Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Lone Goat posted:

the thing is that apathy/death you pay the mana once and the creature is dealt with, labyrinth you gotta tap 5 lands every turn you want to shut off a creature, and you're not developing your board while you're doing that.

it's not a BAD card, but it's not something i'm taking highly, and on arena you'll never see it 3 picks deep into a pack

I think labyrinth is actually better than apathy for decks that want it, but apathy goes in every white deck. If you’re BG or UB or even WB, decks that want to grind and close out the game with fatties, then a labyrinth is a crushing advantage. For example, alongside a Nyxborn Colossus, it just ends the game; they can’t safely gang block it and they can’t race you with their own beater. But in WR or WG (don’t play WG) or WU, tempo decks that want to beat down, it’s basically just a Wastes and apathy is much better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Just announced

Ikoria paper release is delayed to May 15 (could be later depending...)

Will release on April 16th on MTGO and Arena

Previews starting on April 2nd

WOTC is sending out, at no charge, a full allocation of Mystery Booster boxes to WPN stores to sell for a full profit

Tainen fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 26, 2020

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Tainen posted:

Just announced

WOTC is sending out, at no charge, a full allocation of Mystery Booster boxes to WPN stores to sell for a full profit

Nice. How much is a full allocation? I somehow doubt that May 15th date though.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

WotC read enough "printer money go brrr" memes that they decided to try it themselves?!?

Madness, pure madness

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
So my friends are trying to organise a modern cockatrice tournament. People can play any deck they like. I've been interested by hardened scales but held off building it because of the price, is it hurting bad after the opal ban?

I usually play bw tokens or a RG monsters deck (rip once upon a time) in modern, anything else worth considering as a fun different experience? Humans? 8 rack? Token aristocrats even?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

ilmucche posted:

So my friends are trying to organise a modern cockatrice tournament. People can play any deck they like. I've been interested by hardened scales but held off building it because of the price, is it hurting bad after the opal ban?

I usually play bw tokens or a RG monsters deck (rip once upon a time) in modern, anything else worth considering as a fun different experience? Humans? 8 rack? Token aristocrats even?

Tron is fun if you like hearing the lamentations of your defeated

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

If my LGS is still having difficulty with Arena for FNM tomorrow, is there another way to participate?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Tainen posted:

Just announced

When do we get our 12 booster packs? (extra 5 per child)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mef989 posted:

If my LGS is still having difficulty with Arena for FNM tomorrow, is there another way to participate?

start a twitch stream of you setting money on fire

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Has a paper set release ever been delayed before?

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

I scanned Duelist #9

Lots of netrunner material in here (RIP netrunner). Also includes the batshit insane timing guide used for DCI tournaments before the comprehensive rules were invented. Not even "before the stack," this is "before this the rulebook just told you to flip a coin if the players couldn't decide what order things went in."

Randy Gallegos posters (JPEGs; if you want 150+MB TIFFs you can dig around in the item):
https://archive.org/download/DuelistMagazine-Issue9-February1996/Randy%20Gallegos%20Poster%20A.jpg
https://archive.org/download/DuelistMagazine-Issue9-February1996/Randy%20Gallegos%20Poster%20B.jpg

Insane timing chart:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The clearest version of the good ol Rat Maze

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
drat is that a depressed Cambion? always loved Gallegos' art

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
I think there must be a 0% chance of having an actual Godzilla card in a Magic set.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

neaden posted:

I think there must be a 0% chance of having an actual Godzilla card in a Magic set.

The real cards are Brokkos, Apex of Eternity and Titansomething Rex, this is just a very all out alt-art that gives an alt name to go with the art. The rules text references the actual name, though.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Cool, leaks with lovely photography.

It's been a while, huh? I almost forgot that it keeps happening.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Cool, leaks with lovely photography.

I have no idea why they jpeg'd them up and posted them sideways but:

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I don't know what a trample counter is but I already like it.

I'm assuming more interesting than, give something trample :v:

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Holy poo poo those cards look awesome! Looks like I've always wanted a kaiju set I just didn't know it

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Toshimo posted:

I have no idea why they jpeg'd them up and posted them sideways but:

Better but there is clearly more table in frame, show the cards.

Spacegodzilla would be bgu because hybrid costs are listed before single color mana as per the alara reborn cards, and sultai is listed in bgu order.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

This is neat because Godzilla rules.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
i really love the look of those and the mechanics they're playing with looks cool as hell. I always like Cycling

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Mutate was the Bestow from play thing, right? How do you keep track of how many times it's mutated?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

LifeLynx posted:

Mutate was the Bestow from play thing, right? How do you keep track of how many times it's mutated?

These cards lack reminder text to explain exactly what mutate does, and we lack comprehensive rules to cover it.

We don't know how mutate works.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Reik posted:

The real cards are Brokkos, Apex of Eternity and Titansomething Rex, this is just a very all out alt-art that gives an alt name to go with the art. The rules text references the actual name, though.

The rules text and there's a little box under the Name with the actual card name.

I believe Hasbro has a toy license for Godzilla? These look like really fun alt art cards.

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 28, 2020

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i think itd be a cool promo thing like the transformers cards but theres no way they put godzilla in the actual set

e: oh its literally from a promo pack...lol i want to believe

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
You don’t mutate from the battlefield. It’s like bestow so you either play the creature or you mutate.

Also the trample tokens just give a creature trample. There should be a punch card with a bunch of keywords as there are cards that give creatures keywords like a cycle of mono colored cards that gives a target creature a keyword when cycled (ie the blue one gives flying).
Edit: oops! Didn’t notice Godzilla was one of the cards in that cycle

Tainen fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 29, 2020

TheSoulian
Dec 5, 2016

Mutate seems weird. King Caeser makes it seem like something you can do multiple times, but if it functions like bestow, how would that be possible? Maybe once the creature with mutate is on the battlefield or been attached to another creature it can be moved around. To be honest mutate just doesn't read like a bestow thing to me, though I could be wrong.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by
Is that a fighter jet in the background of Godzilla? (top left)

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

Is that a fighter jet in the background of Godzilla? (top left)

No it is Starscream.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

TheSoulian posted:

Mutate seems weird. King Caeser makes it seem like something you can do multiple times, but if it functions like bestow, how would that be possible? Maybe once the creature with mutate is on the battlefield or been attached to another creature it can be moved around. To be honest mutate just doesn't read like a bestow thing to me, though I could be wrong.

"Whenever this mutates" could easily mean "whenever you play a Mutate card on this".

--

Trample counters instead of just giving trample are a memory issue thing - the counter reminds you several turns down the line that yes, something happened to this creature.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Jabor posted:

"Whenever this mutates" could easily mean "whenever you play a Mutate card on this".

--

Trample counters instead of just giving trample are a memory issue thing - the counter reminds you several turns down the line that yes, something happened to this creature.

let me just proliferate my lifelink counter for DOUBLE LIFELINK! That's how it works right??

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If it is like Bestow then there must be standard rules for what the aura does - presumably whatever you mutate gets +X/+Y equal to the aura's P/T (Bestow is different and would always write out what the aura would do). The design of the third card suggests to me it may also gain the aura's text, although it's unclear to me whether it would trigger on itself.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I would have suggested mutate as reverse bestowal but that doesn’t work with casting from graveyard for mutate cost I don’t think?

Also Tainen already said mutate is from hand so I’m just gonna continue being curious.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

i fuckken love kaiju

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

AlphaKeny1 posted:

i fuckken love kaiju

Hell, same.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

how do you tell if your city is under attack from a kaiju

look up at its hog. if it's got a foreskin, it's a kaigentile

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I don't know what a trample counter is but I already like it.

I'm assuming more interesting than, give something trample :v:

Why would you assume that? I'd bet money on that being exactly what it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Owlbear Camus posted:

how do you tell if your city is under attack from a kaiju

look up at its hog. if it's got a foreskin, it's a kaigentile

*everyone disliked that*