Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

corgski posted:

I would loving love for everyone pearl clutching about wet markets to walk into any farmers market in the US that sells livestock.

Where does wet aging fall into this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
You guys are being crazy. I went to my local farmers market and had my choice of wild caught bats to choose from and it was perfectly fine and healthy.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Come on they're catching and eating bats and random endangered wildlife, not stock that's been shot up with antibiotics for generations

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Beachcomber posted:

I have. You can pet the baby cows and sometimes they try to suck on your fingers. Cows, pigs, chickens, sheep, goats.

Nowhere are they butchering them on site.

Edit: here's mine https://leesportmarket.com/

Butchering onsite wouldnt even be a problem if it was sanitary and both the animals involved and the procedure and equipment passed standards, which they likely would have to in the US (well i mean ideally).

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
I just bought rabbit and goat from my regular rear end grocery store.

Up your game, fools.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

corgski posted:

I would loving love for everyone pearl clutching about wet markets to walk into any farmers market in the US that sells livestock.

Lmao

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

1. They needed to add words to the footage because a lot of that was unidentifiable.

2. They really lingered overlong on the snakes

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Supreme Allah posted:

Come on they're catching and eating bats and random endangered wildlife, not stock that's been shot up with antibiotics for generations

Lotta bs itt rn

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

for real, those bats are absolutely full of antibiotics*

*ground up dried pangolin scales, they not only ward off disease but promote excellent boners!

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Eating Bats isnt even that big a deal its the whole wild caught factor and the fact no one checks them for diseases and poo poo before they get eaten. There is a reason why you cant sell uninspected wild game meat in the US.

If some dude had a huge aviary where he bred bats or whatever and got them checked out before selling them for meat this wouldnt really be an issue.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Telsa Cola posted:

Eating Bats isnt even that big a deal its the whole wild caught factor and the fact no one checks them for diseases and poo poo before they get eaten. There is a reason why you cant sell uninspected wild game meat in the US.

If some dude had a huge aviary where he bred bats or whatever and got them checked out before selling them for meat this wouldnt really be an issue.

Lol I’m talking about US farmer market, buy a cow or goat or chicken. Bats likely are not allowed gross

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 23, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Factory farming in the U.S. and elsewhere is absolutely disgusting, but given the sheer scale of hog/poultry/cattle farming versus exotic animal markets, it seems likely that the risk of zoonoses originating there is many orders of magnitude less, per animal, per gram of protein, per dollar, or however you want to measure it.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Burt Sexual posted:

Lol I’m talking about US farmer market, buy a cow or goat or chicken. Bats likely are not allowed gross

Yeah I know im just saying theres a way for everyone to be happy.

Except the bats i guess.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Supreme Allah posted:

Cheer up, we're going to run out of wildlife soon anyway! Problem solved!
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/quirks/oct...earth-1.5324721
https://www.worldwildlife.org/stories/forest-wildlife-populations-decline-53-since-1970

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i dont know what im talking about :colbert: but even i know youre all wrong

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

sincx posted:

This is classic "if Americans can't do something, no one else can either" bullshit

it kinda feels like you think people here are skeptical of china's official statements out of some kind of nationalistic bent rather than long term experience looking at how the CCP manages information. nobody is saying america is perfect, I think we're doing a poo poo job of it and most definitely lying about tons of things too. that is not mutually exclusive with "the CCP massages the poo poo out of every statistic it releases to make itself look better".

here's something straight out of an actual chinese person living in china's mouth, a dude I'm working with for a freight shipment. This was a response to me telling him "I'm glad to hear it sounds like things are getting better with the virus in china":

Cobra Lionfist
Jun 4, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

China lies about anything happening for over a month. Lies about the numbers for a couple weeks. Finally, admits it's bad and the numbers go up. Then they crater.

Yeah, makes sense. I believe it.

I mean, that totally fits with what we've seen everywhere else.

More likely: it spread all over the place and there is a lot more than China is letting on.

If you had to bet $$$ on it, which way do you go: China lying or China telling the truth?

Another thing: lot of people in China go to Macau just for the day. And there are a lot of people in China. It would take very very little for it to spread.

Believing the China story is like believing Japan barely got touched while they still had the Olympics going on. But now that the Olympics are gone the numbers are going up.

I'm living in Macau at the moment. People from the mainland can't just visit now, and anyone who does enter has to go on a two week quarantine. There were 10 cases here then none for 40 days, in the last week or so they've caught a bunch of people who showed symptoms while under quarantine, most had travelled from the UK or US.

Also, yeah the government restricts a lot of stuff in china, but people are still very active on social media. If there were lots of cases of coronavirus people would be posting about it, the government couldn't just cover it all up.

People here and in mainland china basically ALL wore masks, everywhere you went there was sanitation, handwashing, places being sprayed down, People locked themselves down and didn't travel. I'm not saying that the virus can't flare up and spread again, a lot of people in Macau are worried about that happening and schools etc still haven't reopened. But all this talk in this thread of "of course it's running rampant in china the CCP are just covering it up" is coming across as somewhat ignorant and racist.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
"statistic seems impossible": racism?
nah dont get weird

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Cobra Lionfist posted:

But all this talk in this thread of "of course it's running rampant in china the CCP are just covering it up" is coming across as somewhat ignorant and racist.

personally I think that the stats they're lying about is the number of deaths from the initial outbreak, and the dramatically quick drop down to nothing. I don't believe it's still running rampant as it was a couple months ago, and I'm not sure that's what people are saying. Of course they did a ton of stuff to stop it and didn't just let it rage, and it was effective. I don't think that it's just been pretty much eradicated there though and that all cases now are from foreigners, as the CCP is claiming.

sincx posted:

Did you read the article I linked? From an actual on-the-ground neutral observer, fact-checked and published in a respected magazine? Saying that the situation outside of Wuhan is clearly under control, although at a heavy economic and social cost?

hey have you heard about what china has been doing lately with foreign reporters and news organizations that embarrass the CCP?

d0s fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 29, 2020

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
People talk a lot about masks and I'm sure they can't hurt but most of the ppl I know social distancing/"locked down" are still like having booty calls and boardgame nights and every dumb business is considered essential and old people are still quasi socializing at the stores every morning etc etc etc

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

corgski posted:

Let's see china dealing with our poo poo virus that will come out of that thing that is totally the same hygiene wise

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

sincx posted:

You seriously think the New Yorker is astroturfing for Xi?

no they're just making typical bland orientalist stuff where a white dude marvels at people wearing masks as per usual because that's what their readers enjoy

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

sincx posted:

well if your position is that anything contradictory to your worldview is fake news, then there's nothing to discuss

no the part of my worldview that relates to this is that numbers and stats from the CCP are usually to be taken with a massive grain of salt (not the same as claiming China is actually burning to the ground this minute), I can't believe that is a controversial position in current year but here we are. like if you replace CCP with "trump administration" I would feel exactly the same way, same for most nationalist/authoritarian governments and leaders, particularly when there's a long history of the same.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

shovelbum posted:

People talk a lot about masks and I'm sure they can't hurt but most of the ppl I know social distancing/"locked down" are still like having booty calls and boardgame nights and every dumb business is considered essential and old people are still quasi socializing at the stores every morning etc etc etc

Where are you? I'm in CA (Santa Clara county) and the worst I've heard of is a friend of mine who had been put on paid leave and is doing everyone's shopping runs, she'll text saying, "don't come outside while I'm on the porch". She also visits her friends and hangs out outside for about ten minutes talking while they are also outside about ten feet away. She has a home made mask because her flatmate got into making them. So yeah I think she's not doing anything wrong but my point is, nobody else I know is even leaving the house at all more or less. Some people are walking a bit more, that's it. No events.

Funk In Shoe
Apr 20, 2008

Waiting in line, Mr. Haydon told me it is a wheel not meant for lovers but for infants, lifting people and letting them swing, putting the world on display from up high

corgski posted:

But do people also gently caress and kiss the livestock....?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
My point is that we know China lied about the virus at the start. We also know how infectious it is now. But while they were lying, it was still fairly unknown. So it is likely to have spread a lot more than they let on. For it to be contained to 2 areas is highly unlikely. Look at how it is spreading everywhere else in the world even after people knew about it.

So they lied about it at the start. Then once they admitted it was going on, they lied about how bad it was. Then they did admit something was going on and the numbers got real big real fast. Then they stopped. I know they took drastic measures. But they took them very late. What is more likely, a country that had been lying would continue to lie or that they would go for honesty is the best policy and all of a sudden have statistics that don't match up with anything we see elsewhere.

This is not a racist thing. I just highly doubt China is being honest now. We know they weren't before. Why believe them now? Because we want to?

They first started getting cases at the start of December. They didn't lock down until the end of January. And people are infectious for a bit before they even show symptoms.

Their #s are incredibly suspicious.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Lol, according to Dutch media almost half of the 1.3 million facemasks that were donated to the country by China are faulty and can't be used.

That's enough facemasks to supply all the ICU's in the Netherlands for about a month, just as we are probably going to hit our peak in the coming weeks...

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Platystemon posted:

Respirators are great for protecting yourself, but take caution that they do little or nothing to protect others from an infected wearer.

Why is that?

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

It boggles the mind that anybody takes anything China says seriously in 2020, it's almost comical. They have a track record of lying about everything, even the most banal unimportant things, and especially the big things. Why would anything about the roni be different?

In other news quarantine is beginning to get slightly annoying, which is a very good situation to be in all things concidered. I've decided to quit drinking for a few weeks and to switch to weed since it's making me very unhealthy and my weekends and mostly long hangover session, which is really not a good thing.

I've also discovered undercooked 2 with my girlfriend and it is the first game she likes and we are having a blast. If anybody needs a good game to couch coop with you partner, this is really good.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Funk In Shoe posted:

But do people also gently caress and kiss the livestock....?

We had animal brothels for decades in Denmark, and that never caused any pandemics. They got banned last year, though.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Facebook Aunt posted:

Why is that?

he's talking about things like these:

which are designed for working with chemicals and stuff and not medical environments so they protect from stuff getting in but not going out, probably so it's easier to breathe through.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Molentik posted:

Lol, according to Dutch media almost half of the 1.3 million facemasks that were donated to the country by China are faulty and can't be used.

Very shameful Xi, you stupid baby.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

d0s posted:

he's talking about things like these:

which are designed for working with chemicals and stuff and not medical environments so they protect from stuff getting in but not going out, probably so it's easier to breathe through.

Those still block droplets when you cough, which is the main purpose of masks for normal people

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Facebook Aunt posted:

Why is that?

Exhalation passes through a valve, not the filter media. The valve is under the 3M in that logo.

Andrast posted:

Those still block droplets when you cough, which is the main purpose of masks for normal people

Maybe.

Ccughs can be forceful, the opening is large, and it’s right in line with the mouth. Tape some fabric around the hole and now we’re talking.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Mar 29, 2020

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

PederP posted:

We had animal brothels for decades in Denmark, and that never caused any pandemics.

The Dane's well established superior intelligence accomplishing great things :denmark:

e: now I have 'Denmark animal brothel' in my Google history which isn't ideal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Son of Rodney posted:

It boggles the mind that anybody takes anything China says seriously in 2020, it's almost comical.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_whispers