Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Hey all,

I started making my own nut butters a few years ago, but I only recently noticed that once they are refrigerated, they no longer taste as divine as that first scoop I take right after it's finished in the food processor. Does it get spoiled this quickly?

A typical butter consists of almonds (16 oz), macadamia (8 oz), pecans (8 oz), sunflower (16 oz), bought at Trader Joe's, and I do not add anything else. The nuts are dry roasted (not by me, but by the company selling them) and unsalted, and it typically takes me ~8 weeks to eat it all, but I can already notice a loss of flavor after a 3 weeks. Or is it because I typically eat the nut butter cold, whereas it is still warm when I take the first bite right after processing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

BrianBoitano posted:

You're being pretty vague. What sort of alcohol do you want to convert? Anything under, idk, 7% ABV should be fine since Bragg's isn't pasteurized. It won't be as vigorous as a solid chunk of mother, but exponential growth being what it is you'll probably be fine.

Rum based bitters that are on their own like 40% alcohol but mixed with a ton of other vinegar talking low low abv. I'd like to use as a flavoring in hot sauce, would be cool if it converted to acetic acid but it's not really material to the final result just a cool thing to think about.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

theHUNGERian posted:

Hey all,

I started making my own nut butters a few years ago, but I only recently noticed that once they are refrigerated, they no longer taste as divine as that first scoop I take right after it's finished in the food processor. Does it get spoiled this quickly?

A typical butter consists of almonds (16 oz), macadamia (8 oz), pecans (8 oz), sunflower (16 oz), bought at Trader Joe's, and I do not add anything else. The nuts are dry roasted (not by me, but by the company selling them) and unsalted, and it typically takes me ~8 weeks to eat it all, but I can already notice a loss of flavor after a 3 weeks. Or is it because I typically eat the nut butter cold, whereas it is still warm when I take the first bite right after processing?

Cold definitely knocks down flavor in a lot of things. A restaurant I worked for made their own peanut butter in-house (similar to yours, unsalted and just nuts, nothing else). While we kept it refrigerated for storage, we'd pull a pint every morning and microwave it for like a minute just to take the chill off and make it more spreadable.

I'm sure it probably is best right after blending from not only the freshness but the heat that comes with blending, so maybe try that and see how it goes?

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 30, 2020

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Cold definitely knocks down flavor in a lot of things. A restaurant I worked for made their own peanut butter in-house (similar to yours, unsalted and just nuts, nothing else). While we kept it refrigerated for storage, we'd pull a pint every morning and microwave it for like a minute just to take the chill off and make it more spreadable.

I'm sure it probably is best right after blending from not only the freshness but the heat that comes with blending, so maybe try that and see how it goes?

Will try, and I am an idiot for not trying it sooner. The thought about temperature had occurred to me as I was posting.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

theHUNGERian posted:

Will try, and I am an idiot for not trying it sooner. The thought about temperature had occurred to me as I was posting.

Hey, no idiots here*, just folks with questions. :) Yeah, I'd say depending on how much you're using, just plop some on a small plate or ramekin and nuke it for 15 seconds or so to get the chill off. It's why you massively "over"-flavor ice cream, because once something's frozen, that vanilla/mint/chocolate/whatever has gotta work a whole lot harder to make your taste buds go "yay!" I imagine chilled nut butters work the same way.

*(The exception being that one (troll?) who was trying to eat chicken bones that had been in a crockpot for a week. WTF was that all about?)

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

alnilam posted:

Any fun things to do with baker's chocolate that aren't fudge, brownies, or cake?

Is it unsweetend? Maybe you could do a truffles/ganache if you dissolved the appropriate amount of sugar in the cream before melting the chocolate. I've only ever used sweetened dark chocolate for ganaches, so I can't guarantee it will work but I can't see why not.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Happiness Commando posted:

Should be fine, I think. It's just flour + baking powder, isn't it?

Edit: There's apparently salt in it too. That makes it less likely to succeed.

Hell I'd be more worried about the baking powder than the salt. A lot of lactobacillus don't mind salt (think lactic ferments like sauerkraut or kimchi), and yeast doesn't seem to mind raising bread with some salt in it. Gold medal at least clocks in around 3%-ish by dry weight salt, so it'd be around 2%-ish or less by the time you added water. That's around the high end for breads so not too crazy.

On the other hand, the lactic acid bacteria want to make it sour (this is the protective mechanism for stuff like sauerkraut) which baking powder would prevent.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Eeyo posted:

Hell I'd be more worried about the baking powder than the salt. A lot of lactobacillus don't mind salt (think lactic ferments like sauerkraut or kimchi), and yeast doesn't seem to mind raising bread with some salt in it. Gold medal at least clocks in around 3%-ish by dry weight salt, so it'd be around 2%-ish or less by the time you added water. That's around the high end for breads so not too crazy.

On the other hand, the lactic acid bacteria want to make it sour (this is the protective mechanism for stuff like sauerkraut) which baking powder would prevent.

You can probably make some soda bread with it though

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

We tried to make some bread last night, but could only find an ancient packet of yeast, and the dough hasnt risen. Is there anything I can do with completely unleavened bread dough?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

Scientastic posted:

We tried to make some bread last night, but could only find an ancient packet of yeast, and the dough hasn’t risen. Is there anything I can do with completely unleavened bread dough?

Eucharist?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Cold definitely knocks down flavor in a lot of things.
It's a complex subject. Many individual flavour notes are, in isolation, affected by changes in temperature in different ways--e.g. perception of sweetness appears to increase with heat (higher perceived sweetness of hot vs. room temperature and hot vs. cold samples, but not cold vs. room temperature), while sour seems to be U-shaped (perceived difference between room temperature and hot and room temperature and cold, but not between hot and cold). And some--e.g. saltiness--are generally, in isolation, not particularly temperature-sensitive. But when you have actual foods with a lot of different flavour notes, changes in the relative perception of the different flavours can result in perceived changes in the overall flavour profile--e.g. in salty and sour foods the perceived changes are generally in the saltiness, not the sourness, even though in isolation salty is less temperature-sensitive than sourness.

That all said, yeah when in doubt just reheat (or chill or whatever) the food to the original intended serving temperature and most of the time it'll work out.

Scientastic posted:

We tried to make some bread last night, but could only find an ancient packet of yeast, and the dough hasn’t risen. Is there anything I can do with completely unleavened bread dough?
You have invented hardtack. Roll it out into a sheet pan or something, bake at like 400 for a half hour or so, perforate or cut it into squares, flip it, cook for another half hour or so until it's good and dry, and then wrap it in something and it'll be there for you to continue to decline to eat it for months if not years.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Scientastic posted:

Keep it around, it'll rise eventually. You might want to up the hydration, though.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Scientastic posted:

Passover is in about a week!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

We went with hardtack, because at homeschool we had just got to the chapter of Dr. Doolittle where they have hardtack AND we are have Viking day on Wednesday.

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 30, 2020

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

Is the 9 in 1 instant pot worth it? Seems like the 7 in 1 can pretty much do all the same things?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

It can't do 2 of the things :colbert:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

7 is probably just fine and I don't even need to know what the 2 things are

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

One of them is an egg mode but it sounds gimmicky.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I fuckin' love Egg button.

Toss a little water in and an egg, push egg button.

Walk away, come back in ~5 minutes to a perfectly soft boiled egg with peel that flies off.

Hit + or - 1 if you want it softer or harder next time.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
If one of the optional buttons is Yoghurt I recommend splurging on it because it is really really useful for fermenting all kinds of stuff including yoghurt and bread.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I got a few pounds of frozen elk meat or something about 4 years ago. It's been vacuum sealed and sitting in the freezer that entire time. Visually looks ok. Should I just toss it? I think there is also some elk sausage. Also vacuum sealed.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Since yeast seems to be completely sold out in my area, I have a couple non expired packets here. Does it work to portion the packet, start 1/4 of it in a cup of water with a bit of sugar? Will the yeasticles propagate? Or are they just waking up from a nap, and not having sexy time.

I also have a couple bags of teff and plan to start some sourdough injera, but fluffy bread is nice. No one bought the bags of teff because it is mysterious...

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Speaking of yeast, IDY and ADY, are the unopened packets good to stay in a cabinet or should they be refrigerated? I know they arent refrigerated in the store, but just wondering about longevity.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I've always refrigerated them, but then again, only because my mother always did. They go in the butter drawer!

Now that I think about it, I have no evidence and this could be an old wives tale.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Freezer for longevity.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I like to make buffalo wings and the canonical buffalo wing sauce is a. 50/50 mix of butter and Franks Red Hot sauce. (Although any vinegary hot sauce works).

I've made this several times just by melting some butter and whisking in the hot sauce, but it always separates after a while.

Is there a good way to keep the sauce mixed?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

spankmeister posted:

I like to make buffalo wings and the canonical buffalo wing sauce is a. 50/50 mix of butter and Franks Red Hot sauce. (Although any vinegary hot sauce works).

I've made this several times just by melting some butter and whisking in the hot sauce, but it always separates after a while.

Is there a good way to keep the sauce mixed?

I guess you would need an emulsifier. A tablespoon of dijon would probably do the trick, mix that with the hot sauce then whisk in your butter slowly. Worth a shot. If you don't want the flavor of the mustard in there (not sure how well that would work) then you'd need ot use a chemical like xanthan gum.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Arkhamina posted:

Since yeast seems to be completely sold out in my area, I have a couple non expired packets here. Does it work to portion the packet, start 1/4 of it in a cup of water with a bit of sugar? Will the yeasticles propagate? Or are they just waking up from a nap, and not having sexy time.

I also have a couple bags of teff and plan to start some sourdough injera, but fluffy bread is nice. No one bought the bags of teff because it is mysterious...

Homebrewing science helps here! Exact answers are difficult, since viability, temperature, O2 content, and agitation are all factors, so here's my best guess:

1/4 of an 11g packet with 1.5 tsp (6 grams) sugar in 2 oz (60 mL) water to make "starter" strength wort (source, conversions mine)

If the yeast was purchased within the last year, let sit for 4-5 hours to double twice (source)

For every year beyond 1 it's old, add another 90 minutes for extra growth and an extra 1/2 tsp sugar at the beginning (assuming 20% loss at room temperature per year and fudging it for conservatism, source)

I'd add another 1-2 hours overall if your room temperature is less than 75F.

e: Any year in the fridge or freezer only counts for ~1/5 of a year at room temperature for the sake of checking the age.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 31, 2020

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Awesome, thanks! I Homebrew, but mostly kits, or small batches of fruit wines. Now I am morbidly curious what happens if you say, try to make bread with white wine or cider yeast.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I keep getting pantry moths.

Is there any reason not to put all my fruits and vegetables in Cambros to keep them out

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Is there any reason not to put all my fruits and vegetables in Cambros to keep them out

In my experience the fruit & veg tends to sweat moisture and if it's trapped inside a container it'll go mouldy pretty fast.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Man that produce gon get hosed up

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Fuuuck then what are my options if I wanna keep moths out

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Have you tried posting a "NO MOTHS ALLOWED" sign?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Friend, you just need a bigger, badder moth to start hanging around.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I thought they like flour? not oranges

are you sure you're cleaning the pantry well enough when you try to purge them?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Just be thankful you don't have pantry butterflies.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

Orange oil, neem oil, and food grade diatomaceous earth are all food safe and should help with moths and other pantry pests. Orange oil has a super strong (but not particularly unpleasant, unless you hate citrus) odour, and diatomaceous earth will get everywhere and make your pantry look like Tony Montana's desk. But better than moths.

And yeah, beyond the moisture problem if you keep a shitload of fruit in an enclosed airspace it's going to be ethylene party time in there and everything'll ripen to mush in no time flat.

tuyop posted:

Friend, you just need a bigger, badder moth to start hanging around.
Introducing parasitic wasps is actually a viable, if potentially Aesopian, solution.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Steve Yun posted:

Pillow case? Pantyhose?

You need a bug barrier that's not a vapor barrier.

Broadly, one of the best things I've found for kitchen pests is boric acid. It'll kill insects, but doesn't seem to do much to spiders and is actually less toxic to humans or pets than table salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Having just dealt with pantry moths the easiest way to get rid of them is to burn your house down.

If that isn't practical then you need to do a serious deep clean of your pantry and kitchen.

1. Take everything out of your pantry and inspect it for signs of moths, larvae and webbing. They can chew through cardboard and thin plastic so look for holes in packaging as well as obvious moths and larvae.
Throw out anything that you think is infested. They love grains and starches, so rice, pasta, couscous, quinoa, flour, freekeh, cornflour, spices, nuts, cereals, anything dried etc etc etc. Check everything and if anything is even suspect you need to throw it out. Take everything you are throwing out to your outside bin, do not keep it in the house.
You can 'quarantine' some things if you need to and inspect it every day for signs of them hatching.

2. Cleaning. Clean your Pantry with kitchen spray making sure to wipe every surface and get in all corners and nooks and crannies. The eggs are microscopic and a female moth will lay hundreds and you can't see them. Plus the larvae can travel a surprising distance from where they hatch to find a food source. If your pantry has extra peg holes where shelves could go then you need to clean inside those too as they are the perfect egg hatchery.
Then make a 50/50 vinegar water solution and wipe the entire pantry down with that.
Wipe over all the packaging of food that's going back in the pantry, all your tins, jars and bottles.

3. Clean your kitchen. Take a look up at where your walls and ceiling meet. Is there webbing up there? cocoons? get up there and clean them away with the vinegar solution. Check your light fittings, on top of cupboards, everywhere. Check nearby rooms too.
Check your cookbooks. I found cocoons on my cookbooks nestled in the gap between the top/bottom of the pages and the cover.

4. get a pheromone pantry moth trap and put it in your pantry. Weep every time a new moth appears in it overnight as you are loving sure you cleaned and sealed every loving thing.

5. Restock your pantry. A lot of people will put the food in the freezer for a couple of weeks first to kill any eggs that could be in it.
Keep all the food that pantry moths love in screw top containers. I found they can get into a lot of tubs as they can wriggle under the rubber seal to get in them. Airtight tubs might work with a thicker gasket. Try them and see.

6. Good luck. They naturally die off in autumn and winter, but the eggs don't. So you can get a resurgence in the spring. Be vigilant, keep dried foods sealed and inspect regularly for signs of them. Eventually you'll starve them out. Or you'll burn your house down.

This list isn't exhaustive. If anyone has anything to add please do.