Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Samuringa posted:

Can totally see why it'd be frustrating, but picking something like that up, or a Pyranha Bytes game, is always a unique experience.

The problem with Pyranha Bytes is that you arrive in the first town, get your "hello random pleb, please go save my brother from bad guys" quest, and it takes about 6 hours of scraping together levels until you can actually do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I would like to live on the citadel and have awesome space adventures with commander Shepard please

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
You can't, they ran out of ideas after one game and blew up the universe/franchise after three games :toot:

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

People complain about it a lot when it happens, even here in the sister thread, but I honestly love it when you unknowingly wander into an area much too high-level for you, or even cross paths with a super strong monster in an otherwise low-level area, and get your poo poo stomped instantly. Either it leads to a really intense, exciting fight like Sandwich Anarchist said, or it’s pretty funny to watch your character suddenly get swatted like a fly.

I really like the Xenoblade series for this. Pokemon Sword and Shield have some randomly overpowered Pokemon wandering around too. Makes things more interesting

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

orcane posted:

You can't, they ran out of ideas after one game and blew up the universe/franchise after three games :toot:

Also the company will be dead soon.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

People complain about it a lot when it happens, even here in the sister thread, but I honestly love it when you unknowingly wander into an area much too high-level for you, or even cross paths with a super strong monster in an otherwise low-level area, and get your poo poo stomped instantly. Either it leads to a really intense, exciting fight like Sandwich Anarchist said, or it’s pretty funny to watch your character suddenly get swatted like a fly.

I have good memories of doing something like this in Xenoblade Chronicles X. The was a potential warp point off to the side of one area, but it was across a couple stone arches guarded by enemies like 20 levels higher than me. I ate poo poo like a half dozen times trying to sneak around them, but eventually I was able to jump past one sleeping on the edge of the arch and make a break for my goal.

Hell, one of the five continents is pretty much built on that. Huge numbers of really high level enemies, typically giant ones who could kill you with an errant step, typically disguised as environmental bits, meant to be taken on only towards the very end of the game. You could take them on if you wanted, or more likely if you were careless with AoEs. It would very quickly make you very cautious about what you were doing when the big level 70 robot was floating around when you were sneaking around at level 25.

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013
Been playing RE 2 Remake since it was on sale and we're all inside forever, and I really love Tyrant's footsteps. A good set of headphones means I can hear precisely where he is in the building, to the point of thinking "alright, he's upstairs somewhere in the hallway outside of the STARS office" when I'm coming out of the 1st floor save room.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

orcane posted:

:(

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Ashsaber posted:

I have good memories of doing something like this in Xenoblade Chronicles X. The was a potential warp point off to the side of one area, but it was across a couple stone arches guarded by enemies like 20 levels higher than me. I ate poo poo like a half dozen times trying to sneak around them, but eventually I was able to jump past one sleeping on the edge of the arch and make a break for my goal.

Hell, one of the five continents is pretty much built on that. Huge numbers of really high level enemies, typically giant ones who could kill you with an errant step, typically disguised as environmental bits, meant to be taken on only towards the very end of the game. You could take them on if you wanted, or more likely if you were careless with AoEs. It would very quickly make you very cautious about what you were doing when the big level 70 robot was floating around when you were sneaking around at level 25.

Landing on Sylvalum for the first time is genuinely one of my top 10 "wow" moments in video games, right next to finishing the Elite Four in Pokemon Gold and then realising you get to explore all of Kanto next

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

heckyeahpathy posted:

Been playing RE 2 Remake since it was on sale and we're all inside forever, and I really love Tyrant's footsteps. A good set of headphones means I can hear precisely where he is in the building, to the point of thinking "alright, he's upstairs somewhere in the hallway outside of the STARS office" when I'm coming out of the 1st floor save room.

Yeah, I loved how he was actually physically present and looking for you, rather than just scripted to appear near you. Made the chase feel a lot scarier and intense.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

RE2 Remake is the best Terminator game we've ever gotten.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Crowetron posted:

RE2 Remake is the best Terminator game we've ever gotten.

I can’t wait for 3make and my boy nemesis

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I got around to beating Flintstones: Rescue of Dino and Hoppy on the nes yesterday and loved how the final boss was presented. Every time you beat one of his escalating weapons, he gets out of it more injured than the last one. The first one, just a gun, leaves him with a black eye, then when you take out the small walking vehicle he's limping away on crutches with a broken leg, and after taking down the final tank he can barely crawl offscreen. It's a very funny series of animations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’m becoming increasingly convinced that our buddy BioEnchanted is just a neural net hooked into that twitter bot that makes up fake games on random systems.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Warbird posted:

I’m becoming increasingly convinced that our buddy BioEnchanted is just a neural net hooked into that twitter bot that makes up fake games on random systems.

i Have No PS4 and I Must Game.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Generally I think that's the best approach to any RPG-ish game with levels. The difficult part is making sure there's multiple things to do at a given level so you don't feel totally boxed in (though it does help that if, through skilled enough play, you can punch above your weight.)

----

So I picked up Hyrule Warriors: The Definitive Edition- I had the Wii U version but this has a lot more stuff, everything and every bit of DLC from both the Wii U and 3DS releases, etc. I knew about Linkle, the girl Link who raises cuccos and has no sense of direction (and is also one of the best and most OP characters in the game), but what I didn't realize was *she has story missions.*

And it's adorable. Basically she always grew up knowing she'd be the hero of destiny, she has a magic compass she inherited from her grandmother, and when she hears Hyrule is in trouble she sets off for the castle and instantly gets lost, instead wandering into different battles but always being brave and helpful.

She will, when you're not playing her, frequently sing the "got item" music.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Maxwell Lord posted:

The elf character I created for Inquisition ended up looking kinda half-elf, half-horse.
That's every elf after they remodeled them for DA2, though.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

U.T. Raptor posted:

Different standards of beauty :v:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've started trying again at Yoshi's Wooly world because I never got more than a couple of worlds into it because I got stuck at the level where you have to collect 4 keys, and just realised that the living knots that you need to follow until they attach to a piece of environment so that you can unravel it are a pun. They fly like a butterfly. They are Butterfly Knots

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Warbird posted:

BioEnchanted posted:

I've started trying again at Yoshi's Wooly world because I never got more than a couple of worlds into it because I got stuck at the level where you have to collect 4 keys, and just realised that the living knots that you need to follow until they attach to a piece of environment so that you can unravel it are a pun. They fly like a butterfly. They are Butterfly Knots

poo poo, I think you opened Schrodinger's box Warbird; now he's talking about games that we know actually exist :ohdear:.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Maxwell Lord posted:

Generally I think that's the best approach to any RPG-ish game with levels. The difficult part is making sure there's multiple things to do at a given level so you don't feel totally boxed in (though it does help that if, through skilled enough play, you can punch above your weight.)

----

So I picked up Hyrule Warriors: The Definitive Edition- I had the Wii U version but this has a lot more stuff, everything and every bit of DLC from both the Wii U and 3DS releases, etc. I knew about Linkle, the girl Link who raises cuccos and has no sense of direction (and is also one of the best and most OP characters in the game), but what I didn't realize was *she has story missions.*

And it's adorable. Basically she always grew up knowing she'd be the hero of destiny, she has a magic compass she inherited from her grandmother, and when she hears Hyrule is in trouble she sets off for the castle and instantly gets lost, instead wandering into different battles but always being brave and helpful.

Wait until you realize her compass points her not where she wants to go, but where she’s needed

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

U.T. Raptor posted:

The elves in Original Sin 2 intentionally look like a Ps1 model that got high-res and I think that's a really cool way of making them seen unnaturally 'exotic' without just being all being incredibly pretty people.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Ori 2 is really good with a lot of neat small details, but my favorite is that there's this guy you can donate items to to help rebuild stuff, and when you do so instead of standing around watching him work you can see ori helping him out and that's really cute.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

Young Link's my favorite character since he can just exchange his special attack bar for magic and steamroll basically any fight at that point.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

Young Link's my favorite character since he can just exchange his special attack bar for magic and steamroll basically any fight at that point.

Yeah in a game full of insane bullshit, Young Link's Fierce Deity Mode is possibly the single most broken insane bullshit ever.

(And it's fine. This game doesn't need balance, it's about becoming a god of battle.)

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The tarantula is the dark souls of Animal Crossing.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

----

It'll definitely happen, right? :smith:

Also for some fun, if you have no crossbow charge, press X while standing still and Linkle will make the "got item" song, and she'll also flip up/down her hood.

Leal has a new favorite as of 20:46 on Mar 30, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Yeah, I loved how he was actually physically present and looking for you, rather than just scripted to appear near you. Made the chase feel a lot scarier and intense.

IIRC they cheated a little bit. There's two of them hunting you but they're scripted in a way that only one will be around, so it looks like it outsmarted or flanked you

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Calaveron posted:

Wait until you realize her compass points her not where she wants to go, but where she’s needed

It points to treasure chests and boss battles.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

RBA Starblade posted:

IIRC they cheated a little bit. There's two of them hunting you but they're scripted in a way that only one will be around, so it looks like it outsmarted or flanked you

UMBRELLLLLAAAAAA!!!! :argh:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

It'll definitely happen, right? :smith:

Also for some fun, if you have no crossbow charge, press X while standing still and Linkle will make the "got item" song, and she'll also flip up/down her hood.

Hell, Linkle needs her own game.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

RBA Starblade posted:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The best thing about Linkle is that the game initially frames it as "ohohoh, she's so silly and lost" but you eventually realize that her compass is in fact guiding her to exactly where a hero is needed at the time. It is just that most of those places are not Hyrule Castle until she shows up to literally save the day at the end.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Control's new DLC, Foundation: Jesse Faden Starring In: "Swift Platform"

It's not quite as good as the Ashtray Maze but it's still a real highlight of the DLC so far.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

The best thing about Linkle is that the game initially frames it as "ohohoh, she's so silly and lost" but you eventually realize that her compass is in fact guiding her to exactly where a hero is needed at the time. It is just that most of those places are not Hyrule Castle until she shows up to literally save the day at the end.

Yeah, at first I thought her campaign was a pretty mean-spirited jab at the female Link hype at the time (the "of course she's not the REAL hero :smug:" at the beginning seemed like it was talking directly to the fans), then it clicked

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Been playing Mount & Blade 2 a bit and the little thing is that random packs of looters are STILL FASTER THAN ME AND IM ON A GODDAMN HORSE

I know how the speed actually works, they just didn't tune the early game all that well.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Polaron posted:

Control's new DLC, Foundation: Jesse Faden Starring In: "Swift Platform"

It's not quite as good as the Ashtray Maze but it's still a real highlight of the DLC so far.

It gets much less good if you have to retry it a couple of times. I do appreciate how unique it was, though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah in a game full of insane bullshit, Young Link's Fierce Deity Mode is possibly the single most broken insane bullshit ever.

(And it's fine. This game doesn't need balance, it's about becoming a god of battle.)

I know, it's great! It only needed a few things personally. It has a couple characters I don't really like to play as and I wish enemy characters (Like if you're fighting Midna and get a material drop from her) would drop a few of their things instead of only 1 at a time.

ImpAtom posted:

It's actually taking her around the continent doing side quests so she won't be horribly underleveled for the final battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I like that the Surge 2 does a run down of how long it took you to beat the game, how much you died, damage taken, damage healed, etc versus the global average and then provides sub breakouts by zone and by boss. It turns out Im worse at bosses than the average person but still had half the deaths and beat the game in 14 less hours despite doing all sidequests.