, there's also not a lot of clear counters to powerful individual summons like the Hydralisk from an overall design standpoint - almost all of the powerful single-target damage effects are oriented towards being used on Heroic targets. Using one on a Summon is either overkill, an outright waste, or doesn't deal enough damage because it relies on "increased damage vs Heroes" and Summons are excluded. As a result of all these factors coming together, Zagara rolls low-skill games hard.

For contrast, an example of summons being done correctly is Azmodan's Demonic Invasion. It has always been a very niche ability because of how vulnerable the gribblies it summons are to AoE damage, but it was also King Shitkicker Supreme when it came to ripping apart structures or surrounded Heroes. Dealing with it was simple, but using it properly won games.

The moral of the story is that HOTS's design/balance team are constantly working on separate wavelengths and the result is that HOTS is a mess of inconsistent and contradictory directions. Probably my favorite example of this is the team pledging to move away from "hard counter" characters that caused matches to be "won at draft" and then not actually rolling back any of the "hard counter" designs and/or releasing incredibly polarized characters like Deathwing that are overpowering when uncountered and borderline worthless when they are.

Kith fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 29, 2020

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Make Abathur Monstrosity count as a Hero for effects, you cowards.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Shockeh posted:

Make Abathur Monstrosity count as a Hero for effects, you cowards.

Personally I'm a firm believer that making Deathwing count as both a Hero and a Monster would go a long ways towards balancing him.

Also speaking of cowards: They should bring back Haunted Mines. Balance is clearly unimportant, and it was a fun and different map.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Kaal posted:

Personally I'm a firm believer that making Deathwing count as both a Hero and a Monster would go a long ways towards balancing him.

Also speaking of cowards: They should bring back Haunted Mines. Balance is clearly unimportant, and it was a fun and different map.

Apparently Deathwing is straight up broken on Mines so it's probably not coming back :(