Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Midnight Voyager posted:

I mean, it's a funny dig, but if the Internet Archive has pirated books up, that's also pretty not legal. Writers gotta pay bills too.
Does this apply to non-digital libraries too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Everything has a cost

What did it cost you?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I thought this was more well known/notorious I guess.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Data Graham posted:

I thought this was more well known/notorious I guess.

Weird. I don't think it's working.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vib Rib posted:

Does this apply to non-digital libraries too?

Libraries generally loan out books and ebooks in a legal manner. There was actually a lawsuit again the Internet Archive about this. It did not go in their favor.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Midnight Voyager posted:

Libraries generally loan out books and ebooks in a legal manner. There was actually a lawsuit again the Internet Archive about this. It did not go in their favor.

Was there? I can't find references to it if there was.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Midnight Voyager posted:

I mean, it's a funny dig, but if the Internet Archive has pirated books up, that's also pretty not legal. Writers gotta pay bills too.

https://twitter.com/silviamg/status/1244075908958318592

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2020/03/internet-archive-offers-thousands-of-copyrighted-books-for-free-online/

it's an expansion to their previous efforts as a legal non-profit library, heading into what are uncharted waters legally in the US

far from pirating

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Midnight Voyager posted:

Increasingly realizing I don't actually care about how the courts found on digital libraries

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Was there? I can't find references to it if there was.

There are... a lot of things to wade through trying to read about the legal issues of the Internet Archive. Looking back at what I was reading, I think I conflated two lawsuits, which is my bad!

The legality is at best really complicated. I guess I can't get mad at people who are upset that their work was put up for download by anybody for free when it's work they make a living writing.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Internet Archive has provided more to the world than every terrible writer complaining about it combined. Abolish copyright and let a million knock off Homers bloom.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

T-man posted:

Internet Archive has provided more to the world than every terrible writer complaining about it combined. Abolish copyright and let a million knock off Homers bloom.

If you want to abolish writing as a profession, I guess, go ahead. It'd be nice if you waited until we got universal income before that particular revolution.

Speaking of revolution, other things Trapt is into, statutory rape as long as the older one is a woman.

https://twitter.com/TRAPTOFFICIAL/status/1243225599444946944

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Midnight Voyager posted:

If you want to abolish writing as a profession, I guess, go ahead. It'd be nice if you waited until we got universal income before that particular revolution.

Speaking of revolution, other things Trapt is into, statutory rape as long as the older one is a woman.

Conservative brain really is not growing past high school wishful thinking. Literally everything they think can be understood through that perspective and it's just sad.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Memento posted:

"lol you don't know how to balance a checkbook" is the exact same energy as "lol you don't know what the red room they're processing photographs in from Stranger Things is"

Nah, it's even more obscure. People generally absorb knowledge of some technical details and processing analogue photography isn't that obscure.

Checks, though, are antiques. I have seen one check in my entire life (health insurance gave money back for some reason) and I had to ask the post office what the gently caress I should do with it. If you told me to balance a checkbook I'd tell you to perform your circus tricks yourself.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/angusmacneilsnp/status/1244043247422443521?s=21

The Venn diagram being a circle continues:

https://twitter.com/angusmacneilsnp/status/1228835901935144960?s=21

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Sadly checks are going to be a thing until the last boomer hands his business over to his kids because in their mind real business is done by checks and firm handshakes

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Midnight Voyager posted:

I don't think the internet archive will abolish writing as a profession

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Vib Rib posted:

I'm gonna assume this was a particularly bad comic.

Yesterday a new TV show, Vagrant Queen, aired its pilot on SyFy. The show is based on a comic written by Magdalene Visaggio, and both the comic and the show are quite queer and LGBT+ friendly.

Mags tweeted this:

https://twitter.com/MagsVisaggs/status/1243942642154700801

And the IOSM tweet I posted was in reply to that, and was saying basically "why are you using lesbians as a gimmick to sell, can't you just write a better story?".

Mags roasted him, by the way.

https://twitter.com/MagsVisaggs/status/1243986448665247744

Dude ended up deleting his account.

(But yes, I should really learn to screenshot tweets.)

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
A character being gay, or trans, or even anything other than a straight white male is an unsolvable riddle for these people. They always say "I don't mind it, as long as it's not forced" but there's literally no such thing as non-forced to them. Visible in any way is forced. Writers doing it because they wanted to, personally, is them bowing down to some invisible politically correct threat they got strongarmed into. Or it's propaganda. Or it's token. Or it's pandering or virtue signaling or whatever. They keep saying, over and over into loving infinity, that so long as it's done just so, they'd be totally okay with a minority lead or a queer romance or whatever else, honest. But there is no sweet spot. It doesn't exist. There's no ideal media. They tell these people to stop forcing their radical ideas like "trans people exist" into existing shows and comics and games, and go write their own stuff. Then when people do just that, they flip. And even if you managed to make the most subtle, easily-ignored, minor hint of The Other, they'd just ask "well then if it wasn't important, why did you include it? Seems like more tokenism."

These people have been telling the same lies for years. The only real problem is that some people believe them.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Antigravitas posted:

Nah, it's even more obscure. People generally absorb knowledge of some technical details and processing analogue photography isn't that obscure.

Checks, though, are antiques. I have seen one check in my entire life (health insurance gave money back for some reason) and I had to ask the post office what the gently caress I should do with it. If you told me to balance a checkbook I'd tell you to perform your circus tricks yourself.

Behold my power! :science: You keep a small ledger where you write down any checks you've written as well as any withdrawals or deposits to your bank account, and around once a month you sit down and make sure it all adds up to what your bank says is in that account. It's actually a really useful skill in the sense that it's really basic accounting and if you've ever kept a budget or anything else where you tracked expense then you're doing the exact same thing.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

https://mobile.twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/1244186031752175616

Read replies to see how Kevin is as thick as pig-poo poo.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

there wolf posted:

Behold my power! :science: You keep a small ledger where you write down any checks you've written as well as any withdrawals or deposits to your bank account, and around once a month you sit down and make sure it all adds up to what your bank says is in that account. It's actually a really useful skill in the sense that it's really basic accounting and if you've ever kept a budget or anything else where you tracked expense then you're doing the exact same thing.

So it's basically personal double entry accounting for the pre-digital age? That is indeed useful.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Vib Rib posted:

A character being gay, or trans, or even anything other than a straight white male is an unsolvable riddle for these people. They always say "I don't mind it, as long as it's not forced" but there's literally no such thing as non-forced to them. Visible in any way is forced. Writers doing it because they wanted to, personally, is them bowing down to some invisible politically correct threat they got strongarmed into. Or it's propaganda. Or it's token. Or it's pandering or virtue signaling or whatever. They keep saying, over and over into loving infinity, that so long as it's done just so, they'd be totally okay with a minority lead or a queer romance or whatever else, honest. But there is no sweet spot. It doesn't exist. There's no ideal media. They tell these people to stop forcing their radical ideas like "trans people exist" into existing shows and comics and games, and go write their own stuff. Then when people do just that, they flip. And even if you managed to make the most subtle, easily-ignored, minor hint of The Other, they'd just ask "well then if it wasn't important, why did you include it? Seems like more tokenism."

These people have been telling the same lies for years. The only real problem is that some people believe them.

Unfortunately there is some catch-22 element to it, where even today by having a gay or trans or even POC protagonist in a movie/show/etc means it gets perceived by audiences as a "gay movie" or "black movie" or some such. So in their minds they're making a solid argument that by putting marginalized characters front and center, unless the story is specifically about their marginalized nature, you're "distracting" from the main story and pigeonholing the movie away from where most people will be interested in seeing it.

What they're missing (or refusing to absorb because really they just can't bear to imagine not being the target audience for all things) is that the way you change this is by doing it anyway.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

This is kind of an interesting thought process to me. I hate the direction they took with it, trying to say that "sex denialism" is harmful to women. But I wonder if we, as a whole society, didn't define people so much by their genitals, and just let people be however they naturally are, without regards to their gender, would true transgenderism still exist? Like for example if "feminine boys" were just another person without any kind of stigma. I think it would still exist. I think there are definitely people that have that feeling of truly needing to be the other gender. But it's an interesting thought as I just wonder if as many people would fully transition if our whole society was not based on what gender you were born as in the first place and if people just were people. I can see how that could lead to people delegitimizing trans issues through that thought process though. Like, do you reaaallllyyy need to change your genitals or hormones? Well, sure, if that's what you really want. But how much of that desire is just to please society and not just yourself? I'm a cis woman so I'm sorry if what I'm saying is ignorant. I want to learn and I do support the right to be trans. In society as it is now. But what if things were different? Would transgenderism even be needed?

I dunno where I'm going with this really but it just kind of made me think of gender under a different perspective and I found it an interesting thought. Anyway it's kind of moot as it's not like gender can just disappear from society, not in our lifetime at least.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
There's an actual problem with our current understanding of medicine in that it tends to focus on how treatments affects male bodies, which can mean those treatments can potentially be less effective for female bodies and we just don't know because we didn't look into that aspect of research and testing. But that has nothing to do with what the article was talking about.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Dixville posted:

This is kind of an interesting thought process to me. I hate the direction they took with it, trying to say that "sex denialism" is harmful to women. But I wonder if we, as a whole society, didn't define people so much by their genitals, and just let people be however they naturally are, without regards to their gender, would true transgenderism still exist? Like for example if "feminine boys" were just another person without any kind of stigma. I think it would still exist. I think there are definitely people that have that feeling of truly needing to be the other gender. But it's an interesting thought as I just wonder if as many people would fully transition if our whole society was not based on what gender you were born as in the first place and if people just were people. I can see how that could lead to people delegitimizing trans issues through that thought process though. Like, do you reaaallllyyy need to change your genitals or hormones? Well, sure, if that's what you really want. But how much of that desire is just to please society and not just yourself? I'm a cis woman so I'm sorry if what I'm saying is ignorant. I want to learn and I do support the right to be trans. In society as it is now. But what if things were different? Would transgenderism even be needed?

I dunno where I'm going with this really but it just kind of made me think of gender under a different perspective and I found it an interesting thought. Anyway it's kind of moot as it's not like gender can just disappear from society, not in our lifetime at least.

Nah.

Body dysphoria is real and can be devastatingly strong, that wouldn't just go away.

There is no "true transgenderism", ugh, just a massive spectrum of experiences.

Eliminating the categorizations of "masculine" girls and "effeminate" boys and just letting them be would be great, but that has nothing to do with being trans.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

CYBEReris posted:

Nah.

Body dysphoria is real and can be devastatingly strong, that wouldn't just go away.

There is no "true transgenderism", ugh, just a massive spectrum of experiences.

Eliminating the categorizations of "masculine" girls and "effeminate" boys and just letting them be would be great, but that has nothing to do with being trans.

I think that makes sense. Like I said I am just a cis woman I really don't know that much about trans issues. But it was an interesting thought exercise for me.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

There are some trans people who don't have any body dysphoria; just dressing as their chosen gender and having the world recognising them as such is enough for them, no medical transition needed. They are still valid as trans people.

On the other hand, some people have crippling body dysphoria, and they have to medically transition to be able to cope and just function.

Neither of these two categories are what those idiots are going on about.

According to them, there is no such thing as a trans person. All trans men are really just masculine women, who "decide to transition because society is much more tolerant of a trans man than a butch cis woman." Or they're just confused. And of course all trans women are dangerous predators, men who only pretend to be trans to be able to "infiltrate women's spaces."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
There are also some people with DID (I got this from one that I know), where the personalities have different genders, and sometimes there isn't any dysphoria because the one that differs from the body's gender doesn't really think of the body as "theirs" so there isn't a conflict for them. The body is just where they happen to be to interact with the world.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Yep. Everything is magnificently complicated. The human experience is a marvelous spectrum. No one person is the same as the other. We're all, if you'll forgive the term, "special snowflakes".

Which is why I get extremely mad when I see idiots try to Well Actually and dismiss a whole wealth of experiences they can never begin to comprehend.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Midnight Voyager posted:

Don't worry, it's allowable.

https://twitter.com/mike_salter/status/1212888057252171776

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Andrast posted:

I don't think the internet archive will abolish writing as a profession

rip all the professional writers now out of work because people read their poo poo for free and said "wow this person is a good writer, y'all should read their poo poo here's a link to read it for free"

wait poo poo I can't find any examples of this happening and it not being good for the writer

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Dixville posted:

true transgenderism

I'm a cis woman so I'm sorry if what I'm saying is ignorant.
that was pretty obvious

Really ignorant and kind of offensive to write paragraphs upon paragraphs of your personal thoughts on the true nature of an oppressed class that you don't even loving belong to

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

InediblePenguin posted:

that was pretty obvious

Really ignorant and kind of offensive to write paragraphs upon paragraphs of your personal thoughts on the true nature of an oppressed class that you don't even loving belong to

Nice job alienating someone who dares to try to come to an understanding about something less familiar to them.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Who What Now posted:

male bodies
female bodies

I no joke encountered a TERF type on Twitter who used the terms "impregnator" and "gestator" instead.

They took the dehumanization to the logical extreme I guess.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

PizzaProwler posted:

Nice job alienating someone who dares to try to come to an understanding about something less familiar to them.

Every oppressed group has to explain basic poo poo to clueless "ally" outsiders 10 million times a day. It's not the job of the oppressed to politely, calmly give babby's first lesson over and over again so "allies" can agree that hmm yes they get it now, especially in the age of Google.

This dumb poo poo gets old as a queer and a jew and I'm certain it's ten times worse for trans people.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

wow, an actual "how can they learn if you don't teach them," in 2020

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I guess I shouldn't be surprised that calm discussion is no longer encouraged.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

PizzaProwler posted:

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that calm discussion is no longer encouraged.

:flag: Tone policing. Ten yard penalty, still second down.

waffleman
Aug 5, 2007

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY
it really ties the nation together
Yeah for real... Like if you find it too tedious to explain poo poo maybe just don't post about it rather than being an rear end in a top hat to someone who was earnestly trying to learn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Doc Hawkins posted:

wow, an actual "how can they learn if you don't teach them," in 2020

This exact progression of conversation points is "how they learn"

It worked on me at any rate