Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I see a bunch of full face snorkel masks, I wonder if they could be made into something useful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

sincx posted:

Not a white supremacist.

I stand by my policy statement that the government should track down and eliminate international phone spammers who prey on the elderly.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

shovelbum posted:

I see a bunch of full face snorkel masks, I wonder if they could be made into something useful

The ones that force you to breathe through your mouth probably make it worse. You should always breathe through your nose when you can because the nose has built in filters.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
lifehack: stick cigarette butts in your nostrils

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mox Hombre posted:

the "masks don't help you" meme is now kind of entrenched where i live. they really did a lot of harm to the public by lying about that instead of actually telling the truth

Its not lying people are just too stupid to understand basic science and medical terms.

Telling people "masks aren't effective for the general population to prevent infection" doesnt meant they don't work, it means that everyone wearing a mask is likely a non-significant factor in stopping the spread of the virus.

If anything, people wearing masks are more likely to put themselves at risk because they believe the mask is going to prevent any infection.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
do grocery pick up services, and amazon everything else. besides work there is not reason to leave your home.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

the virus isn't actually airborne (read: fully aerosolized) as far as we know under normal circumstances. some tests were done in laboratory settings to show that it could survive in an aerosolized form for some time, but this isn't typical just out in the world.

that said - normal surgical masks and the equivalent can protect against droplet transmission to varying degrees. any protective barrier between your breathing holes and the outside world is better than none. wearing an improvised mask when you go out in public for essential activities is a good idea. wearing a mask but then proceeding to use that as an excuse to not social distance, to shove your hands all up in your face, or otherwise avoid sanitization practices is a bad idea.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

JK Fresco posted:

You don't know ehat you're talking about

Public service announcement: this guy is a self-taught virus "expert" do NOT listen to his made-up advice

This is one of the sources for the "airborne"/aerosol talk that's been going around. It's causing some confusion with many people getting wrong what is meant by aerosol in this context. He's talking about crowded, unventilated, in-door spaces. Not aerosols sneakily hanging around in the entrance to a supermarkets or blowing in through the windows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAk7aX5hksU&t=737s

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Home isolation is meaning that people are having to cut their own hair for the first time ever and the results are finally starting to get posted to the internet

More: https://imgur.com/gallery/ZfoQsMT

My google image search for 100% soap clothing had very disappointing results :(

https://www.amazon.com/EDGUP-Neckline-Shaving-Template/dp/B00HFD0RNU

Wait a second they improved it! Mine doesn't have the elastic.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 29, 2020

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

JK Fresco posted:

You're supposed to wear the mask to prevent spreading the virus to others. They might be better than nothing
Thank you. :)

PederP posted:

He's talking about crowded, unventilated, in-door spaces. Not aerosols sneakily hanging around in the entrance to a supermarkets or blowing in through the windows.
Correct. I did indeed even remind people just a bit earlier to remember opening their windows occasionally because apparently that's a thing some people forget to do now.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 29, 2020

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

JK Fresco posted:

You don't know ehat you're talking about

Public service announcement: this guy is a self-taught virus "expert" do NOT listen to his made-up advice

don't sign your posts

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Mithaldu posted:

Meanwhile in Cologne:

Humans are social creatures. Even if it kills us, we want to talk to and interact with others. :shrug:

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Double Bill posted:

Word of warning: it can look great or terrible, depending on the shape of your skull.

I want to try it. I've had barbers and hair stylists comment on my nice head shape but that's probably just in a hair styling context and not in a baldness context and I'm afraid to find out. Sure would be easy though to just shave my poo poo once every day or so. I'm sure my scalp is also ghostly white right now so getting a tan would be a commitment all on its own.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

VikingSkull posted:

yes but the problem is if you're in an aerosol cloud it's also going in your eyes

Aliexpress has the solution for that too.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Is looking like an utter boob the only thing missing from your life? How about a fisherman/roni hat?
Multi-function Protective Cap Anti Fog Dust Mask Removable Anti Antivirus Anti-saliva Face Cover Caps Fisherman Buckaet Sun Hat

Finally PPE you can wear without worrying that you ought to donate it to a hospital. Perfect if people spit at you whenever you leave the house.

Flannelette posted:

Also I finally have an excuse to buy and wear this

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329...earchweb201603_

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

Humans are social creatures. Even if it kills us, we want to talk to and interact with others. :shrug:
Nice av/post combo.

Altho in cologne it's likely more down to germans being very americanized in culture, i.e. generally overconfident and assholish. The city has a "reputation".

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

pentyne posted:

If anything, people wearing masks are more likely to put themselves at risk because they believe the mask is going to prevent any infection.

Also the part where every mask someone is wearing at a mall or giving away with the purchase of a sandwich is a nurse or doctor who has to wear a bandana when they really are at risk.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I want to try it. I've had barbers and hair stylists comment on my nice head shape but that's probably just in a hair styling context and not in a baldness context and I'm afraid to find out. Sure would be easy though to just shave my poo poo once every day or so. I'm sure my scalp is also ghostly white right now so getting a tan would be a commitment all on its own.
In your life, this is the best time to find out

Astaldo
Jan 4, 2015

xXxGangsterNinjaAssassinxXx

Gianthogweed posted:

The ones that force you to breathe through your mouth probably make it worse. You should always breathe through your nose when you can because the nose has built in filters.

They actually 3d-printed some sort plastic thing here (I live in The Netherlands) to put on the top and put a filter in. It's being considered as a less-than-ideal solution for the PPE-shortage.

https://images2.persgroep.net/rcs/j...d7f&quality=0.9

Edit/disclaimer: I have no expertise whatsoever in virusbreathing or snorkling

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

bird with big dick posted:

Do ball gags help prevent corona virus spread

no, you still need to layer them with other PPE

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

turns out the mask my sister panic bought for me a month ago is this one: https://www.conrad.com/p/3m-4255-half-mask-respirator-ffa2p3-r-d-831195

I have two of them (one still sealed). are these suitable or of any help to medical professionals? as far as I know, they need ffp2 masks, which has some of the same letters as my mask. i live next to the country's main hospital, so if they are, i might arrange for them to pick them up or something?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Lucky Guy posted:

Stops droplets and most words, very considerate.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Why is poo poo spreading so fast in America comparatively? What the hell are you guys doing

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Also the part where every mask someone is wearing at a mall or giving away with the purchase of a sandwich is a nurse or doctor who has to wear a bandana when they really are at risk.
When we say "wear masks" we do mean "wear bandanas as face masks".

Mox Hombre posted:

turns out the mask my sister panic bought for me a month ago is this one: https://www.conrad.com/p/3m-4255-half-mask-respirator-ffa2p3-r-d-831195

I have two of them (one still sealed). are these suitable or of any help to medical professionals? as far as I know, they need ffp2 masks, which has some of the same letters as my mask. i live next to the country's main hospital, so if they are, i might arrange for them to pick them up or something?
That thing looks beyond FFP2. Giving them a call seems like a good idea.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Fartbox posted:

Why is poo poo spreading so fast in America comparatively? What the hell are you guys doing

Tests maybe

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Fartbox posted:

The tests may be free, but in many places seeing the doctor still costs 50$.

Also, thanks to trump's son-in-law telling him covid-19 is a hoax, the country was vastly underprepard and doesn't have enough tests.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Fartbox posted:

spring break i'm sure didn't help. if some of the cures truly worked we should see a lot more of this on twitter i hope :

https://twitter.com/JimSantilli/status/1244059374450094081

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Duck and Cover posted:

https://www.amazon.com/EDGUP-Neckline-Shaving-Template/dp/B00HFD0RNU

Wait a second they improved it! Mine doesn't have the elastic.

I'm using this opportunity to grow out the mane. Always wondered what I would look like with long hair.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Mithaldu posted:

That thing looks beyond FFP2. Giving them a call seems like a good idea.

yeah i will do that, i gotta get my alignment up to at least neutral good

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Fartbox posted:

More testing, and it's a pretty big country with a lot of people compared to European Countries. Also the death numbers are low in comparison to the number of cases in the US, at least so far.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Lucky Guy posted:

Not gonna lie, that's kinda hot.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Is it though? 2 weeks ago, sure. Let the hospitals buy up the remaining stock at Amazon and Home Depot and the medical fetish store.

Wherever people are getting these give away masks now, they probably are not snatching them out of the hospital administrator's shopping cart. You can order 1000 masks from china and have them in hand in 2-3 weeks. They probably don't have a recognised certification for your country. They may be fake or faulty, and probably 10 times the normal price, but the option is there. If some guy ordered from china 2 weeks ago and just got them, there's no particular reason why he should donate his masks to a hospital. The hospital administrators could also have put in orders 2 weeks ago.

And all the giveaways I've seen have been for simple disposable surgical masks, not N95. So not that much better at protecting yourself than cloth masks. Good for protecting those around you though.

Go hog wild. https://www.alibaba.com/products/n95_mask.html

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

One result of COVID-19 is pneumonia and I just want to say it's the worst thing ever in the world. I got it in college during spring break and thought I was gonna die. I was burning up and puked up all my food and could not sit straight for 10 minutes before having to crawl back to bed. Nobody was in the apartment and I thought I was gonna die alone. Respiratory infections are loving awful.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Fartbox posted:

I say this a lot, but if you're in Europe, look at America like the EU and not the nation you're in.

Those are called "states" here.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Vegetable posted:

One result of COVID-19 is pneumonia and I just want to say it's the worst thing ever in the world. I got it in college during spring break and thought I was gonna die. I was burning up and puked up all my food and could not sit straight for 10 minutes before having to crawl back to bed. Nobody was in the apartment and I thought I was gonna die alone. Respiratory infections are loving awful.

No insurance? gently caress, i've had it several times in my life and can't imagine going through it on my own.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

GORDON posted:

Not gonna lie, that's kinda hot.

nothing I love more than goons announcing their horny levels

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Fartbox posted:

Nothing much really. We had 2 months warning that this was coming and didn't ramp up production of or stockpile masks, didn't build or expand facilities, didn't ramp up testing capacity, didn't conduct large numbers of tests, didn't lock down communities or travel etc. Huge portions of the country still aren't in stay-at-home mode, or think this is a joke or a media campaign to discredit our MAGA Lord.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
*looks at EU death and infected totals as a whole*

jesus, those Americans sure handled this bad

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Mox Hombre posted:

Doesn't hurt to ask but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't take it. A lot of hospitals don't really have a workflow for dealing with reusable masks like that (there's a reason they use disposable PPE).

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 29, 2020

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Burt Sexual posted:

Jk you’re getting a bit too aggressive. But in the mean time what are your credentials in this field out of curiosity

You were hyper aggressive itt then stopped when I asked this. Seems like bullshit, you have reports stacked so I’d respond soon if I were you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

shovelbum posted:

I've actually seen something about people doing that, sticking filters over the snorkel part.