Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I know this was asked already but I can't find it, what's the course of action when your company falsely claims your job is vital, despite not actually being classified as vital?

Also, can companies really force you to use sick time when the company is shut down?

I guess to be let go or if they're nice, laid off?

No, being able to use sick time when the company is shut is a courtesy to keep you paid when you're not working and likely, willing, and able to come back to work when they reopen. I'm sure they would let you take unpaid leave instead.

Or maybe it's a grumpy morning or the blazargh flu is going around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
The Blarzgh Flu is the one that give you a huge dick

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Just saw this in USPOL:

What, if any, grounds would the Trump administration have here? Does a cease and desist carry any weight of law or is it basically "stop doing XYZ or we'll sue"? If TV stations do not pull the ad, what grounds would there be for a lawsuit, if any?

EDIT: The letter got found.

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 26, 2020

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
TAA (Texas Apartment Association) standard lease says this about move-out notice

TAA lease Par. 36.1 (b) posted:

Your move-out notice must be in writing. An oral move-out notice will not be accepted and will not terminate your Lease.

If your leasing office is closed due to coronavirus, is an email notification considered "in writing" or would you have to go to the post office and send a letter with a return receipt? Or video yourself with a time/datestamp sliding notice under the door? Or both?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

D34THROW posted:

Just saw this in USPOL:

What, if any, grounds would the Trump administration have here? Does a cease and desist carry any weight of law or is it basically "stop doing XYZ or we'll sue"? If TV stations do not pull the ad, what grounds would there be for a lawsuit, if any?

None
No
Yes
None

100% protected political speech

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

joat mon posted:

None
No
Yes
None

I hope they threatened this in an Anti-SLAPP jurisdiction, but they almost certainly didn't.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

joat mon posted:

None
No
Yes
None

This is what I figured!

Realtalk: Thank y'all legalgoons for doing this poo poo. One of my favorite threads by far.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

imagine what happens to trump if "a politician lied about another politician" was illegal, lol

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Nobody likes to laugh at the Cheeto as much as I do, but I don't think he's wrong about the way they use the word "Hoax" there.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

blarzgh posted:

Oh poo poo I got the boronervirus

turgid-19

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

blarzgh posted:

Does that make you an asymptomatic carrier?

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

Outrail posted:

:drat:

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Outrail posted:

poo poo that's savage

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Bad Munki posted:

Oh poo poo I got the boronervirus

turgid-19

i thought this was goign to say Boromirvirus an- (i fall silent as a barrage of orcish arrows pierce and penetrate my fuckably pink lungs)

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

D34THROW posted:

What, if any, grounds would the Trump administration have here? Does a cease and desist carry any weight of law or is it basically "stop doing XYZ or we'll sue"?

That deserves a real Arkell v. Pressdram response.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
At least the burn wards aren't full.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Outrail posted:

:lmao:

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Outrail posted:

:wow:

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
My father in-law is an 83-year-old widower. His live-in girlfriend of many years just found out she’s got multiple tumors on her liver and we suspect its cancer and probably fatal. He owns his house outright and they get by on their two social security checks only. When his girlfriend passes, he’s not going to be able to live on his own because of both his health and losing half his income.

My daughter and her husband own a house about an hour away, and have offered to sell their house, buy the house from my father in-law, and let him live their rent free. However, the place needs a lot of work, and I doubt the septic system and well would pass inspection.

My questions:
1) If they do this housing transaction and then my father in-law ends up in a Nursing home, can Medicaid go after my daughter for the house because he can’t afford the costs? I am aware of some rules involving irrevocable trusts and how they must be established years ahead of time so to protect assets.

2) Is there a better way to do this?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

daslog posted:

My father in-law is an 83-year-old widower. His live-in girlfriend of many years just found out she’s got multiple tumors on her liver and we suspect its cancer and probably fatal. He owns his house outright and they get by on their two social security checks only. When his girlfriend passes, he’s not going to be able to live on his own because of both his health and losing half his income.

My daughter and her husband own a house about an hour away, and have offered to sell their house, buy the house from my father in-law, and let him live their rent free. However, the place needs a lot of work, and I doubt the septic system and well would pass inspection.

My questions:
1) If they do this housing transaction and then my father in-law ends up in a Nursing home, can Medicaid go after my daughter for the house because he can’t afford the costs? I am aware of some rules involving irrevocable trusts and how they must be established years ahead of time so to protect assets.

2) Is there a better way to do this?

Talk to an "elder law" attorney in your area asap.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

TAA (Texas Apartment Association) standard lease says this about move-out notice

If your leasing office is closed due to coronavirus, is an email notification considered "in writing" or would you have to go to the post office and send a letter with a return receipt? Or video yourself with a time/datestamp sliding notice under the door? Or both?

An email is likely valid if it just says in writing, and does not specify a method of delivery, and if they generally accept and respond to emails at a specific email address. I’ve done it by email and by text message in Texas under the standard residential lease that 90% of them use. However, you should do it in multiple ways to be sure, so CMRRR is a good idea because it gives you proof of service. The cost of it is certainly less than your landlord trying to screw you. Depending on how you pay rent, I’d include notice with it as well. The more the better.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Talk to an "elder law" attorney in your area asap.

And have them figure out how to put your FIL’s assets in something protected like a trust. You are going to have to consider whether liquidating your FIL’s assets now is going to be better long term. You also need things like wills, DNRs, etc.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I accidentally assaulted someone at the park today with my Hydroflask.

I was at my local park today. It was starting to get dark and so I started making my way back to my car. I had my AirPods in with music playing while carrying my phone and keys in my left hand and my Hydroflask in my right. For those who do not know, a Hydroflask is a brand that makes reusable metal water bottles. Anyways, I was almost to my car when I heard someone yell something that I couldn’t make out since my music was playing and felt someone wrap their hand around my wrist.

I panicked and in my panic I swung my Hydroflask and hit a young man in who looked to be about in his mid twenties (not his real name of course). My bottle water was almost completely filled and had a good amount of weight to it. The blow hit him just above the eyebrow and the wound began gushing blood.

He screamed and starting cursing at me calling me several expletives and said he “just wanted to ask for my number”. I ran to my car and he told me to stop as he was going to call the police. The police came and took both our statements as to what happened. I was not arrested but now the guy is telling me he is going to sue me for his medical bills.

I feel this was self defense as I am 5’3, 120 pounds and this guy is was easily about 5’9 and 150 pounds. However, I understand that what I “feel” is not going to help me in court. So does this guy have a case? I don’t know if I should hire a lawyer or what the next step is. I would greatly appreciate any advice as to what to do now.

Criminal law folks, what say ye? IANAL but this looks defensible to me.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
If charges are going to be filed against anyone its going to be the loving creep who grabbed someone's wrist from behind in a park at night.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

thehoodie posted:

If charges are going to be filed against anyone its going to be the loving creep who grabbed someone's wrist from behind in a park at night.

“I just wanted to ask for her number” in a park at night from behind.

Yeah.

Sure.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

D34THROW posted:

Criminal law folks, what say ye? IANAL but this looks defensible to me.

Clocking him in the head wasn't an accident, though justified. That dude's not winning diddly-squat, criminal or civil.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
^^^E: yeah what he said

1. Story is incoherent.

2. Imagine being the kind of creep who assaults/attempt-assault someone in the park at night by attempting to restrain them, then threatens to sue over non-existent medical bills that even theoretically wouldn't cover cost of filing? Bitch move.

3. loving lol suing over that poo poo at all

4. She should probably insist the guy be charged for assault (or battery? whichever one you americans call the you-can't-touch-anyone-without-consent statute).

5. I'm not american and none of what I wrote probably applies because lol america.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

No DA would ever charge that and no plaintiff lawyer would ever take win that case or get a settlement out of it.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I know this was asked already but I can't find it, what's the course of action when your company falsely claims your job is vital, despite not actually being classified as vital? Also, can companies really force you to use sick time when the company is shut down?

The workplace advice blog Ask a Manager just posted a state-by-state breakdown of who you can contact that's supposed to be enforcing the current lockdown orders on employers. I can't speak to whether the relevant authority will actually do anything where you happen to live, but if you wanna try calling someone, you can probably find out who to call.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Phil Moscowitz posted:

No DA would ever charge that and no plaintiff lawyer would ever take win that case or get a settlement out of it.

Get real. We don't know the race of the participants.

If this guy's black and the other dude's white and has a visible injury and talked to the cop first, then . .

I've seen dumber cases get charged.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

EwokEntourage posted:

Yea everyone should read up on the head of Nissan that’s in jail in japan. Crazy stuff

Hi from the past! I'm reading through some old posts in this thread, and I just came across this post that seemed worth resurfacing.

For people not familiar, the Crazy Stuff Ewok mentioned isn't anywhere as crazy as what happened after: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2020-01-14/how-nissan-s-carlos-ghosn-was-smuggled-out-of-japan

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Get real. We don't know the race of the participants.

If this guy's black and the other dude's white and has a visible injury and talked to the cop first, then . .

I've seen dumber cases get charged.

It’s (almost certainly) a woman. Even if she’s black that’s an unlikely charge.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Yeah I assumed woman.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

fake as hell/viral marketing for hydroflask

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I believe it's real if only because no hydroflask owner could mention their water bottle without being sure to state the brand name and explain it as if anyone on this planet doesn't know what they are by now

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

BonerGhost posted:

I believe it's real if only because no hydroflask owner could mention their water bottle without being sure to state the brand name and explain it as if anyone on this planet doesn't know what they are by now

So katanas for fit trendy assholes?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Outrail posted:

So katanas for fit trendy assholes?

Or BMWs.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

blarzgh posted:

Nobody likes to laugh at the Cheeto as much as I do, but I don't think he's wrong about the way they use the word "Hoax" there.

It's really unfortunate that they did that because they didn't need to. The rest of the ad was fire but that moment really kneecaps it pretty good.

There's no need to exaggerate or TRY to make him look worse than he already has, especially when you give him and his zealots a legitimate SEE? SEE? Fake news! gripe :(

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

TheKevman posted:

It's really unfortunate that they did that because they didn't need to. The rest of the ad was fire but that moment really kneecaps it pretty good.

There's no need to exaggerate or TRY to make him look worse than he already has, especially when you give him and his zealots a legitimate SEE? SEE? Fake news! gripe :(

They'll say that regardless of what you use, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starpluck
Sep 11, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
What would the laws be for Level 5 Full-Self Driving and being under the influence of alcohol/drugs?