Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I've heard the "people fighting for their farms fight better" argument before and it's crap. People fight well if they're trained and motivated. If they're motivated by thoughts of home and hearth, fine, but that's not an innately better reason to fight than, say, a bunch of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I've heard the "people fighting for their farms fight better" argument before and it's crap. People fight well if they're trained and motivated. If they're motivated by thoughts of home and hearth, fine, but that's not an innately better reason to fight than, say, a bunch of money.
I could see it discouraging betrayal, at least, even if it might not have much of an impact on fighting elan.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The conscripted army of small farm owners was disastrous for the Roman middle class. Farm owners would go off on campaign for years at a time, come home to a farm in extreme disrepair, and be basically forced to sell it to make ends meet

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

NikkolasKing posted:

I've never understood why everything is compared to Rome. And I really do like history and culture and tradition and think all of these things are important for how we proceed. There's nothing wrong with looking back at Rome for some inspiration or ideas, like the modern Republicanism movement. (not US Republicans, Republicanism)

It's like, a few weeks ago, a guy I know sent me a paper he did reviewing and criticizing a book by Red Dreher. If you don't know Dreher, he's a fringe conservative Christian who still has some influence so he's worth keeping an eye on. Anyway,in his book, he compared our modern world to the fall of the Roman Empire. The only solution is good orthodox Christians making little enclaves of themselves to stay pure and safe from the liberal hordes. Only, his thesis is that Medieval Christian Europe (before William of Ockham hosed up everything) was the best thing ever.

So, I like history but I'm not particularly good at it. Even still, I know the Roman Empire falling led to this wonderful time he was praising. So, if we are living in a similar age, surely that just means we are heading for a glorious restoration of Christianity and Christian values all over the West!

There was also Camille Paglia talking about how transpeople is similar to the degeneracy that led to the fall of the Roman Empire.

Rome was a pretty cool place to learn about and I understand some of our Founding Fathers were inspired by Roman philosophy. Even still, the United States being like the Roman Republic or Empire in any real way seems like a bit of a stretch, to put it mildly.

You know how the PRC claims literal, state-to-state descent all the way back to mythological emperors?

"Western civilization" isn't all that different. Comparisons to Rome aren't a modern thing. Europe (yes even the parts that were not a part of the Roman Empire on the map, and let's be real Estonia is culturally more roman than they are 1000 BCE tribesmen), the Mediterranean, and by consequence the Americas and the other scattered settler states have been slapfighting over who is the real Rome since long before the OG Rome fell for good, and thrusting christianity into the mix made the idea of "Rome" even stronger. It's a fundamental part of our collective history and mythology and people won't stop comparing every society to Rome and making Rome allusions about the current political landscape for the foreseeable future. In 2200 the scattered survivors of our dead civilization will almost certainly know who Caesar was or at least know the name and associate it with a glorious/hedonistic/holy/pagan/something empire long past.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 29, 2020

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I was surprised recently by how cheaply you can acquire ancient coins. You can buy a coin struck right after the death of Constantine and bearing his visage for $30.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

cheetah7071 posted:

The conscripted army of small farm owners was disastrous for the Roman middle class. Farm owners would go off on campaign for years at a time, come home to a farm in extreme disrepair, and be basically forced to sell it to make ends meet

If you know a better way to scoop up a bunch of farms on the cheap the ruling class would be all ears.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I was surprised recently by how cheaply you can acquire ancient coins. You can buy a coin struck right after the death of Constantine and bearing his visage for $30.

It's a great hobby. The coins are undervalued. The small copper imperial roman coins are so inexpensive that they aren't worth the time and effort to forge, so you can feel comfortable that they're the real deal.

Romans would bury their hoard of coins, go off to war and get killed, and the coins stayed in the ground, and when metal detectors came around, many hoards were discovered, and the supply outweighs the demand. That will change eventually.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

the people i study are remarkably motivated

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm no expert on this stuff so correct me if I'm wrong, but conscripted farmers going off on campaign for years sounds like an offensive thing where they aren't actually fighting to defend their own land any more (except maybe in an abstract sense of "if we don't conquer these guys they're gonna keep coming at us"). I always understood the "fighting for hearth and home" thing to imply being on the defensive where if you don't win you face the immediate threat of your family being slaughtered or sold into slavery and your farm being razed to the ground.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 29, 2020

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Wafflecopper posted:

I'm no expert on this stuff so correct me if I'm wrong, but conscripted farmers going off on campaign for years sounds like an offensive thing where they aren't actually fighting to defend their own land any more (except maybe in an abstract sense of "if we don't conquer these guys they're gonna keep coming at us"). I always understood the "fighting for hearth and home" thing to imply being on the defensive where if you don't win you face the immediate threat of your family being slaughtered or sold into slavery and your farm being razed to the ground.

This was in fact a major complaint. The system stayed in place from the period where what you describe makes sense, all the way up until it became completely infeasible. There was a long period in between where it was merely mostly infeasible.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Wafflecopper posted:

I am having trouble thinking of any war off hand that got framed as "We're gonna go gently caress those guys up and take their poo poo!" Raids, presumably, yes, but everything else would at least get some defensive rhetorical exercise: "we're bombing Pearl Harbor because our best long-term goal here is to obtain control over these oilfields, and our strategy is to gently caress up the US Navy and then wear them out before they actually reach our war goals and/or have the decisive battle."

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The entire point of being consul was so you could lead legions and conquer nearby peoples, winning you glory and making you incredibly wealthy. I mean, sure, it didn't start that way, but that's what it evolved into.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Yep. There are literal billions of them and they're not worth anything after they're used for dating sites. Just make sure you do due diligence and are buying them reputably, like from a museum. People go out and dig up coin hoards and destroy archaeological sites, you don't want to support that. But ones that were excavated properly are then often sold to fund more archaeology, and in that situation they're perfectly fine to buy because the information's been recorded.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Wafflecopper posted:

Remember, too, in the days of the Kingdom/early Republic, when this thing started, the Romans were fighting their immediate neighbors. So, for instance, when the Romans and the rest of the Latin League send an army to Arisia to defend it against Clusium, Arisia is 16 miles away from Rome. The big battle in the first war between the Latin League and Rome was settled at the battle of Lake Regulus, which is about 12 miles away. And, remember, even in a lot of the long wars in the early Republic, the armies weren't in the field all the time. The armies would be gathered after planting was done, go out and fight in the summer, and then disband and go back home for the harvest. So they could get away with that, especially because if you were rich enough to have your own equipment and farm, you probably had at least a few slaves or servants to tend to the farm when you weren't there.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I realize concepts of The West and Western History are vague but I'm right in that at least some people say the fall of Rome was the end of the Roman Empire while others say Byzantium continuing to exist means the Roman Empire continued to exist, right?

I'm just curious because, while I mainly study philosophy and intellectual history, we tend to trace our origins back to the Greeks. Athens and democracy and Socrates and all that good stuff. Then comes the Roman Empire until it goes away. But we don't count Byzantium who were also Greek. So we include and fixate on one bit of Greek history while another is sort of...not neglected but categorized differently.

Is that wrong? I've always heard it phrased as the Latin West and the Greek East. But we were okay with the Greeks in Alexander's time and before and they're part of "the West" so...I don't get it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The Byzantine Empire was the Roman Empire. If you called them Greek, you'd get tossed out on your rear end. The term Byzantine was just applied to them by a German historian forever ago.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ancient jewelry is pretty darn cheap too. I mean, it's jewelry, sure, but it just costs about as much as midrange modern jewelry does.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
“Byzantine” is a pretty modern term. “Greek Empire” is older and was used of the empire while it still existed, but never by the Byzantines themselves; it was a Latin (ie western European) thing that drew a contrast to their own (Holy) Roman Empire.

You don’t get too many historians these days who uncritically talk about “the fall of the Roman Empire” in the 5th century without pointing out that half (or more, depending on how tendentious and edgy they want their book to be) of the empire didn’t fall at that time. It’s a fairly dated thing to ignore Byzantium.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

NikkolasKing posted:

Is that wrong? I've always heard it phrased as the Latin West and the Greek East. But we were okay with the Greeks in Alexander's time and before and they're part of "the West" so...I don't get it.

You will get different answers from different people. I am on the far end of saying the east was "Greek" until the Romans came, and after a fairly long period of Roman rule the idea of Greek identity went away. They still spoke Greek but everyone in the eastern empire identified as Romans. Being Roman was not tied to actually being from Rome for many centuries during the period of the united empire. The vast majority of Romans would never have seen Italy let alone Rome, they were a massive multi-ethnic empire with a range of languages and local cultures that still existed within the category of Romans. People living in the east who spoke Greek called their country Romania until 1453, and themselves Rhomaioi until into the early 20th century in some communities. They were also called Romans by their Ottoman rulers.

So, in my opinion, Greek is a term that gets applied to two entirely different cultures that share a linguistic and cultural history. The pre-Roman Greeks and the modern Greeks are certainly related, it's not like Greece was ever purged and resettled or anything (though Anatolia was), but other than living in the same location and speaking a similar language they're different people. It's like modern Egyptians versus ancient ones.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Grand Fromage posted:

You will get different answers from different people. I am on the far end of saying the east was "Greek" until the Romans came, and after a fairly long period of Roman rule the idea of Greek identity went away. They still spoke Greek but everyone in the eastern empire identified as Romans. Being Roman was not tied to actually being from Rome for many centuries during the period of the united empire. The vast majority of Romans would never have seen Italy let alone Rome, they were a massive multi-ethnic empire with a range of languages and local cultures that still existed within the category of Romans. People living in the east who spoke Greek called their country Romania until 1453, and themselves Rhomaioi until into the early 20th century in some communities. They were also called Romans by their Ottoman rulers.

So, in my opinion, Greek is a term that gets applied to two entirely different cultures that share a linguistic and cultural history. The pre-Roman Greeks and the modern Greeks are certainly related, it's not like Greece was ever purged and resettled or anything (though Anatolia was), but other than living in the same location and speaking a similar language they're different people. It's like modern Egyptians versus ancient ones.

Greece (except the Peloponnesus) was sort of resettled during the 6th and 7th centuries, they got a lot of Sclavenian influx while the empire was distracted by the Arabs. Mostly they ended up Hellenizing rather than the other way around, though.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

I realize concepts of The West and Western History are vague but I'm right in that at least some people say the fall of Rome was the end of the Roman Empire while others say Byzantium continuing to exist means the Roman Empire continued to exist, right?

I'm just curious because, while I mainly study philosophy and intellectual history, we tend to trace our origins back to the Greeks. Athens and democracy and Socrates and all that good stuff. Then comes the Roman Empire until it goes away. But we don't count Byzantium who were also Greek. So we include and fixate on one bit of Greek history while another is sort of...not neglected but categorized differently.

well "western history" is indeed so vague it's hard to really say much about why some societies in some time periods are included or excluded. it's a very after-the-fact way of looking at things, taking the cultural and political divisions of the 20th century and projecting them backward to put historical peoples and states into neat categories.

ultimately the reason the eastern roman empire after the fall of the western empire is considered "not west" is the great schism. orthodox nations are not part of "the west" because, if they were, russia would be an inheritor of "western culture" the same as western europe. also, the ERE fell to the turks and largely became part of "the east".

it's all just basically bullshit tho. nobody on earth is the inheritor of a solely "western" tradition of thought, at every point throughout "western" history there was influence on that thought from "non-western" sources

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Grand Fromage posted:

(though Anatolia was)

Wait, what happened with Anatolia?

e: I mean obviously there were the Turks but I always thought they were a pretty small minority

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's a certain element of the ship of Theseus paradox when trying to determine whether a state is the same as it was previously after everyone previously alive is dead. States where all power and identifying characteristics derive from an inherently transient individual seem even more prone to wildly changing to the point of making you question the continuity of identity.

I feel like Roman to Byzantine empire is like you started with the ship of Theseus and wound up with a bus. From an external perspective, just about everything inherent has changed, and if those are the same identity, it's questionable what even qualifies as identity in the first place.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I feel like this posted once a quarter or so but Xenopus is legit and I've spent a couple hundred on him.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3884740

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Wafflecopper posted:

At least for the Romans, offensive and defensive wars are hard to distinguish. They're usually marching out in response to something or as a reprisal, but keeping war away from the city and its surroundings was very important. For instance, one could say the response to Hannibal's invasion was defensive (the Romans certainly defined it as such) but most of the fighting was far away from the city in other parts of Italy. They assembled "defensive" armies, and then marched out.

Later in the Republican era, a lot of Rome's initial conquests are at least nominally responses to outside threats. Cisalpine Gaul was conquered to stop raiding, Illyria was conquered to stop piracy, Macedon to defend allies, Hispania and Africa in response to Carthage, etc. Whether or not these were the actual reasons for war is beside the point in terms of motivation: the Romans perceived them to be defensive wars and acted accordingly.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

skasion posted:

Greece (except the Peloponnesus) was sort of resettled during the 6th and 7th centuries, they got a lot of Sclavenian influx while the empire was distracted by the Arabs. Mostly they ended up Hellenizing rather than the other way around, though.

Yeah there were migrations, but the native population didn't really go anywhere. There's also the fact that for ancient Greek culture, Anatolia and Italy were in some respects more important and what we think of as Greece was kind of a backwater outside of a couple of major cities. Athens was a big deal, but we also pay far more attention to it than it probably deserves since our Greek sources are so heavily Athens-based.

Koramei posted:

Wait, what happened with Anatolia?

e: I mean obviously there were the Turks but I always thought they were a pretty small minority

When the Turks took over there was a massive refugee migration out of central Anatolia to the coasts where there was still Roman control. Over time many of those people continued leaving and moving into Roman territory. From 1914-1922 there was an organized genocide of Greeks in the Ottoman Empire/Turkey, and tons of Greeks fled who weren't killed. Then in 1923 there was the population exchange where most of the remaining Greeks in Turkish territory were forcibly expelled. There are still people in Turkey who are of the original Greek ethnicity, but the people who identified as Greek/were Orthodox Christians were removed.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
All roman wars of expansion were defensive in nature, change my mind. :colbert:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If you live backwards in time, helpless populations being subjugated are actually barbarian hordes dissassembling everything you've ever known.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's a certain element of the ship of Theseus paradox when trying to determine whether a state is the same as it was previously after everyone previously alive is dead. States where all power and identifying characteristics derive from an inherently transient individual seem even more prone to wildly changing to the point of making you question the continuity of identity.

I feel like Roman to Byzantine empire is like you started with the ship of Theseus and wound up with a bus. From an external perspective, just about everything inherent has changed, and if those are the same identity, it's questionable what even qualifies as identity in the first place.

Romulus, Gaius Julius Caesar, Trajan, Romulus Augustulus, the Habsburgs, the Komnenoi, and the Ottomans were all roman. Justin Trudeau is roman. Erdogan is roman. Trump is roman. Yu the Great was as chinese as Liu Xuande and Kublai Khan and Deng Xiaoping. Noticing and caring about the legalistic bullshit regarding who technically inherited what ancient empire is practically a guarantee that you're part of it. That anyone notices or cares about it proves that it is still relevant.

Like if you're reading Caesar and your government somehow still has a frighteningly familiar eagle or two in its various logos, in 2CE or 200 or 500 or 1500 or 2020, congrats, you're a goddam roman.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Romulus, Gaius Julius Caesar, Trajan, Romulus Augustulus, the Habsburgs, the Komnenoi, and the Ottomans were all roman. Justin Trudeau is roman. Erdogan is roman. Trump is roman...Like if you're reading Caesar and your government somehow still has a frighteningly familiar eagle or two in its various logos, in 2CE or 200 or 500 or 1500 or 2020, congrats, you're a goddam roman.
incredibly hype

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Tunicate posted:

Ancient jewelry is pretty darn cheap too. I mean, it's jewelry, sure, but it just costs about as much as midrange modern jewelry does.

From where? I know some people that'd make an amazing gift for.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Like if you're reading Caesar and your government somehow still has a frighteningly familiar eagle or two in its various logos, in 2CE or 200 or 500 or 1500 or 2020, congrats, you're a goddam roman.

Might as well slide in 700 BC Kingdom of Rome in there while you're at it.

It's not particularly wrong to look at the Roman identity as chemically dissolving, particles of romanism getting distributed far and wide until there's not much difference in Rome content between societies and yet being heavily diluted at the same time.

Not particularly worth anything for nationalism or absolute takes on cultural identity either.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Ancient jewelery is more sketchy. Probably a lot more fakes. A lot of the stuff is one of a kind. With coins you can weigh them, measure them, analyze the strike, the mint marks, the edges, because these things are standardized. But with the jewelry, you're pretty much relying on the seller. One thing to look for are "negs". Things a faker wouldn't do. I have a barbarian crucifix pendant. It's so hosed up and lovely looking that I can't imagine it being a fake, as it's not desirable.

I found them at coin conventions. 90% of the vendors only sell modern currency. Out of the 10% that sell ancient coins, three or so also have ancient trinkets and jewlery. Other than that its ebay, and online dealers.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Does anyone know the original name of the city that became Rome?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mr. Nice! posted:

If you mean the legendary version of Rome's founding it's Alba Longa.

Historically it might be Ruma, which is basically the Etruscan word for Rome. Nobody actually knows.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 30, 2020

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

If you mean the legendary version of Rome's founding it's Alba Longa.

Historically it might be Ruma, which is basically the Etruscan word for Rome. Nobody actually knows.

Gotcha. I just recall somewhere earlier in this thread discussion of how ancient cities were typically named after their patron deity or whatever, and the early Romans just kidnapped everyone's god and stashed it in Rome to bring them into the fold without pissing them off or necessarily destroying their culture. All the while the real name and patron of Rome was kept secret. Rome was the people, not the city.

I'm probably misremembering that.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Mr. Nice! posted:

Troy? :agesilaus:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nah, that's where Romans came from. I'm more interested in Latins they merged with to start the kingdom.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

Reme, didn't last long tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

Yep. There are literal billions of them and they're not worth anything after they're used for dating sites. Just make sure you do due diligence and are buying them reputably, like from a museum. People go out and dig up coin hoards and destroy archaeological sites, you don't want to support that. But ones that were excavated properly are then often sold to fund more archaeology, and in that situation they're perfectly fine to buy because the information's been recorded.

Is there actually any...I dunno, certificate like an aoc for historical stuff like that you can check?