Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Motronic posted:

Do you mean, like.....a rotary hammer (which is what you should have rented) or a regular hand drill but with a setting that has a picture of a hammer on it? A link to what you rented would probably answer that.

This is the model I rented.

https://www.homedepot.com/tool-truck-rental/Roto-Hammer-1/HR2811F/index.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
That's a legit hammer drill. It takes SDS+ drills.

Chuck Type: Accepts SDS-PLUS

Are you running it on hammer mode, combined, or drill mode? You should be running in combo mode, and using an SDS+ drill, not a regular twist drill.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 15, 2020

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

sharkytm posted:

That's a legit hammer drill. It takes SDS+ drills.

Chuck Type: Accepts SDS-PLUS

Are you running it on hammer mode, combined, or drill mode?

Combined.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

You using an SDS drill?

I'm wondering if there's a metal or wood layer behind the brick veneer... You'd need to hammer drill through the brick, them drill through the metal or wood with a twist drill.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Agreed with the above - you rented the right thing. It's hard to tell with your pics....but it looks like more brick? And no sign of any work being done on it so maybe what you were trying to drill isn't in the pic?

Does is have some "give" when you put in on it? Might just need a different bit to get through a different material as was suggested.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

sharkytm posted:

You using an SDS drill?

I'm wondering if there's a metal or wood layer behind the brick veneer... You'd need to hammer drill through the brick, them drill through the metal or wood with a twist drill.

Might be.

The Fix It Fast thread seems to think there’s super dense concrete back there with only about 1” of actual brick.

Whatever drill I buy, I think it’d be best for it to take SDS-Plus bits. The guy at Home Depot told me my rental takes SDS-Max bits, but SDS-Plus bits are the only kind my store carries, and I’d prefer not to have to order something online because time is a factor.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Motronic posted:

Does is have some "give" when you put in on it? Might just need a different bit to get through a different material as was suggested.

It only has give until I reach about an inch deep. Then it just refuses to go further than that.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

I. M. Gei posted:

It only has give until I reach about an inch deep. Then it just refuses to go further than that.

Does it feel like wood or metal or stone at the back of the holes? The pictures look like cement or stone, but an SDS+ in combo mode would drill through that. Where's your house? Basement walls are concrete, right? Test drill a shallow hole there to see if it feels the same? I'm kinda stumped?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

sharkytm posted:

Does it feel like wood or metal or stone at the back of the holes? The pictures look like cement or stone, but an SDS+ in combo mode would drill through that. Where's your house? Basement walls are concrete, right? Test drill a shallow hole there to see if it feels the same? I'm kinda stumped?

I don’t know what any of those feel like to drill into. All I know is that in combo mode the drill just bounces off of it like a girl loving a floor dildo (I literally couldn’t come up with a better description of it than this, I am tired as hell).

My house is in Texas. It’s one floor and it sits on a slope. We don’t have a basement.

Someone I talked to at Home Depot thinks the problem was with the bit I rented. They recommended this drill, plus a new bit.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 15, 2020

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

I. M. Gei posted:

I don’t know what any of those feel like to drill into. All I know is that in combo mode the drill just bounces off of it like a girl loving a floor dildo (I literally couldn’t come up with a better description of it than this, I am tired as hell).

My house is in Texas. It’s one floor and it sits on a slope. We don’t have a basement.

Someone I talked to at Home Depot thinks the problem was with the bit I rented. They recommended this drill, plus a new bit.
[timg]https://i.imgur.com/hvkd04p.jpg[/timg

I live in texas and had trouble getting into my slab in one place. Rented this exact tool and it went in like butter.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I swear to God that Ryobi has the same scam going on with batteries that HP does with inkjet cartridges. Got two in a pack at Christmas to replace two previous ones that had died and the charger swears one's already defective. Never again.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Weird. I've never had a single issue with any Ryobi stuff, especially the batteries. I've got a few 18v lithium batteries from 6 years ago that still work great without any noticable lack in performance. I think I have a half dozen batteries and they all work great.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Phanatic posted:

I swear to God that Ryobi has the same scam going on with batteries that HP does with inkjet cartridges. Got two in a pack at Christmas to replace two previous ones that had died and the charger swears one's already defective. Never again.
Did you register them? As long as you make sure to register everything, Ryobi's guarantee isn't terrible.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Verman posted:

Weird. I've never had a single issue with any Ryobi stuff, especially the batteries. I've got a few 18v lithium batteries from 6 years ago that still work great without any noticable lack in performance. I think I have a half dozen batteries and they all work great.

My oldest battery, a lovely 1.3ah one, occasionally acts flaky and the charger acts like it's bad but every time I put it on the torch, use it until it dies a painful death and it just happily charges up again. 2013 I think?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I got a link belt for my band saw, and it seems to be kicking rear end-- but the tails on the links aren't riding neatly in the pulley grooves like I think they're supposed to, the whole belt just kind of cocks off to one side so like... the corner of the tail seats into the groove.

What am I doing wrong here?

E: oh of course I bought an A belt and not a 3L, what a fool am I

Sockser fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 17, 2020

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Phanatic posted:

They aren't getting super hot, are they? I fastened down deck planks once on a 100 degree day, with a big rear end patio umbrella so I didn't die. Well, the manual for the charger said it won't charge batteries if they're over 96 degrees. So I put them in the freezer for 5 minutes then charged them inside the house.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Nope, not hot at all. Sitting on the shelf for months, stuck them on the charger to fill up before a job.

Four batteries. Two older, two about 4 months old. Two chargers. Old batteries are reported as defective by both chargers. One of the new batteries works on charger A, but not charger B. The other works on B, but not A. Yeesh.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
https://twitter.com/Physicsastrono9/status/1242541960071647241?s=20

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Using this to the underside of my 4runner would probably cause it to implode. The rust is structural at this point.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

I scrolled past this quickly and was like... wut?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I want a pressure washer for cleaning off my patio, porch, etc. What should I look for when shopping for one? Any particular brands to go with or avoid?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Funny, I too was considering a pressure washer, mostly for cleaning my dirt bike. They are one of those things that I feel like most people but thinking they'll use them more than they do and they wind up sitting in a garage. Thought about buying used but scared of what I'll get.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

For stuff like cleaning a dirt bike I’d recommend the sub $100 electric Ryobi. I’ve used mine mainly for cleaning off my patio and it works great for that. You probably aren’t stripping a deck with it but it’s nice to not have to deal with gas and it’s extremely compact.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

This drill loving BROKE lol

Please recommend me a new drill.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I. M. Gei posted:

You probably want almost any rotary hammer drill. The rotary prefix tends to mean they can hammer or drill and are more suited to the task of going through anything. I installed two TV wall mounts into a building. Upstairs my regular hammer drill was able to make it into the cinderblock wall although it took some time and noise. Downstairs, which was concrete walls since it was apparently a bomb shelter when it was built, I was barely able to make one hole in about an hour. I had to let the battery and bit cool off more than once. I borrowed a dewalt rotary hammer drill with the SDS masonry bit and made every other hole in less than a minute. I can't speak to a specific brand but I expect almost anything would do it as long as its a rotary hammer drill.

I don't remember the model I used but it was probably about the same as this one:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-8-5-Amp-1-1-8-in-Corded-SDS-plus-D-Handle-Concrete-Masonry-Rotary-Hammer-Drill-Kit-D25263K/301224266

$170 seems a bit much for a single project but I don't know if the harbor freight $100 ones would be as good.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Rexxed posted:

You probably want almost any rotary hammer drill.

That broke one WAS a rotary hammer drill.

... I think.

Maybe it wasn’t, I dunno. It had a rotary only mode and a rotary-plus-hammer combo mode, but no hammer only mode.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
There's a hammer drill, and then there's a rotary hammer.

Think about it this way:

A hammer drill is a drill that also hammers.

A rotary hammer is a hammer that also drills.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

n0tqu1tesane posted:

There's a hammer drill, and then there's a rotary hammer.

Think about it this way:

A hammer drill is a drill that also hammers.

A rotary hammer is a hammer that also drills.

What’s a rotary hammer drill, then?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I. M. Gei posted:

A thing that goes through concrete like butter.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I. M. Gei posted:

An also that also also's

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Rexxed posted:

You probably want almost any rotary hammer drill. The rotary prefix tends to mean they can hammer or drill and are more suited to the task of going through anything. I installed two TV wall mounts into a building. Upstairs my regular hammer drill was able to make it into the cinderblock wall although it took some time and noise. Downstairs, which was concrete walls since it was apparently a bomb shelter when it was built, I was barely able to make one hole in about an hour. I had to let the battery and bit cool off more than once. I borrowed a dewalt rotary hammer drill with the SDS masonry bit and made every other hole in less than a minute. I can't speak to a specific brand but I expect almost anything would do it as long as its a rotary hammer drill.

I don't remember the model I used but it was probably about the same as this one:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-8-5-Amp-1-1-8-in-Corded-SDS-plus-D-Handle-Concrete-Masonry-Rotary-Hammer-Drill-Kit-D25263K/301224266

$170 seems a bit much for a single project but I don't know if the harbor freight $100 ones would be as good.

I checked and my Home Depot doesn’t have that DeWalt in stock, but they DO have this identical-looking Milwaukee for about the same price:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-8-Amp-Corded-1-in-SDS-D-Handle-Rotary-Hammer-5262-21/203000510

Would this work?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I. M. Gei posted:

I checked and my Home Depot doesn’t have that DeWalt in stock, but they DO have this identical-looking Milwaukee for about the same price:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-8-Amp-Corded-1-in-SDS-D-Handle-Rotary-Hammer-5262-21/203000510

Would this work?

I'm sure it would. Don't forget the SDS bits, they're different from normal bits and have little side grabby grooves on them.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

I. M. Gei posted:

Would this work?

Yeah, that'll work fine. The trick to getting it to dig in fast and keep cutting is to put some weight on it, and back it out every 10-15 seconds. The powder loads up the tip and rubs, creating heat. if you don't relieve that by pulling the bit up out of the hole to pull the dust out, you'll burn the carbide tip and the drill is now hosed.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I. M. Gei posted:

How old is it? Will they not honor/replace?

p.s. I'm glad you posted this, not because I hate Makita, totally the opposite; but because even top brands do put out occasional lemons.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Rexxed posted:

I'm sure it would. Don't forget the SDS bits, they're different from normal bits and have little side grabby grooves on them.

He already had a rotary hammer and didn't get far. Check his post history in this thread.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Mr. Mambold posted:

How old is it? Will they not honor/replace?

Oh I can totally take it back. And I’m gonna. I just need to know what to get to replace it since I don’t really trust that specific model anymore.

I’ve only had it about 2 weeks and I haven’t used it that much.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

sharkytm posted:

He already had a rotary hammer and didn't get far. Check his post history in this thread.

Yeah the one that he rented was a rotary hammer drill but being a rental it could've been messed up. The hammer drill he bought afterwards that broke wasn't rotary and while I'm surprised it broke, my advice is predicated on a normal hammer drill being insufficient for the job. If he's got some kind of house masonry wall to install the lag bolts for his trellis that the milwaukee rotary hammer drill can't get through then he's got to be drilling into some kind of heavy steel plate or something which seems unlikely. I'd guess it's hard concrete and maybe he's hitting rebar, although they should get through that too with some extra effort if he's got a good carbide bit.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Rexxed posted:

Yeah the one that he rented was a rotary hammer drill but being a rental it could've been messed up. The hammer drill he bought afterwards that broke wasn't rotary and while I'm surprised it broke, my advice is predicated on a normal hammer drill being insufficient for the job. If he's got some kind of house masonry wall to install the lag bolts for his trellis that the milwaukee rotary hammer drill can't get through then he's got to be drilling into some kind of heavy steel plate or something which seems unlikely. I'd guess it's hard concrete and maybe he's hitting rebar, although they should get through that too with some extra effort if he's got a good carbide bit.

The problem with the rental ended up being the bits I rented along with it, not the rotary hammer/hammer drill itself. The bits were dulled to poo poo. I got some brand new sharp bits with the Makita rotary drillhammer whateverthefuck I bought and was at least able to make decent-ish holes after that.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
I've got to think renting masonry bits is a bit like borrowing a condom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Hubis posted:

I've got to think renting masonry bits is a bit like borrowing a condom

Like buying a rental car.