Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Icon Of Sin posted:

Which sub is that? Is it the one getting put to rest off of FL?

Clamagore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

https://i.imgur.com/S75fvz8.mp4

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Icon Of Sin posted:

Which sub is that? Is it the one getting put to rest off of FL?

It is the Clamagore, and is supposed to be sunk off the coast of FL. It's pretty miserable to be in, especially compared with its surface breathren.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Any other people in here EHS guys dealing with the pandemic? It loving sucks.

Sup fellow EHS guy :hfive:. Yes this most definitely blows goats.

My company had projects shut down in the SF Bar area and in Austin, TX due to government restrictions on what is essential vs non-essential. We've also had some clients put active projects on hold and other clients postpone new projects until late April or May.

We've had 3 employees test positive. One was at our HQ in VA, 2 were in our NYC office. For reasons unknown, they still have me driving around auditing sites. The new thing management came up with was stationing an employee at the entry point to all projects to check subcontractors in and ask them a few questions about if they've traveled recently and if they have any symptoms.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The Clamagore.

I thought it was tight (I am large) but the old submariner that gave us a tour said it was the Cadillac (Balao class) of diesel boats, with gobs more room than most of the earlier class (Gato) of WWII boat.

The Becuna is another Balao-class boat in Philadelphia, if you want to see one...

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

I'm tempted to "borrow" a tyvek suit from work,, take my respirator (half mask) and some nitrile gloves and go grocery shopping in that get up.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

wesleywillis posted:

I'm tempted to "borrow" a tyvek suit from work,, take my respirator (half mask) and some nitrile gloves and go grocery shopping in that get up.

A few people have beat you to it. My son's SO is a manager at a local grocery in the Phila. suburbs and in the last two weeks, they've had a couple customers show up in full Andromeda Strain kit.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
One of those surplus Soviet flight suits would be pretty sweet right now.

OSHA relevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3s7BjU6sDg

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

If you're willing to travel to Charleston, SC (maybe when this whole pandemic thing is over) you can wander around one; the Yorktown is a museum ship there. It's over twice the length of an attack sub, and still significantly bigger than a missile boat though. Not to mention the width and significantly increased floor area. If you get there before next year, there's also a WWII sub to check out, it's slated to be a reef after that though.

I'd like to one day. I've been to the Alabama and the Texas. Though I didn't get to explore too much of the Texas because my niece wanted to go and then she convinced herself she was afraid of everything so one person had to stay with her while they others explored and it was taking too long.

Anyway, there was a sub next to the Alabama and it was tiny as hell. Basically one hallway down the entire thing with tiny rooms and bunks along the side.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/vX0I51B.mp4

Zeond
Oct 16, 2008

Please give generously to The League for Fighting Chartered Accountancy, 55 Lincoln House, Basil Street, London, SW3.
There's also the USS Intrepid museum on the Hudson River in NYC which has the late WWII carrier and the USS Growler which carried the very first submarine launched nuclear cruise missiles. They also have a Concorde on the pier and the shuttle prototype Enterprise as well as an impressive number of airplanes parked on the carrier's deck.

There's no shortage of museum ships to visit in the US. In addition to Texas, Alabama and SC I think there's also another WWII carrier in San Francisco and the Pearl Harbor museum complex includes the battleship Missouri and a late WWII submarine.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

"funny" story, my sister did that as a toddler to a lamp.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

There’s a WWII battleship in Wilmington, NC (the USS North Carolina too. It’s cool to wander around for a few hours. It’s in the Cape Fear River and sitting aground (her fuel tanks filled with water), and will not move (even with hurricanes trying their best).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Zeond posted:

There's also the USS Intrepid museum on the Hudson River in NYC which has the late WWII carrier and the USS Growler which carried the very first submarine launched nuclear cruise missiles. They also have a Concorde on the pier and the shuttle prototype Enterprise as well as an impressive number of airplanes parked on the carrier's deck.

There's no shortage of museum ships to visit in the US. In addition to Texas, Alabama and SC I think there's also another WWII carrier in San Francisco and the Pearl Harbor museum complex includes the battleship Missouri and a late WWII submarine.

The Intrepid is great, yeah.

The Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago has a U-boat, the only one in the western hemisphere.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

haveblue posted:

The Intrepid is great, yeah.

The Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago has a U-boat, the only one in the western hemisphere.

Fun thing about that: there are several u-boats sitting on the ocean floor near NC, one of which is the same class as the one in Chicago. 3 are within recreational dive limits (only barely), and the 4th is sitting at ~700ft down. The one closest to Bodie Island sits around 115ft down, in a high current area, and listing ~45°. Some moronic divers toured the U-boat in Chicago to develop their penetration plan (lol) of this sunken U-boat so they could steal the Enigma machine out of wherever it was stored deep in the boat.

Let’s recap: a deep wreck, in a high current area, prone to high silt (and therefore low vis), and listing heavily to one side. That’s before you get into the overhead environment, or the cramped confines inside the sub itself (while wearing full dive gear), or the perfect darkness that you’ll have to run a guideline through and have a pile of flashlights per person. You’ll also have to break into the sub through a tiny hatch, unless there’s a hole from whatever torpedo or depth charge hit it (likely leaving sharp jagged edges).

Somehow, they not only didn’t die...they managed to complete their self-assigned mission of recovering the Enigma machine from the sub’s innards. It’s currently on display at the Graveyard of the Atlantic museum, on Cape Hatteras.

:catstare:

e: navy :words: about the sub and the Enigma.

https://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=6660

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 28, 2020

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!

poo poo, that's a couple millimeters away from being a snuff film.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Zeond posted:

The Midway (mentioned earlier) is now a museum ship in San Diego. It's worth a visit if you're in town.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Zeond posted:

They also have a Concorde on the pier and the shuttle prototype Enterprise as well as an impressive number of airplanes parked on the carrier's deck.

They're doing a really nice job with the space shuttles. Endeavour will be set up vertically with an external tank and SRBs looking ready for launch, Atlantis is suspended in midair re-creating orbital operations, Discovery looks like she's just rolled to a stop after landing, and Enterprise... is on an aircraft carrier, because why not, carriers rule.

I love those old shuttles, but realistically they were deathtraps. Two of the 135 flights ended in disaster. In addition to the four surviving shuttles I listed, there are broken pieces of Challenger and Columbia displayed in a tasteful memorial at Kennedy Space Center. It was partially due to the design itself, and partially due to "normalization of deviance" on NASA's part -- the "we got away with it last time so I guess it's not really a safety problem at all" factor.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

I love those old shuttles, but realistically they were deathtraps. Two of the 135 flights ended in disaster.

Eh that's middling for a space vehicle. One of the 17 manned Saturn missions killed all the crew and another one very nearly did.

As crewed vehicles go, I think nothing beats the Soyuz.

e: forgot about Skylab and the Apollo-Soyuz project. 22 missions total

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 28, 2020

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Sagebrush posted:

Eh that's middling for a space vehicle. One of the 17 manned Saturn missions killed all the crew and another one very nearly did.

I think his point stands though. Having no launch escape system was so weird the soviets assumed they must have one, somehow. And riding up with your heatshield exposed opened you up to enormous risk.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Powered Descent posted:

Enterprise... is on an aircraft carrier, because why not, carriers rule.

Sadly, it's just sort of sitting in a hanger on the Intrepid's flight deck and you don't get to see much beyond just how fuckin' big space shuttles are. I couldn't step far enough away to get the whole thing in frame when I was there in October.

BlackIronHeart fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 29, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Would be nice if JSC had gotten a real shuttle instead of the fake one they put on the transporter plane.

TorpedoFish
Feb 19, 2006

Tingly.

Xakura posted:

I think his point stands though. Having no launch escape system was so weird the soviets assumed they must have one, somehow. And riding up with your heatshield exposed opened you up to enormous risk.
Call me crazy but given what's necessary to get into space (an explosion, hopefully controlled), and the inherent hazards of them being in space, I'm not sure there's really a "safe" way of going to space, just a "ever so slightly less dangerous" way.

Fun space fact: the successful bid for the Apollo spacesuits that were used on the lunar missions went to a company called the International Latex Corporation. Mostly, at that point, they made women's undergarments under the brand Playtex. Surprisingly, they had the best design -- and, apparently, the best seamstresses. There were 20+ layers of the spacesuit, and tolerance for seams was as low as 1/64th of an inch. This was an incredible combination of cutting-edge engineering and old-school skills.

Apparently it was terrifying for the seamstresses, who, again, had previously been making bras and girdles, because this was a garment where a missed stitch or stray pinhole or torn seam could kill the wearer.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Powered Descent posted:

They're doing a really nice job with the space shuttles. Endeavour will be set up vertically with an external tank and SRBs looking ready for launch, Atlantis is suspended in midair re-creating orbital operations, Discovery looks like she's just rolled to a stop after landing, and Enterprise... is on an aircraft carrier, because why not, carriers rule.

Didn't NASA give the shuttles away to museums, on the condition that they must be displayed in really cool ways?

Maybe they weren't as discriminating with the exhibit for Enterprise since it didn't go to space.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

FuturePastNow posted:

Didn't NASA give the shuttles away to museums, on the condition that they must be displayed in really cool ways?

I'd love to read the legalese in that contract.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

FuturePastNow posted:

Maybe they weren't as discriminating with the exhibit for Enterprise since it didn't go to space.

The Air Force Museum got a crew cabin trainer, so they slapped it into a fullsized mock-up of the shuttle (the ramp up to the cargo bay follows a weird route, then you realize it's the shape the wing would be) and sliced off the back end and removed the hatch so you can see inside.

This is how I learned that the toilet is A) Right next to the entry hatch and B) right under the passage to get onto the flight deck, so it has two doors for privacy, one in front, and one above.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagebrush posted:

The test that killed Grissom, White, and Chaffee was only posthumously designated “Apollo 1”.

It’s more like drowning in this pool than it is a fatal mission.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
A ton of museums bid on the shuttles. The Smithsonian was pretty much the only guaranteed one.

As for Atlantis at KSC, they did an amazing job with the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7ZCkgjcXis

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Cojawfee posted:

Would be nice if JSC had gotten a real shuttle instead of the fake one they put on the transporter plane.

Texas got one of its own in February 2003. :O

The Shuttle was a garbage design that killed 14 astronauts and almost many more. It should never have been crew-rated or even built in the first place.

Challenger blowing up on your 10th birthday will have that effect.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah, I'm not too torn up about it. I don't really like the shuttle. Houston at least has the plane that transported the shuttles back to Florida and the gangway that astronauts walked down to get to the shuttle. But more importantly, a full Saturn V, the apollo 17 CM, and LTA-8, the first man rated lunar module.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
[has sound]

https://i.imgur.com/o9hbdgo.mp4

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

"thassa biggen right ther"

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

BlackIronHeart posted:

Sadly, it's just sort of sitting in a hanger on the Intrepid's flight deck and you don't get to see much beyond just how fuckin' big space shuttles are. I couldn't step far enough away to get the whole thing in frame when I was there in October.

The Enterprise was the glider test vehicle, not a full-up shuttle, so it may not have all the doodads to display it more dynamically than the mission-capable shuttles.

I'd highly recommend for people the Air Force Museum in Dayton, OH, which has everything from B-29s and B-52s indoors, MX-Peacekeeper railcar launchers outside, to an entire hangar dedicated to old Air Force One planes for special tours. I've been there twice and still didn't see everything.

As far as other great museums, Camden, NJ has the USS New Jersey, the biggest of the Iowa-class battleships docked there, and it was a fantastic little day trip.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Zero One posted:

A ton of museums bid on the shuttles. The Smithsonian was pretty much the only guaranteed one.

As for Atlantis at KSC, they did an amazing job with the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7ZCkgjcXis

I wish I had had more time at KSC back in November. I did the rocket park tour, rushed through the Astronaut Hall of Fame, did a 2 hour bus tour, the Saturn V building, caught the last moon landing and Atlantis shows of the day, and got to the Space Mirror just before closing. Everything felt rushed but it was all so loving cool to see.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
KSC is fantastic. I got to attend two events there where we were in the control rooms, a lot of the labs, astronaut facilities, and even the top of the VAB (the giant assembly building). Getting to walk through the astronaut walkout (think the pictures of them getting into the vans fully suited) was pretty drat awe inspiring.

Here's a pic from one of my visits in front of an Atlas V a few hours before launch. OSHA for the armed guards all around just out of frame!

and the rocket itself, shot this through the chain link fence and had to be careful to not touch it because of the alarms

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Mar 29, 2020

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Zeond posted:

I think there's also another WWII carrier in San Francisco

San Francisco proper has the USS Pampanito, a Balao-class diesel boat open for tours. Across the Bay in Alameda is the Hornet. Second CV Hornet of the war, she has battle stars from the Pacific campaign and was a recovery ship for Apollo missions. Also tourable; a buddy and I cut a docent out of the herd and got a 2 hour private tour, The CIC is really cool. The recovered Russian sonobouys are cool. The ship's brig is seriously tiny. Be prepared to do a lot of climbing.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

haveblue posted:

The U-995 would disagree.

e: unless you maybe consider Europe to not be in the western hemisphere

Zopotantor fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Mar 29, 2020

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

haveblue posted:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Famous Eastern nation, uh, France.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

There's another one in England, so still wrong.