Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan
Let’s Import Vehicles From Japan For Fun And Profit - Everyone looks at you, everyone ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

KakerMix posted:

It's weird looking, 5 speed and AWD. Not as slow as you'd think but definitely not 'sporty'. Drives much smoother than you'd expect. Much smaller than it looks but quite roomy inside, at least for the people sitting up front. The front clip is plastic, hence why the paint is weirdly faded on it vs the rest of the car. The rear most windows are surrounded in the same plastic. Carries the space saver donut on the outside of the car where you don't need to save space. Split hatch, with an L-shaped section that opens upward and a separate tailgate. 14s all the way around. Everyone looks at you, everyone ever. Big sunroof is good, AC works wonderfully. Goddamned oil filter is between the block and the firewall :argh:

So cute and practical, it's the perfect little commuter.

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011

KakerMix posted:

Sold the Mira RV4, one final picture with our new arrivals. Beat, Alto Works, Mira RV4.

I'm planning on getting a 500 Abarth to satisfy my small car fetish, but goddamn an Alto Works is tempting as hell too.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Finally a new page all of Kaker's beautiful pics kept crashing my phone during Quarantine! Ha. Love love the Rasheen.

I've got the arrival notice April 3-4 I should have Daihatsu Bucket Kei, Mazda Fire Truck, Nissan Atlas mural Camper, Acty Street Van and Pajero Mini in this shipment

Edit:

WOW. 5 speed Type R NSX, 5 speeds are so rare in Japan on these. Wish it wasn't USS and I could see what this sells for tonight.

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-70Uk2Ymk6BmcgTv.htm

everdave fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 25, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

everdave, how did the cars you had in storage fare? You'd mentioned there was tornado damage in the immediate area..

KakerMix posted:

It's weird looking, 5 speed and AWD. Not as slow as you'd think but definitely not 'sporty'.

Is... is that a CA16?

Those are gutless enough without AWD. :v:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I’m pretty sure that Rasheen is my new favorite car holy poo poo

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

everdave posted:

I've got the arrival notice April 3-4 I should have Daihatsu Bucket Kei, Mazda Fire Truck, Nissan Atlas mural Camper, Acty Street Van and Pajero Mini in this shipment

I am really, REALLY excited to see the bucket truck!

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
After 6 weeks of waiting, Wisconsin DMV rejected my request for standard license plates because my camper does not have a Registered Importer label (meaning it was brought up to NHTSA safe code upon import) nor does it have an existing NHSTA safety marking (meaning it was manufactured to the safety standard of TYOOL 1995). Wisconsin wrote their own special addendum law because STATES RIGHTS.

However, the very knowledgeable and nice lady at the DMV I called to cry to told me that filing for a Collector Plate is my best bet, and essentially a surefire way to get this thing titled and registered for road use. Form MV2323!

6 weeks ago, at first glance of the collector plate requirements, I didn't think it was a good option but now I'm basically putting my faith in that conversation.

If that doesn't work...then I have to start looking at more grey area workarounds.

Truly an experience!

The drawback to Collector Plates is that you can't drive it in the month of January.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

French Canadian posted:

The drawback to Collector Plates is that you can't drive it in the month of January.

That's very random. I guess there is some kind of justification for that?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

That's very random. I guess there is some kind of justification for that?

It's to discourage people from using those plates on daily drivers. If it was a real collectible you wouldn't have it out in the snow anyway, right?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

French Canadian posted:

After 6 weeks of waiting, Wisconsin DMV rejected my request for standard license plates because my camper does not have a Registered Importer label (meaning it was brought up to NHTSA safe code upon import) nor does it have an existing NHSTA safety marking (meaning it was manufactured to the safety standard of TYOOL 1995). Wisconsin wrote their own special addendum law because STATES RIGHTS.

However, the very knowledgeable and nice lady at the DMV I called to cry to told me that filing for a Collector Plate is my best bet, and essentially a surefire way to get this thing titled and registered for road use. Form MV2323!

6 weeks ago, at first glance of the collector plate requirements, I didn't think it was a good option but now I'm basically putting my faith in that conversation.

If that doesn't work...then I have to start looking at more grey area workarounds.

Truly an experience!

What? That's... what?
How can a state refuse to register a car that is federally legal?
loving DMVs are the most bureaucratic hide bound control freaks ever. The most "government" of government agencies.

gently caress it. "Sell" it to one of us who doesn't live in a totalitarian regime, and we'll sell it back to you with a clean out-of-state title.
Yes, I know this is frowned upon, but if they're going to be dicks about it... I don't think it's strictly illegal, but might be in some states.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Midjack posted:

It's to discourage people from using those plates on daily drivers. If it was a real collectible you wouldn't have it out in the snow anyway, right?

It's a collectable snow plow truck :colbert:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Darchangel posted:

What? That's... what?
How can a state refuse to register a car that is federally legal?
loving DMVs are the most bureaucratic hide bound control freaks ever. The most "government" of government agencies.

gently caress it. "Sell" it to one of us who doesn't live in a totalitarian regime, and we'll sell it back to you with a clean out-of-state title.
Yes, I know this is frowned upon, but if they're going to be dicks about it... I don't think it's strictly illegal, but might be in some states.

You see similar discontinuities with things like tint laws, the CARB (which has ended up being a de facto national standard), regulations on aftermarket exhausts, etc. They can always choose to be more restrictive than federal law; they can never choose to be less restrictive without getting your R34 smashed.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
25 year old vehicles are 100% EXEMPT from NHTSA requirements.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

That's what I mean, sorry. Poorly worded in my rage.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Not in Wisconsin my dude. They have very specific language about it along the lines of "regardless of federal law blah blah blah states rights".

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Hey look what I found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahdhk1rZZrU

This is how all our cars make it over here :toot:

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

French Canadian posted:

"regardless of federal law blah blah blah states rights".

Coulda sworn that particular conflict was resolved at one point, seemed like it was pretty decisive, can't quite put my finger on it...

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

KakerMix posted:

Hey look what I found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahdhk1rZZrU

This is how all our cars make it over here :toot:

Yeah that was super neat to see!

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Coulda sworn that particular conflict was resolved at one point, seemed like it was pretty decisive, can't quite put my finger on it...

I feel like you know something I don't...

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ethics_Gradient posted:

As has already been discussed, states are free to have more restrictive requirements than the feds do for vehicle registration, see California emissions for the most obvious example, they just can't have less (though the number of R34s with Florida titles shows how little this is actually enforced).

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

French Canadian posted:

Yeah that was super neat to see!

I feel like you know something I don't...

It was a Civil War joke :v:

wolrah posted:

As has already been discussed, states are free to have more restrictive requirements than the feds do for vehicle registration, see California emissions for the most obvious example, they just can't have less (though the number of R34s with Florida titles shows how little this is actually enforced).

Ah, that makes sense (and sucks for OP)

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Ethics_Gradient posted:

It was a Civil War joke :v:

Ah, that makes sense (and sucks for OP)

I mean if someone said "you'll have to do it this way" from the beginning I would have been cool with it. Apparently the fuckin mini truck enthusiasts essentially got the legislation changed in a way that allowed minitrucks to be registered for highway but not freeway use and with that came the other bullshit about NHTSA because no one wanted "660cc deathtraps" vehicles ripping around on the freeways. That's what the DMV guy a while back essentially suggested. At least I can buy all the guns or whatever the gently caress.

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 28, 2020

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Welp it's the Prado that we've been looking for. All the hits, KZ 3.0 turbo diesel engine, 5 speed manual transmission, rear diff lock (not something we were looking for but we got it anyway), 'EX' level which means sunroof, suspension seats, rear heater, upgraded seats and fabric (though the driver's seat is a bit pilly) and probably some other stuff I'm not aware of. The only option it doesn't have is the front bumper winch, but that's OK. Previous owner went ahead and swapped out every amber lens with clear lenses and amber bulbs, along with swapping out the rear tail lights with an LED set. The original paint color of 'really goddamned dark green until you get it in the sun then it sparkles' with secondary silver. I think it looks fantastic. The front bullbar is a nice touch as well, with the almost iridescent PIAA fogs. Came with new BF Goodrich KO2s already. Really all I have done so far is remove the third row seats, wash, polished and waxed it. I have to tackle the stereo situation as it looks like some highschool kid installed this ugly-rear end rave headunit. I patched up the harness behind the headunit and tossed in the OEM tape deck that the buyer of our other Prado graciously sent back to me on my request. I have to gently caress with the rest of the wiring at some point in the future. Exhaust has a leak as well so I'll replace that with a full stainless set here in a bit once the world calms down.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KakerMix posted:

I have to tackle the stereo situation as it looks like some highschool kid installed this ugly-rear end rave headunit.
Afraid that's just Japan.txt.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
drat Kaker, that is beautiful.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

InitialDave posted:

except for it being owned or driven by a high-schooler, but yeah probably somebody in the boonies who got a cheap CD player from the closest Super Autobacs.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That paint! :swoon: :fap:

I'm not a fan of those taillights, but more because they just look kinda cheap. The rest of it is amazeballs.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

:vince:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

drat, nice. It looks completely black in the first pic wow.

Are you getting any interest in your cars still or have things dropped off because of this Corona poo poo?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

That looks really nice, Kaker!

A razor works pretty well for getting rid of pills.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ethics_Gradient posted:

You also need a mirror and a dollar bill to really make them disappear.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Midjack posted:

That honestly made me lol.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Tell me more about this razor technique. Just...shave it?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

French Canadian posted:

Tell me more about this razor technique. Just...shave it?

Yeah, works pretty well on clothes at least, don't see why a cloth seat would be any different. I use a DE safety razor (because that's what I use on my face) but I assume a modern disposable would be OK.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

STR posted:

I'm not a fan of those taillights, but more because they just look kinda cheap. The rest of it is amazeballs.

Those lights are common down here, and I know what you mean about cheap looking aftermarket lights, but those ones actually look pretty good IRL, on a truck in that nice condition you’d hardly guess they’re not factory.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

What's that red thing on the passenger side?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Road flare?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yup.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Japanese cars have road flares standard.

Kaker’s tail lights on Prado are a standard and promoted upgrade for these. Often in the seller’s comment box they will list LED tail light upgrades on Cruisers. Not a janky thing. Of course for us if they included the stock ones that would be a huge bonus.

Trying to decide whether to put a Lite Ace and a Skyline in the shop for some paint work in these lean times or to not spend any extra money right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Thanks everyone. It is very nice, and it's only had 1 previous owner and they were a non-smoker, which with Land Cruisers in Japan is extremely not common. Prados though are more like 4Runners in they were sold to families and people in urban areas, tends to make them a bit more taken care of vs the dude out in the country of Japan beating on his 70 because its his work truck.

InitialDave posted:

harperdc posted:

except for it being owned or driven by a high-schooler, but yeah probably somebody in the boonies who got a cheap CD player from the closest Super Autobacs.

It's just a bit at odds with everything else about it, the sealing trim between the fender extensions and the main body of the vehicle have been replaced, the steering wheel is a brand new OEM one, the shift boots are brand new, and while they did go through and replace all the amber lenses with clear they did keep all the original lenses. I have them at our warehouse. Then a single-DIN garbage unit installed is just NOT in line with all that.

STR posted:

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Those lights are common down here, and I know what you mean about cheap looking aftermarket lights, but those ones actually look pretty good IRL, on a truck in that nice condition you’d hardly guess they’re not factory.

I was a bit eh on those tail lights originally because I kinda feel like STR, but taken as a whole the clear lenses add a nice style finish to the whole truck. I do have the OEM tail lights but the amber lenses are going to stick out if I put them back in, PLUS they of course aren't as clean as these ones. They've grown on me.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

drat, nice. It looks completely black in the first pic wow.

Are you getting any interest in your cars still or have things dropped off because of this Corona poo poo?

I assume it will slow down dramatically yeah, but we also only ever sold to people that really wanted something like we sell. We didn't have many people that kinda wandered over and went 'yeah I guess I'll buy a JDM car why not' you know? There are still people out there that want this stuff. I wonder if the whole vanlife thing will get even more of a push with the idea of ~social isolation~. As of right now though we get just as much interest as before. We'll see though!

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Midjack posted:

:hmmyes:

PokeJoe posted:

What's that red thing on the passenger side?

Not just a road flare, but a cool electric one:

I forget what car we took this out of but it follows us with whatever we are driving at the time. Most of the time they are actual flares with the chemicals and the fires, this one is neat because you twist the base and it flashes these bright red LEDs. The truck itself didn't come with one which is atypical.

everdave posted:

Japanese cars have road flares standard.

Kaker's tail lights on Prado are a standard and promoted upgrade for these. Often in the seller's comment box they will list LED tail light upgrades on Cruisers. Not a janky thing. Of course for us if they included the stock ones that would be a huge bonus.

Trying to decide whether to put a Lite Ace and a Skyline in the shop for some paint work in these lean times or to not spend any extra money right now.

I have the entire set of original lights and lenses, previous owner kept them all and I had them shipped. I quite like the look of the clear lenses though so I'll leave them on. As for spending money, I wouldn't spend anything you don't need to. Does the paintwork they need something that would prevent them from selling? How bad is it?