Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

MiddleOne posted:

Apply for elderly care, they're starving for more people even on a normal year.

Ya. My municipality will hire anyone without Corona symptoms on the spot. I'm sure they will take a carnie.

As long as you're not an evil clown or a chronic knife juggler I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
I’m loving our Swedish strategy of keeping enough people home to gently caress the economy but also making sure that we can keep enough stuff open to spread the virus.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Hedenius posted:

I’m loving our Swedish strategy of keeping enough people home to gently caress the economy but also making sure that we can keep enough stuff open to spread the virus.

Went for a walk today. The sidwalks outside restaurants and cafés were full of tightly packed people drinking in the sun. Including lots of 60+ year olds, some of them obviously not in perfect health (using walkers etc). Half the country are self-imposing quarantine, the other half is annoyed that people look at them sideways when they cough in their hands at the supermarket. Because people are dumb and don't care.

E: I mean, there has to been something inbetween martial law and having half of Stockholm's upper middle class spread corona to rural places with aging populations and underdimensioned health care facilities this Easter.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 28, 2020

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

lilljonas posted:

E: I mean, there has to been something inbetween martial law and having half of Stockholm's upper middle class spread corona to rural places with aging populations and underdimensioned health care facilities this Easter.

Cardiac posted:

You are saying that blowing up the bridges in Stockholm and blocking the tunnels would do wonders to contain Covid19?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mercrom posted:

its funny how store staff has to check my age at self-checkout when i buy an energy drink but they still have the open salad bar, lösviktsgodis etc. also all the buffets are still open

love to be protected by my big nanny state

Wait..what? In Norway grocery stores didn't even wait for the government to shut salad bars down. Bakery goods are wrapped up and the machines that slices bread are removed.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Alhazred posted:

Wait..what? In Norway grocery stores didn't even wait for the government to shut salad bars down. Bakery goods are wrapped up and the machines that slices bread are removed.

Yeah they shut the salad bars like last week around me.

Pic a mix candy is still available everywhere I go. And packed as all get out on Saturday, pandemic be damned.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
What's the point of surviving if it means no lördagsgodis?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Fader Movitz posted:

What's the point of surviving if it means no lørdagsgodis?

They may take my freedom, but they won't take my smågodt!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Fader Movitz posted:

What's the point of surviving if it means no lördagsgodis?
:same:

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Katt posted:

Scandinavia Corona fight chart:

Denmark: 1877
Sweden: 2840
Norway: 3316

Baltic Corona fight chart:

Latvia: 244
Lithuania: 290
Estonia: 538
Russia: 840
Finland: 958

Denmark: 2,201
Sweden: 3,447
Norway: 4,032

Latvia: 305
Lithuania: 394
Estonia: 645
Finland: 1,167

I was informed that Russia's figures were inaccurate so we're no longer counting Russia.

Katt fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Mar 29, 2020

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Katt posted:

Latvia: 305
Lithuania: 394
Estonia: 645
Finland: 1,167

I was informed that Russia's figures were inaccurate so we're no longer counting Russia.
For what it's worth, it's still exponential growth.
Interestingly, one way to show this is to use logarithmic scales to plot things, although it helps to watch the video that explains the graph, and also covers some caveats:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54XLXg4fYsc

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Katt posted:

D. Ebdrup posted:

For what it's worth, it's still exponential growth.
Based on those numbers holding, and this being the exponential part of a logistics curve that tops out at 60% of the population having been infected, as well as the following:

3% death rate for those hospitalized
50% for those who end up in the ICU (UK numbers)
100% for those who would've ended up in the ICU if there was room

The final death toll in Scandinavia is gonna be

DK: 235K
SE: 424K
NO: 215K

or roughly 4% of the population of each country, any deaths due to lack of available medical attention for other poo poo not included. This assumes no expansion of ICU capacity, and that ICU capacity is the only bottleneck. At the peak of the outbreak, 90% of patients needing ICU treatment will be left to die in favor of treating someone with better chances of survival or "societal value".

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

We also need to consider all the dead people that Norway are secretly disposing of to explain their low death to infected ratio.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Katt posted:

We also need to consider all the dead people that Norway are secretly disposing of to explain their low death to infected ratio.
Well, I didn't use their death stats, so no need. I guess maybe the Norwegians are gonna dump 100K bodies in their fjords? Maybe use them to feed salmon?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Well, I didn't use their death stats, so no need. I guess maybe the Norwegians are gonna dump 100K bodies in their fjords? Maybe use them to feed salmon?

Catapult them over the border to give Sweden a higher toll. They’re alive when they’re flung but don’t land living.

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

teen witch posted:

Catapult them over the border to give Sweden a higher toll. They’re alive when they’re flung but don’t land living.

Technically that's still "corona-related", so it counts.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

teen witch posted:

Catapult them over the border to give Sweden a higher toll.

I knew it!

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Kastrup Airport stuffing everyone with a fever or cough onto an eastbound train.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Katt posted:

Secret of having fewer confirmed infected people is to test fewer people.:sweden:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Based on those numbers holding, and this being the exponential part of a logistics curve that tops out at 60% of the population having been infected, as well as the following:

or roughly 4% of the population of each country, any deaths due to lack of available medical attention for other poo poo not included. This assumes no expansion of ICU capacity, and that ICU capacity is the only bottleneck. At the peak of the outbreak, 90% of patients needing ICU treatment will be left to die in favor of treating someone with better chances of survival or "societal value".

I think this is too high. 60% of the countries might end up infected but we are not looking at 100% of those requring hospitalization. So that ~4% death rate does not apply to all of the infected, but rather those who come down with severe symptoms (or rather whatever it is in total for all those hospitalized, I assumed you calculated this and applied it to 60% infected). Part of the reason this disease has been able to spread as it has is because many experience mild symptoms and therefore have been able to infect others as they've been moving about and interacting with others.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That doesn't seem right at all, or it's some kind of incredibly worst-case scenario?
Also, the case ratio in China turned out to be much closer to 1%, and WHO estimates it'll be 0.3% to 1%.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 29, 2020

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

adhuin posted:

Secret of having fewer confirmed infected people is to test fewer people.:sweden:
That's literally what it is. Sweden is testing loving nobody.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I thought the fatality rate for people with no health complications was like 0.2%? 4% seems crazy high if the assumption includes successfully isolating the most immunocompromised and keeping the rate below hospital capacity.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

A report released about a week ago posted:

Based on knowledge from China about the clinical course of COVID-19, the State Serum Institute has prepared a prognosis for disease development in Denmark. It is estimated that 80% of those infected have mild to moderate disease. 15% will need hospital treatment and 5% will need intensive hospital care. Based on this knowledge, the forecast in Denmark is that a total of 11,600 patients are expected to need hospitalization during the epidemic period, which is expected to last 12 weeks. Of these, 2,900 patients are expected to require intensive care.
[snip]
Based on the forecast from Italy, the need for intensive places with respirator 827 in peak week, in a 13 week scenario has maximum load in epidemic week 4 - 7, and with an average hospitalization time of two weeks in intensive care.
I would expect a new one to be released tomorrow.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

I have a gut feeling (sorry) that we'll fare better than most other countries due to our culture and social structure. If there's any truth to the hypothesis that viral load and exposure to other infected during incubation is the main factor determining how severe the symptoms and progression will be, we're in luck. We don't socialize much. We don't visit our parents/grandparents much. Our public transportation is less crowded than many other countries. We try hard to minimize the duration of hospitalization. And so forth.

I expect we have extremely wide-spread infection, but most cases turn out asymptomatic as there is little exposure to other infected. We might see some tragedies resulting from health and nursing home staff who are infected and thus subject elderly and patients to extended exposure - but nursing homes in Denmark are sadly not really heavy on the time staff spend on those who live there.

If this theory holds, we should start seeing an influx of people who attended crowded parties or who live in households with very few m^2 per resident.

Also, does anyone else find it disturbing that 3 hospital directors in Denmark have been tested positive? Not because of the positive result in itself, but because actual patient-facing medical staff are being denied tests. I have another gut feeling about this - they expect that a large percentage of the staff are infected, but want them to get immunity before pressure mounts for real. Some hospitals have directly urged staff with coughs and other mild symptoms to keep working - while denying them testing. To me that indicates that top management actively encourage conditions where spread can occur.

Either way, if the progression in Scandinavia continues like this, staying close to linear than exponential - then there's definitely a cultural or genetic thing at play. I don't really believe it could be the latter (we're really not the genetically different to the rest of Europe for this to make sense). So it would have to be culture, then.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i think we really just don't have much slack in our healthcare systems and dozens of medics getting sick would leave us with our systems overwhelmed already

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

PederP posted:

I have a gut feeling (sorry) that we'll fare better than most other countries due to our culture and social structure. If there's any truth to the hypothesis that viral load and exposure to other infected during incubation is the main factor determining how severe the symptoms and progression will be, we're in luck. We don't socialize much. We don't visit our parents/grandparents much. Our public transportation is less crowded than many other countries. We try hard to minimize the duration of hospitalization. And so forth.

I expect we have extremely wide-spread infection, but most cases turn out asymptomatic as there is little exposure to other infected. We might see some tragedies resulting from health and nursing home staff who are infected and thus subject elderly and patients to extended exposure - but nursing homes in Denmark are sadly not really heavy on the time staff spend on those who live there.

If this theory holds, we should start seeing an influx of people who attended crowded parties or who live in households with very few m^2 per resident.

Also, does anyone else find it disturbing that 3 hospital directors in Denmark have been tested positive? Not because of the positive result in itself, but because actual patient-facing medical staff are being denied tests. I have another gut feeling about this - they expect that a large percentage of the staff are infected, but want them to get immunity before pressure mounts for real. Some hospitals have directly urged staff with coughs and other mild symptoms to keep working - while denying them testing. To me that indicates that top management actively encourage conditions where spread can occur.

Either way, if the progression in Scandinavia continues like this, staying close to linear than exponential - then there's definitely a cultural or genetic thing at play. I don't really believe it could be the latter (we're really not the genetically different to the rest of Europe for this to make sense). So it would have to be culture, then.
Gut feelings really don't matter, though. Medical science is an actual science which involves data, statistics, and empiricism.

V. Illych L. posted:

i think we really just don't have much slack in our healthcare systems and dozens of medics getting sick would leave us with our systems overwhelmed already
The Danish Health Ministry report speaks on this:

Report from earlier posted:

When the epidemic with COVID-19 peaks, we must also be ready to treat patients with other acute and life-threatening conditions. That will be other patients with severe and catastrophic breathing and circulation failure. We have ensured that there is also the capacity to treat this group and the total number of intensive places with respirators, combined with additional respirators from stores, will thus be 1,260 in the public health system in Denmark.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 29, 2020

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

D. Ebdrup posted:

Gut feelings really don't matter, though. Medical science is an actual science which involves data, statistics, and empiricism.

Absolutely true, and I'm not trying to represent this as anything but idle musings. But those all come after the fact. In a strange way, I'm relieved that Sweden has chosen such a different course. if we do happen to continue on a surprisingly flat trajectory, I'd otherwise worry that the premature conclusions would be made about the efficacy of our lockdown. How the Swedish statistics progress will serve to qualify such a conclusion.

The Danish lockdown is on a completely different level than that in most other countries - it's far less strict, so it would be highly illogical if it was more effective. Unless there are other factors at play like number of individuals per household and exposure patterns.

I guess we'll see in the coming days and weeks what the statistics turn out to be. But I wish our leaders would take a stricter stance on lockdown measures - better safe than sorry. We should ban any and all non-household socialization (with some allowance for singles to pick a single "contact" household) - there's no economic cost to this, and it wouldn't be for long. Just until we know how the progression looks. Same with masks. Should just be made mandatory. Doesn't matter what quality they are. It's going to stop some of the spittle from the infected.

If we do end up with five or six digit deaths, our politicians will have blood on their hands for being so lax and puny in their lockdown measures.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Randarkman posted:

I think this is too high. 60% of the countries might end up infected but we are not looking at 100% of those requring hospitalization. So that ~4% death rate does not apply to all of the infected, but rather those who come down with severe symptoms (or rather whatever it is in total for all those hospitalized, I assumed you calculated this and applied it to 60% infected). Part of the reason this disease has been able to spread as it has is because many experience mild symptoms and therefore have been able to infect others as they've been moving about and interacting with others.
No. From those 60% infected I'm assuming 80% require no hospitalization, 15% hospitalizations, and 5% ICU care, like in the report D. Ebrup quoted. Anyone in the latter group is dead if they can't receive ICU care. Since capacity is far below demand for most of the outbreak, that' nearly 3% on its own.

D. Ebdrup posted:

That doesn't seem right at all, or it's some kind of incredibly worst-case scenario?
I'm going off the 60% need to get infected for herd immunity to kick in and the disease subsiding on its own. Obviously that's gonna result in far more deaths than only 0.2% of the population getting it. 11K cases would mean we're gonna peak within two to three weeks, and the disease never reappearing as control measures are relaxed. Which would imply a standing quarantine order for anyone crossing the border, probably lasting until this time next year when it has burned through every other country or someone has made a vaccine.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I thought the fatality rate for people with no health complications was like 0.2%? 4% seems crazy high if the assumption includes successfully isolating the most immunocompromised and keeping the rate below hospital capacity.
The number seems to depend entirely on whether you have the capacity to treat people. There's about a factor 20 difference in the mortality rate between Hubei Province and other provinces in China, because Hubei got overwhelmed. My assumption is basically that we'll be overwhelmed, as we fail to learn the lessons from China. China is basically doing constant testing of people to see whether they have a fever, and if they do, those people get tested for corona immediately and if found positive sequestered away in special fever hospitals established during the original SARS outbreak. Meanwhile, someone with mild symptoms here just end up staying at home and infecting their family.

PederP posted:

All I'm seeing here is that patient-facing medical staff will infect every patient, who either end up having to stay (and likely die in the hospital since they were already there for other reasons) or go home and infect their family or everyone in nursing homes. And you wonder why I'm skeptical about us keeping this under control.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

All I'm seeing here is that patient-facing medical staff will infect every patient, who either end up having to stay (and likely die in the hospital since they were already there for other reasons) or go home and infect their family or everyone in nursing homes. And you wonder why I'm skeptical about us keeping this under control.

I absolutely do not think we have any degree of control. If we manage to weather this with a non-catastrophic result it will be because of sheer luck.

e: I started out optimistic, but I'm worried the government is going to cave to the onslaught of "think of the economy" stories across media. As if the economy will magically recover once people are allowed to visit restaurants, hairdressers and cinemas. It's so dumb. The lockdown is not the primary driver of the economic downturn, and the actual issues would remain if we ended the lockdown tomorrow: export markets imploding, consumers having fear for the future and the stupid asset-bubble threatening to pop at the worst possible time.

PederP fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 29, 2020

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I'm going off the 60% need to get infected for herd immunity to kick in and the disease subsiding on its own. Obviously that's gonna result in far more deaths than only 0.2% of the population getting it. 11K cases would mean we're gonna peak within two to three weeks, and the disease never reappearing as control measures are relaxed. Which would imply a standing quarantine order for anyone crossing the border, probably lasting until this time next year when it has burned through every other country or someone has made a vaccine.
There's no loving way it's only 60% for herd immunity! Where the gently caress are you getting these numbers?
And yes, the report I've been quoting from also mentions it'll peak in week 16.

Measles spreads through coughing and sneezing, and needs ~95% of the population vaccinated for herd immunity to be achieved - have a look at what happened in the states when enough anti-vaxxers got their kids out of vaccination systems, which brought herd-immunity under 90% in local areas.
Also - one thing about measles is that, if you get it as a kid you've got a pretty good chance of surviving, whereas adults who get it succumb to it more often.

PederP posted:

I absolutely do not think we have any degree of control. If we manage to weather this with a non-catastrophic result it will be because of sheer luck.

e: I started out optimistic, but I'm worried the government is going to cave to the onslaught of "think of the economy" stories across media. As if the economy will magically recover once people are allowed to visit restaurants, hairdressers and cinemas. It's so dumb. The lockdown is not the primary driver of the economic downturn, and the actual issues would remain if we ended the lockdown tomorrow: export markets imploding, consumers having fear for the future and the stupid asset-bubble threatening to pop at the worst possible time.
The only fuckers who've been talking about the economy in all of this are a liberal think-tank which I brought up earlier, and they don't deserve the attention so I'm not giving it to them.
This is NOT an actual plague in spite of the fact that some idiots on social media call it that, goods and services can still be exchanged although there is naturally some backlog accruing.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 29, 2020

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

D. Ebdrup posted:

There's no loving way it's only 60% for herd immunity! Where the gently caress are you getting these numbers?

The 60% meme comes from influenza. It does not make sense, but that is where it originates.

E: angående framtidsforskare så fick jag den här perfekta posten i mitt LinkedIn-flöde: https://www.linkedin.com/posts/fardost_framtiden-futureskills-activity-6648224119307542528-o8qO

Futurology!

Potrzebie fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 30, 2020

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

evil_bunnY posted:

That's literally what it is. Sweden is testing loving nobody.

This is obviously wrong as Sweden is doing an average number of test per capita in comparison.

Sadly, the correct course of action is going to be counted in dead per capita, in the same way as homicides are used as measure of violence in a society.

Also kinda interesting how calls for repression are increasing during a crisis and especially from all political sides.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

D. Ebdrup posted:

Measles spreads through coughing and sneezing, and needs ~95% of the population vaccinated for herd immunity to be achieved - have a look at what happened in the states when enough anti-vaxxers got their kids out of vaccination systems, which brought herd-immunity under 90% in local areas.
Also - one thing about measles is that, if you get it as a kid you've got a pretty good chance of surviving, whereas adults who get it succumb to it more often.
I believe the 60% number is based on the number of people who need to have immunity for corona to not spread exponentially. At r0 = 2.5, only 40% of the population being vulnerable means any given infected will only infect 1 other person. For measles, with and r0 = 18, the number is 5% (thus the 95% vaccinated number) Obviously if you take the upper bound of corona r0 you need 75% to get it, but I just went with the optimistic scenario.

D. Ebdrup posted:

The only fuckers who've been talking about the economy in all of this are a liberal think-tank which I brought up earlier, and they don't deserve the attention so I'm not giving it to them.
This is NOT an actual plague in spite of the fact that some idiots on social media call it that, goods and services can still be exchanged although there is naturally some backlog accruing.
Mette Frederiksen is already in the process of talking reopening. Which is why I wouldn't be surprised if we get a small peak now, have the disease almost beaten (within Denmark), then reopen and get hit full force because this time liberals believe the economy has been "punished enough".

PederP posted:

Yeah, in an ideal world this would be the perfect time to reconsider how society is structured, while everything is already disrupted.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

Cardiac posted:

Also kinda interesting how calls for repression are increasing during a crisis and especially from all political sides.

No need for a crisis, sweden is getting hella repressive anyway, more cameras, drones, ljudskrämmor, lying cops in the media, "inbillad nödsituation", etc. It has been like this for a few years now If you live in the "orten". Swedes dont care tho, they all got a boner for that poo poo.
Tbf Im starting to prefer danes to Swedes, The danes seems more honest about going nazi atleast. While The Swedes keep on identifying as left/liberal while pushing right wing policies and talking points.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

How does herd immunity work when reinfection is a thing? Are the reinfected not contagious?

D. Ebdrup posted:

Nah. Lars Løkke and Asger Aamund are not members of CEPOS, for one. You'll see this argument mounting in the coming weeks, I'm certain.

On the flipside there are the morons raving about SHEEPLE surrendering their FREEDOMS when it's "not even as bad as the flu". At least the CEPOS ghouls are honest about letting people die for Mammon.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

D. Ebdrup posted:

The reason why we have measles vaccine was that not only did kids die, they were especially at risk because their immune system was not fully developed. Letting yourself willingly be infected is insane because you have no idea how the disease will affect your body. And even if you survive the process and become immun that doesn't mean that you stop carry the disease to others.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Alhazred posted:

The reason why we have measles vaccine was that not only did kids die, they were especially at risk because their immune system was not fully developed. Letting yourself willingly be infected is insane because you have no idea how the disease will affect your body. And even if you survive the process and become immun that doesn't mean that you stop carry the disease to others.
Am I thinking of one of the other things kids get vaccinated for, then - or just pulling poo poo out of my rear end?

I'm voluntarily self-isolating, exactly because I'm immunocompromised and a newly diagnosed diabetic.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

D. Ebdrup posted:

Am I thinking of one of the other things kids get vaccinated for, then - or just pulling poo poo out of my rear end?

Chickenpox, maybe? That's worse for adults, IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

D. Ebdrup posted:

We vaccinate kids to keep them from dying, not because getting sick is inconvenient.