Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Warbird posted:

In Half Life: ALyx there is a section early on that has you exploring dark areas and the game gives you a flashlight to assist with this. Being a VR game, the flashlight it mounted on your off (non gun) hand. This has a few neat implications. If you're doing item management in the environment chances are you're not putting your gun away, meaning that each time you pick up ammo your light becomes functionally useless for a few seconds as you have to reach behind your shoulder to add ammo to your inventory. This becomes an insane risk/reward proposition that has to be done on the fly if you're low on ammo and have enemies around in pitch blackness.

Another neat touch is that if you do a two handed tactical hold on your pistol, the light will "snap" to the gun letting you better see and shoot.

You can also flick close the shotgun, the game does not tell you this. Also just everything about that shotty.

I found the torch to be awful in HL: Alyx personally. It's uncomfortably placed so you have to walk like a zombie, and Alyx obtains and places a little torch module on her gloves herself, so it makes zero sense she'd place it in the least-sensible place possible.

Why would she willingly place it on her off-hand instead of her shooting hand for those exact reasons you described when in-game she states she hate's being in the dark?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Because then you’re just playing the Doom 3 VR mod.

I agree it makes less sense, but the placement of pickups in the room where you get the flashlight make it clear they had the systems in mind I mentioned. Risk v reward.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Warbird posted:

Because then you’re just playing the Doom 3 VR mod.

I agree it makes less sense, but the placement of pickups in the room where you get the flashlight make it clear they had the systems in mind I mentioned. Risk v reward.

It's a VR game though, so immersion is a major factor and it's just breaking it arbitrarily. There is no reward from doing so other than wondering "why would you place a torch in a stupid place on your own hands?"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Honestly I thought it made for fun enough gameplay that I never even thought about whether it made real life sense. I mean, it definitely didn't break my immersion more than stuff like my hands mooshing up against walls, or having to carefully maneuver myself up to a "large" object because its size means I can only move it with both hands locked on.

Vooze
Oct 29, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

it was half heartedly given a plot justification in Shadows of Valentia as well. It's obviously staying in the series now, so I'm genuinely looking forward to increasingly bizarre and convoluted excuses for the mechanic as the games to on

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
In Doom Eternal, when you reach Sentinal Prime, there's a host of remaining corrupted Sentinal greeting the Slayer. While they take to you in English, their first utterance is this alien gutteral growl.

Except it isn't. In one of the pieces of lore, it describes that when Doomguy first arrived, they didn't speak his language and tossed him into the arena. There he defeated everything they tossed at him, screaming a phrase that the audience didn't understand but took up as a cheer. Now, when the old champion returns, those of his comrades that fought on the other side of the civil war still greet him with their phonetic version of his old war cry.

The scene in question: https://youtu.be/_YESRrJz_ps

Rip and tear! :hellyeah:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Incidentally speaking of voice acting and Saints Row, I like how they kept including the character creation in the intro missions and kept the boss in some sort of mask until it was time to "define" them.
Like all prologue missions, those are terrible and SR2 is much better for just putting character creation right at the start and then having only a brief tutorial before you get to go out into the world. Especially since 3 and 4 had stand-alone character creators, so by the time you actually start the game you've likely already designed your character.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tiggum posted:

Like all prologue missions, those are terrible and SR2 is much better for just putting character creation right at the start and then having only a brief tutorial before you get to go out into the world. Especially since 3 and 4 had stand-alone character creators, so by the time you actually start the game you've likely already designed your character.

Saints Row 3 starts the same way with the robbery, iirc. "Everyone wants to be Johnny Gat :smuggo:".

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Saints Row 3 starts the same way with the robbery, iirc. "Everyone wants to be Johnny Gat :smuggo:".

Yes, SR3 had the terrible bank robbery mission and SR4 had the terrible white house mission. They both involve killing waves of enemies and take way too long.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Tiggum posted:

Yes, SR3 had the terrible bank robbery mission and SR4 had the terrible white house mission. They both involve killing waves of enemies and take way too long.

You design your boss before the White House, it's a terrible missile base mission

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Tiggum posted:

Sr4 has the nuclear missile opening followed by the white house followed by SIMULATION poo poo followed by GODDAMN tutorial missions.
I love sr4 but i never want to play it ever again.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I adore involved character creators, but I think SR3 and 4 absolutely have the right of it for how you should probably do it. Give me some gameplay first, not just to get me excited about playing it rather than making a character in it, but to make sure I have all my settings right and can weed out any technical issues. It's pretty hard to justify, yeah, but I think it's ideal compared to 'okay I've made this great character I like, aaaaaand now I'm in-game and something's horribly wrong'. I remember Mass Effect 1 hit me really bad on this one; I struggled to make a character that looked good, because I had to make a character before I knew any of how the game controlled or looked, how I'd be looking at her.

Second-best angle is an in-engine cutscene before character creation, like Skyrim. I don't get to feel out the gameplay, but I can tell graphics settings are right and get a grasp on how the game generally looks, which helps a whole lot. Saints Row 2 did this, and my only complaint in that one is that it's an indoor area where the lighting largely doesn't match the rest of the game, so it's quite possible to accidentally make a character that looks bad in most of the game. But SR2 lets you re-edit your character at any point, so it doesn't hurt so bad.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 15:18 on Mar 28, 2020

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Skyrim's beginning was loving unbearable. All games should start like botw and immediately just set you loose to discover your toolset

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I have to respect the amount of work put into the science and history of the parasites in MGSV. There's like an hour plus of detailed audio explaining everything about them, 95% of which has absolutely no bearing on the game itself.

Maximum Kojima.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Necrothatcher posted:

I have to respect the amount of work put into the science and history of the parasites in MGSV. There's like an hour plus of detailed audio explaining everything about them, 95% of which has absolutely no bearing on the game itself.

Maximum Kojima.

See also: the :burger: tapes

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Calaveron posted:

Skyrim's beginning was loving unbearable. All games should start like botw and immediately just set you loose to discover your toolset

fuckin agreed, Oblivion also

Morrowind struck a really good balance here tho imo

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Len posted:

You design your boss before the White House, it's a terrible missile base mission

Hey, any intro mission that constantly makes fun of Call of Duty, lets you kill the previous game's antagonist while he rants about how "you ruined America", and then has you climb up the side of an airborne nuclear missile as loving Aerosmith plays cannot be bad :colbert:

But yeah everything after that until they let you loose sucked.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Icedude posted:

You say that but there's the 1950's Bosswalk.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Browsing the Top Gun Fire At Will strategy guide, an interesting tidbit near the end is that supposedly there's a 1 in 1000 chance every time the player ejects the mechanism will fail and they'll get a special game over video about how the U.S. F-14 fleet is now grounded for repairs/recall.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Icedude posted:

You didn't appreciate the deep, complex moral calculation you were forced to make when it asked you to choose between curing cancer and ending world hunger?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Cleretic posted:

I remember Mass Effect 1 hit me really bad on this one; I struggled to make a character that looked good, because I had to make a character before I knew any of how the game controlled or looked, how I'd be looking at her.
Nobody has ever been able to create a character that looks remotely decent in the Mass Effect 1 opening scene. It's completely impossible.

Even if your Shep looks normal in every other scene and you manage not to make them look like the get out frog, they'll still look like a weird mutant in the opening. Every single time.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
About character creation, I've been playing Daemon X Machina which doesn't have a deep system but it lets you change the appearance of your character completely at any point of the game and while you have the default "Male 1, Male 2, Female 1, Female 2" voice option at first, you 'win' new voices from other characters as you play along, and may change that as well.

The one drawback is that the upgrade system tends to be body modifications, so you might take a while to pick some cool eyes only to replace them with glowing, mechanical ones not too soon into the story.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Out of curiosity I've been playing the Lawnmower Man game (SNES version) on emulator, heavily using savestates because some of it is kind of bullshit, but I like the variety in the levels. The first level was initially all I'd seen of the game, and not much of that, but there is a lot of variety because every enemy is Jobe possessing something or someone and turning them against you, so you fight bosses that range from a motorbiker, a car, and then at the end an entire gas station that's spewing fire, and after killing the hoses it sends a Jobe figure made of flame to try to finish you off.

Then after the second level, which is all flying level and quite hard, you get to the end of the movie for levels 3 and 4, fighting through VSI to try and fail to stop Jobe uploading himself into the internet and ending the world. Then there are two unique levels, one driving to the end of what's left of the town as Jobe has now totally taken over, as you head to the Shop to take out whoever drove jobe mental in the first place, probably Dean Norris's character but we'll see, and now I'm at a 3d flying level that works completely differently to all the others, functioning like the bonus levels in Sonic 2.

Also the Jobe boss fight was interesting if annoying because after each phase you need to aim for one of the green ports in the middle, flying into which turns them red, of which there are 7, almost totally locking him out (although of course like the movie he finds the backdoor)

I only knew what to do there though because I read the manual online. It tells you how to beat the levels. I have 3 more to go. It's an interesting game though, even the flying levels get more complex themes, starting abstract (with level 2 of the game basically being the game that Jobe and Peter compete in in the movie), but by the midgame they are office buildings and medieval castles that you are flying through.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Samuringa posted:

About character creation, I've been playing Daemon X Machina which doesn't have a deep system but it lets you change the appearance of your character completely at any point of the game and while you have the default "Male 1, Male 2, Female 1, Female 2" voice option at first, you 'win' new voices from other characters as you play along, and may change that as well.

The one drawback is that the upgrade system tends to be body modifications, so you might take a while to pick some cool eyes only to replace them with glowing, mechanical ones not too soon into the story.

That’s actually one of my favorite things about the character creator. You create your perfect anime woman, then spend the rest of the game slowly turning them into a biomechanical cyberpunk monstrosity bit by bit

https://twitter.com/southafao/status/1234294623658315776?s=21

Punished Chuck has a new favorite as of 21:43 on Mar 28, 2020

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I really liked the President part and was/still am very disappointed that you don't get to use the White House as a crib.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Cleretic posted:

I adore involved character creators, but I think SR3 and 4 absolutely have the right of it for how you should probably do it. Give me some gameplay first, not just to get me excited about playing it rather than making a character in it, but to make sure I have all my settings right and can weed out any technical issues. It's pretty hard to justify, yeah, but I think it's ideal compared to 'okay I've made this great character I like, aaaaaand now I'm in-game and something's horribly wrong'. I remember Mass Effect 1 hit me really bad on this one; I struggled to make a character that looked good, because I had to make a character before I knew any of how the game controlled or looked, how I'd be looking at her.

Second-best angle is an in-engine cutscene before character creation, like Skyrim. I don't get to feel out the gameplay, but I can tell graphics settings are right and get a grasp on how the game generally looks, which helps a whole lot. Saints Row 2 did this, and my only complaint in that one is that it's an indoor area where the lighting largely doesn't match the rest of the game, so it's quite possible to accidentally make a character that looks bad in most of the game. But SR2 lets you re-edit your character at any point, so it doesn't hurt so bad.

OMG the character creator in Inquisition drove me nuts!

They decided the best lighting was the green fel energy of the first cutscene.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The elf character I created for Inquisition ended up looking kinda half-elf, half-horse.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Maxwell Lord posted:

The elf character I created for Inquisition ended up looking kinda half-elf, half-horse.

A mystical horlf.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I didn't know they had centaurs in Thedas

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I tried the demo for CodeVein because I heard it had a deep character creator.

I will say it had the widest color palette of any creator, provided 4 different lighting options and a handful of animation examples, plus facial expressions. You could also choose a lot of color options for hair, eyes, makeup, skintone. For the hair alone, each color (Red, blue, Green, etc.) was broken down into several subcategories (So blue would get you azul and periwinkle and navy, and lapis) and each of those had about 2 dozen variations for just the that family.

Unfortunately I didn't care for the gameplay and for a game that lets you customize the hell out of your face, you spend a lot of time in a full gas mask.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

That’s actually one of my favorite things about the character creator. You create your perfect anime woman, then spend the rest of the game slowly turning them into a biomechanical cyberpunk monstrosity bit by bit

https://twitter.com/southafao/status/1234294623658315776?s=21

It owns, yeah. Even some of the cybernetics are different though depending on which path you take in the trees. :science:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CzarChasm posted:

I tried the demo for CodeVein because I heard it had a deep character creator.

I will say it had the widest color palette of any creator, provided 4 different lighting options and a handful of animation examples, plus facial expressions. You could also choose a lot of color options for hair, eyes, makeup, skintone. For the hair alone, each color (Red, blue, Green, etc.) was broken down into several subcategories (So blue would get you azul and periwinkle and navy, and lapis) and each of those had about 2 dozen variations for just the that family.

Unfortunately I didn't care for the gameplay and for a game that lets you customize the hell out of your face, you spend a lot of time in a full gas mask.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpbJJL7oNgI

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Samuringa posted:

I still pressed it occasionally :saddowns:

I find myself doing it in Red Dead Redemption which so far has lead to a lot of bountys on my head.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Some more stuff from Witcher 3:

I like how a lot of quests have no clear-cut "Good" solution to the problem. Sometimes you're just left guessing what sounds like the lesser evil, and then way later, there's some unexpected Butterfly Effect, you go "oh wow, I hosed that one up."

It's also neat how the quests have a suggested level before attempting them, but the game doesn't stop you from trying. "You'll probably get your rear end stomped if you go over here too soon, but you just do you."
It's something I really enjoyed about Dragon's Dogma too, being free to wander into an area where I'm obviously under-powered and getting slapped around. I'd much prefer that over being stonewalled and told YOU MUST BE LEVEL 10 TO PROCEED.

BTW, if you liked Witcher 3, you'll probably like Dragon's Dogma, and vice versa.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

The Zombie Guy posted:

I like how a lot of quests have no clear-cut "Good" solution to the problem. Sometimes you're just left guessing what sounds like the lesser evil, and then way later, there's some unexpected Butterfly Effect, you go "oh wow, I hosed that one up."

It's also neat how the quests have a suggested level before attempting them, but the game doesn't stop you from trying. "You'll probably get your rear end stomped if you go over here too soon, but you just do you."
It's something I really enjoyed about Dragon's Dogma too, being free to wander into an area where I'm obviously under-powered and getting slapped around. I'd much prefer that over being stonewalled and told YOU MUST BE LEVEL 10 TO PROCEED.

BTW, if you liked Witcher 3, you'll probably like Dragon's Dogma, and vice versa.

I remember the most intense and fun fight I had in W3 was when I stumbled into some ruined village infested with ghouls that were like 5 levels higher than me, and I decided to fight. It was an insane brawl with me using every sign I had and every tool I had, dodging around like mad, ghouls destroying carts and poo poo to get to me.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Whoa, getting drunk with Lenny in RDR2.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Alhazred posted:

That entire sequence was gold

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The Zombie Guy posted:

People complain about it a lot when it happens, even here in the sister thread, but I honestly love it when you unknowingly wander into an area much too high-level for you, or even cross paths with a super strong monster in an otherwise low-level area, and get your poo poo stomped instantly. Either it leads to a really intense, exciting fight like Sandwich Anarchist said, or it’s pretty funny to watch your character suddenly get swatted like a fly.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I found it extremely refreshing to play Divinity II and have no idea if I was going to get crushed by wandering too far into an unexplored area or not. I tried it not too long after Skyrim and the hands-off when doing a quest, no waypoints or markers, was also interesting.

Can totally see why it'd be frustrating, but picking something like that up, or a Pyranha Bytes game, is always a unique experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Alhazred posted:

The best part is the lead up to this is a confrontation where it looks like fists will start flying. Then smash cut to this.