Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Is blue/gold different than port and starboard? Sounds to me like Red Crown is catching a break

I dunno. Normally blue/gold is crew rotation for subs and LCSs. One high tempo on hull period too busy for training (where nobody reduces training requirements) while the other crew trains (gets farmed out to fill gapped on-hull billets).

I don't really know what Red Crown is or why he'd be mission essential, but I can't for the life of me imagine justifying an admiral as mission essential unless actively directing an operation. The admiral isn't standing a watch, isn't driving, and isn't turning a wrench.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I wouldn't want to see what happens after week 3 or 4 but The navy would continue to function just fine with all the E7+ and O4+ suddenly vanishing for a while. You might see a brief peak in the amount of useful work that gets done before everybody just decides to go home and never come back.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

piL posted:

I don't really know what Red Crown is or why he'd be mission essential,

I wish I had the answers to either of those

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

piL posted:

I dunno. Normally blue/gold is crew rotation for subs and LCSs. One high tempo on hull period too busy for training (where nobody reduces training requirements) while the other crew trains (gets farmed out to fill gapped on-hull billets).

I don't really know what Red Crown is or why he'd be mission essential, but I can't for the life of me imagine justifying an admiral as mission essential unless actively directing an operation. The admiral isn't standing a watch, isn't driving, and isn't turning a wrench.

I'm only familiar with Red Crown in terms of amphibious operations.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
It's not really so much "mission essential" as "required to be physically present to do the mission"; an admiral is probably doing most of their (useful) work via email/phone calls and can do that from home. We're going to a blue/gold schedule this week and most of our admin department is just working from home because they can, but turning wrenches and flying planes does require a certain amount of physical presence.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Is blue/gold different than port and starboard? Sounds to me like Red Crown is catching a break

Blue/Gold are typically designations for different crews operating the same hull on a rotation. Different from port/starboard which typically just relates to watch teams.

Stultus Maximus posted:

I'm only familiar with Red Crown in terms of amphibious operations.

Red Crown is air traffic control for strike groups and reports to the AAWC. For Amphib operations, it's called Green Crown instead. (I think. I haven't been in a strike group for almost a decade.)

Red Crown posted:

piL posted:

I don't really know what Red Crown is or why he'd be mission essential
I wish I had the answers to either of those

>_> Yuck yuck yuck

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/NBCNewsNow/status/1244640616363036672?s=20

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Starting to get the hot fill requests for IT personal now. Wonder if they are gonna notice us kicking rocks in Norfolk.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I was in boot camp on 9/11, and all the RDCs were permanently onboard 24/7 for at least the 3 weeks until the base opened back up. They didn't seem to like it.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Welp, 6 weeks into my return to a ship and being an LPO for the first time. Even though she knows I made E-6 instructing and have literally no experience as an LPO, my Senior Chief has apparently been "observing" me to see how I do before she actually gives me any advice or mentorship. Turns out I'm not here to be buddies with my techs. Apparently I need to "stay on them" to makes sure they do work. When they complain about things I have to squash it, not express understanding for their (valid because there's a loving pandemic on) frustrations.

Also, and this is my favorite one: I need to be careful how I talk and what I say. Her main example was when I mentioned putting my finger in a dyke dike, a turn of phrase she had evidently never heard before. Nevermind that I immediately showed her an online dictionary explaining the term/phrase. Doesn't matter. Most people don't read books so I can't use words.

https://writingexplained.org/idiom-dictionary/finger-in-the-dike-mean

Luckily she's on her way out, and the division is pretty solid. I mean, which such pedantic micro-management they loving have to be.

Mr. Bad Guy fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 31, 2020

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
Ok though.... please learn the distinctions and connotations about “dyke” vs “dike” and maybe use a thesaurus to substitute less potentially problematic and charged synonyms that aren’t homophones.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

It's like no one has ever heard of little hans brinker. :smith:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Also one of my favorite venture bros jokes. General Treister talking about Monstroso says "And that Hans Brinker has his thumb in all of our pies." to which Col. Gathers responds "Jack Horner. Hans Brinker got his finger stuck in a dike." Then Treister responds "Son whatever depravities you get up to are between you and your living god."

Makes me laugh every time and it was just such a dumb little throwaway line.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/DavidLarter/status/1244975396619198465?s=20

:stonk:

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO???

LEAD?????

For real though that seems like a completely awful situation.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Granted most of the people on the ship should be healthy, not too obese, and generally under 40, so deaths should be low. Even still, dozens of people on that carrier are probably gonna die maybe more if they can't get some sort of ventilators set up.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Welp, 6 weeks into my return to a ship and being an LPO for the first time. Even though she knows I made E-6 instructing and have literally no experience as an LPO, my Senior Chief has apparently been "observing" me to see how I do before she actually gives me any advice or mentorship. Turns out I'm not here to be buddies with my techs. Apparently I need to "stay on them" to makes sure they do work. When they complain about things I have to squash it, not express understanding for their (valid because there's a loving pandemic on) frustrations.

Also, and this is my favorite one: I need to be careful how I talk and what I say. Her main example was when I mentioned putting my finger in a dyke, a turn of phrase she had evidently never heard before. Nevermind that I immediately showed her an online dictionary explaining the term/phrase. Doesn't matter. Most people don't read books so I can't use words.

https://writingexplained.org/idiom-dictionary/finger-in-the-dike-mean

Luckily she's on her way out, and the division is pretty solid. I mean, which such pedantic micro-management they loving have to be.

I'm thoroughly impressed with how, despite having shown the word to someone else in the dictionary AND shared a link to an explanation of the term, you still managed to spell dike wrong.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

McNally posted:

I'm thoroughly impressed with how, despite having shown the word to someone else in the dictionary AND shared a link to an explanation of the term, you still managed to spell dike wrong.

He can’t help but break down while writing a story.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

McNally posted:

Maybe he's phone posting and his phone changed it and he didn't catch it. Though the algorithm determining dyke is more likely to be typed than dike raises more questions.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I just want to know if Dick and Jerry have these problems.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Mea culpa, for all my vaunted vocabularity, I literally did did not know that they were two distinct, differently-spelt words.

I mean, this started from a spoken conversation where that wouldn't have mattered, but still.

LingcodKilla posted:

:golfclap:

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

LingcodKilla posted:

This will never get old.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Two things, that CO is never gonna put on a star, and Big Navy won't isolate the crew, and will then lie the losses at the COs feet.

A SOF Marine
May 29, 2013

orange juche posted:

Two things, that CO is never gonna put on a star, and Big Navy won't isolate the crew, and will then lie the losses at the COs feet.

You missed one: they’ll blame the sailors, too. Also they’ll ask: “How could we have known this would happen? Besides, what could we have done?”

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Enough spine to publicly release a letter, not enough spine to drive home and park it and send everyone to quarantine at home.

A SOF Marine
May 29, 2013
[At Quarters on a crowded messdeck]
Shipmates, ensure you have completed the FY20 Pandemic & Social Distance Awareness Training on NKO.

If you feel sick, report to sick call at 0800. As a reminder, liberty expires onboard for all E6 and below at 0645.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

Enough spine to publicly release a letter, not enough spine to drive home and park it and send everyone to quarantine at home.

While the CO is in charge of the ship, he cannot just pull out of Guam on his own volition, as it costs a shitload of money (literal pallets of cash, if you're looking for a physical equivalent) to bring a capital ship like the TR into or out of port.

For better or worse, unless the Navy gives the TR the order to sail for its homeport, they cannot move it out of Guam, and there's also no way they're going to find individual lodging for 4500 sailors on the island of Guam.

That CO, and his crew are hosed.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 31, 2020

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Came here about the SF Chronicle article.

Holy poo poo.

There was one person that died in my Battle Group in 5 years, TR probably gonna drop a couple of dozen in a few weeks.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

orange juche posted:

While the CO is in charge of the ship, he cannot just pull out of Guam on his own volition, as it costs a shitload of money (literal pallets of cash, if you're looking for a physical equivalent) to bring a capital ship like the TR into or out of port.

For better or worse, unless the Navy gives the TR the order to sail for its homeport, they cannot move it out of Guam, and there's also no way they're going to find individual lodging for 4500 sailors on the island of Guam.

That CO, and his crew are hosed.

There are easily 3000 empty hotel rooms in guam right now, the place is a ghost town.

The CO at a minimum should have done something to allow for social distancing with the crew instead of continuing to work normally for the mission. All the public whining is useless if you don't change things on the ground, which he clearly is unwilling to do without being told directly.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

M_Gargantua posted:

There are easily 3000 empty hotel rooms in guam right now, the place is a ghost town.

The CO at a minimum should have done something to allow for social distancing with the crew instead of continuing to work normally for the mission. All the public whining is useless if you don't change things on the ground, which he clearly is unwilling to do without being told directly.

With shared ventilation and no space unless you start sticking people in fan rooms and even then? Its an impractical excercise. I can see why he dispensed with the futility of it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Better than keeping people working 10 hour days + duty on a carrier

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

I don't know the situation on the ground in Guam but it's possible that local hotels aren't willing to bunk potentially ill sailors with no money provided up front. The CO could possibly do that (funding for local hotels to isolate the entire ships force, though I have no idea how many millions of dollars would be required to fund that), but if the admiral on board won't authorize it, bureaucracy does what bureaucracy does best.

People are panicking, landlords and building owners are kicking tenants out at the potential mention of Coronavirus in the states, regardless of restrictions and declarations from the government right now. The CO can't force local hotels to quarter sailors without their consent, or without some sort of cover from above, and cooperation from the local government of Guam.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 31, 2020

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

orange juche posted:

some sort of cover from above

doesnt he have an air wing lmao

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

shovelbum posted:

doesnt he have an air wing lmao

How many knots does the ship have to be moving at in a headwind in order to fling a plane off the deck successfully? It's a significant amount of speed IIRC. Hard to attain that tied to a pier.

/s if you couldn't tell.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 31, 2020

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

orange juche posted:

How many knots does the ship have to be moving at in a headwind in order to fling a plane off the deck successfully? It's a significant amount of speed IIRC. Hard to attain that tied to a pier.

/s if you couldn't tell.

It'll prove he means business if he launches a flight of anything and just does low passes.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

It'll prove he means business if he launches a flight of anything and just does low passes.

Just gotta have enough heart and can-do attitude to get the planes airborne.

E: for serious content, assuming ~$100 a night rates in Guam, (the hotels range from $70 to over $200 per night), 15 days x 4500 personnel is $6.75 million. If you go for $70 a night, the lowest rate I could find in Guam, it's still $4.5 million dollars. The CO probably doesn't have the authority to dispense that kind of funds without approval from big navy. Those kind of numbers for money is somewhere in the ballpark of what it would take to get the ship underway as well.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 31, 2020

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

orange juche posted:

/s if you couldn't tell.

Nice try, Comrade Ivan

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

orange juche posted:

The CO can't force local hotels to quarter sailors without their consent

At long last, the Third Amendment has its day in the limelight.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Wingnut Ninja posted:

At long last, the Third Amendment has its day in the limelight.

The court will probably rule that because of the Insular Cases, the Guamanians are too stupid to get Third Amendment rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Stultus Maximus posted:

The court will probably rule that because of the Insular Cases, the Guamanians are too stupid to get Third Amendment rights.

My wife and I were just talking about how the Constitution applies to these places. Guam is an Incorporated and Organized Territory, as is Puerto Rico, but the North Marianas and USVI are Unincorporated and Organized Territories? And are all classed as Protectorates? (Except maybe the Marianas, since they may be a UN Trust?)

I also assume it's not forcible quarter if market rates are paid; that's just eminent domain.