Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

d0s posted:

he's talking about things like these:

which are designed for working with chemicals and stuff and not medical environments so they protect from stuff getting in but not going out, probably so it's easier to breathe through.

Oh I see. When I was looking for some masks* a lot of the hardware store N95 masks had an exhalation valve like that.
eg.

So ones like this aren't great for disease control?

*for my mom who has asthma and ticks a lot of other boxes, but won't stay home because she has to walk her dog 40 times a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_finger_trap

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

d0s posted:

he's talking about things like these:

which are designed for working with chemicals and stuff and not medical environments so they protect from stuff getting in but not going out, probably so it's easier to breathe through.

As mentioned above, exhales are unfiltered. However they much nicer to wear than a surgical mask due to the good seal and control or the direction of airflow. My glasses don't fog when I wear them. I don't know how N95 masks compare though, I'm talking about normal surgical style dust masks, which are terrible with glasses.

Carbon respirators completely eliminate the odor of cat poo poo, and that's the bar I'm looking to clear. Makes keeping a clean litter box a lot more pleasant.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Facebook Aunt posted:

Oh I see. When I was looking for some masks* a lot of the hardware store N95 masks had an exhalation valve like that.
eg.

So ones like this aren't great for disease control?

*for my mom who has asthma and ticks a lot of other boxes, but won't stay home because she has to walk her dog 40 times a day.

Here’s what CDC has to say about it:

quote:

My employees complain that Surgical N95 respirators are hot and uncomfortable – what can I do?

The requirements for surgical N95 respirators that make them resistant to high velocity streams of body fluids and help protect the sterile field can result in a design that has a higher breathing resistance (makes it more difficult to breath) than a typical N95 respirator. Also, surgical N95 respirators are designed without exhalation valves which are sometimes perceived as warmer inside the mask than typical N95 respirators. If you are receiving complaints, you may consider having employees who are not doing surgery, not working in a sterile field, or not potentially exposed to high velocity streams of body fluids wear a standard N95 with an exhalation valve.

My N95 respirator has an exhalation valve, is that okay?

An N95 respirator with an exhalation valve does provide the same level of protection to the wearer as one that does not have a valve. The presence of an exhalation valve reduces exhalation resistance, which makes it easier to breathe (exhale). Some users feel that a respirator with an exhalation valve keeps the face cooler and reduces moisture build up inside the facepiece. However, respirators with exhalation valves should not be used in situations where a sterile field must be maintained (e.g., during an invasive procedure in an operating or procedure room) because the exhalation valve allows unfiltered exhaled air to escape into the sterile field.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Supposedly medical masks can have better seals around the face than hardware store models, but I’m sure there are good and bad in each category. The most important thing is technique.

You may know how to handle an N95 mask from experience, but three out of four people don’t.

Here’s Stanford’s guide on reusing them.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

This is when a politician start lying about the number of deaths, but the number of unreported deaths grown and grown and grown, so if he decide to adjust to reality, it will look like a lot of people died in a single day.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

AnnoyBot posted:

My glasses don't fog when I wear them. I don't know how N95 masks compare though, I'm talking about normal surgical style dust masks, which are terrible with glasses.

the 9210 N95 masks are fine with glasses as long as you put it on without the glasses on then put your glasses on over it, and learn how to wear it right so air isn't leaking out everywhere

e:

lots of topical avatar opportunity here

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

That's way too complicated for me, an average pleb. Can I have condescending advice about not licking toilet seats instead ??

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

My point is that we know China lied about the virus at the start. We also know how infectious it is now. But while they were lying, it was still fairly unknown. So it is likely to have spread a lot more than they let on. For it to be contained to 2 areas is highly unlikely. Look at how it is spreading everywhere else in the world even after people knew about it.

So they lied about it at the start. Then once they admitted it was going on, they lied about how bad it was. Then they did admit something was going on and the numbers got real big real fast. Then they stopped. I know they took drastic measures. But they took them very late. What is more likely, a country that had been lying would continue to lie or that they would go for honesty is the best policy and all of a sudden have statistics that don't match up with anything we see elsewhere.

This is not a racist thing. I just highly doubt China is being honest now. We know they weren't before. Why believe them now? Because we want to?

They first started getting cases at the start of December. They didn't lock down until the end of January. And people are infectious for a bit before they even show symptoms.

Their #s are incredibly suspicious.

You need to understand, they are communists, so they are good. OK? No more of this! They very good. The fact that Taiwanese and Hong Kong people don't believe this either is irrelevant! Your doubts are racist! Please reflect on your badness. You are very bad.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Platystemon posted:

Maybe.

Ccughs can be forceful, the opening is large, and it’s right in line with the mouth. Tape some fabric around the hole and now we’re talking.

Some of the newer models block that valve with a plastic shield that directs the air path straight down. The head strap of my old respirator snapped and since it was years old, I picked up this model at a big box store a couple months ago for resin work.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

unpacked robinhood posted:

e: now I have 'Denmark animal brothel' in my Google history which isn't ideal

:same:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Cockmaster posted:

If this were the early 2000's, some unknown artist would do it and then music pirates would distribute MP3 copies crediting Weird Al.

Yeah, as a big fan of Weird Al (completely unironically and still to this day) that poo poo drove me nuts. No, Weird Al isn't releasing some homophobic bullshit you loving idiots.

Meanwhile in Finland the capital region has been on lockdown for a couple of days now and people don't seem to be getting it. 850+ vehicles have been turned away for trying to cross the perimeter with bad reasons. I guess people are still trying to escape the region for their summer cottages / go infect some small town hotel somewhere.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

Hi I super nearly got fired for questioning my companies lack of PPE and hand-sanitizer. My boss provided actual, literal moonshine to use as hand-sanitizer. The gloves we were provided expired in 2016 and shredded at the slightest contact with product. I stuck it out until I was able to get an online appointment with my GP who was APPALLED that I was still working and going in and out of people's homes and offices in lieu of a general provincial/federal non-essential shutdown. She immediately issued a Dr's note saying I was at high risk for the duration of the outbreak. (I'm diabetic and apparently the rate of complications leading to death is like 8%)

I relayed this to my immediate manager who asked if I could still come in and work from the warehouse asking if "if it would be ok it the guys sanitized the chairs before they brought them in" - completely ignoring the fact that I would have to do public transit for 2 hours a day just to come in to the warehouse, entirely ignoring the risk that y'know, the other guys aren't medical professionals and can't guarantee that *anything* will be sanitized properly by the time I see it.

I gave up on my organization doing the right thing and ensured a paper trail saying I was highly at risk and was finally able to secure some time off. My first weekend of quarantine has been going fine but I'm looking at 5+ hours on the phone on Monday to get though to the unemployment phone line.

Overall I'm fairly impressed with my local gov. and my provincial + federal gov in enacting measures for stuff like this. When I have to go out to the pharmacy/grocery store there's hardly anyone out, and the initial data looks like we're flattening the curve. Yay BC, good job all around.

My heart goes out to those of you down south. You could only be so lucky to receive a proper response from your local government. That thread the goon posted about not being able to breath tonight terrified me. My dad is American so I pay extra attention to US news.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
What is it you do/did?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The Australian prime minister today announced further restrictions and public gatherings are now restricted to just two people, except if people live together in which case the entire household are free to hang out together. Or funerals, which can have up to 10 people. Or weddings, which can have up to five people.

They've asked people to stay indoors and not go out except for absolutely essential reasons. The example the prime minister gave of an essential reason to leave the house was ............. and I'm not making this up .............. going to the store to buy jigsaw puzzles.

Edit: but they did also place a 6 month moratorium on evicting tenants for missing rent due to financial hardship so that's something

Der Shovel posted:

Meanwhile in Finland the capital region has been on lockdown for a couple of days now and people don't seem to be getting it. 850+ vehicles have been turned away for trying to cross the perimeter with bad reasons. I guess people are still trying to escape the region for their summer cottages / go infect some small town hotel somewhere.

Here in Australia the big-box Bunnings hardware stores are still open because they sell cleaning supplies plus builders still need building supplies to finish people's houses plus regular people still need to make repairs if something in their house breaks down, but it turns out that the general public have also been flocking there to stock up on random hardware & gardening supplies out of boredom. The store managers have started limiting the number of people they allow inside the store at the same time but that's resulted in MASSIVE crowded lines that go around the block:

They've also been bringing the whole family including their kids and treating it like a fun excursion and the staff are freaking out

Here's an article about it:
https://www.theage.com.au/national/bunnings-packed-despite-coronavirus-warnings-20200328-p54eud.html

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Mar 29, 2020

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dear Watson posted:

At what point is everyone going to start going on cruises again? I can't wait to see the fjords

Thousands and thousands people are still on cruises right this second ............ because they're overflowing with COVID-19 and countries keep turning them away and they can't find any port that'll let them disembark their passengers.

There's at least 18 cruise ships full of people just wandering around helplessly out there

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/more-than-1800-australians-still-stranded-at-sea-20200329-p54f2c.html

quote:

Elvira Fernandes is on board the MS Zaandam - a cruise ship anchored off the coast of Panama after several countries refused to let it into port.

Four passengers on the ship have died of the virus, while 138 more have reported flu-like symptoms associated with COVID-19.

Ms Fernandes said it was a terrifying experience.

"Four people died on board we were told yesterday at 2 o’clock (PM) and all of us were horrified and shocked," she said.

quote:

Mr Abdullah said the number of sick continues to climb.

"It was something like 25 per cent of crew; 28 members and 14 passengers initially, but the number started to balloon," he said.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Australian prime minister today announced further restrictions and public gatherings are now restricted to just two people, except if people live together in which case the entire household are free to hang out together. Or funerals, which can have up to 10 people. Or weddings, which can have up to five people.

They've asked people to stay indoors and not go out except for absolutely essential reasons. The example the prime minister gave of an essential reason to leave the house was ............. and I'm not making this up .............. going to the store to buy jigsaw puzzles.

Edit: but they did also place a 6 month moratorium on evicting tenants for missing rent due to financial hardship so that's something

Here in Australia the big-box Bunnings hardware stores are still open because they sell cleaning supplies plus builders still need building supplies to finish people's houses plus regular people still need to make repairs if something in their house breaks down, but it turns out that the general public have also been flocking there to stock up on random hardware & gardening supplies out of boredom. The store managers have started limiting the number of people they allow inside the store at the same time but that's resulted in MASSIVE crowded lines that go around the block:

They've also been bringing the whole family including their kids and treating it like a fun excursion and the staff are freaking out

https://www.theage.com.au/national/bunnings-packed-despite-coronavirus-warnings-20200328-p54eud.html

"So Ive calculated and our family can have...4 weddings and a funeral. 2 weddings and 2 funerals...1 we

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Can't you park your plague ship where it got its flag from ?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

reading about surface lifespans, it can live for days on steel/plastic but copper kills it quick. Is there any accessible material better than copper?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Alan Smithee posted:

reading about surface lifespans, it can live for days on steel/plastic but copper kills it quick. Is there any accessible material better than copper?

Bars of soap.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Molentik posted:

Lol, according to Dutch media almost half of the 1.3 million facemasks that were donated to the country by China are faulty and can't be used.

That's enough facemasks to supply all the ICU's in the Netherlands for about a month, just as we are probably going to hit our peak in the coming weeks...

And like 70% of the covid tests they supplied also don't work.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Alan Smithee posted:

Is silver accessible?

That’s the only thing likely to be better than copper and not some bespoke, nanoscale coating.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Alan Smithee posted:

"Quick" being hours.

Why? Are you building a suit?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

JK Fresco posted:

"Quick" being hours.

I am Copper Man

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

JK Fresco posted:

And like 70% of the covid tests they supplied also don't work.

They do work - they just have a poor sensitivity. Once the false negative rate has been determined, such tests are still useful by running multiple tests for the same person. That's not uncommon practice even for very good tests.

Test with 10% false negative: 2 tests yield 1% false negatives
Test with 30% false negative: 3 tests yield 2.7% false negatives
Test with 50% false negative: 5 tests yield 3.1% false negatives
Test with 70% false negative: 9 tests yield 4% false negatives

So the bad tests massively reduce test capacity (as 1000 kits might only be able to test 100 individuals) - but they're still usable. This means they're probably overpriced, but if they were donated and test personnel are available (ie do not have any other tests available), it's still a net benefit to have those tests.

Regarding surfaces and materials: I remember my brother (who used to be a furniture carpenter) talking about different types of wood (and their finish/oils) having very different properties when it comes to pathogens - and how some kitchens had awful materials in this regard. The impact on pathogen activity could be negative or positive depending on the material. Research on this has mostly been in relation to bacterial pathogens - but I know that some trees have strong antiviral properties while alive, although those might not translate into any effect for wooden surfaces.

PederP fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Mar 29, 2020

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Home isolation is meaning that people are having to cut their own hair for the first time ever and the results are finally starting to get posted to the internet

More: https://imgur.com/gallery/ZfoQsMT

JK Fresco posted:

"Quick" being hours.

My google image search for 100% soap clothing had very disappointing results :(

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Home isolation is meaning that people are having to cut their own hair for the first time ever and the results are finally starting to get posted to the internet

More: https://imgur.com/gallery/ZfoQsMT

My google image search for 100% soap clothing had very disappointing results :(

i'm thinking about shaving mine bald

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

Word of warning: it can look great or terrible, depending on the shape of your skull.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Currently arguing with a friend who went out to enjoy the nice weather yesterday, taking public transport for one hour each way to go to a wood in the other side of the city. People had been posting pictures of this wood full of people, thousands even. He doesn't seem to think it's a big deal.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Son of Rodney posted:

Currently arguing with a friend who went out to enjoy the nice weather yesterday, taking public transport for one hour each way to go to a wood in the other side of the city. People had been posting pictures of this wood full of people, thousands even. He doesn't seem to think it's a big deal.

Your “friend” is a huge idiot.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Son of Rodney posted:

posting pictures of this wood full of people, thousands even.

His what now?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Son of Rodney posted:

Link your friend to videos of people in Italy begging Americans to take this more seriously

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

there is a small remington handheld that has like 5k stars mostly 5's for 45 dollars on amazon, i got one and it works great. comes with like 8 attachments for different lengths.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
same but a smith and wesson

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

PederP posted:

They do work - they just have a poor sensitivity. Once the false negative rate has been determined, such tests are still useful by running multiple tests for the same person. That's not uncommon practice even for very good tests.

Test with 10% false negative: 2 tests yield 1% false negatives
Test with 30% false negative: 3 tests yield 2.7% false negatives
Test with 50% false negative: 5 tests yield 3.1% false negatives
Test with 70% false negative: 9 tests yield 4% false negatives

So the bad tests massively reduce test capacity (as 1000 kits might only be able to test 100 individuals) - but they're still usable. This means they're probably overpriced, but if they were donated and test personnel are available (ie do not have any other tests available), it's still a net benefit to have those tests.

The ones we have now are 60-70% sensitive and best practice is to obtain two samples, one from oropharynx and one from nasopharynx. Of course, when we don’t even have enough tests to do one on everyone, this is a total non starter.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

In New Zealand, Bunnings (and Mitre10) is closed to the general public :nz:

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

This is making me cringe. So glad I have the skill to cut my own hair.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

colas posted:

His what now?

?

I meant he went to a wood that was overrun by people getting "out for a bit", with over a thousand people running around there. This is photo someone on reddit posted. Grunewald in Berlin for context.

MarcusSA posted:

Your “friend” is a huge idiot.

Yeah, I'm trying to get him to understand this without seeming like a panicked loon. He also went to work every day (with the subway) because he thinks homeoffice is not as productive.

QuarkJets posted:

Link your friend to videos of people in Italy begging Americans to take this more seriously

Maybe I should :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Son of Rodney posted:

?

I meant he went to a wood that was overrun by people getting "out for a bit", with over a thousand people running around there. This is photo someone on reddit posted. Grunewald in Berlin for context.

Yeah, I'm trying to get him to understand this without seeming like a panicked loon. He also went to work every day (with the subway) because he thinks homeoffice is not as productive.

Maybe I should :(

Its a :dong: joke