Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

Okay, this makes the numbers that the game gives make a lot more sense since it's not always clear if something is being added or multiplied.

Another question: does anyone know if implants/upgrades like poison talons/knee spikes/power claws get used if you have a melee weapon equipped also, or does the person have to be bare-handed in order for them to be used? Seems like it would be the latter, but I haven't given it a try yet to find out.

afaik there's a random chance of them being used for each attack instead of your melee weapon. Seeing as they tend to be worse than actual weapons, they seem like a poor choice for a melee character. Better for giving a ranged pawn some ability to fight back when engaged up close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Anyone have, or know of on the workshop, any scenario setups that take the standard crashlanded build and just accelerate it? I am thinking of something that allowed me to jump start past the basic initial research (batteries, solar power, autodoors, gunsmithing, etc...) and give enough resources to build a solid starter base (bedrooms, kitchen, storage, a few workshops) without having to start small and harvest a ton manually. I don't have a lot of fun in the early game buildup and just want to jump forward to where I can be looking at the hi-tech/plasteel phase within half an hour.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

nessin posted:

Anyone have, or know of on the workshop, any scenario setups that take the standard crashlanded build and just accelerate it? I am thinking of something that allowed me to jump start past the basic initial research (batteries, solar power, autodoors, gunsmithing, etc...) and give enough resources to build a solid starter base (bedrooms, kitchen, storage, a few workshops) without having to start small and harvest a ton manually. I don't have a lot of fun in the early game buildup and just want to jump forward to where I can be looking at the hi-tech/plasteel phase within half an hour.

Have you checked out just cheating in the stuff you want to start with via the dev panel?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Cant you just adjust the starting scenario yourself and give yourself the resources and research.

You wouldn't even have to cheat poo poo in.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I don’t know of any offhand, but its fairly easy to create your own custom scenario with whatever starting resources and research you like. I took the Rich Explorer scenario and added some androids for labor and a bunch of resources, that worked well for an accelerated start.

Prepare Carefully lets you bring furniture too. Nothing stopping you if you want to bring a whole base to the Rim.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

nessin posted:

Check out Prepare Carefully on the workshop

it's not like a scenario or anything but combined with the devconsole you can just, essentially start out however you like.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

So monuments are just pointless structures after the quest finishes, right? I can deconstruct them and carry on constructing Novaroma?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Correct. Some monuments can be destroyed immediately, others must be protected for X days and you suffer a bad event if you don't. If you're set up to handle them, deliberately triggering the bad event by destroying the monument can be good, since you can get meat, prisoners, plasteel, etc. if the bad event is something like manhunters, human raiders, or mechanoids. The quest description will tell you if this specific monument has a protection condition.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

HiroProtagonist posted:

Tropical forests can go even higher. 170-something F average temperature in my current map, tops out over 190F.

edit: welp didn't take into account the heat wave. We're well past 220F now. At night.

I had been doing an android run for funsies. Not even androids can handle this.

Gently caress! Thats 104 Celcius. Thats over the boiling point of water! Everything alive should be boiling to death. The air would turn to steam!

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
How can I send an animal to attack an enemy? I've got an emu trained up to attack but it's master has the release command greyed out.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Have you ticked the "Follow master when drafted" option in the animals tab?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

HiroProtagonist posted:

Check out Prepare Carefully on the workshop

it's not like a scenario or anything but combined with the devconsole you can just, essentially start out however you like.

Vengarr posted:

I don’t know of any offhand, but its fairly easy to create your own custom scenario with whatever starting resources and research you like. I took the Rich Explorer scenario and added some androids for labor and a bunch of resources, that worked well for an accelerated start.

Prepare Carefully lets you bring furniture too. Nothing stopping you if you want to bring a whole base to the Rim.

Captain Monkey posted:

Have you checked out just cheating in the stuff you want to start with via the dev panel?

Telsa Cola posted:

Cant you just adjust the starting scenario yourself and give yourself the resources and research.

You wouldn't even have to cheat poo poo in.

I'm aware of all this, I was asking to see if someone had already made one up. Not only because I'm lazy but it's also useful to see what others consider an accelerated start that I may not have thought of or may have been creative in balancing it out.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Is there a way, mods or otherwise, to set up a "put out fires" zone that isn't a Home Area? I want my colonists to put out fires between my complex and my outer walls, but I don't want them running around cleaning dirt off the dirt.

Or is this just where I suck it up and lay down concrete everywhere?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Dirt doesn't get dirty except from vomit and blood. Flooring an area actually increases the cleaning it requires because you can track dirt onto concrete but not onto dirt.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Blood, coolant, vomit, bug guts and so on after a raid can get on dirt and then you have cleaners running around staring at every corpse ever and getting sad from it. I generally end up having to draw and redraw home zones down to the individual tiles on the edge of the base because of it. If there's a mod like described above that would be neat.

Oh also trails of blood etc going through crop lands. It's home zone so everyone fights fires but I really don't care if the corn fields are dirty.

Easiest way to me would be to program a separate zone for cleaning. Not a pawn restriction zone though. Roof zone, home zone, cleaning zone.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Do open doors count as free passage for raiders so they don't start attacking walls?

Yes, raiders can path through open doors.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

deep dish peat moss posted:

Is there a way, mods or otherwise, to set up a "put out fires" zone that isn't a Home Area? I want my colonists to put out fires between my complex and my outer walls, but I don't want them running around cleaning dirt off the dirt.

Kanos posted:

Dirt doesn't get dirty except from vomit and blood. Flooring an area actually increases the cleaning it requires because you can track dirt onto concrete but not onto dirt.

Specifically, you can pack the dirt to stop things growing on it and I believe it still counts as dirt for the purposes of cleaning. So make packed dirt firebreaks.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The easiest solution to "help my pawns are running around cleaning blood off dirt patches" is to just install the "rain washes away filth" mod, which should honestly be a vanilla feature.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Setting up a separate cleaning zone, turning off cleaning entirely and then manually having "cleaning days" when you crank cleaning up to highest priority and restrict all pawns to only the cleaning area until it's all done.

If there's a more elegant method I'm not able to come up with it, but that would be the way I would go about hitting all your particulars.

In reality I usual just opt for the latter out of laziness and general disinclination towards micro

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kanos posted:

The easiest solution to "help my pawns are running around cleaning blood off dirt patches" is to just install the "rain washes away filth" mod, which should honestly be a vanilla feature.

I think it does happen eventually by itself.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Install the Cleaning Area mod. Pawns will only clean inside the set cleaning area, so you can set the home zone for fire/repair as needed.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Cease to Hope posted:

Yes, raiders can path through open doors.

Cheers, that's good to know. Figured I'd use it so I could lock down the base in case of nasty manhunter packs earlygame.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Cheers, that's good to know. Figured I'd use it so I could lock down the base in case of nasty manhunter packs earlygame.

Make a choke with traps, that pulverizes both raiders and manhunters early on.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Kanos posted:

Doesn't help if it rains like twice a year though.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Black Griffon posted:

Doesn't help if it rains like twice a year though.

Sounds like you need to light enough fires to trigger the game's "rain if there's too much fire on the map" effect. :yeshaha:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Cease to Hope posted:

Make a choke with traps, that pulverizes both raiders and manhunters early on.

I kinda don't like using too many traps, I place a few around the entrance to thin out waves, but I like having a line of pawn defense rather than relying on traps and turrets.

As a bonus, it also skills up my pawns for when the inevitable sapper or drop-in raid comes.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Kanos posted:

Sounds like you need to light enough fires to trigger the game's "rain if there's too much fire on the map" effect. :yeshaha:

that's a solution that's very much in the spirit of Randy if nothing else

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Piell posted:

Install the Cleaning Area mod. Pawns will only clean inside the set cleaning area, so you can set the home zone for fire/repair as needed.

Welp looks like someone had the exact same thoughts I had, so consider that one problem solved.

In payment I offer this mod: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2038409475&searchtext=yayo+combat

I don't know that I'd install it because of the mechanics changes it makes but those animations are amazing and I'd install a pack that had just them alone without a second thought.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Piell posted:

This is exactly what I needed, thank you! My previous solution has been just cheating in a low tier android from Android Tiers, restricting them to inside the base, making them do nothing but clean and then turning off cleaning for everyone else :effort:

I also use the mod that lets me place dumpsters and trash cans that auto-clean in a radius around them but it takes a while to get to that research

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Are there mods to 1) make bills default to "Drop on the Ground"
2) Add a "smelt/break down at appropriate table" button onto items for those exceptions that escape my level of fucks when i set up smelter destruction bills.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
So because I'm getting weird stuck inside I started a new colony. Doing nothing special yet with 'em they got named Corona Kids and they live in Quarantine City.

Very first quest we get from Randy is for us to hold a prisoner for 16 days. Some noble is in a sex scandal and blah blah. The prisoner has the plague.

Of course I accept this, the Corona Kids mission is now clear. Aside from a large ICU gonna build a bigass prison. With it's own bigass ICU. I think we might need it.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

Tristesse posted:

So because I'm getting weird stuck inside I started a new colony. Doing nothing special yet with 'em they got named Corona Kids and they live in Quarantine City.

Very first quest we get from Randy is for us to hold a prisoner for 16 days. Some noble is in a sex scandal and blah blah. The prisoner has the plague.

Of course I accept this, the Corona Kids mission is now clear. Aside from a large ICU gonna build a bigass prison. With it's own bigass ICU. I think we might need it.

This is wildly inappropriate and you should mod in covid-19. You Blackheart.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
The mod exists, though even I feel that may be a step too far. My plague prisoner tried to jailbreak, and wound up getting her middle finger punched off for her efforts. This is some kind of metaphor and I can only hope art will be made referencing that moment.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

It's almost a shame that they can't be recovered to be placed on display.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
I already had my best researcher get the plague AND malaria at the same time. The game doesn't need more illnesses.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

I will be having bronto steaks for years.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Arrath posted:

Are there mods to 1) make bills default to "Drop on the Ground"
2) Add a "smelt/break down at appropriate table" button onto items for those exceptions that escape my level of fucks when i set up smelter destruction bills.

Better Workbench Management allows you to set bills to drop on floor by default. There was a mod that added buttons to items for smelting designations but it looks like it's not being updated for 1.1 (author has technical issues).

isndl fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 30, 2020

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

jokes posted:

You can manually force them to level up shooting with some creative construction.

Put an animal, like a rat, in a 1x1 allowable area in the dark behind cover and get a guy on smoke leaf to shoot at it from very far away.

Does darkness still affect shooting? I thought that was taken out a long time ago.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Manager Hoyden posted:

Does darkness still affect shooting? I thought that was taken out a long time ago.

It was removed a while ago, yeah. It was a thing for so long that a lot of people take it for granted though, myself included.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Vengarr posted:

It was removed a while ago, yeah. It was a thing for so long that a lot of people take it for granted though, myself included.

gently caress. Well, whatever.