Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Razzled posted:

i really like the way they look. especially with those cheap orange air filters for the front fairing

Lol I still run them purely for looks after buying the powercell filters :D

also thank you for the kind words friends. I’ve been reading through gregor halenda‘s build threads on advrider and elsewhere and been inspired by his photography. he also makes incredible bieks:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
That is totally awesome except for the pipe. What is it with custom people that they will spend years on the appearance of a bike and not even think once about the sound? Cause I know how boxers sound with loud pipes, and it's bad. And I know how pipes like THAT sound, and it's bad. Is it that people just have no taste in music? Or that they never intended the bike to be started in the first place?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
It's because all taste is subjective, friend

Some people enjoy a cup of warm urine in the morning, and that's okay

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

That is totally awesome except for the pipe. What is it with custom people that they will spend years on the appearance of a bike and not even think once about the sound? Cause I know how boxers sound with loud pipes, and it's bad. And I know how pipes like THAT sound, and it's bad. Is it that people just have no taste in music? Or that they never intended the bike to be started in the first place?

yeah I’ve seen / heard him ride it quite a bit out in the tillamook state forest and it isn’t too much louder than some of the other dumb poo poo people ride out in the woods

iirc though that exhaust was one of the things that was built before he bought and finished the bike. last I heard (before covid) was that he was planning on selling it to build a similar one completely from scratch since he got an english wheel for forming fairings, but who knows what burner that’s on now :(

here’s the build thread on advrider: https://advrider.com/f/threads/airhead-dakar-rally-bike.893613/

OP is the original builder of the frame / fairing, sakurama is halenda who shows up later to rebuild it and finish it. he also has an AWD KTM 950 build thread that is super interesting too

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I should get heated gloves.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Lookout Mountain?

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Yeah, surprisingly empty this morning. Just me, a few cyclists and a cop at the bottom. Was there last Sunday afternoon on my bicycle and it was a total shitshow.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Guess it's summer now.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Its been cold here, but riding is good.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

a good place for a good strom

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

a good place for a good strom

Its actually on a regular tarmac road, but it was nice ride there :shobon:

I need to go back as theres firepit there, so I could have coffee around a fire on the seashore rock, which would own bones

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I got a deep sense of nostalgia from looking at that photo. Not sure if it's a filter, or natural lighting, but it looks like a Polaroid that has been sitting in a drawer for 20 years.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

2010 Fatboy Lo kitted out as a Roadking just shorter.

The accessories are all QD so I usually only have the saddlebags on. Trunk and windshield only go on for trips.

Same setup as my 2002 sportster but needed the wider seat. I got some tailbone damage when I got Tboned on my sportster so I can only ride the sporty for 20 minutes or so before my tailbone killing me.

Going to lower the sporty and keep it as a spare/loaner.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The sporty is magnificent.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

yeah that is a gorgeous bike dude

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Didn’t think much of the look of HDs until you posted that. It’s really nice and clean.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Well, I always had Kawasakis started on a broken/wrecked 86 ninja.

Then found a 76 Kz900 for $100 rode that til I had a bent shifter fork.

Years later wanted to ride again and sold the KZ for $1000 and got a 91 zephyr 550 that I'm pretty sure I posted in here.

Paid $1100 for the zephyr and got backed over by a truck 3 days later so I got a free paintjob. Had to wait months to get the parts from japan which sucked. But it looked awesome after.

Rode it about 15k miles and did some light touring.

Zephyr was great but too small and I put on enough miles that I wanted to find something that didn't need valve adjustments.

Which lead me to harley. Hydraulic valves run off oil pressure and self adjust. And compared to the wacky vintage/rare kawasakis I had been riding sportster parts are everywhere. Sold the Zephyr for $1600 and traded up to a 2002 Sportster 1200 that looked like absolute poo poo.

But it was clean, had 14k miles and was the last year for carb/solidmount/tranny trapdoor and I got it for only a bit more than my zephyr sold for. Harley is pretty dumb in my opinion because they make a 48 and a 72 sportster but not a 57. You can't just buy a bike that looks like a 50s k model/sportster.

Maybe I watched IQ too much as a kid but the K model/early sportsters are my favorite styling.

https://youtu.be/UO3L2aMYIhA

The fork boots/nacelle styling were to compete with the British competition from BSA, Triumph and Norton that was eating harleys marketshare in the 50s. Early sportsters even shifted on the right like the british bikes.

So I decided I would make my own but cheap and using mostly stock parts so I could fix anything if I broke down away from home. Luckily on a sportster all of the parts are dirt cheap and everywhere. Crashbar was $40 nib on ebay instead of $300 for example. Fork boots I made out of 4x4 shock boots from amazon. Grips are drag specialty retros. Beach bars came from a motorcycle catalog dealer return liquidation place for $5. Etc...

Only hard part was the Nacelle headlight. It was only used on a limited production Dyna and was discontinued. NIB replacements were $600 on ebay. MSRP was only $200 so I took a chance and asked the local dealer to do a parts lookup and they found a dealer somewhere that had one and I think I only paid $225 after they added their cut which was a stroke of luck.

I like how it turned out

I always get people that ask if I restored it at gas stations because they think it's an old bike. I always tell then to look at the wheels. I should have gone with spokes but the safety/maintenance/performance hit made me stick with Mags.

But after the tboning I needed a bigger seat so I found the fatboy. Previous owner went the opposite way and paid $20k for the bike and then financed $6k of accessories to make it look like a roadking. Stock it was much more industrial looking.

Still the same exact styling cues I liked and I got the fatboy in 2018 with 14k miles for $7400. I kept seeing it popup on FB market place for months and watched the price drop from 15K until I gave in.

I did put on a fuelpack3 and mess with a few things but it's exactly what I would have done without having to pay for the accessories.

The Fatboy did make me realize a few things.

1. The sporty is way lighter/faster

2. The sporty is super cramped with mids

3. The sporty sits way too high.

The fatboy low is actually the lowest stock seat height of any harley so it's a bit weird because I end up scraping floorboards regularly especially if the tires are the least bit low. But the sporty I can barely flat foot. I'm 5'10". I ordered a lowering kit for the sporty and a preload wrench for the fatboy so I can try to raise it up a bit.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Apr 30, 2020

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Update: just had the internet reach out and touch me.

I just googled that dyna headlight to see what it was off of.

1. The harley switchback was based off a dyna and came out after I made mine. It has a way more 50s looking nacelle. Would go that route if I were doing it again.

2. There now appears to be a chinese reproduction of the harley Nacelle I bought. It's $200 on aliexpress.
Aliexpress Listing

3. One of the Aliexpress sellers also has it listed on their website for $300. They stole my photos of my bike to use in their product pics. They also stole a bunch more of my photos including build photos from my blog and posted them in several different fake reviews of the product lol.

Their page

My Blog post

Edit: Their product reviews automatically post so I left one.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Apr 30, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Every time I see a Zephyr, I fall back in love with them. Its like peak UJM and I think they're gorgeous bikes

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I was wondering about the sportster headlight, it's so perfect.

Did you have to do any camshaft related buggery on the TC bike?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Every time I see a Zephyr, I fall back in love with them. Its like peak UJM and I think they're gorgeous bikes

Whenever I see a zephyr it makes me miss my zrx, because the best use of a zephyr is as a swingarm upgrade donor for the zrx.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Slavvy posted:

I was wondering about the sportster headlight, it's so perfect.

Did you have to do any camshaft related buggery on the TC bike?

The fatboy is a 2010 with the 96B TC motor.

Around 2005-2007 they made some changes when they bumped the Twin Cam to 96CI. Notably revisions to the cam and primarily chain tensioner systems that resolved the issues with the cam tensioner shoes crumbling after 15k miles and killing the oil pump/blowing the motor.

Only issues I've had were the 96 runs super hot. This was exacerbated by the previous owner swapping the stock mufflers that had a Catalytic converter in them for Rush pipes. So the bike was setup super lean for EPA reasons and was also setup for a more restricted exhaust. The combo lead to the heat from the rear cylinder/ oil tank roasting my right thigh.

I got a leather heat shield that deflects some of the heat but it was still way hotter than times I'd been stuck in traffic in the dead of summer on the sporty.

Putting the FuelPak3 on and using the Autotune let me richen up the programming and has dropped the heat to bearable levels for all the riding I did last summer.

My bike has the Parade mode where it kills the rear cylinder and just pumps air through it to cool it down but it only turns on when the engine is pretty much overheated which I have never managed to do. The newer models you can manually turn it on by rolling the throttle back when stuck in traffic to keep temps lower before roasting yourself.

Aside from that all I have done is standard oil/brake fluid changes, lube the control/cables, adjust the clutch, replace plugs, replace tires and put gas in it. Have only put about 6k miles on the fatboy in the year and a half I've had it.

I put around 16k miles on the sporty with the same basic maintenance. Only issue the sporty has developed is a small oil leak around the jug base gaskets. Not enough of a leak that I want to address it. And it's probably a mixture of the standard leak exacerbated by the fact that I wouldn't let it warm up for 5 minutes before riding to keep from annoying the neighbors.

At some point I will get the metal gasket kit and pull the sporty jugs and fix it. But it will probably be a few more years before the leak gets bad enough to actually worry about. Might as well buff the cases/forks and clean everything up when I get to that point. The sporty was rode hard and put away wet and aside from minor cosmetics has been a trooper.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
My ride is nowhere near as exciting as most of yours, but I love it all the same. I've cleaned it up some since this picture, but it'd be hard to take a better one at 2 AM :v:

It's a 1983 Kawasaki KZ750-F* (or 750 LTD if you prefer) that I picked up for about $1150 a few days ago. It has 15000ish miles, clean title, runs well and hasn't been messed up by some amateur chop artist, and is easy enough to work on for a dumb novice mechanic like me. I've wanted something to ride ever since I sold my Vino 125 a few years ago, but I didn't know how much I needed it until now. :unsmith:

The annoying part is trying to find gear, since most of the places around here are understandably skittish about letting people try on clothes and helmets and stuff. One of the local dealerships was nice enough to let me try on and buy a helmet after a bit of whining, and I scored an old leather jacket off of my dad, so at least I'm not completely naked and doomed. The only annoyance with the bike itself is that it's sometimes fussy about starting (sometimes it fires right up with a bit of choke, sometimes I have to set the choke EXACTLY right then tap the start button about once a second for a bit before it fires up), and probably running a bit rich, but hey, I told myself I wanted to learn how to fix cars and motorcycles, time to put up or shut up run it over to the local vintage bike mechanic in shame.

* at least I'm pretty sure it's a -F; the amount of KZ750 variants Kawasaki made is mind-boggling. It has shaft drive, the 74HP engine, and adjustable suspension, so it's probably an -F? Or a -M, or a Spectre that had some bodywork replaced.

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 08:41 on May 3, 2020

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Nice! Get a police fairing for it. Those look amazing

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

My ride is nowhere near as exciting as most of yours, but I love it all the same. I've cleaned it up some since this picture, but it'd be hard to take a better one at 2 AM :v:

It's a 1983 Kawasaki KZ750-F* (or 750 LTD if you prefer) that I picked up for about $1150 a few days ago. It has 15000ish miles, clean title, runs well and hasn't been messed up by some amateur chop artist, and is easy enough to work on for a dumb novice mechanic like me. I've wanted something to ride ever since I sold my Vino 125 a few years ago, but I didn't know how much I needed it until now. :unsmith:

The annoying part is trying to find gear, since most of the places around here are understandably skittish about letting people try on clothes and helmets and stuff. One of the local dealerships was nice enough to let me try on and buy a helmet after a bit of whining, and I scored an old leather jacket off of my dad, so at least I'm not completely naked and doomed. The only annoyance with the bike itself is that it's sometimes fussy about starting (sometimes it fires right up with a bit of choke, sometimes I have to set the choke EXACTLY right then tap the start button about once a second for a bit before it fires up), and probably running a bit rich, but hey, I told myself I wanted to learn how to fix cars and motorcycles, time to put up or shut up run it over to the local vintage bike mechanic in shame.

* at least I'm pretty sure it's a -F; the amount of KZ750 variants Kawasaki made is mind-boggling. It has shaft drive, the 74HP engine, and adjustable suspension, so it's probably an -F? Or a -M, or a Spectre that had some bodywork replaced.

Nice older bike! Might be worth looking at the plugs before you start thinking about rich/lean, and seeing if the air filter is clean.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I got my DRZ back from storage at my parents and finally got some good riding in this weekend. Over the winter, I got some proper DOT knobbies (D606s) took out the snorkel and rejetted, and repainted the header.

Then I went down a Class VI "road" and got stuck in some muck, learning 2 things. 1) Just send it (wouldn't have gotten stuck if I kept my speed up)

And 2) don't put your stuff on the ground behind you

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
^^^^^ Good looking DRZ doing DRZ things I love it. How did you clean your fragile visor without scratching it after that? D:

Yesterday I went out for a quick errand. Just to drop something in a mailbox, that's all. Ended up doing TWO HUNDRED AND SIXTY FIVE MILES instead. Ranged out through regions and roads of Georgia I'd never seen, just picking a direction and sticking too it, north, then west. Absolutely incredible ride. Felt almost like I was moto touring again.

I love this hawk so freakin much. It's such a blast to ride.

Running down these endless curvy countryside roads, engine purring under me, was unparalleled. Couldn't have asked for better weather, though I was glad for my winter gloves in the top box and heated jacket by the end of the day.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 10, 2020

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Beautiful! I went on a ride through the Mississippi river delta last weekend, the weather was perfect.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Coydog posted:

^^^^^ Good looking DRZ doing DRZ things I love it. How did you clean your fragile visor without scratching it after that? D:

Yesterday I went out for a quick errand. Just to drop something in a mailbox, that's all. Ended up doing TWO HUNDRED AND SIXTY FIVE MILES instead. Ranged out through regions and roads of Georgia I'd never seen, just picking a direction and sticking too it, north, then west. Absolutely incredible ride. Felt almost like I was moto touring again.

I love this hawk so freakin much. It's such a blast to ride.

Running down these endless curvy countryside roads, engine purring under me, was unparalleled. Couldn't have asked for better weather, though I was glad for my winter gloves in the top box and heated jacket by the end of the day.

I had to get gas at the next town I got to anyway, so I used the squeegee at the pump. It was mediocre, but the scratches are mostly outside of my vision. Gave it a proper cleaning when I was home.

And the riding you described, pointing a general direction and going, is easily the best.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

took the r40 out so I could clear out my temporary work home and move my poo poo elsewhere in nashville

gonna do part of the TAT this next weekend I think; should be excellent times :D

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Another KTM added to the stable. This was up on FB marketplace for six minutes before my teenage son messaged the dude and we made the 90 minute drive up to grab it. ‘06 KTM SX450 - 53 stupid hp in a 255lb bike.

Loaded up and ready to come home

Size comparison with our RT100

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That’s over 100 pounds lighter than my R3 with more horsepower. I bet it’s so fun.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Someone lit the beacon of Ninja in another thread

Inaugural ride with my new pipe. Next time I’ll try not to clutter it with gear :(

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I love my R3 and I’ve only been riding a year and 3500 miles so it’s doing the job.

That said I really want a 650 and a zx6r slightly more.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Martytoof posted:

Someone lit the beacon of Ninja in another thread

Inaugural ride with my new pipe. Next time I’ll try not to clutter it with gear :(
Yes, good, post all Ninjas, that's one of their best color schemes too!

Man I want a 650. Seems like they're in the perfect sweet spot of a do pretty much anything (on road) bike.

Rolo posted:

I love my R3 and I’ve only been riding a year and 3500 miles so it’s doing the job.

That said I really want a 650 and a zx6r slightly more.
The small displacements are awesome in a lot of ways, fun to ride just about anywhere and cheap on insurance, gas, and maintenance.

ZX-6R is great though. Out of the handful of bikes I've ridden, it's probably my favorite.

e: got some newer pictures recently

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 18, 2020

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I like the 2020 650 updates but none of the colors do much for me. The all white is my favorite but it’s just a white bike with one ugly green ninja sticker on the side. Even the 650 KRT looks a little off to me.

Now the 2019 zx6r in black/grey with the blue decals? Incredible looking all around.

Edit: oh wow the KRT ZX is :discourse:. I don’t know what it is about the 650 KRT that just doesn’t do it like this one. Maybe it’s the brown.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 18, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I love my ‘18 to death but I do think the styling of the 2020 is superior, TFT dash aside. It has a bit sleeker look than the “chonky shark” which is the ‘17-19. Something about the lines of the windscreen and front cowl. Was dead set on the space grey however so that was that :3:

Rolo posted:

I like the 2020 650 updates but none of the colors do much for me. The all white is my favorite but it’s just a white bike with one ugly green ninja sticker on the side. Even the 650 KRT looks a little off to me.

Now the 2019 zx6r in black/grey with the blue decals? Incredible looking all around.

Edit: oh wow the KRT ZX is :discourse:. I don’t know what it is about the 650 KRT that just doesn’t do it like this one. Maybe it’s the brown.

The all-white is so nice from afar and in photos but the one I sat on at the moto show pre-plague kind of put me off. It’s a very matte white that feels very cheap looking. Like unpainted ABS almost. It’s really hard to articulate.

I’m probably going to pull the 650 decals off my bike at some point. I can’t even think of how I’d lean into that small splash of kawi green unless I decided to just toss in green brake lines or something as an accent.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 18, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
If it hasn't got vacuum cleaner hoses it's not a Ninja, IMO.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dryer hose Ninjas are :kiss:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Gotta work my way up to those or Slavvy'll have my head on a pike :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

The weathers been on and off here for the whole spring, Ive been riding all the sunshine we get. Ended up yesterday through this old road that was curving around the fields, and went through and older estate and along a lakeshore, really lovely. Gonna head up there again once its nice out. Theres a cafe there as well.