Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

SunAndSpring posted:

The documentary Tiger King is insane because it's just a bunch of dumbass small business owners loving each other over and everyone else around them for like hours and hours of content in just the most insane ways possible. Like god drat the only person that didn't come off as a complete loving rear end in a top hat were a few of the park's workers and the libertarian guy who ran Joe's presidential campaign because he wanted a resume filler.

the poo poo is amazing but I can't help but be sad about the animals. when they had the scenes about not having enough food for the animals I imagine that's more often the case than not. Really hosed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

carole is absolutely torturing the gently caress out of all of her animals

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

just more downers for me to ruminate on in this hosed up world we're in. like yeah the show is entertaining but gently caress man they glossed over the abuse going on

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Farm Frenzy posted:

I really liked the reality tv producer guy who looks vaguely like tom waits and talks like a film noir protagonist

Oh yeah, that guy was fascinating too, I liked him a lot.

TheHoosier posted:

the poo poo is amazing but I can't help but be sad about the animals. when they had the scenes about not having enough food for the animals I imagine that's more often the case than not. Really hosed up

That part where someone let a bunch of big cats and other large predators off some dickhead's private zoo and the cops proceeded to gun down everyone of them really made me feel awful, along with the parts where Joe is bragging about how much each tiger cub will go for on the black market. He clearly did not, at that point, give a poo poo about the animals as anything but a source of income.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

SunAndSpring posted:

Oh yeah, that guy was fascinating too, I liked him a lot.

That part where someone let a bunch of big cats and other large predators off some dickhead's private zoo and the cops proceeded to gun down everyone of them really made me feel awful, along with the parts where Joe is bragging about how much each tiger cub will go for on the black market. He clearly did not, at that point, give a poo poo about the animals as anything but a source of income.

My wife and I both just looked at each other... Like what the gently caress, man. Human cruelty is just unreal

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Mighta come up before but a goon said they'd worked with that guy for a while and has even more insane stories, like the alcoholic clowns making a booze run in single file and full costume, and one time they apparently got beaten up by Amish

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
holy gently caress tiger king is bumming me out more than corona

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Mighta come up before but a goon said they'd worked with that guy for a while and has even more insane stories, like the alcoholic clowns making a booze run in single file and full costume, and one time they apparently got beaten up by Amish

did the amish do it directly or was god helping them out by making the alcoholic clowns step on rakes

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Some Guy TT posted:

did the amish do it directly or was god helping them out by making the alcoholic clowns step on rakes

I mean the goon apparently got beaten up, not the clowns. Though maybe also the clowns. The clowns were the only thing they elaborated on.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Okay I watched all of Tiger King holy gently caress what a nightmare. I'm pro-corona now

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020
I hope the communist tigers win

I have not watched this show

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

my favorite person on tiger king was John Finlay. he got new teeth and seems to be doing well. the tv producer guy with the weird voice was also cool, but there was something strange about him too. apparently his house burned down too not long after the park fire.

I don’t think Carol fed her husband to her tigers but she is definitely super crazy too and probably awful to work for.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

wizardofloneliness posted:

my favorite person on tiger king was John Finlay. he got new teeth and seems to be doing well. the tv producer guy with the weird voice was also cool, but there was something strange about him too. apparently his house burned down too not long after the park fire.

I don’t think Carol fed her husband to her tigers but she is definitely super crazy too and probably awful to work for.

The story about Joe's second husband was legit tragic. He was too hot young :(.

Also, that colored t-shirt system Carole implemented for her volunteers was the dumbest poo poo. She really is the Hillary Clinton of the big cat world, only slightly more likable and competent.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Equeen posted:

The story about Joe's second husband was legit tragic. He was too hot young :(.

Also, that colored t-shirt system Carole implemented for her volunteers was the dumbest poo poo. She really is the Hillary Clinton of the big cat world, only slightly more likable and competent.

yes however there is substantial evidence that hillary clinton has not yet fed her husbands to her tigers though the year is still young

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i just watched the gal gadot imagine thing after avoiding it for over a week and it put me in a bad place, i should have just avoided it forever

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I've gone through most of the Gundam shows by now and I'm kind of surprised by how much I hate SEED. It just seems like it was made by the type of person who'd wear a Kingdom Hearts trenchcoat in public. I think it's even worse than the Gunpla and SD Gundam series.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Percelus posted:

i just watched the gal gadot imagine thing after avoiding it for over a week and it put me in a bad place, i should have just avoided it forever

I clicked a video on Twitter today which was this but Limmy's face deepfaked on. Sadly I can't find it anymore.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

MizPiz posted:

I've gone through most of the Gundam shows by now and I'm kind of surprised by how much I hate SEED. It just seems like it was made by the type of person who'd wear a Kingdom Hearts trenchcoat in public. I think it's even worse than the Gunpla and SD Gundam series.

Where's a good place to start with Gundam? Just go for the original series and work my way through it all? I've not watched much anime but it's a series I've always been vaguely interested in.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

The only good animated shows were made in the Soviet union and affiliated countries.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Was that recent Les Mis miniseries with McNulty as Valjean any good?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

ro5s posted:

Where's a good place to start with Gundam? Just go for the original series and work my way through it all? I've not watched much anime but it's a series I've always been vaguely interested in.

Yeah, the original might have dated animation but it holds up in a lot of other ways and if you like you can just continue down the Universal Century timeline.

I started watching the Gundam shows in basically production order 10-15 years ago and it worked for me!

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

ro5s posted:

yeah, the universal century is the "main" universe that most of the stories take place in. you should probably watch them in order of release even tho that means it skips around the history as some of the newer stuff assumes you've seen the older stuff even if chronologically it hasnt happened yet. as for the first series from 1979, there is an edit of it into three movies that are a bit easier to watch if you have trouble with the cheap 1970s animation

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have bad news about the Tiger King

https://twitter.com/InThierry/status/1244835538135384064

...CANCELLED!

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Carol Rosin's first husband was deffo running cocaine from latin america as a cia asset (I say with with no proof whatsoever but do remember they never explain how he got rich) so it's hard to say if being fed to tigers was too good for him

her second husband is like a King of the Hill drawing of an effete rich liberal brought to life

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Taintrunner posted:

I have bad news about the Tiger King

https://twitter.com/InThierry/status/1244835538135384064

...CANCELLED!

chet hanks should start a zoo

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Carol Rosin's first husband was deffo running cocaine from latin america as a cia asset (I say with with no proof whatsoever but do remember they never explain how he got rich) so it's hard to say if being fed to tigers was too good for him

her second husband is like a King of the Hill drawing of an effete rich liberal brought to life

her third husband would definitely be a cuck if carol wanted strange dick

naturally he wouldn't be allowed to get some strange himself

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I might need to watch this insane tiger saga, it's like something out of another time.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I might need to watch this insane tiger saga, it's like something out of another time.

It left a real bitter taste in my mouth after finishing it, like they really get away from the fact that there's hundreds of these animals being abused and exploited for profit and it's sort of treated as this distraction from wacky redneck antics.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

ro5s posted:

If you want something outside of the Universal Century, Gundam Wing isn't a bad place to start. It's not the best in the series, but it does a decent job of distilling the spirit of the series into 49 episodes.

00 is basically a remake of Gundam Wing but inspired by the War on Terror. It can be almost comedically melodramatic as the series goes on, but I need to mention it because of a specific moment that's honestly one of my favorites in the series: When one of the gundams drone strikes a wedding

Iron Blooded Orphans is tied for being the best of the spin-offs. It has some cringe in the form of the polygamy gang and one of the adult main characters being engaged to an eight year old*, but it does the best at conveying that the cool robot battles are actually pretty horrifying.

G Gundam is the other best gundam for basically the opposite reason. It's almost tailored made for the irony poisoned and that's really all you should know before going into it.

*It is sort of dulled by the fact that they hint that Gjallarhorn is basically the Clinton Crime family in space

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Got really confused by the Tiger King director really pushing the narrative that Joe Exotic's two husbands were secretly straight because they had sex with women. Don't think someone gets into a same-sex marriage and makes out with a dude constantly if they're not at least a 2-4 on the Kinsey scale.

In general, Joe is such a weird guy because there's always a catch to anything good he did; dude just cannot do anything unambiguously good to save his own life. Joe's saving the tigers! Oh wait, turns out he's making them gently caress to sell their cubs on the black market and feeding them Walmart refuse meat. Joe hired a bunch of LGBT people! Too bad he's paying them below minimum wage and makes them live in a rat-infested trailer with no AC. Money really does rot your soul since he sounded like he was an ok person when he was younger but the second he got rich, his humanity withered away.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

SunAndSpring posted:

Got really confused by the Tiger King director really pushing the narrative that Joe Exotic's two husbands were secretly straight because they had sex with women. Don't think someone gets into a same-sex marriage and makes out with a dude constantly if they're not at least a 2-4 on the Kinsey scale.

In general, Joe is such a weird guy because there's always a catch to anything good he did; dude just cannot do anything unambiguously good to save his own life. Joe's saving the tigers! Oh wait, turns out he's making them gently caress to sell their cubs on the black market and feeding them Walmart refuse meat. Joe hired a bunch of LGBT people! Too bad he's paying them below minimum wage and makes them live in a rat-infested trailer with no AC. Money really does rot your soul since he sounded like he was an ok person when he was younger but the second he got rich, his humanity withered away.

people that are very straight will do all sorts of things when narcotics were involved and clearly narcotics were involved. i've known quite a few heroin addicts that never had same sex hookups go gay for pay

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Taintrunner posted:

It left a real bitter taste in my mouth after finishing it, like they really get away from the fact that there's hundreds of these animals being abused and exploited for profit and it's sort of treated as this distraction from wacky redneck antics.

it's not hundreds of animals, it's thousands

there are more tigers in captivity in the us alone than in the wild internationally, maybe even twice as many

i imagine most big cat owners are like the ones featured on the tiger king

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Percelus posted:

i imagine most big cat owners are like the ones featured on the tiger king

yeah, the state of mind one has to be in to think "it is a great idea to own a half-ton wild carnivore that could murder me and anyone else in my house in a second if it wanted to" is not a good one. but everybody that gets to that point likely expresses similar behaviors / patterns

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i'm watching the netflix original movie 'the platform' and i highly recommend it, it's very cspam

ngl i'm jealous of my cousins who live in astorias, canary islands and the basque country, their grandparents and parents were smart af not to migrate to this devil nation

hell the ones that stayed in cuba are also looking p smart these days

Pork Chops Aplenty
Jan 11, 2008

Tbh Spain was the OG Demon Cracker Nation though

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

PUSSY MASTER 007 posted:

ya but they already had centuries of karmic retribution to pay for their sins

we're just starting to reap what we've sowed on the other hand

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

PUSSY MASTER 007 posted:

but Africa begins at the Pyrenees?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/shafieikeyvan/status/1245412838543425537?s=21

JEFF LOWE IS A COMRADE

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so im reading the peoples future of the united states heres a summary of some of its stories

calexit happened and californians are all snooty cyberpunk douchebags while the rest of the country is hyperreligious and oh why cant we all just get along

a nonbinary person in a future where the government really cares about that for some reason but is saved because the government surveillance program has developed sentience and decided to protect nonbinary people for some reason

a fake excerpt from an academic essay about some rando on twitter starting some kind of shadow government that somehow turns into the real government

a gay guy who gets some kind of std that turns sex into an insane acid trip thats like actually real life or something and maybe this will help somehow with the surveillance poles hes setting up that are gonna help the government illegalize gayness or something

some carriers of some civilization destroying disease being really whiny about being put into quarantine for some reason i could never really figure out oh also two of them have a test tube daughter that was created against their consent

an unnamed president that is obviously supposed to be trump accidentally gets his dna rewired by some kind of government project to make america great again by rewriting the genetic code but the project develops sentience and turns everybody into nonbinary indians including all our past presidents

another dystopia where women have to always get married and have babies early and a really evil senator whos spearheaded this effort recruits the contraception dealing teenage protagonist to take his knocked up daughter somewhere that abortions possible and is naturally brought down upon everyone learning that hes a hypocrite

an antigay virtual reality where gay people trick other people into thinking theyre not actually gay but no amount of virtual reality mind wiping can erase the gayness in their hearts

some kind of virus kills all the rich people and a bunch of other people too apparently it feeds off of evil thoughts and the only way to fight it is by having gay sex to make gay babies because the virus forces us to reproduce by true love instead

some hacker makes black people into white people so they can get fairer trials but the russians want to stir poo poo up and are clearly the bad guys even though maybe eighty percent of the text is just complaining about how horribly racist ohio is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

SunAndSpring posted:

Came up before but a goon apparently worked for him for a while and it was even more surreal than the show portrays, the only story that got detailed was the clowns making a booze run.