Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What's the worst match Bret has ever had that was his fault and not the opponent's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
The Backlund match at Wrestlemania 11? Bret considers it his worst match. I haven't seen it in years so I can't comment on who's "fault" it was.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What's the worst match Bret has ever had that was his fault and not the opponent's?

I'm sure if you went back to his WCW run you could find some real stinkers where Bret clearly didn't give a poo poo. That said I would say his worst match was with The Miz from I want to say 2010.

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

The Backlund match at Wrestlemania 11? Bret considers it his worst match. I haven't seen it in years so I can't comment on who's "fault" it was.

I always put the blame on Piper being a poo poo guest referee and the "I Quit" gimmick.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Bret discussion made me go back to watch Bret vs Austin at WM13 because it's never a bad time to watch that and I noticed this guy petting Bret and then Shamrock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxowP-K1t4M&t=21s

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
How the hell did Hercules never hit anyone when swinging that chain? Or accidentally yeet it into the crowd?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Bret really should not have been anywhere near the ring in 2010. Booking him in matches was a monumentally terrible idea because he couldn't, well, have a match due to his condition.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Yeah, I'm willing to say that any matches Bret had after his retirement don't count because they're not really matches in the same way.

Another question: how the hell did people like Goldust and Stardust wrestle in those body suits without dying from heat and sweat?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Another question: how the hell did people like Goldust and Stardust wrestle in those body suits without dying from heat and sweat?

I assume the same tricks that Disney World mascots use to survive Florida summers -- well-breathing fabric, and like 20 pounds of baby powder before they go out there.

Benne fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 29, 2020

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Doc M posted:

Bret really should not have been anywhere near the ring in 2010. Booking him in matches was a monumentally terrible idea because he couldn't, well, have a match due to his condition.
I think they expected him to be able to have a perfectly acceptable story-heavy shortcuts match until Lloyds of London insisted that literally nobody could do anything to him. The only offense I know for a fact that anyone got in on him during that run was Heath Slater raking his eyes to get out a Sharpshooter attempt in the Bret Hart Appreciation Night match at MSG. (There may have been more in other house show matches, I dunno.) As lovely as most of that run was, I'm still glad it happened because I got to see this moment live:
https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1094085953327714304

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Now we know the many and varied occasions where WWE has hosed up on a wrestler that was supposedly was fool-proof and unfuckupable.

But has there been an instance of the opposite? Where WWE took someone who everybody thought was a charismaless lunk with no wrestling skill, and turned them into someone fun to watch.

Also given WCW also wasted multiple people, did they ever do the opposite.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BrigadierSensible posted:

Now we know the many and varied occasions where WWE has hosed up on a wrestler that was supposedly was fool-proof and unfuckupable.

But has there been an instance of the opposite? Where WWE took someone who everybody thought was a charismaless lunk with no wrestling skill, and turned them into someone fun to watch.

Ryback, until they and he both hosed it up.
Mark Henry, once they finally booked him properly.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

batista

bartok
May 10, 2006

Was going to say Batista too. As for WCW I'd say they managed to get Bryan Clark really over as Wrath when he was going on quite a win streak until he was fed to Kevin Nash as part of the build for the Goldberg Starrcade match. I guess he got some of that heat back as part of Kronik in 2000 but it's late era WCW so it doesn't really matter.

I finally signed up for NJPW World during the last Wrestle Kingdom and going through the archives Shingo Takagi has quickly become one of my favorites especially after watching the 2019 Best of the Super Juniors. My question is what are some of Shingo's best matches outside of NJPW?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Alexa Bliss was a nobody in NXT who became a star on the main roster.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

TTBF posted:

Alexa Bliss was a nobody in NXT who became a star on the main roster.
nope, she was by far the most over part of Blake and Murphy

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

jesus WEP posted:

nope, she was by far the most over part of Blake and Murphy

Thats not saying much though.

And really when she came up no ones was clamoring for it but drat she ran with the ball and became a star.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

davidbix posted:

I think they expected him to be able to have a perfectly acceptable story-heavy shortcuts match until Lloyds of London insisted that literally nobody could do anything to him.
Oh, right, I completely forgot the whole insurance deal! I just thought he didn't take any bumps because any kind of mishap might kill him, but that makes sense. I've never seen that flying elbow either, that's pretty awesome.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Gillberg?

MathMathCalculation
Jan 1, 2006

I'd nominate Kane, given his previous gimmicks.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Nobody gave a poo poo about Alexander Rusev in NXT, then he went to the main roster and suddenly found his charisma

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
has there ever been a big/important match where the wrestler who was meant to go over got hurt and the other one had to win instead? I'm not talking like random Raw matches but title matches or PPV main events etc

feels like I'm missing a really famous one but it won't come to mind

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Julio Cruz posted:

has there ever been a big/important match where the wrestler who was meant to go over got hurt and the other one had to win instead? I'm not talking like random Raw matches but title matches or PPV main events etc

Most of the time they just rush to the finish, like when Owen broke Austin's neck and basically had to pin himself. Even with a mid-match injury, most wrestlers/bookers would rather do the planned finish and then figure it out later.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Benne posted:

Nobody gave a poo poo about Alexander Rusev in NXT, then he went to the main roster and suddenly found his charisma

Maybe they'll let him do poo poo when he ends up on AEW

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

toni storm won a top belt in stardom because mayu broke her arm in like the first minute of their big match

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I assume that Yuna Manase was not meant to win the TJPW International title but they audibled to it when Natsumi Maki tore her knee to shreds.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Julio Cruz posted:

The specific circumstances of Sting beating Jeff Hardy at Victory Road 2011 is a pretty famous audible, but I don't know that the original plan for that match was for Hardy to go over.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Pretty sure Sting was winning anyway

bartok
May 10, 2006

Julio Cruz posted:

I think there was a WCW PPV where Rick Martel was supposed to go over Booker T and then Perry Saturn in a gauntlet match for the WCW TV Title but suffered a career ending knee injury partway through the first match so they had Booker T win both matches.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

It's not exactly what you're asking, but I'm not sure anyone who saw the promo videos for the New Day would have expected them to last six weeks, but here we are.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Resident Idiot posted:

It's not exactly what you're asking, but I'm not sure anyone who saw the promo videos for the New Day would have expected them to last six weeks, but here we are.

God, yeah. The original vignettes that went up for them were so terrible in every way possible, I was sure they were all doomed from the word go.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

Hogan won the IWGP title because of this, Inoki broke his leg and I guess titles change hands by DQ there, or did then

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

bartok posted:

I think there was a WCW PPV where Rick Martel was supposed to go over Booker T and then Perry Saturn in a gauntlet match for the WCW TV Title but suffered a career ending knee injury partway through the first match so they had Booker T win both matches.

Yeah, just before Booker and Benoit started trading the TV title around and got the Best of Seven series Booker was trading the belt with Martel and Saturn. He won the belt and was defending in a gauntlet with Booker and Saturn that he was supposed to win, but he got hurt and Booker and Saturn had to improv the second match on the fly.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Benne posted:

what, that's ridiculous, rusev had everything in NXT. no shoes, a big plank of wood, a crotchflap, everything!

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
A first name.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Resident Idiot posted:

ShootaBoy posted:

God, yeah. The original vignettes that went up for them were so terrible in every way possible, I was sure they were all doomed from the word go.

Who could have imagined that the further they got from Vinces 'vision', the better they got?

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
Which segment is this sample from?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsFUC5ne1Bo&t=996s

16:36 if it doesn't sync up.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
Has anyone ever figured out who Fake Mike Tenay is?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Can the ”you people” kind of promo be traced to anyone in particular who’d have popularized it?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
The Rock's first heel turn? Or maybe Bret's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

So of all the WWE guys who are constantly “on the verge of leaving” like Rusev, Sasha, The Revival, etc., who has the highest ceiling if they bounce to, say, AEW or NJPW?

I feel like I always see people here and otherwise saying “oh man, just wait until the Revival show up in AEW, they’ll be AMAZING!” Which might be true, but after an initial push of “oh poo poo, these dudes are here!,” do they have a ceiling of “another tag team” or are they total diamonds in the rough that will explode in popularity/talent (similar to Juice Robinson going from a nobody CJ Parker to his moderate upper-midcard success in NJPW now)?

Or, if Sasha goes to AEW, do you see her as a potential new ace for the Women’s Division, or nah?