Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
To continue the GTA questions. What do people mean about by the lack of "freedom" in GTA V compared to the PS2 games? I haven't played a GTA since IV and I don't remember anything about it besides the main character being from Yugoslavia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

There are checkpoints in the missions, and if you die you're not free to drive all the way back to the start and try again. Also dying in a mission doesn't cost you all your gear, so you're not free to re-collect that. And you're not free to keep buying dumb houses just for the convenience of saving, because you can save at any point in the phone.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
There are somewhat less side activities (still quite a lot of them though) in GTAV. But I guess one main issue is that the game is really stingy with money - the only way to earn millions is to play the stock market before doing assassinations, anything else (like real estate investments and story missions) gives barely pocket change

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

SelenicMartian posted:

There are checkpoints in the missions, and if you die you're not free to drive all the way back to the start and try again. Also dying in a mission doesn't cost you all your gear, so you're not free to re-collect that. And you're not free to keep buying dumb houses just for the convenience of saving, because you can save at any point in the phone.

Heh, I've been replaying GTA4 and it definitely shows its age. Quite frustrating sometimes.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Ragequit posted:

Speaking of Terraria, does anyone know if it’s possible to reset achievements? I know the SAM tool can untick them, but does that allow them to be achieved again through normal play? I’d like to start from scratch if possible. Achievements often help me discover things I wouldn’t find on my own, so a reset would be nice.

Yes.

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

To continue the GTA questions. What do people mean about by the lack of "freedom" in GTA V compared to the PS2 games? I haven't played a GTA since IV and I don't remember anything about it besides the main character being from Yugoslavia.

The missions in GTA V are heavily scripted and will make you fail if you do anything incorrectly, sometimes even choosing another route to your destination. Car chases are the most obvious examples of scripting - the enemy's car is rubber banded until you have reached a certain point where the script decides you can now catch the guy.

This doesn't happen often in the PS2 era GTA games.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Superanos posted:

The missions in GTA V are heavily scripted and will make you fail if you do anything incorrectly, sometimes even choosing another route to your destination. Car chases are the most obvious examples of scripting - the enemy's car is rubber banded until you have reached a certain point where the script decides you can now catch the guy.

This doesn't happen often in the PS2 era GTA games.

I have very fond memories of some San Andreas mission (I think it's when the two gangs are having a peace meeting and it gets busted by the cops?) where there was a chase/combat sequence I found really difficult as a kid, and then I tried just planting claymores on the enemy cars before the chase started and detonated them as soon as they got in and I was so proud that it worked

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

I don’t know about freedom but there are basically nothing except main missions in GTA5’s single player and a fair number of them are really plodding and boring, even more of them if you don’t care about the characters. The side missions there are in the single player are mini games. You barely get any money so you can’t really gently caress around in the world or even buy the big stuff in it. The cops are very deadly and the player has much less health than in previous games so that also makes it difficult to just cause mayhem for mayhem’s sake.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

SelenicMartian posted:

I unironically agree with this post that these changes are bad.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

GTA 5 is awful and it mystifies me how it still sells gangbusters all the time. Others have pointed out the terrible missions and the lack of money, as well as trimming away your ability to have fun in free roam (super cops, flimsy health, making the cheat codes be both button combo entered and time limited), but the story sucks and is the same one R* has been telling since San Andreas, and probably before, but I don't really remember before then.

Not to mention they went on and on about the heists being this new, big feature and... there's like 7 of them. And you only actually get a payout from like 2, the first and the last.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Don't forget that GTA Online is one of the worst online multiplayer games I've ever played. Overpriced microtransactions, unbalanced DLC, obnoxious to complete missions, awful loading times, rampant hacking,and one of the most toxic communities I've ever seen. Oh, and they'll banhammer you if they think you even thought about picking up modded in money. Getting banned in GTA Online sucks as you lose all your hard earned poo poo. gently caress you Rockstar, I want those thousand hours of my life back. :argh:

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 29, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I am astounded at how pretty and atmospheric Far Cry Primal is. Like... the lack of lighting, for example. Somehow it makes everything more intense. Then there was the next vision quest, which had eyeballs in it - I never expected that I would be asked to hunt down the Venus of Willendorf

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It goes way beyond that stuff, too. For example, in San Andreas, multiple random events can happen simultaneously and interact with each other and the game in general. You might just be driving along and a police chase might happen. The car might be getting away from the cops, but then randomly crash into another car, which just happens to have an aggressive driver who plows the first car into a wall. Then the fleeing gangsters start shooting this car which is ramming them, triggering a pedestrian who carries a gun to start shooting back at them. About then the cops show up and start fighting with everyone. Yeah, this isn't what usually happens, but the fact that almost anything that can happen in the game can happen at any time leads to some amazingly fun and unique moments.

In GTA V, everything locks everything else out. All the "random" events are in fact hyper-scripted and can only really play out one way. If a purse snatcher spawns, every other type of random occurence is prevented from happening until that event ends. The traffic and pedestrians are just window dressing, not part of a world that feels alive. For another example, there's a feature that lets you call the cops - but during about 50% of the content it's disabled, and about half of the rest it will work and the cops will show up but not care that there's a giant gunfight going on.

I still think it's a very good game, but it's a terrible sandbox, compromised heavily for Rockstar's grand vision of tightly controlling the experience, and compromised even more with limitations designed to drive people away from single player and into the monetized multiplayer.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I have a duplicate code for Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen from the Capcom bundle if anyone wants it. I've been playing the poo poo out of it since I am currently stuck in my house, and it's a great game. Highly recommend snagging up this copy if you want to play the Saints Row 2 of Dark Souls'.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

DrNutt posted:

I have a duplicate code for Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen from the Capcom bundle if anyone wants it. I've been playing the poo poo out of it since I am currently stuck in my house, and it's a great game. Highly recommend snagging up this copy if you want to play the Saints Row 2 of Dark Souls'.

I already have this, but just chiming in to say hope it goes to a good home. It's like if a Japanese developer tried to make a Eurojank RPG. Weird, wonderful game.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
You should add a requirement that whoever takes the key must promise to always use the Into Free mod.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
^Okay, if you want to play this game you must also download and install this mode to experience the game as god intended: https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonsdogma/mods/426?tab=description ^

goferchan posted:

I already have this, but just chiming in to say hope it goes to a good home. It's like if a Japanese developer tried to make a Eurojank RPG. Weird, wonderful game.

I'm definitely not talking it up as an ulterior motive to get goons playing in the hopes of getting my pawn hired for sweet sweet rift crystals either, all pure motives in these parts.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

DrNutt posted:

^Okay, if you want to play this game you must also download and install this mode to experience the game as god intended: https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonsdogma/mods/426?tab=description ^

I'm definitely not talking it up as an ulterior motive to get goons playing in the hopes of getting my pawn hired for sweet sweet rift crystals either, all pure motives in these parts.

The new menu music is actually really baller, okay.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

StrixNebulosa posted:

The new menu music is actually really baller, okay.

I don't hate it, but I still remember the feeling of booting up the original game on the 360 and just thinking, "wait, what the gently caress game did I just start?"

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

This really isn't an overstatement, by the way. The game has literally triple the content from when it started, all added in free updates and patches. It's the best ten dollars I ever spent on a game, in terms of pure value for the money.

And a big modding community. Once you've got the mod loader installed you can even browse and download mods from in-game!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

People have been complaining about GTA missions requiring you to be a mindreader at least since GTA:SA.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

wafflemoose posted:

Don't forget that GTA Online is one of the worst online multiplayer games I've ever played. Overpriced microtransactions, unbalanced DLC, obnoxious to complete missions, awful loading times, rampant hacking,and one of the most toxic communities I've ever seen. Oh, and they'll banhammer you if they think you even thought about picking up modded in money. Getting banned in GTA Online sucks as you lose all your hard earned poo poo. gently caress you Rockstar, I want those thousand hours of my life back. :argh:

Part of the reason why I'm trying to convince myself not to take the plunge is because I don't want to support Rockstar's business practices.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
In old GTA games you could get creative in missions like, get there in a helicopter (possibly an armed one) and use it to bypass some gauntlet or ambush, or to quickly track down a fleeing enemy. Or park a trash truck in a strategic position so the enemies can't escape after the first cutscene. Or bring a fast or sturdy car if you expect or know you'll be doing a specific kind of chase soon. Or the aforementioned example of planting explosive charges in certain places to blow up enemies.

But in GTA5 the missions will just despawn a lot of stuff in the affected areas when you start them, and traffic/pedestrians get reduced for the mission duration and nothing random is allowed to happen at all. The game will move the car you arrived in to a neutral location, usually spawn a specific car or your character's personal vehicle, and if you have to drive friendly NPCs around they often refuse to get out of the mission-assigned car even if you get out and sit in another one (if the first car explodes that will just fail the mission instead of giving you the option to enter a new car).

GTA5 has a very pretty world and works as a bad action movie plot (Housers have been doing similar plots inspired by the exact same mobster- and heist movies for decades now). On its own the story is laughable though and the "lol America is so bad amirite" stuff wasn't even funny when the game came out (because SA and especially 4 already did ran this poo poo into the ground) and because current America is actually worse in many ways than the "satirical" version in the 7yo game. So now it's not funny but also not shocking anymore. Also, the game beats you over the head how hehehehe so funny, you work for assholes but never get paid isn't that a funny joke hehehehe. And then you have to work for assholes all the time in order to progress, and don't get paid until you're essentially done with the game and wasn't that joke funny it's super deep hehehehe.

I think the game - and especially GTAO - works on the same level RDR2 works, it's a beautiful cowboy simulator despite the lovely controls/missions/whatnot and GTA5 is a beautiful California simulator if you just want to move a large variety of vehicles around a pretty convincing, condensed version of parts of California (I think the driving is just the right combination of arcade and simulation, although some people prefer GTA4's "driving model" of sliding everywhere :psyduck:). It has plenty of minigames which are reasonably fun on their own and although the story/missions are crap a lot of the time, they're usually fine for some mindless shooting - once you get used to psychic aimbot cops (pro-tip, disable aim assist). GTAO is basically an extension of that model, drive around pretty, semi-realistic world with/against other people, blow up poo poo, drive cool cars and tanks and stuff. I don't know why brokebrains keep buying shark cards for GTAO though, that poo poo is so overpriced for "micro"-transactions it's not even funny and should be banned...

And yeah it's super obvious they only care about the game's revenue in GTAO (which is why they completely dropped all single player DLC plans the moment they released GTAO and idiots kept buying tons of ingame money). Modders/cheaters are rampant everywhere but they're basically left alone for ages, as long as they only insta-kill you, turn you into level geometry, run godmode scripts or otherwise ruin your gameplay. But the moment someone cheats a bit of ingame money, they'll be identified and banned super fast together with a lot of the people who are somehow tagged as having received hacked money, too. They even shut down the character import from old GTAO characters (from Xbox 360/PS3) to the Xbone/PS4/PC specifically because they couldn't stop people hacking on old consoles (read: they couldn't stop people cheating money on old consoles then laundering the hacked millions by transferring them to the HD version).

But hey you can earn all the GTAO stuff by just playing. A lot. Like, an absurd amount. So it's all fine, buy shark cards :suicide:

orcane fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 29, 2020

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

orcane posted:

psychic aimbot cops (pro-tip, disable aim assist)
... are you saying the AI benefits form the aim assist setting, too? :staredog:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
GTA 5 is perpetually on sale somewhere for $15. If you feel like you can't get $15 worth of content out of GTA5, I dare say you are insane. If nothing else, its still arguably the greatest looking game that currently exists. Which is bonkers cause it originally came out on the Xbox 360. The art direction is like, insanely detailed to an absurd degree. Every block of the city is filled to the brim with tiny details, even if none of that actually affects the gameplay.

The aimbot cops are indeed loving bullshit though. By far my biggest complaint with GTA5 is its "realistic" so you really really don't want to get shot. Its super un-fun because you aren't generally tanky enough to take a few hits and run to cover.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 29, 2020

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
How dare you install mods in MY CAREFULLY CRAFTED GAME?! - Rockstar devs
When GTAO became a big thing thanks to microtransactions, they didn't even bother with the SP ever since.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 29, 2020

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Zereth posted:

Why not! Fair's fair.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

GTA 5 is perpetually on sale somewhere for $15. If you feel like you can't get $15 worth of content out of GTA5, I dare say you are insane. If nothing else, its still arguably the greatest looking game that currently exists. Which is bonkers cause it originally came out on the Xbox 360. The art direction is like, insanely detailed to an absurd degree. Every block of the city is filled to the brim with tiny details, even if none of that actually affects the gameplay.

It absolutely isn't, not even close. Its not even the best looking Rockstar game now that RDR2 exists.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

How much of a shitshow is RDR2 Online? I imagine it's just as bad as GTA Online. Not that I'm going to bother playing the online part of RDR2 any time soon.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Honestly at this point the only thing that makes me even slightly interested in GTAV is the RP stuff, and even then it'd be a struggle to get into a not-lovely server. :sigh:

Orv posted:

5 probably has the most content and I would avoid the DLC for all of them.

I would offer a small exception: FC4's Valley of the Yetis DLC is actually kind of cool, if a bit limited in what it's trying to do. Admittedly, I'm a huge sucker for "buy a thing and then it appears in your home base type area" stuff.

DrNutt posted:

*raises hand* With my tolerance for weird, jank, and RPGs in general being unpredictable I've always been worried I'd bounce straight of it, hence why I don't own it. But I've still always been curious what all the fuss is about.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

wafflemoose posted:

How much of a shitshow is RDR2 Online? I imagine it's just as bad as GTA Online. Not that I'm going to bother playing the online part of RDR2 any time soon.

It's definitely not as bad as GTAO, but there's not a ton of stuff to do. I found it interesting enough to put at least 50 hours into it though.

Samuringa posted:

It absolutely isn't, not even close. Its not even the best looking Rockstar game now that RDR2 exists.

Well you're right about RDR2, but what beats it currently? Control?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Xander77 posted:

People have been complaining about GTA missions requiring you to be a mindreader at least since GTA:SA.

Every time people talk about how good the second era (3-SA) GTA games are I feel like I'm an insane person. Rockstar mission design has always been the hottest possible garbage and it was only covered for by having multiple options in those days, they were still horrendous missions. These days they've doubled down on length, lack of checkpoints and linearity so it's just more obvious.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Zereth posted:

I don't know if it's superstition or confirmation bias, but that's what some people suggested for heists in GTAO (you have a limited amount of "lives" in them so if players get killed too many times the heist fails) and I felt like I had an easier time without aim assist even with a controller. You lose the ability to instantly flick through all nearby enemies and shoot their heads with "LB/RB + move the stick up just a little", but they also don't seem to hit you quite as easily. Maybe I just got better at playing the game, but with Rockstar it would makes sense, they're extremely about "my way or the highway" about their precious masterwork games.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I had a lot of fun in GTA5 in Director Mode just wandering around the city and making screenshots and stuff. Never got anywhere with the story, it sucks.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I think the story missions are all good as long as you somehow manage to beat them the first time you try them, every time. I think if you did that you would walk away thinking that GTA5 had good missions. However, repeating any part of them is goddamn torture. Honestly GTA4 is a better sandbox. The A.I. in general is, I dunno, more believable to me. The cops seem to behave more 'realistically', the chases are more interesting.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

John Murdoch posted:

*raises hand* With my tolerance for weird, jank, and RPGs in general being unpredictable I've always been worried I'd bounce straight of it, hence why I don't own it. But I've still always been curious what all the fuss is about.
Dragon's Dogma is the most fun eurojank game of all time. The fact it was made in Japan is just an accident.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
E: Reworded thoughts on GTAO.

Online is popular because it fleshes out the world of GTAV in the places where the singleplayer mode is empty or does it badly. Many places exist in SP just to be there or - rarely - get used as a backdrop in a single mission, but in Online they expanded the usable world and now eg. the casino isn't just a shell, it's a high-roller feature / huge money sink. Online also has gameplay and QoL improvements like easier buying of clothes/switching them out in the world, being able to stock up on health/armor consumables and accessing them from a quick menu, extensible car storage and -modification, customizable player homes and even bases. Also important, GTAO doesn't have much of the self-important plot that drags down SP. Instead it focuses on heists and does them better than SP (except for the extreme matchmaking issues plaguing MP since release). So GTAO is the all around better version of the game if you ignore two huge problems: 1) matchmaking is an abomination and trying to do a mission or heist with other people is often doomed before you even get to the gameplay and 2) the shark card ingame money scam mentioned before.

orcane fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 29, 2020

Orv
May 4, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Dragon's Dogma is the most fun eurojank game of all time. The fact it was made in Japan is just an accident.

I mean you're right but also Japanese Eurojank is also a well established thing by this point.

Somehow not an electro genre though.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

I think the story missions are all good as long as you somehow manage to beat them the first time you try them, every time. I think if you did that you would walk away thinking that GTA5 had good missions. However, repeating any part of them is goddamn torture. Honestly GTA4 is a better sandbox. The A.I. in general is, I dunno, more believable to me. The cops seem to behave more 'realistically', the chases are more interesting.
At least GTA has mission checkpoints now, and even prompts to skip missions you fail repeatedly. So you can just explode yourself a few times in order to skip the lovely torture mission in GTA5 eg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Well you're right about RDR2, but what beats it currently? Control?

Any large budget game that wasn't released 7 years ago? Asscreed Odyssey and Division 2 if we're talking about open-world games, and, soon to be ported to PC, Horizon and Death Stranding would be my personal choices, even if the first one looks weird with the stilted faces. For less open games there's Control yea, and Sekiro looks pretty great. Senua's Sacrifice is amazing, even unnervingly so when she looks directly to the camera.

The God of War reboot would be my top pick if exclusives count too.