Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Aeble posted:

Alright, thanks for all the replies! I'll probably go for the 2070 or 2080 SUPER, as soon as I decide if the extra performance is worth the 140% price.

I have a 2080 non-super which is basically very close to a 2070 super (loving nvidia) and it’s more than enough performance for anything I’ve thrown at it in VR at max or near max settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Alyx patched in being able to choose movement and gun hands separately.

Ugh thank you gaben. That was the dumbest thing.

Watch out combine, left handed jim silly-balls will be way more deadly

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Alyx is still the Source engine, right? How long til someone mods in the original HL2 campaign?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Hopefully not long, can't wait to play that long boring boat section again but this time it makes me nauseous too

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The other thing I want is some kinda hands free glider exercise machine that can work with VR.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mantis42 posted:

Alyx is still the Source engine, right? How long til someone mods in the original HL2 campaign?

I assume it is Source 2. I don't know how much cross comparability there is between the two.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

wyoak posted:

Hopefully not long, can't wait to play that long boring boat section again but this time it makes me nauseous too
You didn't play it when Halflife 2 had the -vr command line argument?

Why did Valve remove it, anyway?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

I assume it is Source 2. I don't know how much cross comparability there is between the two.

That's correct, and I guess it's not impossible to port since they ported Dota 2:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_2

Combat Pretzel posted:

Probably because they didn't want "games journalism" telling people Half Life 2 officially has a VR feature and then have everyone puking their brains out with no real support or UI.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

I didn’t and I’m pissed that there is no good way to play HL2 and the episodes in VR in tyool 2020.

I mean literally every other game with any kind of following gets a VR port and one of the biggest games of all time has nothing

:mad:

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Combat Pretzel posted:

Does this not work?

Because its still there. In "all" Source games it seems. I've never even bothered so I'm clueless if that shits just there for show in 2020 or not.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I'm now 12 hours in to HL Alyx. The freaking puzzles for unlocking the doors/boxes/etc are getting hard as hell.

Have any of you replayed it? It seems to be a pretty heavily story driven game, I don't know if I'll bother doing another play through.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I didn’t and I’m pissed that there is no good way to play HL2 and the episodes in VR in tyool 2020.

I mean literally every other game with any kind of following gets a VR port and one of the biggest games of all time has nothing

:mad:

It's kinda frustrating that I played an amazing fan made VR version of half life 2 in 2013, complete with hand tracked weapons with ammo counts on the side of them, and my HUD information on the back of my hand, and I can't play that now. Playing Half Life: Alyx was eerily familiar.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MH3v2VrCZ9Q&feature=youtu.be

Sure, the hand controllers were wired and I had to attach one of them to my head for 6DOF tracking, but it was mindblowingly good. It took years for anything to surpass that experience, and in some ways it's still better than Alyx (running, jumping, scoped weapon, melee).

They never released a version of the mod for commercially released headsets, but supposedly they're still working on it and doing things like editing the collision meshes in all the maps to make going on stairs or off small ledges smoother. Really wish they'd just release what they have and continue to update it towards their perfect version like Black Mesa did. It's been almost 7 years.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

EbolaIvory posted:

Does this not work?

Because its still there. In "all" Source games it seems. I've never even bothered so I'm clueless if that shits just there for show in 2020 or not.

Nope, I’m pretty sure it crashes the game actually.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Tip posted:

It's kinda frustrating that I played an amazing fan made VR version of half life 2 in 2013, complete with hand tracked weapons with ammo counts on the side of them, and my HUD information on the back of my hand, and I can't play that now. Playing Half Life: Alyx was eerily familiar.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MH3v2VrCZ9Q&feature=youtu.be

Sure, the hand controllers were wired and I had to attach one of them to my head for 6DOF tracking, but it was mindblowingly good. It took years for anything to surpass that experience, and in some ways it's still better than Alyx (running, jumping, scoped weapon, melee).

They never released a version of the mod for commercially released headsets, but supposedly they're still working on it and doing things like editing the collision meshes in all the maps to make going on stairs or off small ledges smoother. Really wish they'd just release what they have and continue to update it towards their perfect version like Black Mesa did. It's been almost 7 years.
Yes, it's extremely annoying. Didn't there use to be a subreddit for it? Can't find that anymore. They used to post updates in there.

e: latest I can find about it is four months ago someone posting in this Reddit thread claiming there are still 6 people working on the mod: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/e0ab9i/hl2vr_here_is_a_mad_guesstheorycrafting_for_you/

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 29, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The VR implementation for HL2 was actually pretty good. It was before hand controllers existed in any way besides those razer ones, but it had all kinds of interesting control schemes. You could aim with your head, or aim with a mouse cursor that moved around on the screen. The only issue I had was that the scale was way off. I don't know if it was because I was sitting and my brain was confused, but everything seemed to be a t2/3 scale.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

El Grillo posted:

Yes, it's extremely annoying. Didn't there use to be a subreddit for it? Can't find that anymore. They used to post updates in there.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hlvr/

It's not just for that mod, people have also been discussing a recently released VR mod for the original Half-Life that looks pretty good, and talking about the VR mod for Garry's Mod that let's you play HL2 in VR. The Garry's Mod VR is pretty good in many ways, but still fairly janky in a lot of other ways (like the setup, and getting kicked out of VR at every level transition).

The seeming leader of the HL2VR mod is Wormslayer, and he's been posting some information recently in that sub-reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/user/WormSlayer/comments

TIP fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 29, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I haven't seen much in the way of updates for that. Mostly just "we're working on this in our spare time."

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Thoom posted:

It is, however, the first VR game that's made me feel like my 1080 is showing its age. It defaulted to the lowest graphical settings, and even then there are occasional stutters.

Update: For work-related reasons, I ended up upgrading my CPU from an i5-4670K to a Ryzen 3900X, and now Alyx defaults to high settings and runs great.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Mantis42 posted:

Despite no SDK someone is already making progress.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=da6y6-in29k

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

spacetoaster posted:

I'm now 12 hours in to HL Alyx. The freaking puzzles for unlocking the doors/boxes/etc are getting hard as hell.

Have any of you replayed it? It seems to be a pretty heavily story driven game, I don't know if I'll bother doing another play through.

I replayed it to carry the gnome to the end, which didn't take too long with these command line options:

+hlvr_continuous_normal_speed ###
+hlvr_continuous_combat_speed ###

I set it to 250 and ran through fairly quickly and honestly, juggling between the gnome and magazines to reload my weapons was surprisingly fun

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

HolyKrap posted:

I replayed it to carry the gnome to the end, which didn't take too long with these command line options:

+hlvr_continuous_normal_speed ###
+hlvr_continuous_combat_speed ###

I set it to 250 and ran through fairly quickly and honestly, juggling between the gnome and magazines to reload my weapons was surprisingly fun

Ah, I guess that verifies that there is a separate movement speed in combat. I had noticed that the movement seemed faster sometimes, but I wasn't sure. It would be nice to be able to switch between the two speeds at will.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
how do you view virtual desktop without the oculus home background music?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

theblackw0lf posted:

how do you view virtual desktop without the oculus home background music?

It’s in the settings in oculus home. You can turn off the ambient music

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

Tip posted:

I can't wait for the mods. If they could add 3x more combine and ammo and turn off lock puzzles, for a dumb action new game plus mode, I would be happy. Importing Black Mesa and HL2 into the engine would be great to.

So I was listening to the giantbeastcast while I was pressure washing a dock, and I started getting really annoyed about how much they hate vr. Especially how it's an insult that Alyx is vr only, and only 42 people are ever going to play it. I've been listening to bombcast and beastcast for awhile, but their take on games have been getting worse lately. Even on none vr games.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Happyimp posted:

I can't wait for the mods. If they could add 3x more combine and ammo and turn off lock puzzles, for a dumb action new game plus mode, I would be happy. Importing Black Mesa and HL2 into the engine would be great to.

So I was listening to the giantbeastcast while I was pressure washing a dock, and I started getting really annoyed about how much they hate vr. Especially how it's an insult that Alyx is vr only, and only 42 people are ever going to play it. I've been listening to bombcast and beastcast for awhile, but their take on games have been getting worse lately. Even on none vr games.

I think that's mostly Bakalar, he seems to have a hate boner for VR and he shits on it whenever he can. The others seemed to be interested in trying it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tip posted:

The SDK for Source 2's supposed to be coming, but Valve's not quite happy with it yet or something.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
How is there not a Judge Dredd VR game yet? Holy gently caress I'm gonna have to watch Dredd tonight now.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Tip posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/hlvr/

It's not just for that mod, people have also been discussing a recently released VR mod for the original Half-Life that looks pretty good, and talking about the VR mod for Garry's Mod that let's you play HL2 in VR. The Garry's Mod VR is pretty good in many ways, but still fairly janky in a lot of other ways (like the setup, and getting kicked out of VR at every level transition).

The seeming leader of the HL2VR mod is Wormslayer, and he's been posting some information recently in that sub-reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/user/WormSlayer/comments
Asked what was up, he still seems positive on the project:

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The SDK for Source 2's supposed to be coming, but Valve's not quite happy with it yet or something.

The only thing Valve has said about an actual Source 2 SDK is from an AMA in February. They said they hadn't made any plans to release one back then, but would consider looking at it after HL:A released.

The HL:A website advertises a toolset for making maps to be released with the game. This will likely be very similar in scope to the current toolsets Dota 2 and SteamVR Home has, basically the Hammer editor and utilities for making models, materials and particles. The store page suggest it was supposed to release with the game, but I'm guessing everyone working from home has delayed it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

El Grillo posted:

Asked what was up, he still seems positive on the project:

This is all code for “I’m going to sound like I’m agreeing with you but I’m really going to release it whenever I drat well feel like it in 2040”

Personally I’m waiting for someone to port HL2 levels to HLA and then we won’t have to wait on that guy

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
It's weird that you can't seem to reload the SMG mid-clip in HL:Alyx, considering none of the other weapons give a drat about your remaining mag count. It's also surprising just how much SMG ammo the game's willing to give you, considering it's pretty drat stingy with shotgun ammo to the point there's zero reason to waste resin on it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's weird that you can't seem to reload the SMG mid-clip in HL:Alyx, considering none of the other weapons give a drat about your remaining mag count.

That decision may have been based on that becoming a total non-issue once you get the multi-mag upgrade. Still not helpful prior to that point, but it totally alleviates the problem once you get there.

And yeah, I can't believe how stingy the game is with shells.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Sent an email to Kerry Davis at Valve asking for clarification on the mapping tools / SDK situation, given there's conflicting info (store page says it would "ship" with the tools).

Kerry got back to me today saying the plan was for them to start on those after the release of Alyx and that there is no timeline for their release yet.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text
Has anyone run into an issue with Quest Link in SteamVR/Alyx where the display stops updating?

Sound is still working, I can see head movement and controllers are working fine on the computer monitor but the Quest display only renders the fixed field of vision at the time it froze. Happens within 1-30 minute of playing Alyx. Haven't had issues in Asgard's or Saints & Sinners with Link, but this is my first game in SteamVR since I switched to Quest. Only way to fix it is to restart SteamVR and the headset. Haven't seen anyone post about this issue in the Steam site, wondering if it's just me or something with the Quest.

Dingwick
May 3, 2007

This is always the highlight of my day.

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Has anyone run into an issue with Quest Link in SteamVR/Alyx where the display stops updating?

Sound is still working, I can see head movement and controllers are working fine on the computer monitor but the Quest display only renders the fixed field of vision at the time it froze. Happens within 1-30 minute of playing Alyx. Haven't had issues in Asgard's or Saints & Sinners with Link, but this is my first game in SteamVR since I switched to Quest. Only way to fix it is to restart SteamVR and the headset. Haven't seen anyone post about this issue in the Steam site, wondering if it's just me or something with the Quest.

This sounds similar to the crashes I've been experiencing. I tried rolling back the driver and re-updating it, and verifying the integrity of the game files but there was no change and the recent patches didn't solve it either. I was worried it was the cable but I don't have the same problem in H3VR or Elite so I'm at a loss. I just wanna finish the game :argh:

Biblical Fucking
Nov 21, 2013

Ask me about where to find fucking in the Bible!

Nukelear v.2 posted:

I get this exact thing happen but I'm using an OG rift.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's weird that you can't seem to reload the SMG mid-clip in HL:Alyx, considering none of the other weapons give a drat about your remaining mag count. It's also surprising just how much SMG ammo the game's willing to give you, considering it's pretty drat stingy with shotgun ammo to the point there's zero reason to waste resin on it.

The game gives you more ammo based on which guns you use. Use the shotgun as your first line weapon and you'll get a lot more ammo for it, although it will never feel like enough.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nukelear v.2 posted:

I had this happen and the only thing I found online about it said that it was a USB issue. I switched the Link to one of the USB controller ports on the back of my PC and the issue seemingly went away. That said, I haven't played long enough to really notice and any other googling doesn't really lead to any other solutions

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Room VR A Dark Matter is...

It's freaking expensive. But also it's a quality game, this isn't one of those indie VR games done by two guys. The graphics are very good, in particular it's very well optimized and the image quality is superb for the Quest, super rare so see any aliasing at all. Of course the art is also good so the technical wizandry have a purpose. The scale is correct, and well, the game is basically another one in the series but more immersive and spectacular thanks to the VR perspective, and more fun to interact with things, using levers and ropes and gears with your hands. Length wise seems to be 3.5 hours, so it's more like Room 1 or 2 than Room 3 in duration, although the quality of the puzzles in the third scene (of four ;_;) is reminding me more of the third part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
^^was literally just going to ask if anyone had played and had a review, thanks.

I can't remember how the third one's puzzles were... are you saying it's a good thing or bad thing that TRVR's are similar in quality?