Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Gonna start out by saying that I don't have a ton of JRPG experience outside of the likes of Pokemon, hell I've only ever played a single Final Fantasy game (X, and I did not enjoy it, even with a strategy guide because it was so weird and dumb). But I actually have a Switch of my own now and I'm finding myself awfully tempted by the idea of a content rich game that I can play in places that aren't the same chair I use for my pc and consoles, and at $30 it feels kind of like this is a now or never point to get it.

How hard is this game overall? I doubt I'll ever do any kind of super secret mega boss or anything, or get really into manipulating the systems and stats, I mostly just want to know if this game is gonna kick my rear end up and down if I'm not doing stuff 100% optimally at all times.

Does it have hidden gotcha's at all, or unclear points of no return? It doesn't seem like from what I've looked at, but I've been fooled by games before, so I'm gonna ask anyway to be safe.

This last one isn't a real question I need answered, but how the hell did they get a game looking like this and fit it into less than 5 gigs??? I have games with half as much content but 4 times the filesize while looking worse!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

ShootaBoy posted:

How hard is this game overall? I doubt I'll ever do any kind of super secret mega boss or anything, or get really into manipulating the systems and stats, I mostly just want to know if this game is gonna kick my rear end up and down if I'm not doing stuff 100% optimally at all times.
You should be fine. If you're not looking for the secret stuff, you shouldn't need to worry too much. The story content won't be terribly hard if you keep up with leveling. Before you head into an dungeon, it will tell you the Danger Rating, which is the recommended level.

quote:

Does it have hidden gotcha's at all, or unclear points of no return? It doesn't seem like from what I've looked at, but I've been fooled by games before, so I'm gonna ask anyway to be safe.
I don't think so? Sometimes you get locked into a town for a bit due to plot, but there's generally a spot where you can duck out if you need to go buy something.

There's definitely no expiration for any of the sidequests.

quote:

This last one isn't a real question I need answered, but how the hell did they get a game looking like this and fit it into less than 5 gigs??? I have games with half as much content but 4 times the filesize while looking worse!
Your guess is as good as mine. The game is gorgeous.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

ShootaBoy posted:

Gonna start out by saying that I don't have a ton of JRPG experience outside of the likes of Pokemon, hell I've only ever played a single Final Fantasy game (X, and I did not enjoy it, even with a strategy guide because it was so weird and dumb). But I actually have a Switch of my own now and I'm finding myself awfully tempted by the idea of a content rich game that I can play in places that aren't the same chair I use for my pc and consoles, and at $30 it feels kind of like this is a now or never point to get it.

This game is very easy. There are save points everywhere and it auto saves when you change zones. So if you wander into an area that's over your head and you die you don't lose much time. You don't need to grind levels. Just explore every area for loot and the random battles you fight while treasure hunting should keep you leveled adequately.

There are very few if no missable items and if they're missable they're not endgame stuff so don't worry about missing anything important. If you're super obsessed about this then pick Therion as your first character so that he will always be there to open purple chests (which only he can open).

The game will always warn you about a point of no return, like "are you ready to fight this boss y/n" and the only true point of no return is the area with the optional super boss and you already said you're not going to do that so you're fine.

This game loving owns super hard and I can't recommend it enough.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

ShootaBoy posted:

It starts out pretty easy for every character, though there’s a bit of a difficulty spike once you’ve finished recruiting everyone and start doing the second chapters of their stories. There’s only a few bosses that feel very hard depending on when you encounter them.

The only major gotchas in this are entirely optional content in sidequests. And the true final boss.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

ShootaBoy posted:

I'm also not a huge JRPG fan but this is definitely one of the good ones. I put this one down for fire emblem but like a lot of people I've suddenly got a lot more at-home time and I will be coming back to this when I finish my second FE run.

In terms of difficulty it isn't hard, but it's definitely worth reading done guides on where to find things, how to unlock jobs, and which characters work well with which jobs. Not required by any means but it will smooth it out. It is a JRPG so there's some management in terms of keeping your characters at or near level parity but if you're just doing the main plot you shouldn't need to grind anything.

quote:

Low resolution textures, very simple geometry, and very effective use of shaders.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Welp, its downloading now, should be ready in an hour or two, and I'll probably dip my toe in after dinner. Thanks for the answers and opinions, I imagine I'll be back with more once I actually get into the game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm almost at the end of the chapter 3 quests and yeah this game is super easy if you're used to breaking systems open. The core battle mechanic revolves around keeping enemies stunlocked and if you put thought into it, doing so is very simple. Bosses aren't immune to like, anything. Skills like Leghold Trap have a zero percent fail rate. Etc.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I did get party wiped by an optional boss whose gimmick is putting your party to sleep but then tried again with resistance to ailments and mopped the floor with it

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Yeah my party for almost the entire game was

Primrose - starter so she can't leave
Ophilia - only person with a full party heal
Cyrus - LMAO magic is broken in this game
Whoever the current chapter required

After each chapter I would put Therion in to go back for purple chests and then any other time it was H'aanit because she's cool as gently caress and I love her voice and the way she talks.

Most encounters and boss fights would consist of physical attackers breaking armor, then Primrose would cast Peacock Strut on Cyrus, then Cyrus would load 3 boosts into a double hit spell and melt everything. Giving everyone Patience just made it even more hilarious and easy. It got even easier when I gave Ophilia Scholar as her 2nd job because, well, magic is crazy powerful.

There were definitely a couple chapter bosses that got me once but only once. When you lose to a boss you know exactly what you have to do on the runback and there's always a save point right near it so you can re-gear and re-spec your party to crush it.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Christ this game is really fuckin' good. And also super pretty, it really is impressive how good they made a bunch of sprites look.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

ShootaBoy posted:

Christ this game is really fuckin' good. And also super pretty, it really is impressive how good they made a bunch of sprites look.

The little subtle flourishes are so good. Like when you fight on the beach and there's mist floating up from the waves crashing on the rocks near you. And the blurry birds flying overhead in the background.

The particle effects are awesome too. And I love the little audio subtleties like animal noises when you walk past them.

Who did you pick as your first character?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah I don't ever sprint in new areas because of how great everything looks. The map design is simple but still engaging too.

I'm at 52 hours and still loving every second of it. Really is the most charming and fun JRPG I've played maybe ever, and I've played a billion of em

Tressa is my spirit animal and Therion is my husbando

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Elephant Ambush posted:

The little subtle flourishes are so good. Like when you fight on the beach and there's mist floating up from the waves crashing on the rocks near you. And the blurry birds flying overhead in the background.

The particle effects are awesome too. And I love the little audio subtleties like animal noises when you walk past them.

Who did you pick as your first character?

I really like the snow and ice effects in the town I got to just before my battery put a stop to playtime, its gorgeous there.

I went with Tressa, being able to buy gear and stuff off of random people seemed useful, and she seemed a bit more interesting to me than the other character that uses spears. Haven't regretted it so far!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Once you get the option to steal stuff, it's really hard to justify buying any of it :ninja:

Really feels like getting a discount should have been less random and based on her level or something

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The main perk of Purchase is some of the responses you get, especially in the post-game once you buy from the various NPCs from earlier chapters.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

What's a good game plan for my first superboss? My party is primrose, Ophelia, Cyrus, tressa, all lvl 50 to 45. And if I need another character, what's a good powerleveling strat?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

xedo posted:

What's a good game plan for my first superboss? My party is primrose, Ophelia, Cyrus, tressa, all lvl 50 to 45. And if I need another character, what's a good powerleveling strat?

Depends on who it is!

To the people playing for the first time or so, a good recommendation I got was to pick out an A and B team, play through chapters 2-4 on team A and then switch and do team B. It keeps you from outlevelling everything later and allows you to keep the challenge up fairly well.

Also a decent way to think about team comp is to run a Damage dealer, A healer, A Debuffer and a Battery.

Damage is usually warrior/mage, Healer is some sort of cleric, Debuffer is typically Rogue/Beastmaster and Battery is typically Merchant/Alfyn.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Mar 31, 2020

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

xedo posted:

You should grind everyone to level 70.

LOL.

I wish I was joking.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Elephant Ambush posted:

You should grind everyone to level 70.

LOL.

I wish I was joking.

Yeah I loving LOVED this game but bounced off the post game hard

And I don't regret anything

Free Triangle
Jan 2, 2008

"This is no ordinary poster boy!
No ordinary poster!"
I saw the grind and I just cheat engined my way to 70. Never feel shame skipping boring grinds!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

They said first superboss, so I'm assuming they mean the secret job bosses

45-50 is totally fine levelwise, because the skills are much more important than sheer levels. It really depends on which one you're planning to fight, because each one requires different preparation.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

They said first superboss, so I'm assuming they mean the secret job bosses

45-50 is totally fine levelwise, because the skills are much more important than sheer levels. It really depends on which one you're planning to fight, because each one requires different preparation.

Yes, this. Thanks!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, there’s also a recommended order for a couple of them.

Having Runelord Tressa makes the Warmaster (and just about every other boss) much easier, since she can give Sidestep to everyone else in your party. The only hitch is that Runelord is the only one who doesn’t have some way to cheese his fight, though he can take a LOT of damage from Poison if you apply it early on.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

More Chapter 4 side-bosses strategy spoilers.

Runelord can be cheesed with Incite/Sidestep, so Warrior Tressa and/or Merchant Olberic are handy to have.

Sorcerer can be cheesed with Dancer Divine to put Reflecting Veil on everyone (bonus if you can get Cleric Divine on the Veiler to double the stacks). That said, it's not as easy since the Sorcerer boss can block buffs for a few rounds and will do so at the start of the battle.

Starseer, you can't really cheese sadly, which is why it's best saved for last.

As mentioned, Poison does great damage since their Max HP is all so high, and of course Alfyn is nice because Concoct is nice for healing and BP Boosting, plus Dohter's is a great Divine in general. Saving Grace on a character or two would be great as well for overhealing, as well as Surpassing Power on your damage dealers. Don't forget to Collect and get paid!

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I was excited for this game, but then it came out on Steam with a $90 price tag. but even at 50% off, it's still more expensive than most games. What the gently caress is the deal?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Mega64 posted:

More Chapter 4 side-bosses strategy spoilers.

Runelord can be cheesed with Incite/Sidestep, so Warrior Tressa and/or Merchant Olberic are handy to have.

Sorcerer can be cheesed with Dancer Divine to put Reflecting Veil on everyone (bonus if you can get Cleric Divine on the Veiler to double the stacks). That said, it's not as easy since the Sorcerer boss can block buffs for a few rounds and will do so at the start of the battle.

Starseer, you can't really cheese sadly, which is why it's best saved for last.

As mentioned, Poison does great damage since their Max HP is all so high, and of course Alfyn is nice because Concoct is nice for healing and BP Boosting, plus Dohter's is a great Divine in general. Saving Grace on a character or two would be great as well for overhealing, as well as Surpassing Power on your damage dealers. Don't forget to Collect and get paid!

Maybe I was overleveled at the time but Runelord and Starseer weren't hard for me just using my regular party and doing my usual thing.

Warmaster took me 2 tries but the Warmagus was definitely the hardest and I had to look up a cheese strat for him. If you set things up right you can actually break his armor before he gets his buff blockers up. Then you can do the party reflect thing and he'll just basically kill himself lol.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Chocobo posted:

I was excited for this game, but then it came out on Steam with a $90 price tag. but even at 50% off, it's still more expensive than most games. What the gently caress is the deal?

Specific countries being weird with pricing. Other countries have it expensive, but not near that expensive.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

To the people playing for the first time or so, a good recommendation I got was to pick out an A and B team, play through chapters 2-4 on team A and then switch and do team B. It keeps you from outlevelling everything later and allows you to keep the challenge up fairly well.

Does this help prevent needing to grind to keep up with levels? I think I burned out somewhere in Chapter 2 when I tried to play through last year and I don't exactly remember why, but I think I ended up in a position where I felt like my characters were way too weak and also I was way too poor to afford better gear and just had to grind for a while. Maybe I was rotating my party too much.

I really want to give the game another shot so I suppose I'll try picking an A and B team and just sticking to that after Chapter 1.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've not been doing any grinding at all and just finished all the chapter 3s. Switching out everyone between quests, Tressa is level 54 and everyone else is 42-44.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I'd like to make a formal announcement. I, the OP of the thread, have finally bought Octopath Traveler and played for an hour, going with Cyrus.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Terper posted:

I'd like to make a formal announcement. I, the OP of the thread, have finally bought Octopath Traveler and played for an hour, going with Cyrus.

You should've studied harder

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Harrow posted:

Does this help prevent needing to grind to keep up with levels? I think I burned out somewhere in Chapter 2 when I tried to play through last year and I don't exactly remember why, but I think I ended up in a position where I felt like my characters were way too weak and also I was way too poor to afford better gear and just had to grind for a while. Maybe I was rotating my party too much.

I really want to give the game another shot so I suppose I'll try picking an A and B team and just sticking to that after Chapter 1.

Yes, I specifically played a no grinding run. It also makes the second team feel like NG+.

The big thing is the game gets easier with time as you move through the chapters and get more options to explore with your team composition as well as get more familiar with the game. So feel free to use a lot of resources in Chapter 2 if you think you need to.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Now I just need to decide who to start with for my starting over run. I like Cyrus a lot but do I want him to be my Main Dude? I dunno. Maybe! Alfyn also seems cool and chill. And then there's Tressa, the one who I could easily imagine wanting to tag along with everyone else and who will become God when she can be a Runelord.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Thanks for the advice all!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Harrow posted:

Now I just need to decide who to start with for my starting over run. I like Cyrus a lot but do I want him to be my Main Dude? I dunno. Maybe! Alfyn also seems cool and chill. And then there's Tressa, the one who I could easily imagine wanting to tag along with everyone else and who will become God when she can be a Runelord.

Starting with Therion means never having to go back to grab a purple chest.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

What are the best characters to pick? Im playing the demo and tried the merchant, scholar, and thief. So far I like the thief the best.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

ChocNitty posted:

What are the best characters to pick? Im playing the demo and tried the merchant, scholar, and thief. So far I like the thief the best.

I'm not massively in yet (Picked up my third character last time I played) but based on how its been so far, you could get by with anyone, although the scholar, Cyrus, is an absolute monster in combat as well as being a fun character.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

ChocNitty posted:

Whoever you like the best.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

ChocNitty posted:

Thief, Merchant, Scholar and Warrior are fantastic.

Alfyn (the Apothecary) is broken in half if you know how to use him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rand Brittain posted:

Starting with Therion means never having to go back to grab a purple chest.

Realizing that none of them have anything special in them also means never having to do so