Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica

shovelbum posted:

We should abolish animal husbandry

Country girls make do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

shovelbum posted:

We should abolish animal husbandry and start to look at extirpating wild reservoirs of disease, we have suffered under the animal yoke long enough

Agreed, and we should look into giving the animals leadership roles, Island of Dr. Morea Style

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
And don't tell me there are no intelligent pigs around, I don' believe the lamestream media

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Thinkin bout those balls again

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

teardrop posted:

Country girls make do
Remember when Mike Huckabee tweeted about the remixed version of that meme with a country boy and some doodoo on the corn?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

i am harry posted:

Remember when Mike Huckabee tweeted about the remixed version of that meme with a country boy and some doodoo on the corn?

no but lol

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

i am harry posted:

It's not hell. The evolved parts of my being that depend on neuro chemical programming love this poo poo. I'm their father, I'm serving my life's purpose! And when all that dies down I smoke weed and post on SA.

However there is a conscious part of me who has had to resort to repeating himself slowly and clearly five times in a row if he has any hope of his 8 year old daughter hearing him and listening to him and remembering to not stomp up the stairs because her little sister fell asleep on the computer chair at 5pm after being awake for 12 loving hours. And another part of me finds it all hilarious in a sort of multi-personality shadenfreud fashion, and that's the perspective from which I'm sharing these details.

Meh it’s rona tangential

Burt Sexual fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 29, 2020

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

newegg has you covered, for a price

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Munin posted:

The point is that pigs are a well know animal reservoir of H1N1 and even when kept in good animal welfare standards close contact can lead to transmissions of novel virus strains between pigs and humans as occurred in 2009.

The difference is pigs are domesticated animals. they are not mixing out there with wild pigs catching stuff. they are not mixing with bats, geese, ducks, pangolins, etc in the pig pens (unlike wet markets).

people in china farm a lot of animals that are not quite domesticated, that still have wild cousins. this really helps with the spread of new viruses

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

wet markets and *gestures wildly at all this* are an important aspect of resisting US hegemony. I'm sure they've changed their ways and are now reporting the correct number of deaths caused by the virus they unleashed on the world

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
It's not even clear that the wet markets were the source of the original zoonosis. The earliest known cases of this in Hubei weren't connected to the wet market at all, and people living in rural China near bats have antibodies against SARS-like coronaviruses

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6178078/

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

haunted bong posted:

wow rude that diary meant a lot to me
:hmmyes: the diaries often contain the most insight

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

d0s posted:

wet markets and *gestures wildly at all this* are an important aspect of resisting US hegemony. I'm sure they've changed their ways and are now reporting the correct number of deaths caused by the virus they unleashed on the world

rofl

Nah, wet markets should be abolished for all sorts of reason and bush meat being higher risk in terms of spreading new and exotic diseases is one of them. But saying this particular pandemic is China's fault and they deserve the blame for it and hence should be held responsible due to the fact that they still have some operating is as stupid as billing Mexico for the 2009 H1N1 epidemic.

tractor fanatic posted:

It's not even clear that the wet markets were the source of the original zoonosis. The earliest known cases of this in Hubei weren't connected to the wet market at all, and people living in rural China near bats have antibodies against SARS-like coronaviruses

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6178078/

Well, and that too.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

:thunk:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Burt Sexual posted:

Has anything ever been generated out of a u.s poultry operation because holy poo poo
Based on various interviews I've listened to over the past few weeks with infectious disease experts, it seems like many of them are quite worried about poultry/avian flus. Some of those strains have crazy-high kill rates, like 30% for a 2013 outbreak of H7N9 in China; that's about the same as the death rate for confirmed cases of MERS. The one saving grace so far is that avian flu strains don't spread easily between humans. But influenzas are good at exchanging genetic information with other influenza strains, so a person or bird infected with more than one strain can potentially produce something monstrous if a high-kill strain has a baby with a high-human-transmissibility strain.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Luckily you need a large number of infected humans to act as petri dishes, and we have this virus under control so it won't have many opportunities to change. We should be a-ok with regards to mutation, I'm pretty sure.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Day 10, or something whose actually keeping count - out of unflavored sparkling water. my ejaculations are releasing only a sickly vapor. I've laundered everything in my house twice out of boredom. I went shopping for a track suit online (like Nic Cage wears in Kiss of Death) and the earliest deliveries are around May.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

anyone want to trade for a steam key of the new doom game

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i got 4 spare p100s which i coughed on while infected so lol

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

d0s posted:

anyone want to trade for a steam key of the new doom game

N95 is for poors I got the good stuff lol

Buying extra spraypainting respirators 6 months ago is paying dividends now!

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Zero VGS posted:

a 3M respirator is actually cheaper than 15 one day disposables and the filters can last up to 6 months in non-particulate heavy environments. Well, before the pandemic at any rate.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, i was talking about the respirator dealies bit i still have like 12 of those filter deals i bought october

feels a bit sad, don't want to donate them cuz infection

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Mandatory veganism now

Cool. We going to also go with mandatory limits on how many kids people can have?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

yeah I have a sealed MSA half mask and P100 filters but I'm saving that for after society collapses because it looks cooler

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

a 3M respirator is actually cheaper than 15 one day disposables and the filters can last up to 6 months in non-particulate heavy environments. Well, before the pandemic at any rate.

Yeah mine's been great, it has a comfortable seal and I wipe the whole thing down with 80% iso when I get home. I even already had a full polycarbonate face shield because I've always preferred them to safety googles, so I combo that up for the full sneeze-guard effect. Stops me from being able to touch my face or eyes too.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Eh I only have two pairs so I don't feel bad, I have to keep going out to grocery shop for my boomer parents who are hell-bent on deleting themselves if I don't.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 29, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bleusilences posted:

I had a panic attack thinking that the virus might be able to hijack pollen for a ride, seems I was overthinking it.

quick edit: This is what started my train of though: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/18/coronavirus-lives-for-hours-in-air-particles-and-days-on-surfaces-new-us-study-shows.html

SARS‐CoV‐2 has impressive virulence, but Andromeda Strain it is not.

Even on those infested cruise ships, the virus never got to some people.

If you practice good hygiene, wear any mask you can, and don’t expose yourself if you don’t have to, you have a good chance of beating it.

If it is ultimately going to affect eighty percent of the population, then, on average all you have to do is be more careful than four out of five people.

That, my friend, is a low bar.

Hold yourself to a higher bar and bend statistics to your benefit as hard as you can, and you will get through this.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
China lies about anything happening for over a month. Lies about the numbers for a couple weeks. Finally, admits it's bad and the numbers go up. Then they crater.

Yeah, makes sense. I believe it.

I mean, that totally fits with what we've seen everywhere else.

More likely: it spread all over the place and there is a lot more than China is letting on.

If you had to bet $$$ on it, which way do you go: China lying or China telling the truth?

Another thing: lot of people in China go to Macau just for the day. And there are a lot of people in China. It would take very very little for it to spread.

Believing the China story is like believing Japan barely got touched while they still had the Olympics going on. But now that the Olympics are gone the numbers are going up.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zero VGS posted:

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

bob dobbs is dead posted:

yeah, i was talking about the respirator dealies bit i still have like 12 of those filter deals i bought october

Respirators are great for protecting yourself, but take caution that they do little or nothing to protect others from an infected wearer.

This is one of several reasons that hospitals would rather have disposable N95 masks.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Platystemon posted:

Even on those infested cruise ships, the virus never got to some people.
E: Whoops, confused two different cruise ships.

The only way we'll know the true attack rate is to do a serology test on everyone. It's probably true though that not everyone got it.

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Mar 29, 2020

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I would loving love for everyone pearl clutching about wet markets to walk into any farmers market in the US that sells livestock.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

corgski posted:

I would loving love for everyone pearl clutching about wet markets to walk into any farmers market in the US that sells livestock.

Where the heck is that?

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Zugzwang posted:

"Some people," sure, but unfortunately the oft-quoted low attack rates from Diamond Princess are total horseshit because it turns out that 2/3 of those quarantined refused testing (at the encouragement of feds): https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Most-Grand-Princess-passengers-not-tested-for-15141731.php

You're confusing the Grand Princess with the Diamond Princess

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Burt Sexual posted:

Where the heck is that?

Here's one off the top of my head, but drat near any actual rural farmers market (not your hipster grocery store) is going to have at minimum a regular livestock auction.

https://www.rootsmarket.com/auctions.php

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

corgski posted:

I have. You can pet the baby cows and sometimes they try to suck on your fingers. Cows, pigs, chickens, sheep, goats.

Nowhere are they butchering them on site.

Edit: here's mine https://leesportmarket.com/

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

"[img posted:

https://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/titles/b5/66/00083909.0002.gif[/img]" post="503691271"]You're confusing the Grand Princess with the Diamond Princess

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

tractor fanatic posted:

You're confusing the Grand Princess with the Diamond Princess
Whoops, I sure was. :o:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

:nms: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Y4SFz_A-c :nms:

its just a farmers market bro

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Livestock auction is not a new thing :shrug:

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
People are reaaaaaallly stretching here with their comparisons and its hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

corgski posted:

What exactly do you think a farmer's market is?