Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Adder Moray posted:

A fumble that only happened because Dabi didn't do anything about Aoyama when he noticed him.

But he didn't notice him? It was a suspenseful, "must have been the wind" kinda thing.

Adder Moray posted:

Compress had Snatch handled on his own. All Dabi did was make it lethal instead of just getting him out of the way, which doesn't actually change the success of the mission.

Hard disagree. If it were just Mr. Compress and Shigaraki in the truck, there's no way Compress could have gotten the drop on Snatch without Dabi distracting him.

Adder Moray posted:

Spinner succeeds in every task he's assigned except for when Deku blindsided him and he wouldn't let Magne kill him. And that wasn't even a failure, it was him standing up for the reason he had joined the league in the first place (which Shigaraki was using to recruit people). Between Dabi and Spinner, one of these two actually handled their target during the MVA arc.

What other tasks? Grand theft auto? Dabi might have one or two failures under his belt, but Spinner's successes are a whole lot of whatever. And no one had a "target" at summer camp other than Bakugo, which was a success for everyone who wasn't arrested.

Junpei posted:

Here's a crazy thought

Maybe Dabi being a douchebag...

is intentional

:hmmyes:

oh jay fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Twice isn’t dead (no body no sell) but I fully believe he was severely injured and taken out of the fight, and I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up in custody by whoever survives this right

Same, rather than a sword to the skull I think I got a nice sword through the shoulder and is probably missing an arm and passed out from blood loss.

I suspect most of the league will escape this ambush but Twice will be captured, and alongside AFO and Kurogiri to be yet another lynch pin in their eventual breakout.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I legitimately don't understand this fervent desire to believe he's not dead.

If Twice is not dead, then this chapter is bad and a huge waste of everyone's time.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Junpei posted:

Here's a crazy thought

Maybe Dabi being a douchebag...

is intentional

if your character's gonna be a douchebag they gotta be a fun douchebag

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Like how would a shoulder stab stop Twice from making more clones when we've spent the last two chapters establishing that every non-lethal thing Hawks does to Twice does nothing to stop him from making more clones?

There's also the fact that with Dabi there Hawks has no more time to gently caress around. What's his plan for getting away with Twice when Dabi's right there and has already proven very capable of flamethrowering his rear end?

Sword through the head. Fly away. It's the most efficient plan for someone the last few chapters have been signposting as cold and efficient.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 29, 2020

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Personally I think it's hilarious that Dabi is consistently a fuckup and I love reading his character. It's like Inverse Jotaro where Dabi is trying extremely hard to be badass but he fucks up everything he does.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Yeah, I don't think Horikoshi has ever swerved us to that extreme.

The one time I was angry at something like that was when Dabi said "nice to meet you, Endeavor" and I was praying to god that all these drat teases were going to finally pay off, but noooo, next chapter Endeavor had blood in his eyes and couldn't even see him and then a bunny rabbit comes in out of nowhere.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Blockhouse posted:

If Twice is not dead, then this chapter is bad and a huge waste of everyone's time.

Twice will be alive next chapter...for about 3 panels until he finishes bleeding out.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
This also should hopefully make people realize that the Scary Hawks faces were not because we were seeing from "Twice's perspective", which makes no sense in scenes that are clearly being viewed from a omniscient narrative perspective. The faces are Horikoshi telling us that this is who Hawks actually is. Nice people don't get sent on undercover murder missions by the government.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Blockhouse posted:

Heroes don't kill etc etc. But this played out similarly to how Hood vs Endeavor went, Endeavor could've fried Hood instantly but he was thinking about all the other considerations. He didn't go full Prominence Burn until he realized nothing else was going to work against Hood, and he had to be boosted above the city to keep everyone else from the blast zone. And like that Hawks doesn't shish-kabob Twice until he's exhausted every possible option.

This is in direct contrast to All Might who even faced with All For One still managed to incapacitate him, not kill him.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

This also should hopefully make people realize that the Scary Hawks faces were not because we were seeing from "Twice's perspective", which makes no sense in scenes that are clearly being viewed from a omniscient narrative perspective. The faces are Horikoshi telling us that this is who Hawks actually is. Nice people don't get sent on undercover murder missions by the government.

True. Caleb also mentioned in his translator notes that Stoic Hawks is real and Happy Hawks is a lie.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm not saying Twice isn't dead, I'm just keeping my options open because I've absolutely seen dumber, more pointless poo poo.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

oh jay posted:

True. Caleb also mentioned in his translator notes that Stoic Hawks is real and Happy Hawks is a lie.

With that in mind, I'm thinking back to the second Hawks-Endeavor conversation, in the restaurant where Hawks is expressing that his desire is to just gently caress off and not have work to do. How much of that was the government having Hawks lean on Endeavor to try to become the second Symbol of Peace?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Hawks killed Twice because he sliced through the prime body.

BTW 1000 pages reached!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Crasical posted:

I like that Compress isn't necessarily shocked that he got grabbed, but IS surprised that Toga did, even noting that the enemy must have some sort of quirk that's nullifying her Ninja Bullshit.

Also she is 100% going to digivolve into a knife tornado. Twice might not have been a lover, but they definitely had a pretty strong emotional bond.

Now that Twice is dead, I firmly believe that Toga is like, the third most dangerous member of the League behind Shigaraki and Gigantomachia(not counting any of the nomu, especially since they might all even up dead before this arc is over), especially now that she can copy the quirks of the people she becomes. I wouldn't be shocked if the next chapter we find out Shigaraki gave her a vial of his blood before going off with the doctor and she begins dustin fools and wakes up Gigantomachia.

Do you think she could copy One For All if she became Deku again, or would it be another Monoma situation? I bet the doctor could hook her up with some of his blood if she asked.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

With that in mind, I'm thinking back to the second Hawks-Endeavor conversation, in the restaurant where Hawks is expressing that his desire is to just gently caress off and not have work to do. How much of that was the government having Hawks lean on Endeavor to try to become the second Symbol of Peace?

At this point, I'm thinking that Hawks is a ruthless pawn of the government, and his happy persona is one that they told him to take on, so he could be a Top 10 hero that the people would love. I wouldn't think it specifically has to do with Endeavor since that persona would have been going on for years at this point.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Blockhouse posted:

It’s not a “fervent desire,” it’s recognition that in this genre, death means nothing unless you actually see it happen, and even the most heartfelt farewell send offs are subject to reversal, so while it would certainly work and have emotional weight for Twice to die here, I have no reason to buy it quite yet.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

This is in direct contrast to All Might who even faced with All For One still managed to incapacitate him, not kill him.

To be fair, he tried really hard to kill him before and it didn't take.

SKULL.GIF posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if that was Hawks legitimate belief. He'd probably love a world where he didn't have to do the government's dirty work anymore.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

If Magne had survived and Dabi had died, we'd get much wackier action scenes instead of "now there is fire" and I'm sad about that.

That said, I am warming up (<- hilarious joke) to Dabi because he sucks. He is exactly a teenager's edgy anime boy OC except without the mary sue-esque talent and unparalleled success. He's terrible on multiple levels and it kind of rules, actually.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

It’s not a “fervent desire,” it’s recognition that in this genre, death means nothing unless you actually see it happen, and even the most heartfelt farewell send offs are subject to reversal, so while it would certainly work and have emotional weight for Twice to die here, I have no reason to buy it quite yet.

Horikoshi didn't show it because that would ruin the reveal that the clone is the one who reached Toga and Compress.

I don't know how it gets clearer than a panel of Hawks aiming a sword at Twice's head, then cutting away while a stabbing sound effect is shown, and then that same sound effect gets used two pages later when clone Twice stabs a dude in the head. That's not unintentional. That doesn't accidentally make its way into a comic. Horikoshi could have had him bash his head in with a brick or something, but nope, head stab with an identical sound effect.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Rhonne posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if that was Hawks legitimate belief. He'd probably love a world where he didn't have to do the government's dirty work anymore.

yeah, i don't think all of what we've seen of hawks so far is a rouse or anything, i just think he's good at compartmentalizing. or at least, that's what i think would be more interesting

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

SKULL.GIF posted:

Personally I think it's hilarious that Dabi is consistently a fuckup and I love reading his character. It's like Inverse Jotaro where Dabi is trying extremely hard to be badass but he fucks up everything he does.

But he isn't, this is just your headcanon. He's outright failed maybe one or two major tasks which most of the league has done, he is usually portrayed as being quite competent as a league operative, and we're still not clear about his reasons for allowing Hawks to infiltrate the PLF despite clearly knowing exactly who he was.

I understand people not liking Dabi as a character, he's not the most interesting and hasn't really had much chance for character development until just now, but why are people so insistent on pretending that he's some kind of bumbling idiot?

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Blockhouse posted:

Hindsight is 20/20 etc.

I'll admit that my initial reading of no body no sell relies on past instances of bad writing for precedent, and the actual thing it leans most heavily on is mulched by the translator notes. Happy Hawks being the act rather than Stoic Hawks does indeed make the Scary Hawks face read as the real Hawks, but that wasn't obvious at the start.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
A big reason why I'm confident that Twice died is that his ability got kind of ridiculous after his power-up to the point that it makes it difficult to write a story around it. I mean, basically any conflict involving Villain Alliance has to first solve the issue of "why is there actually a conflict in the first place instead of anything and everything that opposes the VA being pulverized by endless, self-replicating wave of thousands Shigarakis and their Twice-clone handlers?" and having to solve that issue more than once or twice would get pretty stale. And "his power is hard to write story around" is something that actually kills off characters pretty reliably, even in shonen.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Poor Twice... What a way to go out

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
The clone was obviously the one who reached Toga cause Twice’s mask has been torn off and his clones are masked Twices. Like, I’d prefer it if Twice was just axed but it’s not ridiculous to see there’s at least a little ambiguity and the next chapter will probly confirm it definitively or show a twist. Either way I don’t think the chapter would be a waste.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

TheHan posted:

The clone was obviously the one who reached Toga cause Twice’s mask has been torn off and his clones are masked Twices. Like, I’d prefer it if Twice was just axed but it’s not ridiculous to see there’s at least a little ambiguity and the next chapter will probly confirm it definitively or show a twist. Either way I don’t think the chapter would be a waste.

Next chapter is going to immediately cut to Deku's group and show what they're up to right now.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SKULL.GIF posted:

Libra posted:

That said, I am warming up (<- hilarious joke) to Dabi because he sucks. He is exactly a teenager's edgy anime boy OC except without the mary sue-esque talent and unparalleled success. He's terrible on multiple levels and it kind of rules, actually.

Yeah, I started liking him a lot more after this realization.

tweet my meat posted:

But he isn't, this is just your headcanon. He's outright failed maybe one or two major tasks which most of the league has done, he is usually portrayed as being quite competent as a league operative, and we're still not clear about his reasons for allowing Hawks to infiltrate the PLF despite clearly knowing exactly who he was.

I understand people not liking Dabi as a character, he's not the most interesting and hasn't really had much chance for character development until just now, but why are people so insistent on pretending that he's some kind of bumbling idiot?

He's hosed up nearly everything he has tried to do, and he's the reason the League lost All For One; it's explicitly stated that he was seen and his skin grafts recognized when he entered the old bar hideout, and that's what allowed the heroes to get the drop on them after they kidnapped Bakugou. Which means that dipshit has been walking around undisguised, not even wearing a hood or something, looking like that. Even Shigaraki at least took his loving hands off and wore a hoodie when he went out in public.

That's on top of killing all the people he was supposed to be recruiting (except Hawks, which, uh), not helping out the League nearly as much and trying to blow them off even during the events of MVA, losing Hood, and generally either refusing to contribute or making things worse when he did participate. Heck, in this very chapter he killed at least two of the last Twice clones himself.

It's not "headcanon", Dabi has by far been more of a detriment to the League than he's been a benefit, unless he's been a lot more helpful offscreen and we just haven't been shown it (though we've been told that he's mostly been burning random people and blowing off the League). Helping kill Snatch and stuff doesn't outweigh things like losing AFO or helping cause this latest catastrophe. We haven't actually seen anything suggesting that he's competent, really; if anything, that reading is closer to headcanon.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 29, 2020

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

If he's fine it destroys any sense of emotional impact this chapter has. It would absolutely suck and make the story worse. The only reason to believe it is a general "well, it's misdirection" handwave despite there not being any indication this is the case.

I agree that twice is dead. But man have I seen too many authors pull a "surprise, they really weren't" to not believe that the thought didn't cross Horikishi's mind.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Yeah, I started liking him a lot more after this realization.

He's hosed up nearly everything he has tried to do, and he's the reason the League lost All For One; it's explicitly stated that he was seen and his skin grafts recognized when he entered the old bar hideout, and that's what allowed the heroes to get the drop on them after they kidnapped Bakugou. Which means that dipshit has been walking around undisguised, not even wearing a hood or something, looking like that. Even Shigaraki at least took his loving hands off and wore a hoodie when he went out in public.

That's on top of killing all the people he was supposed to be recruiting (except Hawks, which, uh), not helping out the League nearly as much and trying to blow them off even during the events of MVA, losing Hood, and generally either refusing to contribute or making things worse when he did participate. Heck, in this very chapter he killed at least two of the last Twice clones himself.

It's not "headcanon", Dabi has by far been more of a detriment to the League than he's been a benefit, unless he's been a lot more helpful offscreen and we just haven't been shown it (though we've been told that he's mostly been burning random people and blowing off the League). Helping kill Snatch and stuff doesn't outweigh things like losing AFO or helping cause this latest catastrophe. We haven't actually seen anything suggesting that he's competent, really; if anything, that reading is closer to headcanon.

Twice is at least 50% responsible for this "latest catastrophe" for befriending Hawks.

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:
I disagree with the notion that the scene isn't impactful if Twice didn't die. Even if he's alive he's gotta know he isn't getting away and will more than likely never see his surrogate family again.

I do think he's dead though.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

oh jay posted:

Twice is at least 50% responsible for this "latest catastrophe" for befriending Hawks.

That didn't help either, but he was naive, sentimental, and insane, so being vulnerable to a master manipulator like Hawks is expected. On the other hand, Dabi, unless he's posturing or something, thought Hawks was going to betray them the whole time and still actively worked to bring him into things while never warning anyone else (like, say, Twice, who he knew was hanging out with Hawks a lot) of his suspicions. So that's two times where Dabi gave the heroes information that led to a massive assault being launched on their hideout, except this time it was intentional.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

If Twice is dead, then who is Skeptic going to blame for his failure to properly monitor Hawks now!?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

That didn't help either, but he was naive, sentimental, and insane, so being vulnerable to a master manipulator like Hawks is expected. On the other hand, Dabi, unless he's posturing or something, thought Hawks was going to betray them the whole time and still actively worked to bring him into things while never warning anyone else (like, say, Twice, who he knew was hanging out with Hawks a lot) of his suspicions. So that's two times where Dabi gave the heroes information that led to a massive assault being launched on their hideout, except this time it was intentional.

So Twice isn't responsible because it's just who he is and what he does, while Dabi is responsible because of who he is and what he does. Got it.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Rhonne posted:

If Twice is dead, then who is Skeptic going to blame for his failure to properly monitor Hawks now!?

Exactly. I agree with the thread sentiment that Dabi is a fuckup, but the League had Hawks bugged and monitored. It isn't unreasonable to think that was enough. Plus, "He's a hero; I don' trust him" is a bad reason to single someone out when that describes a lot of people in your organization!

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

A Bug posted:

I disagree with the notion that the scene isn't impactful if Twice didn't die. Even if he's alive he's gotta know he isn't getting away and will more than likely never see his surrogate family again.

I do think he's dead though.

I think most people can only stomach so much forced drama where a character is all but outright stated to have died, only for it not to stick. Especially when it's tied to a very climactic moment in a character's life or development. Twice has always had the fear that he was a clone, then when he finally confronts that fear however unwitting he's able to unleash his full potential to help his family. Now he's been played by someone he thought he could trust but in the end he's able to say he was proud of his life and pass on his message to the person he'd bonded with the most before the last clone dissolves into goo.

If he's hunky dory in a prison cell 10 chapters down the line it's going to detract from this chapter just because it's a fake-out.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Since toga is already blood chrollo now I expect her to cry at the top of the building and pretend orchestrate the hero society collapsing

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sometimes Horikoshi just really nails it. This chapter was great, maybe the most i've been invested in the comic since My Villain Academia ended.

Horikoshi should just do a manga about the adults and the villains imo. I think it's clear they're the characters he has most fun writing.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Sometimes Horikoshi just really nails it. This chapter was great, maybe the most i've been invested in the comic since My Villain Academia ended.

Horikoshi should just do a manga about the adults and the villains imo. I think it's clear they're the characters he has most fun writing.

I'd say that the culture festival is plenty proof that he loves the kids just as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

oh jay posted:

So Twice isn't responsible because it's just who he is and what he does, while Dabi is responsible because of who he is and what he does. Got it.

That's obviously not what I said. Are you intentionally being obtuse, or do you not understand what "that didn't help" means?

Twice giving Hawks information was bad, obviously. But Hawks wouldn't have been there at all if it weren't for Dabi, and Dabi brought him there despite expecting to be double-crossed.

And what did the League get for it? A dead Best Jeanist, after the guy was out of hero work for the foreseeable future anyway. Not a great trade for Twice, Dr Garaki's racket with all those hospitals and stuff he can't use now, a whole lot of High-End Nomu, or anything else they're losing this arc.