Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?
drat what a crazy email to wake up to. I'm so psyched to listen, but the shopify website won't confirm my purchase and let me download the drat album!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ahhhhhhhhhh, more Ghosts! :supaburn: This is such a welcome thing for me.

I've only listened to this track so far but it's definitely doing it for me.

Photex posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp58R7BEhrw

both albums are on youtube now since nin.com is getting smashed.
I need to listen to the full albums on YouTube.

Sai-kun posted:

drat what a crazy email to wake up to. I'm so psyched to listen, but the shopify website won't confirm my purchase and let me download the drat album!
:same:

:smith::hf::smith:

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 26, 2020

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

IUG posted:

This is more like one of the soundtrack albums, and not really like the last Ghosts album. Ghosts as a bit more experimental and the tracks were more varied from track to track. Almost all of these are minimalistic piano pieces. Granted, I'm only on track 8 of 15 for the second disk, but I don't see it changing in the just the back half of the second album.

yeah, this. percussion has always been a huge part of NIN's music for me. two whole albums of ambient music is not really my cup of tea :(

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

For anyone having trouble with the store:
https://twitter.com/ninlive/status/1243192724393689090

e: Oh man, I'm really liking what I assume is Trent's heavily reverbed voice on Together :swoon:

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 26, 2020

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Gosh, this is awfully nice.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

YouTube playlist of both albums

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?
Still Right Here absolutely kills. I love it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sai-kun posted:

Still Right Here absolutely kills. I love it.
Oh wow, I just got to where it kicks in :stare: Really took me by surprise! I love this album.

e:

IUG posted:

This is more like one of the soundtrack albums, and not really like the last Ghosts album. Ghosts as a bit more experimental and the tracks were more varied from track to track. Almost all of these are minimalistic piano pieces. Granted, I'm only on track 8 of 15 for the second disk, but I don't see it changing in the just the back half of the second album.
I'm on the second track of VI now and it feels pretty experimental to me! It's got horns on it ffs! If it's another soundtrack album, this is one of the best soundtracks they've put out.

e2: And Run Like Hell has drums and horns!!!

e3: When It Happens (Don't Mind Me) is menacing as hell :ohdear:

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 26, 2020

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
This looks like a new interview. Not "new" enough to mention today's release, of course.

THE REVOLUTIONARY VISION OF NINE INCH NAILS: A STUDIO VISIT WITH TRENT REZNOR

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sir Lemming posted:

This looks like a new interview. Not "new" enough to mention today's release, of course.

THE REVOLUTIONARY VISION OF NINE INCH NAILS: A STUDIO VISIT WITH TRENT REZNOR

quote:

We've been fans of Pixar and when we were approached, it's like, Could we do that? I don't know. We should try. ... I mean, I'll be honest with you, it's been challenging and it's been anxiety. We kind of got on the wrong track the first couple of runs we took at it, because we were trying to sound like a Pixar movie. And that's not why they hired us. [But] I don't think they want a Coil album. Bowel-churning. I don't think? [Laughs]

lmao :allears:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Rageaholic posted:

I'm on the second track of VI now and it feels pretty experimental to me! It's got horns on it ffs! If it's another soundtrack album, this is one of the best soundtracks they've put out.

e2: And Run Like Hell has drums and horns!!!

e3: When It Happens (Don't Mind Me) is menacing as hell :ohdear:

The first Ghost album had a lot more variety in their tracks. One was done with water jugs I think, and others had crushing distortion on electronic samples. My first impression of these tracks is that I can hardly remember them, as they are all too similar for 90% of the tracks. They remind me too much of the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo soundtrack. It's going to take a few listens to this album to really start remembering the individual tracks.

Still, very good for the price. :v:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah a lot of the tracks are super similar. I liked how the original Ghosts had a bunch of up-tempo songs. This one is kind of depressing and bleak. It's good, but not what I was exactly looking for.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I felt depressed before the happy album was even over lmao

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I get some of these... criticisms is probably too strong a word. I can say it's a lot of ambient music and yet I wasn't bored. I was kind of underwhelmed by Ghosts I-IV at first, now it's a classic. This will definitely take at least a few more listens before I can fully process it. I definitely liked a lot of it though.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I figured it out. Ghost V-VI is Selected Ambient Works Volume II.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

IUG posted:

I figured it out. Ghost V-VI is Selected Ambient Works Volume II.
I love both SAW85-92 and SAWII, so that's fine by me v:shobon:v

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

TOOT BOOT posted:

I felt depressed before the happy album was even over lmao

Yeah, these are actually really depressing to listen to which isn't such a bad thing but not really good timing given current events. I listened to the albums once and decided I'll revisit them in a year or so, but it's not the right vibe for me right now. I'm also in the camp that was hoping it would be more like the original Ghosts with some really noisy guitar and experimentation rather than a lot of ambience that just all blends together. It's not a bad thing, though.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
I really liked Ghosts V. It reminded me a lot of A Warm Place, which is one of my favourite NIN tracks. It does also sound a lot like the soundtrack work though. If they released it under the TR/Atticus name I wouldn't have questioned it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Only heard Ghosts V so far and I really enjoyed it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

V definitely veers into soundtrack territory until the last few tracks (which is fine but we already have like 5 albums of that at this point). VI is really good though, proper sinister.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Man these are getting trashed on iTunes. Probably the worst review was 'Ministry and Stabbing Westward put out albums recently, go listen to those' Ouch.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Now I'm convinced Trent Reznor designs his ZIP archives with excruciatingly long full paths to sabotage Windows PCs on purpose

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Man these are getting trashed on iTunes. Probably the worst review was 'Ministry and Stabbing Westward put out albums recently, go listen to those' Ouch.

Strange. It’s free and for the most part interesting and good.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Leon Einstein posted:

Strange. It’s free and for the most part interesting and good.

There’s a certain type of listener who thinks NIN will never top “Closer.”

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Midjack posted:

There’s a certain type of listener who thinks NIN will never top “Closer.”
Hell, I've known people who think they haven't done anything besides Closer!

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

They're both getting a very positive reception over on rym. Locusts is at 3.84 currently

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Met an IRL guy who legit thought cash released hurt first. I thought they only existed online

He also genuinely said daft punk was dubstep, so

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Two and a half hours long; how does one man even make so much music? I wish I had that kind of creative ethic.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I would love if Trent and Atticus did a Hans Zimmer type tour where they only played stuff from their soundtrack work

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

To be expected these are ambient albums for the most part. Honestly if you weren’t down with Ghosts back in 2008 you won’t be down for this.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Pontificating rear end posted:

Two and a half hours long; how does one man even make so much music? I wish I had that kind of creative ethic.

Having a second man as your creative partner & five children to feed (one 2 months old) helps ramp up the volume of work produced.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
He's up to five kids? Holy hell, did he become Catholic?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Now accepting bets on the new kid's name. I'll start.

Galaxie Piston Zeo Heironymous Reznor

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

axelblaze posted:

Mariqueen IS Filipino, so... maybe?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

axelblaze posted:

He’s following the Osmond playbook.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Contributing to the discussion from a few pages back about Trent reusing themes in his music (La Mer/Into the Void, Closer/TDS, etc.), the song Apart on Ghost V has the piano progression from 01 Ghosts I. Nice touch.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

TOOT BOOT posted:

Stabbing Westward was my gateway drug into NIN, and, uh, I think I'm going to be listening to the three new Stabbing Westward songs more than Ghosts V and VI. The new Ghosts are still good! What I'm trying to say is thanks for telling me there's new Stabbing Westward out there and maybe check it out too? It's good!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

GuavaMoment posted:

Stabbing Westward was my gateway drug into NIN, and, uh, I think I'm going to be listening to the three new Stabbing Westward songs more than Ghosts V and VI. The new Ghosts are still good! What I'm trying to say is thanks for telling me there's new Stabbing Westward out there and maybe check it out too? It's good!

They (Stabbing Westward) also re-recorded their demo tape and put it on Bandcamp.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Next you’re going to tell me Gravity Kills released another album

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
These are great "work at home" albums so I am digging them. I am preferring Together more than Locusts honestly but I have had two on constant loop during my "work day".