Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Watching this thread gradually move from poking fun at other countries attempts to deal with the virus, to indignantly posting that the US only looks bad right now because everyone else is lying about their cases has been pretty funny, I've got to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Because their infection and death rate dropped to close to zero overnight in February. This is extreme levels of magic and isn't realistic from how this is going in the rest of world. Compare it with South Korea, and you see how much of a lie this is.

The top graph is China. These sort of drops are just not possible. This is so incredibly blatant.

Where do you see it dropping close to zero overnight? Are you going to completely ignore the huge spike in the middle of February where China started classifying it differently? Why would a country that's trying to hide their numbers include that huge spike in the middle there?

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFnSmcfKWQo

very good half hour on the corona virus, potential cures, and such

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

I said come in! posted:

You're the one eating up China's propaganda right now. This is the country that originally told the world that human to human transmission of this disease wasn't even possible. But sure, they totally have cured this disease and have some how completely avoided a new wave of the outbreak as they send 1.5 billion people back to work all at once, on top of allowing people to enter the country again, a completely realistic and not at all magic feat.

It's not eating up propaganda to explain why a graph looks a certain way WHILE ACKNOWLEDGING THE LIES THEREIN. I'm disagreeing only with your claim that the numbers disappeared overnight and pointing out what the real lies are.

But hey, go on putting words into my mouth, that's sure to result in something good.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pistol_Pete posted:

Watching this thread gradually move from poking fun at other countries attempts to deal with the virus, to indignantly posting that the US only looks bad right now because everyone else is lying about their cases has been pretty funny, I've got to say.

No one is saying this, the U.S. has looked bad from the very start.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I have it on good authority that the US will be down to zero in no time

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Dear Watson posted:

If you look at sentinel 2 satellite imagery for the periods of February and March you can clearly see 23,000,000 souls floating up to heaven from China. Gotta do a little bandwidth math there but the numbers don’t lie

You can tell all online corona trackers are poo poo cause none of them have kommsussertod.mp3 embedded

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Are there still people posting that masks do nothing or otherwise opposing the idea of universal mask wearing?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Has anyone moved from the USA to Canada and regretted it?

I’m a cool guy, I’ll bring beer and be nice.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Nah people are definitely grasping at straws so at least the US doesn’t look like hands down and by far the worst by pointing fingers at China.

China probably had more die than are officially counted as COVID deaths, and there’s still a chance of resurgence, but they shut down the entire region hardcore and tracked people who got infected etc. and it was clearly very effective.

The US will not do this worth poo poo, and the tree of liberty is going to be well watered. As someone who really really loving doesn’t like China even I find it pathetic how desperate people are to feel better about things by talking about how *surely* China is the worst?!

Centralized totalitarian regimes and compliant populations have a huge advantage when it comes to dealing with something like this; loving deal with it people.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

USA is superior to China in one respect.

China has to pay people to post their propaganda online

USA has true believers and doesn't have to spend a dime.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

This is great!

Bottle-on-head is old and busted. Vacuum-cleaner-bag-on-head is the new hotness.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I’m tired, as many others are likely too, of this China vs USA slapfight. China lied and hosed up. Trump lied and hosed up. Let’s post other rona news.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Just took my toddler out for a drive because he's going stir crazy, and saw they finally closed the local park walking track with a chain across the parking lot gate and a big sign saying it's closed due to covid-19.

Wouldn't you know it, there was a line of parked cars along the road and just as many boomers walking the track as there would be on any other Sunday morning.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Would Burt have been on that cruise if he modded pet island or the Warhammer figurines subforum instead of gbs??

Lead By Example
Jul 17, 2009

I buy and resell Pokemon cards for a living. If you're ever looking to sell your childhood, please reach out!
Fallen Rib
Took my test last Sunday in the US and still haven't gotten the result yet. Called the clinic, and they said they started testing last Thursday and that none of their results were in yet.

Times is tough.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

Bottle-on-head is old and busted. Vacuum-cleaner-bag-on-head is the new hotness.

Wow, y'all have big vacuum bags. Is this an america thing?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I said come in! posted:

US Corona virus response 10/10 perfect in every way.

Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004

I've got a couple of hiking scarfs made of wool and cotton and have debating on using them if I need to go out, but I am not sure based on what I'm reading if it's a stupid idea. The only person I've seen wearing a surgical mask around here was a guy I saw at an ATM about 2 weeks ago.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Do ball gags help prevent corona virus spread

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

I think I figured out why Danish authorities are weirdly optimistic and our numbers are surprisingly low compared to other countries despite our sloppy lockdown. If we make the hypothesis that Covid-19 severity strongly correlates with the amount of exposure to virus, either during incubation or during the entire course of infection - and we also make the assumption that infection has been spreading for longer and more widely than initially expected, then Scandinavia has a unique advantage:

Compared to other cultures: We're antisocial. We have small households. We have many people with no children. We don't visit our parents or grandparents. We don't have many friends. We don't often have people over for dinner. We don't often eat at restaurants. We work short hours at the office. Working from home is common. We discharge people from hospitals as soon as possible, and generally try to avoid actual hospitalization of any but the critically ill. We're xenophobic (except Sweden) and refuse to accept any but the bare minimum of refugees. We're boring, cold countries with low tourism. We suck at sports, so stadium-transmission opportunities are minimal. We have social distancing built into our culture in many aspects already. We avoid physical contact, even if hugging has slowly become normal over the last few decades.

TL;DR - we probably have the lowest exposure to other humans of any culture.

These are probably just the insane ramblings of someone with cabin fever. But I have a nagging feeling that population density and social patterns could make a bigger difference than we're used to.

Or we'll hit the exponential wall like everyone else in a few days or weeks and this was just dumb.

bird with big dick posted:

Depends how tight you make them.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

gently caress Man posted:

I've got a couple of hiking scarfs made of wool and cotton and have debating on using them if I need to go out, but I am not sure based on what I'm reading if it's a stupid idea. The only person I've seen wearing a surgical mask around here was a guy I saw at an ATM about 2 weeks ago.

It is a good idea.

https://www.consumer.org.hk/ws_en/news/2020/covid-19-diymasks

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/reuse-face-mask-coronavirus_l_5e78dbf9c5b63c3b6494ad80

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyDtrobkaxg

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Burt Sexual posted:

I’m tired, as many others are likely too, of this China vs USA slapfight. China lied and hosed up. Trump lied and hosed up. Let’s post other rona news.

I'm going to say this very calmly.

You have no issues when it's pages focused on the USA, but when people start rightly pointing out that China is culpable for a fair portion of this, it becomes a "slapfight". Either let people discuss the two major vectors of this or close the thread.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

https://twitter.com/hashtag/MasksAreSexy

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

US Corona virus response 10/10 perfect in every way.

You son of a....

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Pistol_Pete posted:

So is your lack of reading comprehension.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Noblesse Obliged posted:

China has to pay people to post their propaganda online

Plenty of people doing it for free itt

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

VikingSkull posted:

I'm going to say this very calmly.

You have no issues when it's pages focused on the USA, but when people start rightly pointing out that China is culpable for a fair portion of this, it becomes a "slapfight". Either let people discuss the two major vectors of this or close the thread.

I said the blame game thing was old. Discussion around vectors is fine.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sewing? Patterned flannel fabric? Soft elasticated bands? PFFFFFFFFFFFT! Lemme' show you how a REAL MAN makes a safety mask :colbert:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Went to the local Walmart to get a new digital thermometer because our current one bit the dust. What I saw there proves to me (IMO) that Canadians (Albertans in this case) are not getting the loving message and some sort of Chinese-style lockdown is needed to fight this, because people don't seem to think it applies to them.

I glove up, have hand sanitizer in my pocket, and head out. I go in the store, keep a safe distance from everyone and grab the thermometer. I'm being a little paranoid, and purell my hands and rub down the plastic packaging of the thermometer. I go to the checkout (maintaining distance) and pay with my credit card, wipe it down, and put it in my wallet. I get the thermometer back from the cashier and wipe it down. Go home, open the package wipe down the actual thermometer with an alcohol wipe and let it sit for a while. I throw all my clothes in the washing machine, do a load, and have a shower. Maybe over the top, but I have a little one at home and my mother in law is stuck with us for a while, and she's in the danger zone age wise.

What I saw in the ~10 minutes I was in the store:

Old people wiping runny noses and touching everything on the shelves
People bringing in their <10 year old kids who were doing the same as the olds
People coughing into their hands
People not keeping their distance and standing too close to the person in line ahead of them
Lots of people with persistent coughs <despite warnings at the front door telling them not to enter>
Toddlers sitting in grocery carts with bare hands.
Toddlers with single serving drinkable yogurt bottles (obviously picked up in the store) drinking from them.
Karen Boomer in a heated argument with staff because she didn't think the "1 per customer" rule should apply to her.

When I was checking out there was a family of about 8 people sitting on two of the benches at the end of the checkout aisle (they were sitting there when I arrived) who were coughing, and generally acting like they were sharing a booth at a restaurant. The manager approached them and asked them to move along. They accused him of being racist, which put him off balance for a few seconds, then he said that they had been there for over 30 minutes, and should move along as they are coughing, and not obeying the 2m distance rule since everyone has to walk very close to them to leave the store (there was caution tape on the benches). After a few more accusations of racism and a threat to call the CBC about it, they finally left as the manager said he was calling the police. On my way out they were all pretty much blocking the exit door, smoking and spitting big loogies on the ground right where people had to walk.

Trudeau Mk.II is going to have to use the "War Measures Act" to keep Canadians from killing more Canadians.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Det_no posted:

"we are better than china we are better than china!!", i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into an ICU patient on oxygen

Defending China. Pathetic

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Burt Sexual posted:

I said the blame game thing was old. Discussion around vectors is fine.

That's fair, but when discussing the veracity of a nation's claims, sometimes you have to blame them for lying.

That goes for every nation, I'm not just picking on China. America's response from the top down has been far from perfect.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I put the grass receiver thing from the lawnmower on my head and go around like some deformed plague piramyd Head.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Blistex posted:

I get the thermometer back from the cashier and wipe it down

That's all pretty infuriating but did you really need to take the cashiers temperature ?

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I’m headed to the store for a pack of numbers.

Don’t wait up for me.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Holy drat, i thought my local german super market was bad. And you're in Canada, wonder wtf the USians are up to.

Oh right.

https://twitter.com/epconnor/status/1243998038558900224

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Sewing? Patterned flannel fabric? Soft elasticated bands? PFFFFFFFFFFFT! Lemme' show you how a REAL MAN makes a safety mask :colbert:

You'll want to add a little indentation where the rubber bands are on the wire to prevent them from sliding up or down. P cool tho.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
meanwhile, in India

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6439aOtzEWs

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Mithaldu posted:

Holy drat, i thought my local german super market was bad. And you're in Canada, wonder wtf the USians are up to.

Oh right.

https://twitter.com/epconnor/status/1243998038558900224

You'll want to add a little indentation where the rubber bands are on the wire to prevent them from sliding up or down. P cool tho.

SJC is my county, gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Lol